windows explorer connecting to internet

Hi,

from time to time, windows explorer tries to connect to the internet. I
understand this has something to do with the close interaction between
Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Now where on the Internet does
Windows explorer want to go? Is it harmful? Must it be blocked, eg by Zone
Alarm?

regrads,

BRM
0
Bicycle
9/21/2002 4:31:00 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:31:10 GMT Bicycle Repair Man posted the following to
grc.security.software:

> Hi,
>
> from time to time, windows explorer tries to connect to the internet.
> I understand this has something to do with the close interaction
> between Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Now where on the
> Internet does Windows explorer want to go? Is it harmful? Must it be
> blocked, eg by Zone Alarm?
>
> regrads,
>
> BRM

Windows Explorer can act as a browser just by typing a URL into its
address bar window.  You need to figure out why it would need access.

I don't allow Windows Explorer in ZAP to access the internet zone, only
the trusted zone, for access on the lan.  I use the Program Control
feature in that fashion because that's its purpose.  Use the F/W to
control outbound access, allow the access, investigate the attempt, or
ignore it, like I do.

You can turn off Alerts for those things if that would help you ignore
it.

--
Have a Good Day, 'cause it beats having a Bad Day!

Tim
0
Tim
9/21/2002 5:18:00 PM
"Bicycle Repair Man" <no.reply@all.no> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> from time to time, windows explorer tries to connect to the
internet. I
> understand this has something to do with the close interaction
between
> Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Now where on the
Internet does
> Windows explorer want to go? Is it harmful? Must it be blocked,
eg by Zone
> Alarm?

==> Which OS and what flavor of IE?

--
Phil /MBA
                               \\\///
"PhilGreg" <p.gregory@prexar.com> wrote in message

> ==> Which OS and what flavor of IE?
0
Bicycle
9/21/2002 5:48:00 PM
Tim,

I am more of less aware of that. But, I am not typing a URL in Windows
Explorer.

Windows explorer and IE have the same 'engine', could it be that typing a
URL in IE can sort of trigger 'a part of 'Windows Explorer'.

FYI, I have Windows Explorer blocked for Internet, and was ignoring the
alerts, only since a day or two I have  Visual Zone and I am surprised that
roughly 95 % (!) of the alerts is of the type "Windows explorer was blocked
from connecting to the Internet".

Perhaps I should not look at visual zone ;-)

regards,

BRM

"Tim Daniel" <MEtmdaniel@THERE.nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:31:10 GMT Bicycle Repair Man posted the following to
> grc.security.software:
>>
> Windows Explorer can act as a browser just by typing a URL into its
> address bar window.  You need to figure out why it would need access.
>
> I don't allow Windows Explorer in ZAP to access the internet zone, only
> the trusted zone, for access on the lan.  I use the Program Control
> feature in that fashion because that's its purpose.  Use the F/W to
> control outbound access, allow the access, investigate the attempt, or
> ignore it, like I do.
>
> You can turn off Alerts for those things if that would help you ignore
> it.
0
Bicycle
9/21/2002 5:53:00 PM
Bicycle Repair Man <no.reply@all.no> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> from time to time, windows explorer tries to connect to the internet. I
> understand this has something to do with the close interaction between
> Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Now where on the Internet does
> Windows explorer want to go? Is it harmful? Must it be blocked, eg by Zone
> Alarm?

See if this helps.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zapIssuesFAQ.jsp#2issues

http://store.www5.zonelabs.master.com/texis/master/search/?q=explorer

--
Robert
List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/

this is not what I meant. Your link refers to IE earlier than 5.01, I have
6.0 SP1. It is not that IE is recognised as Windows Explorer, but rather
that Windows Explorer tries to connect to Internet.
I always have this, like i said since Visual Zone I realised that it is the
majority of my alerts.

(Oh yeah, always I have the latest Intelligent Updater signatures from
Symantec, before someone asks ;-)

regards,

BRM

"Robert Wycoff" <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote in message
> Bicycle Repair Man <no.reply@all.no> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > from time to time, windows explorer tries to connect to the internet. I
> > understand this has something to do with the close interaction between
> > Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Now where on the Internet does
> > Windows explorer want to go? Is it harmful? Must it be blocked, eg by
Zone
> > Alarm?
>
> See if this helps.
>
> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zapIssuesFAQ.jsp#2issues
>
> http://store.www5.zonelabs.master.com/texis/master/search/?q=explorer
>
> --
> Robert
> List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/
> Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site -
> http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm

0
Bicycle
9/21/2002 9:46:00 PM
On 21-Sep-2002, "Bicycle Repair Man" <no.reply@all.no> wrote:

> from time to time, windows explorer tries to connect to the internet. I
> understand this has something to do with the close interaction between
> Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Now where on the Internet does
> Windows explorer want to go? Is it harmful? Must it be blocked, eg by Zone
> Alarm?

I have noticed in XP, both pre and after IE6SP1, that windows explorer does
try to connect to the internet from time to time. It happens when I do a
file search, for example. Not every time, but often. It annoyed me too, so
with ZAP 3.0.134, I Xed it for all internet access. I have noticed no
degradation of performance. I don't use the windows search feature for
Internet searches. I use IE, and the permissions are different. By the way,
you don't have a Dell computer do you?

SS
0
sunshinesuewithashin
9/21/2002 11:13:00 PM
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:53:24 GMT Bicycle Repair Man posted the following to
grc.security.software:

> Tim,
>
> I am more of less aware of that. But, I am not typing a URL in Windows
> Explorer.

Never can tell.  Didn't mean to imply that you were, just making a point.

> Windows explorer and IE have the same 'engine', could it be that
> typing a URL in IE can sort of trigger 'a part of 'Windows Explorer'.

Not that I'm aware of.  I beleive it's more a case of 'Windows Explorer'
triggering a part of IE.

> FYI, I have Windows Explorer blocked for Internet, and was ignoring
> the alerts, only since a day or two I have  Visual Zone and I am
> surprised that roughly 95 % (!) of the alerts is of the type "Windows
> explorer was blocked from connecting to the Internet".

No clue here.  You have to look see what is using Windows Explorer to
access the Internet.  We can't do that for you.  Of course, OS and other
particulars would help, and I saw the other request and response for
same, so NOW I know you're running ME w/ IE6.  ME is still 9x, and you'll
have to dig into things to figure out who's doing what.  I gave up on 9x
a long time ago.  Run it for the wife and kids, 'cause some of the
childrens stuff won't run on an NT kernel, but I've lived in NT4, and
WIN2K now for years.  I've never seen an instance of Windows Explorer
attempting access to the Internet that I couldn't figure out.  Try it!

> Perhaps I should not look at visual zone ;-)

If seeing the blocked attempts bothers you, by all means don't look at
the logs.  Other wise, utilize what they offer, as little as it sometimes
is, and go from there.

You have all the information you need to figure this out.  You're asking
us for help while providing no data.  What do you want from us?

And for what it's worth, I beleive you'll find (expecially in these news
groups) that Top Posting is frowned upon.

--
Have a Good Day, 'cause it beats having a Bad Day!

Tim
0
Tim
9/22/2002 12:53:00 AM
> WinME, IE6 SP1
> "PhilGreg" <p.gregory@prexar.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ==> Which OS and what flavor of IE?

==> This may happen from time to time because of the tight
integration of IE w/Windows Explorer. Following is a solution
that works in 98. Because ME is a hybrid I can't swear it will
work but if the reg entry is there it should.
Go to; Start/Run type in   regedit   and left click HKEY_Current
User
Click down through
Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/BrowserNewProc
ess
In the right pane change "NO" to "YES"

HTH

--
Phil /MBA
                               \\\///

> "Bicycle Repair Man" <no.reply@all.no> wrote in message
> > WinME, IE6 SP1
> > "PhilGreg" <p.gregory@prexar.com> wrote in message

> > > ==> Which OS and what flavor of IE?

> ==> This may happen from time to time because of the tight
> integration of IE w/Windows Explorer. Following is a solution
> that works in 98. Because ME is a hybrid I can't swear it will
> work but if the reg entry is there it should.
> Go to; Start/Run type in   regedit   and left click HKEY_Current
> User
> Click down through
>Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/BrowserNewProc
> ess
> In the right pane change "NO" to "YES"

> HTH

> Phil /MBA

Phil
I did added this few years ago when I was rookie,  and Today I was checking
to be sure it 's there.
Tell me which is correct way
BrowserNewProcess is in left panel (value) of the Exploer Folder?
Or
(key) BrowserNewProcess folder under the Explorer folder, make a value
"BrowserNewProcess, and data "YES"

Is both method work the same way?
I did the latter and work fine since then.

NS
0
Nice
9/22/2002 2:00:00 AM
On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:31:10 +0200, "Bicycle Repair Man"
<no.reply@all.no> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>from time to time, windows explorer tries to connect to the internet. I
>understand this has something to do with the close interaction between
>Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Now where on the Internet does
>Windows explorer want to go? Is it harmful? Must it be blocked, eg by =
Zone
>Alarm?
>
>regrads,
>
>BRM

Start/settings/control panel/Folder Options/View Tab make sure "Launch
folder windows in a seperate process" is checked.

--=20
WayneXXX

Reply to newsgroup only, unless asked.
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/04/spam.htm
uce@ftc.gov

Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC)
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
0
WayneXXX
9/22/2002 3:36:00 AM
"WayneXXX" <TZVAUFQGHVFO@spammotel.com> wrote in message
Start/settings/control panel/Folder Options/View Tab make sure "Launch
folder windows in a seperate process" is checked.

WayneXXX

Is this same as in win98, Explorer> View> Folder Options and on General tab,
radio dotted "Custom,based on setting you choose" and hit Setting> Browse
folders as follows
Open each folder in the same window
Open each folder in its own window

NS
0
Nice
9/22/2002 3:58:00 AM
"Nice Shot" <ns@nospam.com> wrote in message

[snip]
> Phil
> I did added this few years ago when I was rookie,  and Today I
was checking
> to be sure it 's there.
> Tell me which is correct way
> BrowserNewProcess is in left panel (value) of the Exploer
Folder?
> Or
> (key) BrowserNewProcess folder under the Explorer folder, make
a value
> "BrowserNewProcess, and data "YES"
>
> Is both method work the same way?
> I did the latter and work fine since then.
>
> NS

==> I have used and always recommended;
Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/BrowserNewProc
ess
In the right pane change "NO" to "YES"
Shouldn't have to make a new value if it already exists, it would
be redundant. However if it works, I wouldn't argue w/it.

--
Phil /MBA
                               \\\///
<sunshinesuewithashinykazoo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have noticed in XP, both pre and after IE6SP1, that windows explorer
does
> try to connect to the internet from time to time. It happens when I do a
> file search, for example. Not every time, but often. It annoyed me too, so
> with ZAP 3.0.134, I Xed it for all internet access. I have noticed no
> degradation of performance. I don't use the windows search feature for
> Internet searches. I use IE, and the permissions are different. By the
way,
> you don't have a Dell computer do you?

Hey sunshine girl,

Thanx for your input.

My Japanese answer: Yes, I don't have a Dell computer.

regards,

BRM
0
Bicycle
9/22/2002 8:07:00 AM
"Nice Shot" > "WayneXXX.
> Start/settings/control panel/Folder Options/View Tab make sure "Launch
> folder windows in a seperate process" is checked.

> WayneXXX

> Is this same as in win98, Explorer> View> Folder Options and on General
tab,
> radio dotted "Custom,based on setting you choose" and hit Setting> Browse
> folders as follows
> Open each folder in the same window
> Open each folder in its own window

> NS

I had figured out, it is not the same as in Win98. WinMe has that
feature.that Win98 doesn't.

NS
0
Nice

Windows Explorer Attempt to Connect to Internet
I am using Windows ME on a single-user pentium class machine. The ISP is AOL dial-up Sometiems at dial-up .... and almost always when I right-click a file ,,, my Windows explorer (c:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE) attempts to connect to the Internet. This is detected and blocked by my Sygate firewall. Example upon dial up: Local Port 1120, Remote Port 1900, Remote IP 239.255.255.250 Example upon right click : Local Port 1159, Remote Port 53, Remote IP ie3.aol.proxy.aol.com [205.188.146.146] I have sacneed using up-to-date Norton AV, TDS3, Pest Patrol, Adaware, a...

Windows Explorer Wants to Connect to Internet
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro and ZAPRO 3.0.118 installed. ZAPRO, so far works okay except I keep having a ZA notice appear periodically saying that windows explorer and its components want to connect to the internet. I just received the following notice: COMPONENT LOADING. Do you want to allow Windows Explorer and components to access the network? Technical information: Application: EXPLORER.EXE, Version: 6.00.2600.0000 and etc. Naturally I click no and everything seems to work okay. I had ZAPRO 2.6.362 installed until last week and did not have any pro...

Internet Explorer window freezes when trying to expand or shrink explorer window
I have noticed that whenever I try to expand or shrink the explorer window when viewing a page with the TabContainer Control, that it complely locks me up.  I have to end the process to get back access to the computer. Any ideas? JAYHAWKER: I have noticed that whenever I try to expand or shrink the explorer window when viewing a page with the TabContainer Control, that it complely locks me up.  I have to end the process to get back access to the computer. Base on my experience, perhaps it cause of the third party plug-ins, please desiable the third party plug-ins, and try ag...

OpenSuSe 11.3
Hello, I have tried to configure a wireless modem card installation in OpenSuSe 11.3. Since I did not have an Internet connection, YaST could not connect to the Internet to collect some information. However, when I switch to Windows XP, I could easily configure my wireless modem and launch internet with it. The real problem here is that the wired connection does not work in OpenSuSe 11.3. It does, however, in Windows XP. I searched in the forum a bit, and found an OpenDNS like 208.67.222.222 and try pinging it, but it refused immediately. It only answers positively to my static ...

Assessing the security of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
http://rr.sans.org/win/XP_firewall2.php ...

Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
Brief Description A security issue has been identified in the way Vector Markup Language (VML) is handled that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft Quick Details File Name: IE7-WindowsXP-KB938127-v2-x86-ENU.exe Version: 938127 Security Bulletins: MS07-050 Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB938127 Date Published: 8/25/2008 Overview A security issue has been identified in the way Vector Markup Language (VML) is handled that could allow an a...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688).
I have lost count of the number of times during the last four weeks that Windows Update has successfully downloaded and installed Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688). About seven I think. I am not aware that any other update has installed itself more than once. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I initiate the update via %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe or just let autoupdate have its way. Anyone having the same experience? Doug >I have lost count of the number of times during the last four weeks that &g...

Internet Explorer is now Windows Explorer
I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my browser, connects to the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm. Recently I installed Morpheus file sharing program and then subsequently deleted it. Now however, unless I allow Windows Explorer access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works normally. I also notice that the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon. I am wondering what I can do to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be ignored. -- Lauri :) ...

ReDux: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB905915)
After uninstalling Dak's customblocking.txt from SpywareBlaster03.4 and disabling the program's other protections in preparation for updating to SpywareBlaster 3.5,� I rebooted.� Windows Automatic Update found the update below upon logging in.� This is evidently the same update installed on this machine on December 13th, 2005. A little background.� Since the 13th, due to the WMF zero-day exploit I had enabled hardware DEP, unregistered the associated DLL, and applied the unofficial patch for GDI32.DLL. In all fairness, I'm not sure that Dak's customblocking fi...

How to Configure Enhanced Security Features for Internet Explorer from Windows XP SP2
followup to grc.techtalk How to Configure Enhanced Security Features for Internet Explorer from Windows XP SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/smallbusiness/prodtech/windowsxp/IEsecXP.mspx *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Published: December 9, 2004 This document explains how to configure the enhanced security features of Internet Explorer from Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2) in a small business or for a standalone computer. ***********************...

Opening New Window without Title bar & Frames of Internet explorer, & want to set opacity as 50% to internet explorer.
Hi, All This post is related to opening new window  as pop up window with the help of javascript. Syntax is like: -  window.open('url to open','window name','attribute1,attribute2') where : - attribute1,attribute2' As with alot of other things, we have a choice of attributes you can adjust.we can use these attributes to open window as we want.now my problem start...in my case :- i dont want title bar which can be done by setting full screen property to true; which doesnt solve my problem, i want my window size as (200,200...

Zone Alarm Pro and advanced program settings causing Internet Explorer to want to connect to the internet or my Outlook Email program will not connect to my isp server
I just adjust the program control slider from medium to high and all of a sudden outlook would not work unless I gave Windows Explorer permission to connect to the internet. What is up with this? Is it normal for Outlook 2000 or Outlook Express to have to use Windows Explorer to connect to the internet? Moose1am <NotAvailable@hotmail.com> wrote: > I just adjust the program control slider from medium to high and all of a > sudden outlook would not work unless I gave Windows Explorer permission to > connect to the internet. What is up with this? > > Is it normal...

Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
followup to grc.security.software Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894269/EN-US/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 894269 Last Review : February 25, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windo...

Re:Internet Explorer is now Windows explorer.
I do not have that option. -------------- Internet Options: Advanced: Check the box "Launch browser windows in a separate process" That should take care of the problem. -- Lauri :) "Universal Justice is the Key to ALL!!!" You'll need to go back to either IE 5.0 or 5.5 (I don't remember which version had that option) and check that box then upgrade to your current version again. (It will remember your choice upon upgrade) That will take care of this nuisance. Or...live with the way it is as there is no other fix for it. There use to be ...

Web resources about - windows explorer connecting to internet - grc.security.software

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...