Why does windows explorer access the internet?

I recently installed ZAF5 and noticed that if (windows)
explorer.exe is denied access to the internet CPU usage is
pushed to 100%.  If I allow the access CPU activity drops
down to normal.  Why does explorer need to access the net,
and if it isn't necessary is there any way to turn it off?
0
Swingman
7/3/2004 12:29:00 AM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:29:58 -0700, "Swingman" <sbt@silcom.com> wrote:

>I recently installed ZAF5 and noticed that if (windows)
>explorer.exe is denied access to the internet CPU usage is
>pushed to 100%.  If I allow the access CPU activity drops
>down to normal.  Why does explorer need to access the net,
>and if it isn't necessary is there any way to turn it off?

As far as I know, it has something to do with SEARCH.
Because you can search locally as well as net.
0
LycanusMaximus
7/3/2004 12:43:00 AM

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/search?q=explorer

--
Robert
GRC newsgroup tips - http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm

> I recently installed ZAF5 and noticed that if (windows)
> explorer.exe is denied access to the internet CPU usage is
> pushed to 100%.  If I allow the access CPU activity drops
> down to normal.  Why does explorer need to access the net,
> and if it isn't necessary is there any way to turn it off?

Early on, as I started using Kerio Personal Firewall, I noticed Windows
Explorer trying to reach out to the Internet. In fact, Windows Explorer and
Internet Explorer share many of the same underlying files; which is why IE
is generally quicker to load than other browsers. After a bit of
observation, it appeared, to me, that Windows Explorer was reacting to .html
files in folders; possibly trying to pre-load images, or something similar,
in preperation to being invoked for accessing what ever site's URL is in the
file.

Just for giggles, open Windows Explorer on your C:\ folder, then type
http://www.grc.com in the address bar! Of course, if you are blocking, as I
am, you will get a "The page cannot be displayed" error.

AFAIK, there is no need for Windows Explorer to access the Internet, but
there is no way to turn it off, either. I just block it in the Firewall.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

How to access the security settings under Internet Options of Internet Explorer through Visual Studio .NET 2003?
Hi guys, Recently I'm facing a rather headache problem in maintaining the a system developed in Visual Studio .NET 2003. There is a report module where the system will export the report from MS SQL to Excel. However, this happens to be functioning intermittenly. I notice that the Security Settings under Internet Options is always changed by either someone or the other programs running on the system. Therefore, I'm thinking of asking around for your experts helps on whether it is possible to have the ASP. NET or VB .NET to set the desired settings for the Security Settings of the Internet ...

Windows Explorer wants to access the Internet
ZA reports that Windows Explorer wants to access the Internet. Why? I can understand Internet Explorer wanting to but not Windows Explorer. -- Chris ZA reports that Windows Explorer wants to access the Internet. > Why? > I can understand Internet Explorer wanting to > but not Windows Explorer. > -- Don't allow it too.There is no need,everything works without giving it permission. Tilly -- climbaboard@nzoomail.com "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:uFIVQAGQ+R87EwhT@[127.0.0.1]... > > Chris Hi It is sometimes ha...

Windows Explorer asking for access to Internet
I have Zone Alarm installed and Windows Explorer asking for access to internet. If I decline, I do not get acces to internet. I must than reboot the system to get acces to internet server. AT&T is my ISP, cable modem. I installed Ad-Ware and discovered 131 components, now removed. W.E. was asking for access prior to install of Adware (that's what prompted the concern...after inadverntly installing Gator Companion) Any suggestions? Walt "Mud Benson" <somehwer@yiouthg.com> wrote in message news:a5pi46$11ol$1@news.grc.com... | I have Zone Alarm installed an...

Internet Explorer window freezes when trying to expand or shrink explorer window
I have noticed that whenever I try to expand or shrink the explorer window when viewing a page with the TabContainer Control, that it complely locks me up.  I have to end the process to get back access to the computer. Any ideas? JAYHAWKER: I have noticed that whenever I try to expand or shrink the explorer window when viewing a page with the TabContainer Control, that it complely locks me up.  I have to end the process to get back access to the computer. Base on my experience, perhaps it cause of the third party plug-ins, please desiable the third party plug-ins, and try ag...

Internet Explorer is now Windows Explorer
I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my browser, connects to the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm. Recently I installed Morpheus file sharing program and then subsequently deleted it. Now however, unless I allow Windows Explorer access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works normally. I also notice that the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon. I am wondering what I can do to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be ignored. -- Lauri :) ...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688).
I have lost count of the number of times during the last four weeks that Windows Update has successfully downloaded and installed Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688). About seven I think. I am not aware that any other update has installed itself more than once. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I initiate the update via %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe or just let autoupdate have its way. Anyone having the same experience? Doug >I have lost count of the number of times during the last four weeks that &g...

Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
Brief Description A security issue has been identified in the way Vector Markup Language (VML) is handled that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft Quick Details File Name: IE7-WindowsXP-KB938127-v2-x86-ENU.exe Version: 938127 Security Bulletins: MS07-050 Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB938127 Date Published: 8/25/2008 Overview A security issue has been identified in the way Vector Markup Language (VML) is handled that could allow an a...

ReDux: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB905915)
After uninstalling Dak's customblocking.txt from SpywareBlaster03.4 and disabling the program's other protections in preparation for updating to SpywareBlaster 3.5,� I rebooted.� Windows Automatic Update found the update below upon logging in.� This is evidently the same update installed on this machine on December 13th, 2005. A little background.� Since the 13th, due to the WMF zero-day exploit I had enabled hardware DEP, unregistered the associated DLL, and applied the unofficial patch for GDI32.DLL. In all fairness, I'm not sure that Dak's customblocking fi...

How to Configure Enhanced Security Features for Internet Explorer from Windows XP SP2
followup to grc.techtalk How to Configure Enhanced Security Features for Internet Explorer from Windows XP SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/smallbusiness/prodtech/windowsxp/IEsecXP.mspx *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Published: December 9, 2004 This document explains how to configure the enhanced security features of Internet Explorer from Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2) in a small business or for a standalone computer. ***********************...

Opening New Window without Title bar & Frames of Internet explorer, & want to set opacity as 50% to internet explorer.
Hi, All This post is related to opening new window  as pop up window with the help of javascript. Syntax is like: -  window.open('url to open','window name','attribute1,attribute2') where : - attribute1,attribute2' As with alot of other things, we have a choice of attributes you can adjust.we can use these attributes to open window as we want.now my problem start...in my case :- i dont want title bar which can be done by setting full screen property to true; which doesnt solve my problem, i want my window size as (200,200...

Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
followup to grc.security.software Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894269/EN-US/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 894269 Last Review : February 25, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windo...

outlook express has internet access but not internet explorer
Hey so a system running xp professional has the following issue. It can download e-mails from the internet using outlook express, but it cannot manage to load a web page using internet explorer. Any ideas? "David" <dta382@hotmail.com> wrote... > Hey so a system running xp professional has the following issue. It can > download e-mails from the internet using outlook express, but it cannot > manage to load a web page using internet explorer. Any ideas? Firewall blocking port 80? "David" <dta382@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hey so a system ...

Re:Internet Explorer is now Windows explorer.
I do not have that option. -------------- Internet Options: Advanced: Check the box "Launch browser windows in a separate process" That should take care of the problem. -- Lauri :) "Universal Justice is the Key to ALL!!!" You'll need to go back to either IE 5.0 or 5.5 (I don't remember which version had that option) and check that box then upgrade to your current version again. (It will remember your choice upon upgrade) That will take care of this nuisance. Or...live with the way it is as there is no other fix for it. There use to be ...

How to open a window PB in new window of Internet Explorer?
Hi, How to open a window PB in new window of Internet Explorer? ...

Web resources about - Why does windows explorer access the internet? - grc.security.software

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

Internet-connected Hello Barbie doll gets bitten by nasty POODLE crypto bug
The dreaded Hello Barbie. (credit: Mattel) A recent review of the Internet-connected Hello Barbie doll from toymaker Mattel uncovered several ...

Don’t Bet on Alibaba Buying Yahoo’s Internet Business, WSJ Reports
Activist investor Starboard Value has made it very clear it wants Yahoo (YHOO) to find a buyer for its flagship Internet business. That buyer ...

One country wants to spy on all its encrypted Internet traffic
Western countries including the U.S. and U.K. continue to voice their concerns against encrypted devices and Internet services, saying they hinder ...

IMMELT: 'There's going to be trillions of dollars of wealth created in the industrial internet'
... running in which a developer has to explain to his friends he has a job at GE. Immelt replied with an all-encompassing picture of the internet ...

Hello headaches: Barbie of the Internet age has even more security flaws
The Mattel doll's software manufacturer is racing to patch the toy's flaws as the holidays approach, while other Internet-connected toy manufacturers ...