Open Source FTP client with SFTP and/or FTP over SSL?

Does anyone have any recommendations for an Open Source FTP client with SFTP
and/or FTP over SSL?  Windows is my main platform, but any Mac and Linux
recommendations would also be appreciated.  Thanks

0
Virgil
9/26/2007 5:55:54 AM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In message <fdcsgs$13m5$1@news.grc.com>, Virgil Midi
<some_email_address@something.invalid> writes
>Does anyone have any recommendations for an Open Source FTP client with SFTP
>and/or FTP over SSL?  Windows is my main platform, but any Mac and Linux
>recommendations would also be appreciated.  Thanks

Goolge "Open Source" "FTP client" SFTP SSL and you'll get quite a few
hits that will no doubt satisfy your needs.
FileZilla is mentioned often . . . (and Cyberduck for Mac OS X).
--
Dirk Engelage

to the house of a friend the road is never long
0
Dirk
9/26/2007 6:32:08 AM
> Does anyone have any recommendations for an Open Source
> FTP client with SFTP and/or FTP over SSL?  Windows is my
> main platform, but any Mac and Linux recommendations would
> also be appreciated.

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net and btw the latest version was
also ported to Linux in case you'll need it on such platform :)

0
ObiWan
9/26/2007 6:51:43 AM
Filezilla has always worked well for me.

Brad

ObiWan wrote:
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for an Open Source
>> FTP client with SFTP and/or FTP over SSL?  Windows is my
>> main platform, but any Mac and Linux recommendations would
>> also be appreciated.
>
> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net and btw the latest version was
> also ported to Linux in case you'll need it on such platform :)

0
Brad
9/27/2007 3:43:13 AM
ObiWan wrote:
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for an Open Source
>> FTP client with SFTP and/or FTP over SSL?  Windows is my
>> main platform, but any Mac and Linux recommendations would
>> also be appreciated.
>
> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net and btw the latest version was
> also ported to Linux in case you'll need it on such platform :)

I have had great success with FileZilla

--
Kurt Nelson
(407)512-0689

I'll add another checkmark to FileZilla.

--
verdell
0

FTP to FTP
Lately I've been seeing scans show up of a port 21 trying to connect to my port 21 (I am not, BTW, running an FTP server). Is this just someone trying to use my IP as the middleman in an FTP bounce attack, assuming my port 21 had been open and with a writeable FTP directory? http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1997-27.html ...

Free/Open Source FTP client?
I am wanting your recommendations for an ftp client, but because I insist on good-quality software I have specific requirements. The client should: - Be stable - Be functional (i.e.. implement most/all ftp commands intuitively) - Be free/Open Source - Not to be "crippled" in any way - Not prompt user with registration reminders - Not be spyware-enabled - Preferably not be adware-enabled - Although it will be used mostly on the Windows platform, Java variants are welcome WS_FTP95 LE works great but I do not fulfill the requirements to use it without charge. FTP Thing...

Filezilla
If you're tired of the spy/ad-ware FTP clients for Windows, try Filezilla. Please post comments on Filezilla to grc.techtalk. Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/ Screenshot: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/images/screenshot.gif Download Page: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558&release_id=11249 6 Version 2.1.0a direct download link (.exe)(32-bit Windows): http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/filezilla/FileZilla_2_1_0a_setup.exe?down load Version 2.1.0a direct download link (.zip) http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/filez...

Rebex Secure FTP (FTP over TLS/SSL) for .NET Compact Framework released
Rebex Secure FTP now supports .NET Compact Framework   Rebex Secure FTP component has been extended to support .NET Compact Framework 1.0 and 2.0. Now you can secure your PocketPC/Windows CE file transfers using TLS/SSL. No more plaintext passwords sent over the internet. The Secure FTP for .NET Compact Framework includes .NET Compact Framework version of Rebex Secure Sockect library (TLS/SSL network socket client library) and Rebex Security (implementation of many security related .NET classes that are missing from some or all versions of .NET and .NET Compact Framewor...

FTP Ports open, but no FTP
Hi I have a win 2000 server set up as a web server with several IP adresses (6 total). I am running FTP service on two of these, but when I port scan, all of the IP's have port 21 open. Is this normal? My other services like SMTP and WEB only shows up on the IP's they are supposed to. If I try to connect with my FTP client on one of the IP's that is not set up to run FTP it just says: "Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message." and then after a while I get a timeout. Is it normal or are some nasty Trojan listening and waiting for the right commands to...

Secure FTP (SFTP) with c#.
Hi, I must use secure ftp protocol to bring a documnt. Is c# contain sftp component or must i use 3hrd party add-ins? Thanks. There is no native support for SFTP in .NET.There are many 3rd party components for SFTP and .NET. Here is a free one: http://www.routrek.co.jp/en/product/varaterm/granados.html. I haven't used it, so I can't tell you if it is any good. All I know is that I don't know nothin!ApplicationDeveloper  Read hereBind GridView to Dynamically created DataTable | Bind DataTable to DropDownListMy Blog ...

ftp open source app
I cant even search on ftp on these forums .Does anyone know the ftp open source app that dnn recommends in their wrox book?Daniel StruveDotNetNuke Houston Hi Daniel,Check out the Lumisoft library Ive used it to great affect beforehttp://www.lumisoft.ee/lsWWW/ENG/index_eng.aspx?type=productsMcKelt Solutions i just wanted a client, is it only server?  I downloaded filezilla last night from sourceforge.Daniel StruveDotNetNuke Houston did you look at the zip code for the download - its contains a client class which basically allows you to do the following LumiSoft.Net.FTP.Client...

TFTP/FTP/Syslog Server Daemon and FTP Client
Freeware. Integrated TFTP/FTP/Syslog Daemon for Windows 95/98/NT http://support.3com.com/software/utilities_for_windows_32_bit.htm then select 3CDv2r10.zip 3 servers in one, I find this is great for my home network If you want a more secure FTP server for the internet try War FTP Daemon at http://www.jgaa.com For a great FTP client try ws_ftple at http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.htm RJ ...

Does open source software enhance security?
Interesting article :) http://www.theregister.com/content/55/36033.html From article: "There are several reasons why open-source software provides for superior computer and network security, but the computing public seems confused about why this is so." :)www.codingmayhem.com - VB.NET, C#, Silverlight, Javascript, HTML, CSS, T-SQL, MySQL and SQLitewww.headshotgamer.com - Gaming News and Reviews I think he did a good job of summing up the advantages. I'm sure you could list a few more though. :)War doesn't determine who is right, it determines who is left. It's a g...

Secure FTP Client for NW6.5?
Hello everyone, I am looking for a secure FTP client to run from a NetWare 6.5 SP3 server. It has to be able to run SSL protocol (SSH is not an option). I found this Java based FTP client, but the documentation does not say anything about SSL compatability: http://www.xaro.com/users/msavereux/web/nwftpclu.html The above link also mentioned that glub.com has a secure FTP client that will work on NetWare: http://www.glub.com/products/secureftp However, I only saw clients for Windows, Mac OS X, and Unix. Can anyone recommend a secure FTP client using SSL for NetWare 6.5 SP3? Tha...

open source security control software
 Is there any open source program which shows our asp .net web sites security gaps,and gives suggestions about how can we strengthen the security of our web site? TryMicrosoft Threat Analysis & Modeling v2.1.2Threat Modeling Tool Also You can use Microsoft Best Practices Analyzer It will helps you only regarding configurations and some common security checks like configurations files encryption. Also you can check this checklist manually Checklist: Securing ASP.NETWeb Application Security Articles  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helpe...

FTP client doesn't show FTP servers messages
Name: Harri K. Salminen Email: hks at nic funet fi Product: Firefox Summary: FTP client doesn't show FTP servers messages Comments: When I use firefox as FTP client (ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/ for example) it doesn't show the FTP server's informative messages (220, 331, 250). These messages, that come from various .banner or .message files, have traditionally been the only way to inform FTP servers users of important information regarding the logging in to server, possible problems in service or status of a particular directory. We usually recommend to pe...

Open software, secure software
Monday, 1 March 2004, 1:51 PM CET Fifty-plus years ago Grace Hopper used her experiences with programming the UNIVAC with FLOW-MATIC (an open-source project) to write her first compiler paper and the modern era of computing programming began. Some would also say that things haven't improved much since her day. Indeed, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) estimated that in 2001 $59.5 billion annually, about 0.6 percent of the gross domestic product was being lost because of software bugs. The Sustainable Computing Consortium (SCC), an academic, gove...

Secure FTP file held open issue
There have been numerous posts over the first half of this year regarding SSL FTP services having issues with many clients. The problems range from a file being held open after transmitting, the server disconnecting after transmitting, or files transmitting 100% but never storing on the server. I have tried the following clients: SmartFTP v1.0 Build 981 Filezilla v2.2.7b WS_FTP Pro v8.02 and v9 Secure FTP 2 v2.0.12 The only client that seems to work is Secure FTP 2. But, we have other people trying to connect to us with other clients and do not want to switch. We are fully p...

Web resources about - Open Source FTP client with SFTP and/or FTP over SSL? - grc.security.software

Book sources - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page links to catalogs of libraries, booksellers, and other book sources where you will be able to search for the book with ISBN 9780226467313 ...

AMD's 2016 Linux Driver Plans & GPUOpen Family of Dev Tools: Investing In Open Source
... the latter. Both RTG’s Linux support and developer relations have suffered some from RTG’s much smaller market share and more limited resources ...

AMD embraces open source to take on Nvidia’s GameWorks
... would suggest, however, there's a key difference between GPUOpen and GameWorks: GPUOpen will, when it is published in January, be open source. ...

Diane Kruger & Norman Reedus were in a NYC dive bar together, sources confirm
... Reedus’s rep flat-out denied the story, Kruger’s people have made some strange acknowledgments. First off, Gossip Cop spoke to a “a source ...

NetApp To Make $1.2 Billion Bid For SolidFire: Sources *
... looks set to make a bid for all-flash storage array maker SolidFire, but other vendors have also discussed such an acquisition, industry sources ...

Morning Digest: Sanchez cites bogus sources for her anti-Muslim 'statistics'
... hammered her, but Sanchez isn't backing down. Instead, she continues to channel Donald Trump , declaring that there are "very credible sources" ...

Kourtney Kardashian and Justin Bieber Aren't Hooking Up, Source Says: 'She Wouldn't Go There'
Kourtney Kardashian and Justin Bieber Aren't Hooking Up, Source Says: 'She Wouldn't Go There'

AMD finally unveils an open-source answer to Nvidia’s GameWorks
AMD has a new plan to take on Nvidia's GameWorks by leveraging open-source development and a collaborative programming model.

Safer Open Source Code Inside The Enterprise Sonatype Nexus Firewall
Software shops can use tools like Sonatype Nexus Firewall for blocking and quarantining open source software components that do not meet policies. ...

Sources: Andy Dalton likely out for season with fractured thumb
ESPN Sources: Andy Dalton likely out for season with fractured thumb ESPN CINCINNATI Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton likely will miss the ...