IPSEC vs SSL

Hi all,

Is this the right forum for this question? (please move if not :)

And if so, does anyone have a nice resource explaining the answer?

Appreciated!

0
enchufla
2/14/2014 6:16:50 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Open software, secure software
Monday, 1 March 2004, 1:51 PM CET Fifty-plus years ago Grace Hopper used her experiences with programming the UNIVAC with FLOW-MATIC (an open-source project) to write her first compiler paper and the modern era of computing programming began. Some would also say that things haven't improved much since her day. Indeed, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) estimated that in 2001 $59.5 billion annually, about 0.6 percent of the gross domestic product was being lost because of software bugs. The Sustainable Computing Consortium (SCC), an academic, gove...

Software [In]Security: Twitter Security
Making Your Thoughts as Small and Incomplete as Possible Just for the record, I don't use Twitter. But if this column were a Twitter entry, it might read something like: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1350268&cid=nl_DR_DAILY_T -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

Security software in Vista: EFS vs no-EFS
Help, please: My laptop is Vista Ultimate. Due to work requirements, I have to use EFS on at least some of the directories. However, I think that EFS is interfering with third-party AV and firewall software. So, does anyone know what directories I should NOT activate EFS on? Assuming that I can get them to run without EFS enabled, that is. -- Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol "Thinking to get at once all the gold the goose could give, he killed it and opened it on...

Builtin Object Token vs Software Security Device
My understanding is that: * Builtin Object Tokens are root certificates in the default NSS database as installed on my PC when I installed the software (e.g., SeaMonkey) that uses them. * Software Security Devices are not only root certificates that I have installed myself but also are Builtin Object Tokens that I have modified (either changed the trust bits or marked as deleted). Is this correct? -- David E. Ross <http://www.rossde.com/> On occasion, I might filter and ignore all newsgroup messages posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent...

MPLS takes on security role-Multi-protocol Label Switching vs IPSec!!!
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=508&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. ...

Is security software becoming a security risk?
"Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the problem worse, not better "... <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/21/Is-security-software-becoming-a-security-risk_1.html> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nkk9r -- js http://justheadlines.exofire.net john s. smith wrote: > "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk > by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the > problem worse, not better "... > ...

Secure vs Capable vs Impotent
So, I have a little time on this holiday to gripe some. It's all a matter of user perceptions. Tbird doesn't do what the user wants, relative to Javascript, and HTML composition, therefore it is not a capable newsreader. Being secure does not help. Take a look at prefs. First off there is no UI to help the user. At least the advanced user can change things with Advanced Config Editor. But change what? CAPS policy is one way to enable Tbird, but this method is daunting even for advanced users. The facts are, that not all newsgroups use plaintext, there is an HTML/CSS/Javascript worl...

FTP SSL vs. Non-SSL
Question, as the FTP configuration documents from Novell are not clear: On NetWare 6.5.4, if you enable secure FTP (SSL), does this mean all FTP clients MUST use SSL or does it mean if the client has SSL it will use it, but if it doesn't have SSL, connection will still be accepted via clear text? Thanks, Bryen > On NetWare 6.5.4, if you enable secure FTP (SSL), does this mean all FTP > clients MUST use SSL Hi Bryen, Yes, as the setting actually is called Secure_Connections_Only. http://support.novell.com/techcenter/search/Docs/ProductDoc/NetWare/NetWare%206.5/f...

What do security guards and computer security software have in common???
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=920&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

Norton Internet Security vs. F-Secure
Norton Internet Security vs. F-Secure can you compare? BOB <rodaru@hotmail.com> wrote: > Norton Internet Security vs. F-Secure can you compare? Try grc.security.software. http://grc.com/nntpquickref.htm -- Robert List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/ Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site - http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm ...

Security software to secure USB flash drives?
Hello, does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would password protect access to a USB flash drive?) Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. Any help would be appreciated. Paul -- Calculating in binary code is as easy as 01,10,11. Paul Jackson wrote: > Hello, > > does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would > password protect access to a USB flash drive?) > > Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. > > Any help would be appreciated. >...

F-Secure Readies Security Software For Linux
F-Secure Corp. on Tuesday unveiled security software for open-source Samba file servers and Linux, addressing a need that's growing within the enterprise market. The Finnish company announced the availability of antivirus software for Samba that automatically detects and removes viruses from files stored on the server. The new product is meant to protect all Samba-attached computers from malicious code that could enter the network from a Windows or Linux machine. Next month, F-Secure plans to ship a Linux version of F-Secure Policy Manager, which will extend centrally managed ...

Microsoft SMS vs. novadigm software and other software?!?!
Hi! Imagine you have a company with aprox. 500 Client PCs. It is a windows 2003 domain. Suddenly you want to install a certain software on 289 of 500 PC. You have 1 hour for this job… or you can pack your things… what do you do? We are looking for a solution / software that can handle Microsoft SMS (Software Management Services), updates and inventory fully automated. We looked at the solution of novadigm (http://www.novadigm.com) and Microsoft SMS. Has anybody worked with those systems? What about the idea of keeping the images of OS and applications separat...

Window Plug-in Secure vs Non Secure
Can someone explain to me in detail (more than what's available in the on-line books) the difference between the secure and non-secure versions of the Window plug-in ? We are in the process of developing a new application which makes use of the window plug-in. The question is can this application be a component of an already existing internet application ? ...

Web resources about - IPSEC vs SSL - grc.security.software

Talk:IPsec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Computing , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of computers , computing , and information ...

FBI accused of planting backdoor in OpenBSD IPSEC stack
A former OpenBSD contributor claims that the FBI paid open source developers …

[技术分享]小谈 TMG 建立 IPsec Site-to-Site VPN - 微软大中华区安全博客 - 比特博客
TMG作为微软的网关产品可以和其他产品建立Site-to-Site VPN,这样可以让两端防火墙后面的指定资源实现互访。而IPsec VPN是当前比较流行的VPN,又可以和其他设备兼容。在配置过程中,不少客户遇 ..

Universal IPSec VPN client for Android 4.0
A German firm is in the process of releasing a VPN client for Android 4.0 that supports all IPSec variants and is designed to function with any ...

SSL VPNs best IPSec rivals
... their many challenges, IT staffs must provide secure remote access to data and applications from outside the confines of the enterprise. IPSec-style ...

Administrator's Guide to Microsoft L2TP/IPSec VPN Client
The Microsoft L2TP/IPSec VPN Client is a free Web download that allows computers running Windows 98 (all versions), Windows Millennium Edition, ...

IPSec vs. SSL VPNs
IPSec arrived first on VPN scene, but SSL has won converts with its simplicity.

BrandPost: Hybrid IPSec-MPLS VPNs: What They Are and When They Make Sense
In a recent post I wrote about MPLS VPNs, and how they’re a step up from VPNs based on IPSec. That post ended with this paragraph: It’s also ...

IPSec vs. SSL VPNs: Which cures your remote access ills?
August 2003 Information Security magazine: IPSec vs. SSL VPNs how to make the choice; 802.1X authentication and Web services security issues. ...

Fewer IPsec Connections At Risk From Weak Diffie-Hellman
... prime is relatively trivial. In the paper, the team of 14 cryptographers and academics who wrote it claim that upwards of 66 percent of IPsec ...