How do you 'not' receive mail in html?

I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it. Can you do
this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so, where.

Youth (and the aged) wants to know!

Thanks.
0
Well
5/27/2003 3:13:00 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it. Can you do
>this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so, where.

In OE, the mail reader can be set to view text mode only. Open
Tools>Options>Read tab, check "Read all messages in plain text."
crash@gpick.com
http://lists.gpick.com
0
Crash
5/27/2003 3:19:00 PM
In message <bavvao$1nf9$1@news.grc.com>, Well No
<junkpurveyor@doubleclick.com> kicked in with
>I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it. Can you do
>this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so, where.
>
>Youth (and the aged) wants to know!
>
>Thanks.

Apart from the 'read as plain text option, there are two more
possibilities of preventing harm:
1) Disable the preview screen
2) Use a firewall and enable only ports 25 (SMTP = send mail), 110 (POP
= receive mail) and 119 (NNTP = newsreader) and block all the remaining
ports for OE. Just in case you need IMAP mail protocol, you'll have to
enable port 143 too!
--
Fungus
[without fungi, life would be miserable]

> I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it.
> Can you do this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so,
> where.

As has been hinted at, there is no way to not receive e-mail in HTML.
All you can do is tell your e-mail client to ignore HTML.  Crash and
Fungus told you how to do so with Outlook Express.  If you're using a
different e-mail client, the instructions will be different, but the
option will mroe than likely be there.

--
"I Thank 'The Trackers' for their stupidity in tracking the hackers
because I could have never done it alone."

Tracker, aka Debbie  <3E90D2BD.ADB9371@yahoo.com>
0
BlueJAMC
5/27/2003 5:20:00 PM
""Crash" Dummy"  wrote in message
> >I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it. Can you do
> >this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so, where.
>
> In OE, the mail reader can be set to view text mode only. Open
> Tools>Options>Read tab, check "Read all messages in plain text."

Assuming you using OE 6,  OE 5.5 does not have that neat button, you are
only able to "send" everything in plain text and pray they reply in that
very format.

> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com
> http://lists.gpick.com

0
Dei
5/28/2003 1:25:00 AM
You could try using MailWasher Pro and Benign because they strip out the
HTML(and alot of other nasties) before the mail gets downloaded to your
computer.  Go to firetrust.com and see what you think.  I suspect I
picked up the recommend here or I wouldn't be using it.

Regards,
Dean

BlueJAMC wrote:

> "Well No" <junkpurveyor@doubleclick.com> wrote in
>

>>I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it.
>>Can you do this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so,
>>where.
>>

> As has been hinted at, there is no way to not receive e-mail in HTML.
> All you can do is tell your e-mail client to ignore HTML.  Crash and
> Fungus told you how to do so with Outlook Express.  If you're using a
> different e-mail client, the instructions will be different, but the
> option will mroe than likely be there.

0
Dean
5/28/2003 5:18:00 PM
Dean <wdh@sonic.net> wrote in news:3ED4EF6F.4070709@sonic.net:

> You could try using MailWasher Pro and Benign because they strip
> out the HTML(and alot of other nasties) before the mail gets
> downloaded to your computer.  Go to firetrust.com and see what
> you think.  I suspect I picked up the recommend here or I
> wouldn't be using it.

I know that MailWasher Pro doesn't strip out the HTML;  rather, it
simply displays it without the HTML formatting.  I'd assume Benign is
the same way, seeing as I don't know of any way to directly
manipulate e-mails that are already on the POP3 server.

Unless, of course, you mean that Benign and MailWasher filter out e-
mails which contain HTML and other nasties, in which case you'd be
right.

--
"I Thank 'The Trackers' for their stupidity in tracking the hackers
because I could have never done it alone."

Tracker, aka Debbie  <3E90D2BD.ADB9371@yahoo.com>
0
BlueJAMC
5/28/2003 5:49:00 PM
BlueJAMC wrote in news:Xns938982727E3EBbluejamc@204.1.226.226:

> Dean <wdh@sonic.net> wrote in news:3ED4EF6F.4070709@sonic.net:
>
>> You could try using MailWasher Pro and Benign because they strip
>> out the HTML(and alot of other nasties) before the mail gets
>> downloaded to your computer.  Go to firetrust.com and see what
>> you think.  I suspect I picked up the recommend here or I
>> wouldn't be using it.
>
> I know that MailWasher Pro doesn't strip out the HTML;  rather, it
> simply displays it without the HTML formatting.  I'd assume Benign
> is the same way, seeing as I don't know of any way to directly
> manipulate e-mails that are already on the POP3 server.

IIRC (don't use that feature here) Pocomail can check at the POP and
refuse to download and/or delete HTML content e-mail.  Of course it was
"delivered" to your POP mailbox in any case.  Pocomail also can refuse
external connections embedded in HTML mail messages, but that's fairly
common these days for mail clients I think.
0
Mark
5/28/2003 8:02:00 PM
Or review your mail using http://www.mail2web.com/

Dean wrote:
> You could try using MailWasher Pro and Benign because they strip out
> the HTML(and alot of other nasties) before the mail gets downloaded
> to your computer.  Go to firetrust.com and see what you think.  I
> suspect I picked up the recommend here or I wouldn't be using it.
>
> Regards,
> Dean
>
> BlueJAMC wrote:
>
>> "Well No" <junkpurveyor@doubleclick.com> wrote in
>>

>>> I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it.
>>> Can you do this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so,
>>> where.
>>>

>> As has been hinted at, there is no way to not receive e-mail in HTML.
>> All you can do is tell your e-mail client to ignore HTML.  Crash and
>> Fungus told you how to do so with Outlook Express.  If you're using a
>> different e-mail client, the instructions will be different, but the
>> option will mroe than likely be there.
0
Kilo
5/28/2003 10:13:00 PM
"Well No" <junkpurveyor@doubleclick.com> wrote:

>I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it. Can you do
>this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so, where.

WN - in my version of Pegasus (3.1) I found it in Tools / Options /
Reader Settings tab.  Look near the bottom for the "Handling HTML and
Rich Text messages" section.  Select the "prompt me" button.

I'm using Calypso now which simply makes an attachment out of the HTML
and only shows the plain text in the email itself.

TomT
0
TomT
5/30/2003 4:46:00 AM
Well No wrote:

> I've heard it's a bad thing. However, how does one disable it. Can you do
> this by your mail program: OE, Pegasus, etc.? If so, where.
>
> Youth (and the aged) wants to know!
>
> Thanks.

I've set up a filter within Netscape Mail to move all messages with html content
to a specific folder.  I then lock the net connection with ZoneAlarm before
viewing the messages.  I also have disabled javascript for the mail and news
reader.  The filter I use contains the following...

  Content-Type contains text/html
  Content-Type contains multipart/alternative
  Content-Type contains multipart/mixed
  Content-Type contains multipart/related

Eric
0