Hamachi - Peer to Peer

Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the
understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on
to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses.

Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses.

Geoff Lane

0
Geoff
12/21/2005 6:39:33 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Geoff Lane wrote:
> Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the
> understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on
> to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses.
>
> Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses.
>
> Geoff Lane

I'm not sure I understand your question, but let me give it a shot.
Hamachi works in an IP range that is private and *must* be assigned by
the server at bebe.hamachi.cc.  That IP will permanently identify your
box (whether server or client) on the net and allow the VPN to function.
  So, it wouldn't matter whether your "normal" (from your ISP) IP is
static or dynamic, you will still need to get an IP in the 5. range from
Hamachi.
0
Nobody
12/21/2005 9:54:40 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:54:40 -0600, Nobody <nobody@none.inv> wrote:

>>  to initially make the connection I have to log on
>> to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses.
>>
>> Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses.

>I'm not sure I understand your question, but let me give it a shot.
>Hamachi works in an IP range that is private and *must* be assigned by
>the server at bebe.hamachi.cc.  That IP will permanently identify your
>box (whether server or client) on the net and allow the VPN to function.

I have a dynamically issued IP address so if any friends connect via
VPN they need to know my currect IP address to make the connection. I
now use dynamicDNS so this is not a problem.

If a specific HAMACHI private IP address is assigned to my machine how
does it relate to my dynamically assigned address.

Geoff Lane

0
Geoff
12/23/2005 11:11:12 PM
Geoff Lane wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:54:40 -0600, Nobody <nobody@none.inv> wrote:
>

>>>  to initially make the connection I have to log on
>>> to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses.
>>>
>>> Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses.
>
>> I'm not sure I understand your question, but let me give it a shot.
>> Hamachi works in an IP range that is private and *must* be assigned by
>> the server at bebe.hamachi.cc.  That IP will permanently identify your
>> box (whether server or client) on the net and allow the VPN to function.
>
> I have a dynamically issued IP address so if any friends connect via
> VPN they need to know my currect IP address to make the connection. I
> now use dynamicDNS so this is not a problem.
>
> If a specific HAMACHI private IP address is assigned to my machine how
> does it relate to my dynamically assigned address.
>
> Geoff Lane

Doesn't relate at all, actually.  The Hamachi IP is fixed, and assigned
only once by (correction) bibi.hamachi.cc, when you first set it up.
Hamachi doesn't care what your ISP assigned IP is.  Your remote client
is connecting directly to Hamachi via their own assigned IP.  Unless you
have need for advanced services (passwordless connections, for example)
there will only be one short exchange between your computers and
bibi.hamachi.cc, and then the rest of the session will be direct p2p
between your hamachized computers.
0
Nobody
12/24/2005 8:30:20 PM
Actually each user account gets a unique 5.x.x.x  network address on a given
PC so far from testing.. this IP stays with the user  account/workstation
regardless of  ISP connectivity- hopes this help explain.

0
Orlando
12/27/2005 5:37:54 AM
Geoff Lane wrote:
> Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the
> understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on
> to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses.
>
> Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses.
It isn't necessary for fixed addresses in a technical sense, but their software
insists you do it that way anyhow (its one of the things I find dubious about
the system, as dependence on their central servers makes for an easy point of
attack, and an easy way to force transition to a pay-to-play funding model if
Hamaci gets itself established)
0
Dave
12/27/2005 5:54:04 PM
Dave Howe wrote:
> Geoff Lane wrote:
>
>>Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the
>>understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on
>>to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses.
>>
>>Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses.
>
> It isn't necessary for fixed addresses in a technical sense, but their software
> insists you do it that way anyhow (its one of the things I find dubious about
> the system, as dependence on their central servers makes for an easy point of
> attack, and an easy way to force transition to a pay-to-play funding model if
> Hamaci gets itself established)

Only way to be sure is with packet capturing.
I never trust whats claimed.

Blind trust is a big mistake.
0
James
12/27/2005 6:33:38 PM
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:54:04 +0000, Dave Howe
<DaveHowe@obviously.fake.address.org> wrote:

>> Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the
>> understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on
>> to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses.
>>
>> Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses.

>It isn't necessary for fixed addresses in a technical sense, but their software
>insists you do it that way anyhow (its one of the things I find dubious about
>the system, as dependence on their central servers makes for an easy point of
>attack,

Yes, without appearing to become paranoid this had crossed my mind.

I suppose we tend to forget that all our data does actually pass
though our ISP's servers.

Geoff Lane

0
Geoff

Open software, secure software
Monday, 1 March 2004, 1:51 PM CET Fifty-plus years ago Grace Hopper used her experiences with programming the UNIVAC with FLOW-MATIC (an open-source project) to write her first compiler paper and the modern era of computing programming began. Some would also say that things haven't improved much since her day. Indeed, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) estimated that in 2001 $59.5 billion annually, about 0.6 percent of the gross domestic product was being lost because of software bugs. The Sustainable Computing Consortium (SCC), an academic, gove...

Software [In]Security: Twitter Security
Making Your Thoughts as Small and Incomplete as Possible Just for the record, I don't use Twitter. But if this column were a Twitter entry, it might read something like: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1350268&cid=nl_DR_DAILY_T -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

Is security software becoming a security risk?
"Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the problem worse, not better "... <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/21/Is-security-software-becoming-a-security-risk_1.html> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nkk9r -- js http://justheadlines.exofire.net john s. smith wrote: > "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk > by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the > problem worse, not better "... > ...

Security software to secure USB flash drives?
Hello, does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would password protect access to a USB flash drive?) Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. Any help would be appreciated. Paul -- Calculating in binary code is as easy as 01,10,11. Paul Jackson wrote: > Hello, > > does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would > password protect access to a USB flash drive?) > > Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. > > Any help would be appreciated. >...

Book Review: Software Security
I'm jealous. No seriously. If Cigital is actually ran as depicted in the book Software Security - Building Security In, I have to give kudos to Gary and the gang for making an impressive environment for software security. I'm a fan of Gary's writing. If you are a regular reader, you know I loved both his books on Building Secure Software and Exploiting Software. This latest book is, in my mind at least, a balancing act between the two previous books on the topic. Gary calls it the "Ying and Yang". Which makes total sense, since the book cover is of exactly that, ...

What do security guards and computer security software have in common???
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=920&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

F-Secure Readies Security Software For Linux
F-Secure Corp. on Tuesday unveiled security software for open-source Samba file servers and Linux, addressing a need that's growing within the enterprise market. The Finnish company announced the availability of antivirus software for Samba that automatically detects and removes viruses from files stored on the server. The new product is meant to protect all Samba-attached computers from malicious code that could enter the network from a Windows or Linux machine. Next month, F-Secure plans to ship a Linux version of F-Secure Policy Manager, which will extend centrally managed ...

Secure Hamachi
There is a way to run hamachi as a service in the background in ubuntu. Instructions here --> 'HOW-TO Secure Remote Access - Hamachi+VNC - Ubuntu Forums' (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=135036) Is it possible to do something like this in suse? With secure connection? -- rozbarwinek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

How secure is secure?

security too secure

Hamachi security
I use Hamachi to connect my netbook to home. All I have to do is start it and a connection is established. But I want to enter a password and I don't see that option. I have to enter the login password for home, but a layer of security is missing. Do you have to join an account to do this? -- Reply in group, but if emailing add one more zero, and remove the last word. On 3/6/2010 1:00 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote: > I use Hamachi to connect my netbook to home. All I have to do is start it > and a connection is established. But I want to enter a password and I don...

Security Software
What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy, beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?) Antivirus (my favorite: Norton AntiVirus), Antitrojan (recommended: BOClean) , Ad-Aware. Gtz. Tony "Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> schreef in bericht news:9ge2bb$18qs$1@news.grc.com... > What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy, > beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?) > > "Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:9ge2bb$18qs$1@news.grc.com... > What a...

Software Security
Hi, How can i secure my software at customer site, so that it may not get copied. Is there any information available on software licencing techniques or algorithms regards sukhvinder There are manys to do that by binding the encrypted registration file with BIOS Serial No, HDD Serial No or Network's Physical Address, etc. to restrict the program to work on only one workstation. > Hi, > How can i secure my software at customer site, so that it > may not get copied. Is there any information available on > software licencing techniques or algorithms > >...

when is secure, secure?

Hamachi and Security
Hi, I'm going to ask this here since I know I'll get ripped to pieces for even thinking let alone commenting in the Hamachi forums. Steve, were you able to audit the code or were you just given information on how Hamachi does what it does? You say in the podcast that only you have the private key. Well it's ok to believe that, but this is about security - do you *know* that? Since comms between the client ant the server are encrypted can you be sure that that key hasn't been passed back to the server? If you have audited the code, are you going to certify buil...

Web resources about - Hamachi - Peer to Peer - grc.security.software

Hamachi (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hamachi is intended as a zero-configuration virtual private network (VPN) application that is capable of establishing direct links between computers ...

How To Secure And Encrypt Your Web Browsing On Public Networks (With Hamachi And Privoxy)
When you’re browsing from a public Wi-Fi connection — like at your favourite coffee shop — anyone on that network can snoop on what you&#821... ...

Headlines and Hamachi: How I Learned to Edit And Eat Alone
... him to dinner. We started at some of his favorite, frequently visited spots, like Central Park seafood spot Marea, where he ordered a Hamachi ...

How to Secure and Encrypt Your Web Browsing on Public Networks (with Hamachi and Privoxy)
When you're browsing from a public Wi-Fi connection—like at your favorite coffee shop—anyone on that network can snoop on what you're doing, ...

Yahoo: Search Local Menus For “BLT” Or “Hamachi”
Yahoo is introducing a useful new capability in search and Yahoo Local: the ability to search for specific meals or menu items and find them ...

Companies - CrunchBase
Company profiles

In pictures: Samsung Forum 2012 (IT and Home Appliances)
A look at Samsung's 2012 product range for notebooks and smart home appliances

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - reviews - Tablets - none - PC World Australia
While the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 offers a couple of new features, it appears to be a very similar a device to its predecessor. The Infrared ...

Sushi 101 - Benihana
Copy Heading:&nbsp; Sushi 101 How is sushi made? What is sashimi? How are sushi and sashimi eaten? History of sushi More than just a food, sushi ...

:Ben Metcalfe Blog
Here is a list of all blog posts I have made since I began blogging on this domain in 2004. Having archives that date back to when I was 23 is ...