Event viewer: AVG6 Service service hung on starting.

I'm using NT4 Sp6a with ZAF 3.1.291, and AVG free doesn't start
properly.
The email scans appear to work, and the manual and scheduled file scans
also work fine, but the resident component is not running.  The AVG
control panel also has the resident page greyed out.
I've tried booting without starting up ZAF, but that didn't help.
Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Max
0
Max
9/14/2002 4:44:00 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Max" <megamax@rogers.com> wrote in message
| AVG free doesn't start  properly.
| The email scans appear to work, and the manual and scheduled file scans
| also work fine, but the resident component is not running.  The AVG
| control panel also has the resident page greyed out.
do you have resident shield disabled in the control center?  double click
icon in systray and check that you don't have something disabled in the
control center, i found that i had something inadvertedly disabled when the
icon was greyed out, maybe you do too.

hth,
ragee

---
ragee
9/14/2002 7:56:00 PM
ragee wrote:

> "Max" <megamax@rogers.com> wrote in message
> | AVG free doesn't start  properly.
> | The email scans appear to work, and the manual and scheduled file scans
> | also work fine, but the resident component is not running.  The AVG
> | control panel also has the resident page greyed out.
> do you have resident shield disabled in the control center?  double click
> icon in systray and check that you don't have something disabled in the
> control center, i found that i had something inadvertedly disabled when the
> icon was greyed out, maybe you do too.
>
> hth,
> ragee
>
> ---

Thanks, Ragee.

I should have checked further before posting.  Turns out that the
service is running after all, but the startup is getting delayed for
some reason.  Thus, when I check AVG, it says Resident Shield is not
fully functional.  When I click on it, I can make it functional, but
only till the next reboot.

I'm still wondering what is preventing a proper startup.  I run ZAF and
a batch file from the startup folder but I removed those as a test, but
that made no difference.

Max
0
Max
9/15/2002 8:31:00 PM
| ragee wrote:
| >
| > "Max" <megamax@rogers.com> wrote in message
  The AVG  control panel also has the resident page greyed out.

| > do you have resident shield disabled in the control center?  double
click
| > icon in systray and check that you don't have something disabled in the
| > control center, i found that i had something inadvertedly disabled when
the
| > icon was greyed out, maybe you do too.
| Thanks, Ragee.
|
| I should have checked further before posting.  Turns out that the
| service is running after all, but the startup is getting delayed for
| some reason.  Thus, when I check AVG, it says Resident Shield is not
| fully functional.  When I click on it, I can make it functional, but
| only till the next reboot.

| I'm still wondering what is preventing a proper startup.  |

you need to follow steps i outlined in previous response, get to control
center- double click tray icon, not desktop icon, remove check for disable
resident shield, click apply, then click save 'parameters as new default'
tray icon should then then come up multicolored on next reboot. hope this
is clearer than my last reply.

ragee

---
ragee
9/16/2002 1:03:00 AM

ragee wrote:

> you need to follow steps i outlined in previous response, get to control
> center- double click tray icon, not desktop icon, remove check for disable
> resident shield, click apply, then click save 'parameters as new default'
> tray icon should then then come up multicolored on next reboot. hope this
> is clearer than my last reply.
>
> ragee
>
> ---

Thanks, Ragee.
Now I'm totally confused.  First I should say I have the free version.
Maybe your comments refer to the advanced version?
When I double-click in the systray, I can find no check for "disable
resident shield".
I see just five tabs, one of which is Resident Shield, and that page is
totally greyed out.
Maybe my installation is corrupt?
Max
0
Max
9/16/2002 4:43:00 PM
Max <megamax@rogers.com> wrote in news:3D860A29.CADE7AEB@rogers.com:

> Thanks, Ragee.
> Now I'm totally confused.  First I should say I have the free version.
> Maybe your comments refer to the advanced version?
> When I double-click in the systray, I can find no check for "disable
> resident shield".
> I see just five tabs, one of which is Resident Shield, and that page
> is totally greyed out.
> Maybe my installation is corrupt?
> Max

I have free version too, and that screen is NOT greyed out.  Try a
reinstall and see if that fixes it.
0
Cole
9/16/2002 4:58:00 PM
Cole-e-man wrote:

> I have free version too, and that screen is NOT greyed out.  Try a
> reinstall and see if that fixes it.

I un/re-installed and everything is now ok.  As I recall, I chose not to
install the Resident portion during the initial install, and this time I
did.  So I wasn't surprised that Resident wasn't activated, but what
threw me off was the error message on boot.

Thanks, guys.

Max
0
Max

When you disable the Windows Firewall service on your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer, the Computer Browser service stops after five minutes and Event ID 7023 is logged in the Event Viewer
followup to grc.security.software When you disable the Windows Firewall service on your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer, the Computer Browser service stops after five minutes and Event ID 7023 is logged in the Event Viewer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889320 ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 889320 Last Review : March 1, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS When you disable the Windows Firewall service on your Microsoft Windows XP Ser...

Windows Service
I have two services - A and B I have to start Service B, on OnStart method of Service A. How to do this? Thanks    Well your service A would have a overriden method called on_start. Here you will need to use the servicecontroller and iterate through all services on the local machine to identify Service B. This can be a unique service name. Once you have found Service B you can start it.You however need to understand about permissions, depending on what context Service A is running under, it may or may not have enough permissions to start another service. ...

NT4 SP5 ASA 6.0.03 service start: service hung
I am using ASA 6.0.03 on an NT 4.0 machine running SP5 and would like to have my databases start as a service (I have 3 dbs, one service has two in it and another has only one). When I have them set to automatic start, they log a message to the event log reporting that each service is hung. ("The Adaptive Server Anywhere - DevTrack service hung on starting." Event ID 7022) When I start the service from Sybase Central, I get "Would you like to continue waiting for the operation to complete?" It seems NT will not wait, but Sybase Central lets you prolong the timeo...

A question about Web Service security / secured web service Testing
Hi, I created a web service and secure it using SoapExtention. I implemented code from this link. http://www.developer.com/net/net/article.php/11087_2192901_2 Now if I create proxy class from my other webapplication and call any webmethod of my webservice, I must provide username password to access any of its webmethod, otherwise it is throwing SOAP Exception which works fine. But now when I open this webservice locally using its URL, in Internet Explorer, like http://localhost/MyWebService/poservice.asmx, it shows me all webmethods and I can invoke any webmethod from here without using ...

Profile Service and Secure Web Services
currently i'm using Forms authentication for my web application.  my application has several pages and many users.  in an effort to Ajaxify my application i need secure web services preventing hackers from modifying user data.  how do i do this?  can i do this with the Profile Service and SSL?thanks.-ty ASP.NET AJAX has a built-in profile service that you can invoke from JavaScript, it will work seamlessly with your SSL pages. As far as secure web services, that isn't really an ajax question - you should take the necessary steps to secure your application just l...

Starting a service after all other services with init script
Hello, I'm creating an OpenSuse based embedded system that mostly consists of a Qt/Embedded application � since it should function as an appliance, I want to have it boot, then immediately start that application without user intervention. The only way I'm aware of of doing this with OpenSuse is to create a custom init script. I have done so, using /etc/init.d/skelton as a basis. It pretty much just consist of an INIT INFO section, followed by an invokation of another bash script only when the init script is called with the "start" argument. The Qt/E program...

Service hung on starting
I am getting following error message for backup server set as an automatic server. "Sybase BCKServer_SERVERNAME_BS Service hung on starting". SQL Server is also set as an autometic service and is woking ok. Please let me know the solution. ASE 11.5 and NT 4.0 sp6 ...

Starting SysAM service befor sqlserver service
Hi, We are using unified logins. The issue we have is that for this to be working when we reboot the sysam service needs to be started before the sqlserver service. Using winnt/system32/services.exe I am unable to do this and when I checked the registery entries it is because there is no dependsonservice registry entry for the sqlservice. I have tried to add it but the machine crashed and is in an endless loop of shutting down and restarting. Any ideas ? Thanks in Advance, Edwar ...

How to get Sysam service to start before Jaguar service
Any suggestions on how to get the sysam service to start before the jaguar service, so that jaguar starts up in AdvancedEdition mode, and not developer mode? Has anyone been able to setup the service dependencies in WIN2k? (if so, can you give me a hint!) Thanks, David I put the following line in my user_setenv.bat file: REM ** -- Start the CIM Repository -- call "C:\Program Files\Sybase\CIMRepository-3_0_0\bin\repository.bat" Jonathan -- Jonathan Baker eBusiness Division Sybase, Inc. "David Renton" <drenton_nospamme_@winmill....

IW10 Cannot start service after changing standalone to service.
I had a standalone IW 10 server working fine for quite some times. However some new customer need to run it as service. I read the [Changing IntraWeb application type|http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE3/en/Changing_IntraWeb_application_type] and modify my project file to : {code} uses IWInitService, Forms, IWMain, UTF8ContentParser, ServiceCheck, .... MyUnits... {$R *.res} begin If not ChkService('EbsAppWebSrv') and (paramstr(1) <> '/install') then // Check Service installed InstallSrv // Install the service else if paramstr(...

The Services and Service Accounts Security Planning Guide
followup to grc.security The Services and Service Accounts Security Planning Guide http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/serversecurity/serviceaccount/default.mspx ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- This guide is an important resource to plan strategies to run services securely under the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP operating systems. It addresses the common problem of Windows services that are set to run with highest possible privileges, which an attacker could co...

Starting SQL Anywhere Services
SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 #2764 Win2k advanced Server Hi, I'm having some problems starting the SQL Network Server as a service through Terminal Services running in remote administration mode. Ok, the database Engine [dbsrv50] is not running on the server at this point. I have checked the command line on the local Server and the service and I have started the Service under the local system account interactively. When I log on through the Terminal Service Client under the administrator account the database engine is not available.However I do know that the SQL Network Service is ru...

Cannot start service ReportServer on computer 'TECNICSTFS'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not start due to a logon failure
Hi all, I am trying to start sql server reporting services using configuration->Reporting Services Configuration but i am getting that error "Cannot start service ReportServer on computer 'TECNICSTFS'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not start due to a logon failure"  Here 'TECNICSTFS' is our computer name. Any help  Regards  Brijesh Singh   Hi, The Report Server Service requires an account to run. You can set this account through the MMC Service throung the control panel or by using the RS Configuration...

Security concern over application services such as authentication exposed as web services
There have been questions around security with regard to exposing application services such as authentication as web services to the client side. Can any provide any insight on this ?   Also , when we are invoking webserivces from the client side javascript what identity is used for validating user credentials?   Thanks! Pratibha...

Web resources about - Event viewer: AVG6 Service service hung on starting. - grc.security.software

Starting Over (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Six women at a time work to overcome obstacles and meet personal goals. When it is determined that a woman has met all her goals, she "graduates" ...

Wikipedia:Starting an article - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a page about writing a new article, not the place to actually write it! If you would like to experiment, please use the sandbox or your ...

Facebook Aims To Curb App Spam: Starting Oct. 2, Developers Can No Longer Use API To Post Directly To ...
Starting Oct. 2, applications on Facebook will no longer be able to use its application-programming interfaces to post stories directly to the ...

Starting work on Luleå building 2
It’s been less than a year since we first started serving traffic from our Luleå data center; one of the greenest, most cutting-edge facilities ...

ImplementingScrum - Starting Tough Conversations about Software Development
Scrum Cartoons. Scrum Teams are made up of a ScrumMaster, Product Owner & Team Members. Start those difficult conversations today.

Facebook starting rollout of image-focused sidebar ads
In April, Facebook announced that it is making the images in sidebar ads much bigger . The company recently notified Preferred Marketing Developers ...

Iowa Starting Line (@IAStartingLine) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Iowa Starting Line @ IAStartingLine ...

Starting Anew
... At some point in your career, maybe you too have made the life-altering decision to start anew. If so, you know firsthand how exciting, Starting ...

Sydney to Hobart: Starting boat Aussie Legend takes on water but all safe
... to Hobart yacht race has suffered an on water incident before the 628 nautical mile event has got under way on Saturday with the official starting ...

Cooling housing market starting to hurt Melbourne apartment buyers
About half of Melbourne off-the-plan apartments are now worth less than was paid for them.