App like "CookieCop" for Win7?

Now that XP is officially dying and I'll need to start using Win7 for
surfing, I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful
CookieCop2 utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp). This
is a local proxy which allows me two do two things I've found extremely
helpful and, most importantly, simple and easy for Ye Olde Average User: (1)
see many site subconnections which are allowed and blocked and adjust
permissions as desired (see http://imgur.com/4A2sili); (2) use wildcards for
site blocking (see http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s).

I know that I can add entries to my Hosts file and I know things like
AdBlock do similar things, but I have been under the impression that having
to add every individual item from "server1.adserver.xyz" to
"server347.adserver.xyz" and beyond is not only tedious but grows Hosts to
ridiculous size; also regular expressions confound me to the ends of the
Earth. I've tried using CookieCop in Win7 but it doesn't seem possible, even
playing with compatibility settings.

I've found Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) which seems to allow wildcards
for blocking purposes but already looks like it requires much more
configurating skillz than I may be able to summon.

So bottom line: anyone have a suggestion for how best to replicate these
functions in Win7? More info/data as needed, thanks as always. JLJ

0
JLJ
2/21/2014 6:53:51 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

JLJ wrote:
> Now that XP is officially dying and I'll need to start using Win7 for
> surfing, I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful
> CookieCop2 utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp). This
> is a local proxy which allows me two do two things I've found extremely
> helpful and, most importantly, simple and easy for Ye Olde Average User: (1)
> see many site subconnections which are allowed and blocked and adjust
> permissions as desired (see http://imgur.com/4A2sili); (2) use wildcards for
> site blocking (see http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s).
>

> I know that I can add entries to my Hosts file and I know things like
> AdBlock do similar things, but I have been under the impression that having
> to add every individual item from "server1.adserver.xyz" to
> "server347.adserver.xyz" and beyond is not only tedious but grows Hosts to
> ridiculous size; also regular expressions confound me to the ends of the
> Earth. I've tried using CookieCop in Win7 but it doesn't seem possible, even
> playing with compatibility settings.
>
> I've found Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) which seems to allow wildcards
> for blocking purposes but already looks like it requires much more
> configurating skillz than I may be able to summon.
>
> So bottom line: anyone have a suggestion for how best to replicate these
> functions in Win7? More info/data as needed, thanks as always. JLJ

What browser are you using? Most of the later ones include cookie handling
capabilities. Cetainly in Firefox you can define all cookies as session
cookies and clear them automatically when you logout.

AlanD
0
AlanD
2/21/2014 8:06:04 PM
"AlanD" <nospam@danburyonline.net> wrote in message
> JLJ wrote:
>> Now that XP is officially dying and I'll need to start using Win7 for
>> surfing, I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful
>> CookieCop2 utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp).
>> This
>> is a local proxy which allows me two do two things I've found extremely
>> helpful and, most importantly, simple and easy for Ye Olde Average User:
>> (1)
>> see many site subconnections which are allowed and blocked and adjust
>> permissions as desired (see http://imgur.com/4A2sili); (2) use wildcards
>> for
>> site blocking (see http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s).

[]>
> What browser are you using? Most of the later ones include cookie handling
> capabilities. Cetainly in Firefox you can define all cookies as session
> cookies and clear them automatically when you logout.

I mainly use Firefox with the CookieCuller extension, but it's not as
robust, shall we say, as CookieCop, and does nothing regarding use of
wildcards in site blocking. I also sometimes use Opera for some videos
(Vimeo in particular) that seem to play better there, so I prefer a
system-wide app rather than an extension.  THX JLJ

0
JLJ
2/22/2014 1:44:41 AM
On 2014/02/22 10:44, JLJ wrote:

> I mainly use Firefox with the CookieCuller extension, but it's not as
> robust, shall we say, as CookieCop, and does nothing regarding use of
> wildcards in site blocking. I also sometimes use Opera for some videos
> (Vimeo in particular) that seem to play better there, so I prefer a
> system-wide app rather than an extension.  THX JLJ

How about CCleaner? (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) That can
be configured to remove cookies.
0
Chris
2/22/2014 3:55:46 AM
How about Self-Destructing Cookies Addon for FX?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=api

Plays nicely with CookieCuller extension, too.

"Chris (Hunt)" <ibz62ma02CUT@CAPITALSsneakemail.com> wrote in message
> On 2014/02/22 10:44, JLJ wrote:
>>
>> I mainly use Firefox with the CookieCuller extension, but it's not as
>> robust, shall we say, as CookieCop, and does nothing regarding use of
>> wildcards in site blocking. I also sometimes use Opera for some videos
>> (Vimeo in particular) that seem to play better there, so I prefer a
>> system-wide app rather than an extension.  THX JLJ
>
> How about CCleaner? (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) That can be
> configured to remove cookies.

---

Guzman
2/22/2014 9:46:57 AM
"JLJ" <thenamesashhousewares@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Now that XP is officially dying and I'll need to start using Win7 for
> surfing, I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful
> CookieCop2 utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp).
> This is a local proxy which allows me two do two things I've found
> extremely helpful and, most importantly, simple and easy for Ye Olde
> Average User: (1) see many site subconnections which are allowed and
> blocked and adjust permissions as desired (see http://imgur.com/4A2sili);
> (2) use wildcards for site blocking (see http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s).

[]

Thanks for the cookie-themed replies so far, but I seem to have not made
myself clear: I'm NOT in need of cookie mgmt per se -- the main feature of
CookieCop that I want to find for Win7 is the ability to filter/block sites
using wildcards on a system level (eg, not a browser-specific add-on) in
something that I can grok (since Regular Expressions make my brain hurt).
Secondarily, CookieCop allowed a view of almost every connection -- see
first IMGUR link above -- and I found that helpful as a way of learning
about new things to filter/block, including some which did not seem to
result in the placement of cookies. I don't want or need the depth and
detail of a packet filter (at least I don't think so) but something along
those lines. I think. THX JLJ

0
JLJ
2/22/2014 5:17:51 PM
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:17:51 -0600, JLJ wrote:

> Thanks for the cookie-themed replies so far, but I seem to have not made
> myself clear: I'm NOT in need of cookie mgmt per se -- the main feature of
> CookieCop that I want to find for Win7 is the ability to filter/block sites
> using wildcards on a system level (eg, not a browser-specific add-on) in
> something that I can grok (since Regular Expressions make my brain hurt).
> Secondarily, CookieCop allowed a view of almost every connection -- see
> first IMGUR link above

Problem is, both your IMGUR links lead to a 404.

--
no nym
0
> Now that XP is officially dying and I'll need to start using Win7 for
> surfing, I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful CookieCop2
> utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp). This is a local
> proxy which allows me two do two things I've found extremely helpful and,
> most importantly, simple and easy for Ye Olde Average User: (1) see many site
> subconnections which are allowed and blocked and adjust permissions as
> desired (see http://imgur.com/4A2sili); (2) use wildcards for site blocking
> (see http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s).
>
> I know that I can add entries to my Hosts file and I know things like AdBlock
> do similar things, but I have been under the impression that having to add
> every individual item from "server1.adserver.xyz" to "server347.adserver.xyz"
> and beyond is not only tedious but grows Hosts to ridiculous size; also
> regular expressions confound me to the ends of the Earth. I've tried using
> CookieCop in Win7 but it doesn't seem possible, even playing with
> compatibility settings.
>
> I've found Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) which seems to allow wildcards
> for blocking purposes but already looks like it requires much more
> configurating skillz than I may be able to summon.
>
> So bottom line: anyone have a suggestion for how best to replicate these
> functions in Win7? More info/data as needed, thanks as always. JLJ

Give this one a try CookieWall:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm

--
Zo

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as
hope.  With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.  If you
have HOPE, you have everything."
0
Zo
2/22/2014 6:50:03 PM
"no nym" <shortfuse@example.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:17:51 -0600, JLJ wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the cookie-themed replies so far, but I seem to have not made
>> myself clear: I'm NOT in need of cookie mgmt per se -- the main feature
>> of
>> CookieCop that I want to find for Win7 is the ability to filter/block
>> sites
>> using wildcards on a system level (eg, not a browser-specific add-on) in
>> something that I can grok (since Regular Expressions make my brain hurt).
>> Secondarily, CookieCop allowed a view of almost every connection -- see
>> first IMGUR link above
>
> Problem is, both your IMGUR links lead to a 404.

They load for me... not sure what's messing with your mojo. jlj

0
JLJ
2/22/2014 7:10:21 PM
JLJ was heard to say :

[...]
> They load for me... not sure what's messing with your mojo. jlj

the links should be:

1.- http://imgur.com/4A2sili
2.- http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s

But the way you posted them, enclosed in parenthesis, makes some news
readers take the closing parenthesis as part of the url (my reader does
that):
           http://imgur.com/4A2sili);

The solution is very simple, put an space where the link must end:

           http://imgur.com/4A2sili );

Hope this help both of you.

--
Mark Cross @ 02/22/2014 3:12 p.m.
Any man who wants to be president is either

0
Mark
2/22/2014 7:16:43 PM
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:16:43 -0400, Mark Cross wrote:

> JLJ was heard to say :

> [...]
>> They load for me... not sure what's messing with your mojo. jlj

> the links should be:

> 1.- http://imgur.com/4A2sili
> 2.- http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s

> But the way you posted them, enclosed in parenthesis, makes some news
> readers take the closing parenthesis as part of the url (my reader does
> that):
>            http://imgur.com/4A2sili);

> The solution is very simple, put an space where the link must end:

>            http://imgur.com/4A2sili );

> Hope this help both of you.

Right, now I see them, and no, I don't use anything that would do that :(

--
no nym
0
JLJ wrote:

> Thanks for the cookie-themed replies so far, but I seem to have not made
> myself clear: I'm NOT in need of cookie mgmt per se -- the main feature of
> CookieCop that I want to find for Win7 is the ability to filter/block sites
> using wildcards on a system level

Do you KNOW that CookieCop won't work on Win7? It may do, it could be worth
trying.

AlanD

0
AlanD
2/22/2014 9:13:30 PM
> JLJ wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the cookie-themed replies so far, but I seem to have not made
>> myself clear: I'm NOT in need of cookie mgmt per se -- the main feature
>> of
>> CookieCop that I want to find for Win7 is the ability to filter/block
>> sites
>> using wildcards on a system level
>
> Do you KNOW that CookieCop won't work on Win7? It may do, it could be
> worth trying.

I "know" in that it doesn't seem to, having installed it and run it under
various compatibility settings. It dates from 2002 so I'm not completely
surprised.

The good news is that Acrylic (and its available systray front end) seems to
offer at least some of the connection-listing functionality, and claims to
allow wildcard white/blacklists, though the configurational syntax required
seems, at least for now, to require lots of beer.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/acrylic/

JLJ

0
JLJ
2/22/2014 9:39:06 PM
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:13:30 +0000, AlanD wrote:

> JLJ wrote:

>> Thanks for the cookie-themed replies so far, but I seem to have not made
>> myself clear: I'm NOT in need of cookie mgmt per se -- the main feature of
>> CookieCop that I want to find for Win7 is the ability to filter/block sites
>> using wildcards on a system level

> Do you KNOW that CookieCop won't work on Win7? It may do, it could be worth
> trying.

Maybe it will ?

QUOTE

CookieCop 2 runs under Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP. If you are
using Windows 95, you will need to download the Windows Socket 2 Update
from www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads.

You also must have Comctl32.dll, version 4.70 or higher. If you are using
Windows 98, Me, 2000, or XP, you already have the correct version of this
DLL. If you are using Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0, you must have Internet
Explorer 3.x or later installed. If you don't, you can download the x86
version of 50comupd.exe (which will install the correct version of the DLL)
at www.microsoft.com/msdownload/ieplatform/ie/comctrlx86.asp. CookieCop 2's
setup program will warn you if you don't have the correct version of this
file.

UNQUOTE

So it looks like a 32 bit program, and might well run under Win 7. BICBW.

--
no nym
0
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:39:06 -0600, JLJ wrote:

> I "know" in that it doesn't seem to, having installed it and run it under
> various compatibility settings. It dates from 2002 so I'm not completely
> surprised.

One last thought. Did you install it in Program Files (x86) or in another
folder ? I've had one or two older programs that Win 7 did not like in the
Program Files (x86) folder, but coped with in a folder of a different name.

If you have already installed Cookie Cop in Program Files (x86), you might
need to remove its entry from the MUI Cache, after uninstalling, to stop
the OS looking in the wrong place.

--
no nym
0

> JLJ brought next idea :
>>  I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful
CookieCop2
>> utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp).

> Give this one a try CookieWall:

> http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm

As far as I recall, that excellent CookieWall of AnalogX's
manages MS Internet explorer cookies - only.
As such, maybe _not_ what John Lucifer is after...

Regards

--
Ninho

0
Ninho
2/23/2014 1:40:10 PM
Ninho submitted this idea :
> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> �crivait
>
>> JLJ brought next idea :
>>>  I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful  CookieCop2
>>> utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp).
>
>> Give this one a try CookieWall:
>
>> http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm
>
> As far as I recall, that excellent CookieWall of AnalogX's
> manages MS Internet explorer cookies - only.
> As such, maybe _not_ what John Lucifer is after...

Realized this after I hit the send button, but somebody might have a
use for it :-(

--
Zo

"Caution Water On Road During Rain" -- A sign in Malaysia.
0
Zo
2/23/2014 4:33:09 PM
JLJ submitted this idea :
> Now that XP is officially dying and I'll need to start using Win7 for
> surfing, I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful CookieCop2
> utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp). This is a local
> proxy which allows me two do two things I've found extremely helpful and,
> most importantly, simple and easy for Ye Olde Average User: (1) see many site
> subconnections which are allowed and blocked and adjust permissions as
> desired (see http://imgur.com/4A2sili); (2) use wildcards for site blocking
> (see http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s).
>
> I know that I can add entries to my Hosts file and I know things like AdBlock
> do similar things, but I have been under the impression that having to add
> every individual item from "server1.adserver.xyz" to "server347.adserver.xyz"
> and beyond is not only tedious but grows Hosts to ridiculous size; also
> regular expressions confound me to the ends of the Earth. I've tried using
> CookieCop in Win7 but it doesn't seem possible, even playing with
> compatibility settings.
>
> I've found Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) which seems to allow wildcards
> for blocking purposes but already looks like it requires much more
> configurating skillz than I may be able to summon.

<snip>

>> So bottom line: anyone have a suggestion for how best to replicate these
> functions in Win7? More info/data as needed, thanks as always. JLJ

Sorry about the other post, this one (MAXA Cookie Manager)appears to be
close to your request.  A comparison between the pro and free here:

http://www.maxa-tools.com/cookieh.php?lang=en

--
Zo

Do you ACTUALLY read taglines?
0
Zo
2/23/2014 5:00:59 PM
"Zo" <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote in message
> JLJ submitted this idea :
>> Now that XP is officially dying and I'll need to start using Win7 for
>> surfing, I'm looking for a replacement for PCMag's old but helpful
>> CookieCop2 utility (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,6139,00.asp).
>> This is a local proxy which allows me two do two things I've found
>> extremely helpful and, most importantly, simple and easy for Ye Olde
>> Average User: (1) see many site subconnections which are allowed and
>> blocked and adjust permissions as desired (see http://imgur.com/4A2sili);
>> (2) use wildcards for site blocking (see http://imgur.com/qQGdm4s).
>
> <snip>
>
>>> So bottom line: anyone have a suggestion for how best to replicate these
>> functions in Win7? More info/data as needed, thanks as always. JLJ
>
> Sorry about the other post, this one (MAXA Cookie Manager)appears to be
> close to your request.  A comparison between the pro and free here:
>
> http://www.maxa-tools.com/cookieh.php?lang=en

No need to apologize, though indeed I use IE as never as possible (which is
never, actually). But MAXA looks worth a... look... THX JLJ

0
JLJ

Terminology
Hi all, I've been having interesting discussions about this recently, and = thinking about it a lot, so I thought I'd open it up to the wider = engagement community as I thought you might have some insight on this, = particularly the tech evangelists. I have been using "Open Web App" as a term to describe the kinds of web = experiences I am teaching people to create via the Apps documentation on = MDN (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Apps). This includes = stuff like install API, manifests, priviledged APIs, etc. that are = currently only on Firefox ...

Like "C*" instead of Like "C%"?
I know it's trivial but I'm building programs for a house that has all users who are trained on Informix and Microsoft products. When given a Query By Example, they are used to placing "*" characters in for wildcards. Management complains that teaching them to use "%" in certain instances is going to be a support problem. Is there a way to alter the Powerbuilder wildcard character in a generic way so as to allow for this functionality? Pointers for how others have dealt with this problem are appreciated. Daniel Wynalda <danielw@wybbs.mi.org&g...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

Proposal: Move "Mozilla Labs" from "" to "Client Software"
The "Other Applications" product, containing ChatZilla, DOM Inspector etc. is in the "Client Software" Classification. It seems to make sense to have the "Mozilla Labs" product (which contains Joey and Operator at the moment) in the same Classification, rather than the current "Client Support". Doesn't it? Gerv On Jun 15, 7:31 pm, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote: > The "Other Applications" product, containing ChatZilla, DOM Inspector > etc. is in the "Client Software" Classification. It seems to...

"-" not "_"

double quote

Are "=" and "LIKE" equivalents when used with constants ?
Hi, I am just wondering if the following two queries will have the same effect in term of performance : select * from myTable where myField = "popo" select * from myTable where myField like "popo" As you can see I use = or LIKE for the same purpose. I hope that in this example the query time and the I/O will be the same. I lokked for indications on that in the Reference Manual, the Transact-SQL documentation without any success on that. I tried in a real database and it seems to perform equally. However I would like to be certain of this. When ASE 11...

Microsoft "spawn" ..or more and more "software spyware"
I was over at grc.techtalk at "Re: Browsers for visally challenged?" I started a further reply to that thread .. http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/WWW/ link is active. I clicked on Browsers under Categories ..and that led me to http://www.fastbrowser.net/download.html ..hmm ..the "pro" version ..has "integrated" screenreader. I mouseclicked on "site 2" download ..and it notified I needed chinese language module for characters to display properly. I didn't "okay" it and nevertheless I didn&...

Turning on "Secure Mail" on BMO for "Security-Sensitive Core Group"
Hello, The Mozilla Security Team is planning on turning on Secure Mail for "Security-Sensitive Core Bug" group bugs in the near term on bugzilla.mozilla.org. This has been previously turned on and tested for web and infrastructure security bugs during the past six months. I've put together a short guidance page for this at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Security_Bugs/EncryptedBugmail. We wanted to inform people of the current plan to avoid surprises. For most people, the effects of this will be minimal. If you're CC'd on a core security bug and have not ...

Replacing "\\" with "\"

change querymode "=" operator to "like"
I have a window that I toggle into and out of QueryMode. and I know the QueryMode default operator is +ACIAPQAi- .but I want to change it. for example I have a table like this: ID name depart ..... 1 Jason abc 2 Jacky abde ..... when the user input +ACI-Ja+ACI- in the name field and +ACI-ab+ACI- in teh depart field, the QueryMode provide the default criteria is +ACI- name +AD0-'ja' and depart +AD0-'ab' +ACI- , but I want to change it to +ACI- name like 'Ja+ACU-' and depart like 'ab+ACU-' +ACI-,so I can find all of t...

replace the "." with a ","

Web resources about - App like "CookieCop" for Win7? - grc.security.software