c.microsoft.com c2.microsoft.com crl.microsoft.com

Windows-update and various security patch downloads all access some or all
of the URL's c.microsoft.com c2.microsoft.com and crl.microsoft.com. I
suspected these URL's to do some information-snooping so I blocked all
requests to the internet. I was somewhat surprised to find that everything
was working completely as before. So my question is: does anyone here know
what these URL's are used for?
0
Mees
2/17/2002 5:37:00 PM
grc.privacy 4590 articles. 0 followers. Follow

As far as I know c.microsoft.com serves webbugs, and only webbugs.
Never found anything from the other two servers you mentioned. Where
did they show up and what did they serve?

Merijn
0
Merijn
2/18/2002 2:56:00 PM
They c2.microsoft.com is a recent newcomer (maybe c.microsoft.com got
overloaded). crl.microsoft.com and c.microsoft.com show up during use of
the (automated) windows-update. c.microsoft.com shows up during bug
downloads (q......exe). The funny thing is that they seem to have NO
FUNCTION in those processes (I block them 100%), so nothing goes FROM them
to my computer (the updates and downloads continue to do what they should
do). Then the only assumption left is that these URL's are ment to get
something FROM my computers that is not needed for the update and download
functions - hence my posting in a privacy related newsgroup (and maybe I
should add a spyware newsgroup too).

Mees.

"Merijn" <merijn@no.friggin.spam.netschaap.nl> wrote in message
> Where
> did they show up and what did they serve?
>
> Merijn

0
Mees
2/18/2002 9:09:00 PM
"Mees de Roo" <forgetthis.mees.deroo.andthistoo@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> They c2.microsoft.com is a recent newcomer (maybe c.microsoft.com got
> overloaded). crl.microsoft.com and c.microsoft.com show up during use of
> the (automated) windows-update. c.microsoft.com shows up during bug
> downloads (q......exe). The funny thing is that they seem to have NO
> FUNCTION in those processes (I block them 100%), so nothing goes FROM them
> to my computer (the updates and downloads continue to do what they should
> do). Then the only assumption left is that these URL's are ment to get
> something FROM my computers that is not needed for the update and download
> functions - hence my posting in a privacy related newsgroup (and maybe I
> should add a spyware newsgroup too).

possibly "crl" = certificate revocation list ?

Stephen
0
srwalker
2/19/2002 10:00:00 AM
"srwalker" <srwalker@hotPOTATOmail.com> wrote in message

> possibly "crl" = certificate revocation list ?

Well - possibly ???
This is windows-update, remember. That is a service that, every time I use
it, explicitly states that no information from my computer is sent to
microsoft. Now are they checking their own certificates (which I cannot
revocate) or are they checking mine? And no matter which one it is, why is
everything working when I block that check?

Mees.

> Stephen

0
Mees
2/19/2002 8:09:00 PM

> "srwalker" <srwalker@hotPOTATOmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > possibly "crl" = certificate revocation list ?
>
> Well - possibly ???
> This is windows-update, remember. That is a service that, every time I use
> it, explicitly states that no information from my computer is sent to
> microsoft. Now are they checking their own certificates (which I cannot
> revocate) or are they checking mine? And no matter which one it is, why is
> everything working when I block that check?

If they are checking certificates, then I imagine it would be to ensure that
any signed code you download was not signed by a certificate that has since
been revoked. I would consider this A Good Thing, as long as it can be
verified that this is indeed what it is doing. Remember last year someone
tricked Verisign into issuing them with certificates that identified
themselves as from Microsoft, and MS had to create a system for revoking
such certificates?

I started Ethereal capturing then visited WindowsUpdate and viewed the list
of product updates for my PC. In the packet capture I found one mention of
this server - in fact this URL.
http://crl.microsoft.com/pki/crl/products/CodeSignPCA.crl, which is a
certificate, apparently for revoking other certificates (although the
revocation list is blank).
This happened just after some chatter about Verisign.

I don't use packet sniffers much so someone else may be able to gather more
information, but I hope this helps.

Stephen
0
srwalker

Microsoft COM+/MSDTC Components (COM+) edition of the Microsoft Product Support Reporting Tool
The Microsoft Product Support Reporting Tool facilitates the gathering of critical system and logging information used in troubleshooting support issues. The reporting tool DOES NOT make any registry changes or modifications to the operating system. This tool gathers some of the same basic information needed for this support scenario category. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e52ae84a-66ef-4515-950c-cf0edd603a9a&DisplayLang=en -- Regard: Joh@nnes � :-)) "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

Microsoft Using Linux for microsoft.com
Microsoft has made a big deal out of asserting that Linux (news - web sites) is not fit for the enterprise (news - web sites). But Microsoft itself is using Linux to help protect its servers against denial-of-service (news - web sites) attacks. http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=74&e=4&u=/cmp/20030821/tc_cmp/13100775 "RT" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:bi5l4f$gqr$1@news.grc.com... > Microsoft has made a big deal out of asserting that Linux (news - web > sites) is not fit for the enterprise (news - web sites). B...

No microsoft patches are available at www.NOT-A-Microsoft-security-site.com
"No microsoft patches are available at www.NOT-A-Microsoft-security- site.com" from SANS "Diary" (2004-03-16) ========= excerpt ========= Erik van Straten reported receiving a spoofed email that led to a spoofed Microsoft site that downloaded a trojan with instructions to run it to patch your system. The site name is www.microsoft-security-updates.com is NOT a Microsoft site. This gets redirected tohttp://d558597.u25.surftown.com/mstasks.exe mstasks.exe is identified by Symantec/Norton AntiVirus beta definitions as "Trojan.Etsur". Repeat ...

microsoft.com
Name: Nils Product: Firefox Summary: microsoft.com Comments: Firefox didn´t show Microsoft.com correctly. Only the Internet Explorer shows it correctly. Please make this right. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; de; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 GTB5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

geobutton.com geoup.com, geobytes.com networldmap.com?
Do these website have the potensial for privacy 'invasion'? If you just to be on the safe side want them in your host file (I did a DNS Zone Query): # Geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 radev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 devadmin.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 ra.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 new.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 comdev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 buttondev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 mail.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 www.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 image.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 dev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 button.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 map.geoup.com # Geoup.com ...

www.microsoft.com
Hi, Please help bm37fp3b nw6sp3 and transparent proxy. We cant access www.microsoft.com or *.microsoft.com we are redirected to the page below. What can we do to rectify the problem ? Thanks Gerhard Baby Store Book Store Camera & Photo Store Computer Store Game Store DVD Store Electronics Store Kitchen Store Magazine Store Music Store Garden Store Softw...

Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Setup: DMZ Proxy Server: iPlanet on W2K with Websense installed (dont ask me about this part) Secure LAN Proxy Hierarchy: 2 * BorderManager 3.6 with ICP parents configured to be the iPlanet servers Attached ICP BMs in the branch offices with the 2 3.6 BMs running in the secure LAN Configuration: ICP Using Craigs tuneup.ncf, proxy.cfg Both Persistant Connections enabled *.microsoft.com excluded from caching Situation: After a fresh start of my 2 BM serves using proxy -cc i have a working windowsupdate functionality. Running 1+ hours at one point i get the error messa...

goodbye-microsoft.com
Has anyone tested this? http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ Tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_windows_installer -- Dennis Windows, Linux and OS X are merely device drivers for Firefox Help & How-To: http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Firefox.htm In newsgroup grc.techtalk.linux, Dennis Henderson wrote: > Has anyone tested this? > http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ > > Tutorial: > http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_windows_installer > Minimalist website to say the least. Looks like a nice idea but they should put a little more information on the web...

msdn.microsoft.com
Name: Mark Robinson Email: meworac_at_yahoo.com Product: Bon Echo Summary: msdn.microsoft.com Comments: When navigating msdn's Filesystem Object area I didn't receive any text. I then fired up IE for a comparison and noticed they have check boxes that you can select to display different text for jscript/c# etc. Which worked fine in IE but would not work in Bon Echo. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060321 Firefox/2.0a1 ...

search.microsoft.com
If I give h.microsoft.com no access in my proxy I can't access search.microsoft.com. Alright, I can accept that, but what if I tell you that h.microsoft.com doesn't exist!? Why can't I access search.microsoft.com if I block a non-existent sub-domain?? Any thoughts? I'm kinda lost here... -- ----------------------------------- � Dan The Man com dot myrealbox at beachvolley ----------------------------------- The blocking occurs without knowing whether the domain exists. "Daniel" <see_my_sig@for.my.real.address> wrote in message news:9jslnd$2p1n$...

what is origin2.microsoft.com
watching my watchguard and am seeing connections from internal PC's to origin2.microsoft.com pc's are running w2k in a w2k AD domain. I did not find much on google about it. what is it and why? TIA >watching my watchguard and am seeing connections from internal PC's to >origin2.microsoft.com >pc's are running w2k in a w2k AD domain. I did not find much on google >about it. >what is it and why? TIA Why not just take a look at it yourself? http://origin2.microsoft.com/ -- Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction crash@...

Microsoft.com Menus
Are the Microsoft menu's at the left sidebar available for download? If not, is there a free, easy-to-use alternative? :)Stanley Tan theSpoke Blog Right from this site. http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/default.aspx?Category=38&tabindex=2 * Never trust a circle * Does anyone have experience with any of these? I need one that is compatible across browsers including lower versions. :)Stanley Tan theSpoke Blog I have used 3, the tabstrip (with and without Multipage), and the Treeview. I rewrote Treeview so that it is compatible with both IE and Netscape. The tabstrip s...

Downloads as in microsoft.com
Hi folks, We want to do downloads as microsoft does in their pages, this is: click on a button/link, open a new browser where the download is done and the main browser is redirecting to a "Thanks for download" page. Well, the code we have is this: ------------------------------------------------------- Originalpage.aspx Response.Write("<script>window.location= 'https://" + serverName + vdirName + "thanks.aspx" + "'; window.open('download.aspx','', 'toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no, scrollbars=no,resizable=no,copyhistory=no,width=80,height=80,top=0,lef...

Microsoft Retiring COM
Anyone seen the 7/11 announcement from Microsoft? "Summary: Microsoft's new .NET infrastructure leaves its long-standing COM platform behind and turns the current COM-based applications into a future legacy environment. Event: On 11 July 2000 at its annual Professional Developers Conference, Microsoft revealed .NET Framework - the new set of class libraries at the core of .NET. The new class framework does not use the COM classes. Microsoft describes its new programming model as a productivity and flexibility improvement over COM, and claims seamless compatibility of the ...

Web resources about - c.microsoft.com c2.microsoft.com crl.microsoft.com - grc.privacy

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message