Battle Creek, MI strikes a blow for spammers!!

FYI

For those that don't know, Orbz.org is (or was) an anti-spam DNS
blacklist. Using it on my own server eliminated 80+% of all incoming
spam with no known collateral damage . . .

The city of Battle Creek, MI  filed criminal charges filed against
Ian Gulliver of Orbz.org for sending an email FROM bounce@127.0.0.0
which crashed the city's mail server, due to bugs in the outdated
version of Lotus Domino that they were running. Info in the stories
at Wired and The Register.

If this steams you, like it does me, a polite call or two to some of
Battle Creeks fine officials and staff, pointing out how idiotic this
will look like to some people (not *YOU*, of course) may well
induce them to reconsider the charges.

############# National / International Coverage ############

http://www.wired.com/news
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,51218,00.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/

################# Usenet Discussion#################

news.admin.net-abuse.email

################# Battle Creek Media #################

WOTV TV (616) 966-6841
http://www.wotv.com/

WKFR Radio (616) 978-1033
http://www.wkfr.com/

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/
155 West Van Buren Street
Battle Creek, MI 49015
800-333-4139

################# City of Battle Creek #################

#### INTERNET

http://www.battlecreek.org/ (all purpose city site)
http://ci.battle-creek.mi.us (city gov site)

http://www.battlecreekmich.com/ (not official site)
http://216.117.150.42/battlecreekmichcom/cgi-bin/battlecreek/guestbook.cgi#s
ign

ci.battle-creek.mi.us resolves to 209.49.165.206
www.ci.battle-creek.mi.us resolves to 216.120.168.62
Mail for ci.battle-creek.mi.us is handled by mail.ci.battle-creek.mi.us (5)
216.120.168.61

battlecreek.org 204.246.1.31
mail.battlecreek.org  216.120.158.120

################# ELECTED OFFICIALS #################

http://ci.battle-creek.mi.us/Government/Low/Biographies.htm

Mayor:  Brian Kirkham
10 N. Division St., Suite 215
Battle Creek, MI   49014
616-966-3371 (voice)
616-966-3627 (fax)
[NO EMAIL!!]

Vice Mayor Becky Squires
Branch Manager, AAA
Phone:  W: 616-966-2240 H: 616-968-2555
Fax:  W: 616-966-9340 H: 616-966-6250
rasquires@aaamichigan.com

Commissioner Tyrone R. Baines
Phone:  W: 616-969-2677, H: 616-979-5185
Fax:  W: 616-969-2188
tyrone.baines@wkkf.org

Commissioner Mark A. Behnke
Behnke, Inc.
Phone:  W: 616-962-4231, H: 616-965-8842
Fax:  W: 616-966-5707
markbehnke@aol.com

Commissioner Peter M. Bilbia
Retired
Phone:  H: 616-963-9188
Fax:  H: 616-963-9212

Commissioner John Godfrey
Godfrey Jewelers
Phone:  W: 616-962-7928, H: 616-968-9574
Fax:  W: 616-962-9151
jgjg625@aol.com

Commissioner Nancy MacFarlane
Director of Community Investments United Way
Phone:  W: 616-962-9538, H: 616-962-3106
Fax:  H: 616-962-3106
Nancy_Macfarlane@hotmail.com

Commissioner Kennet Santana
Executive Director, STRIVE
Phone:  W: 616-964-6762, H: 616-968-9152
Fax:  W: 616-964-6102
santana@vivaward3.com

Commissioner Tony L. Walker
Laster-Walker Financial Services
Phone:  H: 616-965-8435
Fax:  W: 616-965-4599
walkertl1@home.com

################# STAFF #################

City Attorney:  Clyde Robinson
10 N. Division St., Suite 215
Battle Creek, MI   49014
616-966-3385 (voice)
616-966-3644 (fax)

City Manager: George J. Strand
10 N. Division St., Suite 215
Battle Creek, MI   49014
616-966-3378 (voice)
616-966-3644 (fax)

Acting Chief of Police:  Michael Olson
20 N. Division St.
Battle Creek, MI   49014
616-966-3305 (voice)
616-969-9711 (fax)

Ben
3/21/2002 6:05:00 PM
grc.privacy 4590 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ben wrote...

<...>
> City Attorney:  Clyde Robinson
> 10 N. Division St., Suite 215
> Battle Creek, MI   49014
> 616-966-3385 (voice)
> 616-966-3644 (fax)

cjrobinson@ci.battle-creek.mi.us
0
reader
3/21/2002 7:51:00 PM
Ben <replies-to-the-group@if-you-please.com> writes:

>For those that don't know, Orbz.org is (or was) an anti-spam DNS
>blacklist. Using it on my own server eliminated 80+% of all incoming
>spam with no known collateral damage . . .

Personally, I'm glad ORBZ has gone.  It was broken, as was its
predecessor.  It would list the ISP smarthosts instead of the customer's
open relays. :(

--
Jim Crowther                         "It's MY computer" (tm)
Help Keith Little (pchelp):    <http://www.pc-help.org/suit>
"reader" <reader@yghtjjdsb.com> wrote:

>> City Attorney:  Clyde Robinson
>> 10 N. Division St., Suite 215
>> Battle Creek, MI   49014
>> 616-966-3385 (voice)
>> 616-966-3644 (fax)

I just spoke to this man on the phone.

He is not responsible for the charges, the police chief is.

According to Clyde, the felony charges for computer trespass are being
reconsidered.

My impression:  The city's officials have received a great deal of
largely unwanted attention over this, and I think they want to get it
behind them.  They may or may not recognize their error in the technical
sense (there was no computer intrusion), but the PR aspects of the thing
are evidently impactful enough to suggest a change of course.

Clyde had a rather odd concept of Orbz.  While he had a rough idea of
the intent of their mail-server scans, and of what happened to the
city's server; he clearly regarded Orbz as a disreputable operation.  He
envisioned them as like the "Lone Gunmen" of X-files fame; friendless
geeks with a warped perspective, and with nothing better to do than hack
other people's systems.

I may or may not have succeeded in changing that image in his mind.  I
was clear about the technical issues WRT open maiil relays and such, and
about the function of the Orbz robot.  I also stressed that their
service is used very broadly and understood and appreciated by
professionals throughout the world who are responsible for the Net's
infrastructure.  I pointed out that millions of people benefit, whether
they know it or not, by their ISPs' ability to selectively block open
mail relays, with which they are assisted by Orbz' data-gathering
efforts.

But I can't say how well he truly understood.

Hopefully, the charges will indeed have been dropped and Orbz will be
allowed to continue with its vital and beneficial service.

pchelp
0
pchelp
3/21/2002 8:27:00 PM
Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote:

>Personally, I'm glad ORBZ has gone.  It was broken, as was its
>predecessor.  It would list the ISP smarthosts instead of the customer's
>open relays. :(

I hadn't heard of this, Jim.  Why, and to what effect?

pchelp
3/21/2002 8:28:00 PM
"pchelp" <pchelp@pc-help.org> wrote in message
> Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote:
>
> >Personally, I'm glad ORBZ has gone.  It was broken, as was its
> >predecessor.  It would list the ISP smarthosts instead of the customer's
> >open relays. :(
>
> I hadn't heard of this, Jim.  Why, and to what effect?

ORBZ had two lists: inputs and outputs. I'm pretty sure the
outputs list would catch "smart-hosts" with upstream spammers.

I didn't use the outputs list, due to collateral damage (which Ian
warned against) but some folks did.

Rapidsite (whose mail server apparently 'smart-hosts' for
pchelponline) has a lot of reports in NANAE and NANAS.
Apparently, they dealt with them, because the server isn't
in any of the blacklists, but it's pretty likely that the server
pchelponline used was in and out of the ORBZ outputs list.

So, "pchelp" apparently got some heartburn as a result of
living so close to a number of spammers.
0
Ben
3/21/2002 8:42:00 PM
"Ben" <replies-to-the-group@if-you-please.com> wrote in message
> "pchelp" <pchelp@pc-help.org> wrote in message
> > Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote:
> >

> So, "pchelp" apparently got some heartburn as a result of
> living so close to a number of spammers.

Oops, big oops, MEGA oops!

I meant "Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> ", not
"pchelp"
0
Ben
3/21/2002 8:44:00 PM
pchelp <pchelp@pc-help.org> writes:

>I pointed out that millions of people benefit, whether
>they know it or not, by their ISPs' ability to selectively block open
>mail relays, with which they are assisted by Orbz' data-gathering
>efforts.

Many others have their e-mail blocked due to ORBZ broken-ness.

>But I can't say how well he truly understood.
>
>Hopefully, the charges will indeed have been dropped

I agree.

>and Orbz will be allowed to continue with its vital and beneficial
>service.

If they fix themselves...

--
Jim Crowther                         "It's MY computer" (tm)
Help Keith Little (pchelp):    <http://www.pc-help.org/suit>
Help defeat Lockdown and get a CD labeller at the same time:
                      <http://pchelponline.org/cdlabelergold>
0
Jim
3/21/2002 8:52:00 PM
pchelp <pchelp@pc-help.org> writes:

>Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote:
>
>>Personally, I'm glad ORBZ has gone.  It was broken, as was its
>>predecessor.  It would list the ISP smarthosts instead of the customer's
>>open relays. :(
>
>I hadn't heard of this, Jim.  Why, and to what effect?

Any ISP that provided total connectivity to the net, and who then had a
customer mis-configure a server, even for a few minutes, was liable to
have *all* their customers (that by chance used a particular smarthost)
prevented from e-mailing those whose ISP's believed ORBS/Z.  It would
take days or weeks to get the smarthost off the lists.  Luckily my main
ISP has a cluster of them.

A right royal PITA.

It is one reason I am fiercely against using any ISP that uses filtering
that *I* do not set up.

--
Jim Crowther                         "It's MY computer" (tm)
Help Keith Little (pchelp):    <http://www.pc-help.org/suit>
Help defeat Lockdown and get a CD labeller at the same time:
                      <http://pchelponline.org/cdlabelergold>
0
Jim
3/21/2002 9:00:00 PM
Ben <replies-to-the-group@if-you-please.com> writes:

>"Ben" <replies-to-the-group@if-you-please.com> wrote in message
>> "pchelp" <pchelp@pc-help.org> wrote in message
>> > Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote:
>> >

>> So, "pchelp" apparently got some heartburn as a result of
>> living so close to a number of spammers.
>>

>Oops, big oops, MEGA oops!
>
>I meant "Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> ", not
>"pchelp"

We know. :)

Not living close to spammers, but using an ISP that allows customers to
deploy their own servers[1] - which are sometimes mis-configured.  They
aren't for long these days.  They used to get a warning, now they lose
most connectivity until the server is fixed.

[1]     Many customers are commercial ones, with leased lines etc.  Even
        the dial-up customers can run servers if they wish, as I often
        do for e-mail, to receive it by SMTP.  My software (see headers)
        won't allow relaying though. <g>

--
Jim Crowther                         "It's MY computer" (tm)
Help Keith Little (pchelp):    <http://www.pc-help.org/suit>
Help defeat Lockdown and get a CD labeller at the same time:
                     <http://pchelponline.org/cdlabelergold>
0
Jim
3/21/2002 9:15:00 PM
Jim Crowther <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote:

>Many others have their e-mail blocked due to ORBZ broken-ness.

Guess I can't claim close familiarity with more recent events; but going
back a few years, I came to believe that Orbs, for all that there were
problems and controversy, did far more good than harm.

Even if they've done a poor job in some respects, it's obviously a
difficult thing to do well, and I feel inclined to believe their
intentions, and overall effects, have continued to be positive.

pchelp
0
pchelp
3/21/2002 10:59:00 PM
"Jim Crowther" <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote in message

> Any ISP that provided total connectivity to the net, and who then had a
> customer mis-configure a server, even for a few minutes, was liable to
> have *all* their customers (that by chance used a particular smarthost)
> prevented from e-mailing those whose ISP's believed ORBS/Z.  It would
> take days or weeks to get the smarthost off the lists.  Luckily my main
> ISP has a cluster of them.
>
> A right royal PITA.
>
> It is one reason I am fiercely against using any ISP that uses filtering
> that *I* do not set up.

"Jim", you are still overlooking something. The blockage that caused
you problems occurred, not at ORBZ, but at your email recipient's ISP.

And, it occurred because the ISP -- not ORBZ -- used the outputs
list that Ian specifically warned would create collateral damage. Maybe
you live in London, where they blame the gun maker, instead of the
shooter, but I'm from Georgia, where we still believe that the guy
who shoots you is the problem, not the guy who makes the gun.But
here in Georgia, if you are in the midst of a gang breaking into a
house, and you get shot, well, don't expect lots of sympathy from
the court or the jury.

You are blaming ORBZ for making it possible for some of your
email recipients to choose to block your email, along with much
spam. That's THEIR choice!!

It may not be a choice you like. It's not the choice I've made with
my server. But, it's STILL THEIR CHOICE. You may not like it,
but that's beside the point.

And blaming Ian for making it possible for them to make that
choice misses the point. With his list, it was possible -- sooner
or later, though maybe not soon enough for you -- to get off the
list. But, as block lists have been taken down, they've been
replaced by even more blocklists. These days, ISP's who've
cleaned up have to go to as many as 10 different lists and try
to get off.

Take down those 10, and everyone will run their own private
lists . . . and there will be NO way to get off those. What's more,
because of the work required to maintain those lists, admins
will, in many cases, put in geographic blocks, to reduce the
maintenance. As you surely know, many admins ALREADY
have decided that they don't need mail (or any connection)
to 61.0.0.0/8. Certainly, I have, and diplomatic complaints
from Communist China or South Korea will have no effect
on those lines in my firewall. Quite honestly, once my new
firewall goes into place most RIPE servers and all APNIC
servers will be unable to connect to my server on port 25.
I'm putting in some holes for big blocks in the UK, AU,
and NZ . . . but otherwise, users from APNIC and RIPE
will have to utilize heavily filtered response pages on the
various web sites. In my case, the ratio of legit traffic to
hacker/spammer traffic from non-English speaking areas
tilts toward spam and hacking by WAY more than 10:1.

The tiny amount of legit traffic in no way compensates for
the trouble caused by the other traffic.

You have to realize that many US and Canadian admins
could totally live without connections from RIPE, APNIC,
or ARIN South America. Right now, ORBZ provides a
superior alternative, at least with respect to spam.

What we need is NOT for ORBZ to shutdown, but a similar
mechanism to dynamically block Class C's in  hacker friendly ISP's,
like Deutshe Telekom, Wanadoo, and Road Runner. Right now,
if you complain to DT, they'll just tell you to piss off. So far as
I can tell RR totally ignores all complaints. I can live without
DT traffic, and you can probably live without RR traffic, but a
better option would be a blacklist that puts real pressure on
both RR and DT to clean up their act.

The alternative is an increasingly balkanized internet. And
that will be way more of a "A right royal PITA".

.. . . my two cents (pence?).
0
Ben
3/22/2002 4:14:00 PM
Ben wrote...

<...>
> The city of Battle Creek, MI  filed criminal charges filed against
> Ian Gulliver of Orbz.org for sending an email FROM bounce@127.0.0.0
> which crashed the city's mail server, due to bugs in the outdated
> version of Lotus Domino that they were running. Info in the stories
> at Wired and The Register.

I note that Battle Creek retreated under heavy fire:

"March 21, 2002
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Michelle Reen, Assistant to the City Manager, 966-3378
City Settles Dispute with orbz.org
BATTLE CREEK, MI � City officials have agreed not to pursue charges against
Ian Gulliver, a 20-year-old systems administrator from Ghent, New York and
the administrator of orbz.org."

http://ci.battle-creek.mi.us/Services/CityManager/High/PressReleases.htm#03/21/02

Jeez, I hope pchelp never becomes a telemarketer!
0
reader
3/22/2002 5:55:00 PM
On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:59:47 GMT, pchelp@pc-help.org (pchelp) wrote:

>Guess I can't claim close familiarity with more recent events; but going
>back a few years, I came to believe that Orbs, for all that there were
>problems and controversy, did far more good than harm.

PcHelp -- you have ORBS mixed up with ORBZ.  ORBS was owned and
operated by...  I forget who first, and then Alan Brown.  He shut it
down last year, and a number of similar blacklists of open relays
started up.  ORBZ was one of them.

Other than both being lists of allegedly open SMTP relays, though,
they had nothing in common.  They were run by different people, and in
different countries.  (ORBS was in New Zealand.)

--
Catherine Hampton             <ariel@tempest.boxmail.com>
Home Page          *            <http://www.devsite.org/>

(Please use this address for replies -- the address in my header is a
spam trap.)
0
Catherine
3/22/2002 6:01:00 PM
Ben <replies-to-the-group@if-you-please.com> writes:

>"Jim Crowther" <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote in message
>
>> Any ISP that provided total connectivity to the net, and who then had a
>> customer mis-configure a server, even for a few minutes, was liable to
>> have *all* their customers (that by chance used a particular smarthost)
>> prevented from e-mailing those whose ISP's believed ORBS/Z.  It would
>> take days or weeks to get the smarthost off the lists.  Luckily my main
>> ISP has a cluster of them.
>>
>> A right royal PITA.
>>
>> It is one reason I am fiercely against using any ISP that uses filtering
>> that *I* do not set up.
>>

>"Jim", you are still overlooking something. The blockage that caused
>you problems occurred, not at ORBZ, but at your email recipient's ISP.
>
>And, it occurred because the ISP -- not ORBZ -- used the outputs
>list that Ian specifically warned would create collateral damage.
[]

>You are blaming ORBZ for making it possible for some of your
>email recipients to choose to block your email, along with much
>spam. That's THEIR choice!!

The smarthosts of my ISP, Demon, were regularly in the wrong list.
A quote (admittedly some time ago) from Andrew Gierth:

        "ORBS works by the IP address of the mail server that sends it
        mail. If someone reports an open relay, ORBS tries to send
        itself mail via that relay; if the mail arrives back at ORBS, it
        lists the IP address(es) of the system(s) that delivered the
        mail to it. So if some customer has an open relay that uses
        post.dcu as smarthost, then ORBS will send its test mail to the
        customer, which will send it to post, which will (correctly)
        send it back to ORBS, which will then list *post's* IP addresses
        in its database."

Broken.

--
Jim Crowther                         "It's MY computer" (tm)
Help Keith Little (pchelp):    <http://www.pc-help.org/suit>
Help defeat Lockdown and get a CD labeller at the same time:
                     <http://pchelponline.org/cdlabelergold>
0
Jim
3/23/2002 3:00:00 AM
> Ben <replies-to-the-group@if-you-please.com> writes:
>

> >You are blaming ORBZ for making it possible for some of your
> >email recipients to choose to block your email, along with much
> >spam. That's THEIR choice!!
>

>The smarthosts of my ISP, Demon, were regularly in the wrong list.
>A quote (admittedly some time ago) from Andrew Gierth:
>
>         "ORBS works by the IP address of the mail server that sends it
>         mail. If someone reports an open relay, ORBS tries to send
>         itself mail via that relay; if the mail arrives back at ORBS, it
>         lists the IP address(es) of the system(s) that delivered the
>         mail to it. So if some customer has an open relay that uses
>         post.dcu as smarthost, then ORBS will send its test mail to the
>         customer, which will send it to post, which will (correctly)
>         send it back to ORBS, which will then list *post's* IP addresses
>         in its database."
>
> Broken.
> --
> Jim Crowther                         "It's MY computer" (tm)

"ORBS"??  "Andrew Gierth"??

Do you not know the difference between ORBS and ORBZ??

Here's a hint: it's not just a "Z".

And here's another one: being blocked by the ORBS
list has NOTHING to do with being on the ORBZ list.

So far as Google knows, "Andrew Gierth" hasn't commented
on ORBZ.

So, please note the difference between "S" and "Z", and between
New Zealand (former home of ORBS) and New York (lately,
home of ORBZ), and please hold further posts until the differences
are clear in your mind.

Thanks

Ben
0
Ben
3/23/2002 6:08:00 AM
"reader" <reader@yghtjjdsb.com> wrote:

>I note that Battle Creek retreated under heavy fire:
>http://ci.battle-creek.mi.us/Services/CityManager/High/PressReleases.htm#03/21/02

>Jeez, I hope pchelp never becomes a telemarketer!

LOL!  I think they'd made the decision before I called.

But hey.  Maybe you have something there.  What's your phone number?

pchelp ;-)
0
pchelp
3/23/2002 8:51:00 AM
Ben writes:

>"Jim Crowther" <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote in message
[]
>>The smarthosts of my ISP, Demon, were regularly in the wrong list.
[]
>Do you not know the difference between ORBS and ORBZ??

[]
>So, please note the difference between "S" and "Z", and between
>New Zealand (former home of ORBS) and New York (lately,
>home of ORBZ), and please hold further posts until the differences
>are clear in your mind.

My apologies, and thanks Ben, I was a year behind in my understanding of
the operation of the lists.  However, it was still the case that
mistaken use of the outputs list caused problems for many.  I don't see
the same problems with ORDB.

So I retract my condemnation, and after seeing some of the problems that
*not* having ORBZ available has caused for those who relied on it, I'm
sad it disappeared so quickly and with so little warning.

--
Jim Crowther
Help Keith Little (pchelp):    <http://www.pc-help.org/suit>
Help defeat Lockdown and get a CD labeller at the same time:
                      <http://pchelponline.org/cdlabelergold>
0
Jim

Privacy.. which privacy ?
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8758/Tomorrow+the+FBI+will+be+able+to+wiretap+all+internet+users I can't see privacy here "ObiWan" <anzen.NO@SPAM.gmx.net> wrote in message news:f2f58g$2jv4$1@news.grc.com... > http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8758/Tomorrow+the+FBI+will+be+able+to+wiretap+all+internet+users > > I can't see privacy here Shhhhhhh...the wires have ears. On Wednesday, Anonymous Bob ventured about what: > ObiWan wrote <in reference to> Tomorrow+the+FBI+will+be+able+to+wiretap+all+internet+users >> >> I ca...

Privacy? What privacy?
Followup to grc.privacy http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industry/10/03/ftc.industry.ap/index.html Ponemon, a privacy consultant, said he has been contacted by many companies -- such as banks and a national supermarket chain -- asking how they should tell consumers that they gave huge swaths of consumer data to law enforcement. In many cases, Ponemon said, the companies sent the information on their own initiative in order to assist the terrorism investigation. Some firms, such as airlines and car rental agencies, are breaking their privacy policies by sharing data to analyze suspic...

The Battle For Privacy Begins???
Consumer Reports published an article titled "The battle for privacy begins" in their June, 2003 issue. Wonder where they have been <VBG>... In part, the article, on page 6, reads, "The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is largely responsible for making your financial life an open book. Passed by Congress in 1999, it allows banks, insurance companies, and brokerage houses to sell one another's products and services. The business affiliations that the law enabled also allow those institutions to share sensitive consumer financial information. As a result, dat...

Spammer strikes back, takes down site
Well, if you go to http://www.evidence-eliminator-sucks.com you'll see that it's gone. Nothing there but a cease and desist letter. This morning my ISP called me and said they'd gotten a nastygram from lawyers about my site http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com , which details (well, detailed) the true story of the whackiest bunch of spammer scammers on the Internet. This letter threatened to file a lawsuit in England against them for "aiding and abetting libel" if they did not immediately remove the site from the Internet. Unfortunately, a) my ISP is a smal...

Battle Creek backs down on ORBZ charges?
Read carefully. It sounds like they are trying to backdate their decision to backdown on prosecution. Also, it hasn't been confirmed yet. Firestorm over spam in Battle Creek BATTLE CREEK (NEWS 3) - The city of Battle Creek made international news this week over a fight involving junk email. Email sent by anti-spam activist Ian Gulliver to the city's server last month caused the server to slow down for an entire day. Gulliver says he was just trying to point out a weakness in the city's server that could allow someone to use it to send spam email. But the city didn&#...

Kaspersky Labs strikes another blow against viruses
Kaspersky Labs announces Rapid Virus Response - a new technology for updating anti-virus databases. Culham Innovation Centre, UK (22nd December 2003) Kaspersky Labs, a leading information security software developer, announces Rapid Virus Response. This new technology enables the user to automatically download updates for Kaspersky Anti-Virus databases over the Internet every three hours. This significantly improves the level of protection against new virus outbreaks. More at http://www.sourcewire.com/?releaseid=17813 -- Regards, Don Track Software Updates at http://www.dozle...

Lycos, spammers trade blows over screen saver
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/groupware/story/0,10 801,97990,00.html DECEMBER 02, 2004 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - Lycos Europe NV is caught in a tit-for-tat struggle with spammers just days after releasing a free screen saver program that uses computer downtime to swamp Web sites associated with spam campaigns. At least one Web site targeted by Lycos' "Make Love, Not Spam" program, www.moretgage.info, has changed its Web page, forwarding requests it receives to http://makelovenotspam.com, a Web domain that distributes the software, according ...

Copy-protected CD makers lose battle (inc. privacy ref)
"Makers of a recording by country-pop singer Charley Pride have agreed to stop tracking most listener habits and to warn consumers that the CD is not compatible with MP3 and other players, according to attorneys for a woman who sued the companies. California resident Karen DeLise sued Music City Records, Fahrenheit Entertainment and digital rights management company Sunncomm in Marin County Superior Court in September, alleging that actions they took to exert control over the album "Charley Pride: A Tribute to Jim Reeves" illegally violated consumer expectations. The alb...

spammer
Can somebody please block this asshole "blog651@watchesblog.cn"? I'm sick of finding his crap for sale every time I open this newsgroup. If there's some way that I can "block sender" please let me know. Thanks. On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:37:08 -0400, in message <lIudnRfVXJRwoeLVnZ2dnUVZ_oDinZ2d@mozilla.org>, Dave wrote: > If > there's some way that I can "block sender" please let me know. Two ways. The first one is easier, but the second one allows you to create a filter which applies to more than one group. 1. FIRST MET...

mi
Name: gil Email: ghyll16atyahoodotcomdotbr Product: Shiretoko Alpha 1 Summary: mi Comments: mmmmm oo Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1a1) Gecko/2008072310 Shiretoko/3.1a1 From URL: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3.1a1/firstrun/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Spammer trap! A link to feed spammers
The very useful Spam Interceptor system (www.si20.com)was mentionned here before, but I do not know if that new page of theirs has gotten due attention : http://si20.com/femail Summary : Welcome to our spammer trap! Spammers use automated scripts to 'scrub' the web and search for email addresses. Any spammer attempting to grab email addresses from our web site will most likely be using a script which simply follows links and remembers email addresses it comes across. This page will keep sending them their own email addresses until their script achieves its quota. L...

really enjoyed the DDOS blow-by-blow
Just wanted to chime in and say how much I enjoyed the DDOS "who-dunnit" of sorts on grc.com. It's too bad you're being attacked Steve. Guess that's the risk you run by performing so many services for the public good. I have my own Linux firewall protecting my home network. But I am definitely in the minority. I forwarded the article to the friends and family I know who have an Internet connection. They're constantly asking me about security. I'm hoping they spread the word about ZoneAlarm. My background is in computer network programming and Inte...

SPAMMER?
In the past few days I've noticed an increase in the number of undeliverables being sent to the Postmaster on this GW 5.1 system. They are all mass mailing to people with AOL account numbers. Can anyone shed any light on where these are coming from - header info below. I'm not sure how to read the coding. And then of course, how do I stop this. I'm sure they are not being generated my any of the GW users nor are the receipents anyone here. Thanks Judy MAIL FROM: <jrhrz4cwu@hotmail.com> RCPT TO: <dsantieste@aol.com> RCPT TO: <carton1000...

Privacy
Name: Pablo Email: bossodmossataoldotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Privacy Comments: The address bar retains previous site visits even after clearing private data. Also- Newer Beta's do not update icons to latest version number. Thanks. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Web resources about - Battle Creek, MI strikes a blow for spammers!! - grc.privacy

Facebook Donates $250K Recovered From Spammers To UAB
... grant from Facebook Monday, and the funding comes not from the company’s coffers, but from money that Facebook has recovered from spammers around ...

Updates in Facebook’s Fight Against Spam and Spammers - Facebook
Facebook Security hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Updates in Facebook’s Fight Against Spam and Spammers geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

Facebook wins $3 million, injunctive relief in spammer lawsuit
After a years-long battle in court, Facebook won a $3 million-plus cash settlement and permanent injunction against the company behind Power.com ...

Help us nail spammers - Twitter Blogs
Today we’ve added another tool to our spam fighting toolbox that will give users the ability to flag bad accounts on Twitter. Folks can now help ...

Spotless - Block Instagram spammers automatically on the App Store on iTunes
Get Spotless - Block Instagram spammers automatically on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Link-shrinking attracts spammers and scammers
On the short-messaging service Twitter, space is at a premium: You've got 140 characters to make your point, and you probably don't want to waste ...

What's old is new again: Spammers revived old schemes in March quarter - spam, antispam, applications ...
Volumes remain steady as junkmeisters return to old spam scams Spammers revived some old scams during the first three months of the year to wrap ...

FBI shuts down suspected spammer
A man described as a leading sender of spam in the US says an FBI raid on his home office has halted his email operation. -

'Timeshare spammer' set to plead guilty
A man known as 'The Timeshare Spammer' has said he will plead guilty to one count of violating anti-spam laws. -