Anyone familiar with STUMBLEUPON.COM?

I'm sorry to say it, but I really did stumble upon www.stumbleupon.com -- a
toolbar download that lets you rate net sites and aggregates positive votes.
Looks interesting, I'm sure it's "legit," but I'm wondering if anyone knows
anything about potentially nefarious installation and/or privacy
considerations? Or experience with it and thoughts? THANKS
0
John
6/7/2004 11:59:00 PM
grc.privacy 4590 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In message <ca2v5r$d5h$1@news.grc.com>, John Lucifer Jones
<johnluciferjones@yahoo.com> writes
>I'm sorry to say it, but I really did stumble upon www.stumbleupon.com -- a
>toolbar download that lets you rate net sites and aggregates positive votes.
>Looks interesting, I'm sure it's "legit," but I'm wondering if anyone knows
>anything about potentially nefarious installation and/or privacy
>considerations? Or experience with it and thoughts? THANKS

http://stumbleupon.theprawn.com/

According to this site it's spyware in a glossy cover.
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review117264.html

This guy is having trouble getting rid of it:
http://forums.itweek.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=11&thread=30400

It looks like it logs web pages you visit [with the optional rating you
give it] but I'm not sure how automated that is. Does it send a report
on _every_ page you visit or just the ones you rate? Hmm. Pass thanks.

--
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets:
http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm

"John Lucifer Jones" <johnluciferjones@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry to say it, but I really did stumble upon www.stumbleupon.com --
> toolbar download that lets you rate net sites and aggregates positive
votes.
> Looks interesting, I'm sure it's "legit," but I'm wondering if anyone
knows
> anything about potentially nefarious installation and/or privacy
> considerations? Or experience with it and thoughts? THANKS

0
CroiX
6/10/2004 8:46:00 PM
"CroiX" <usenet.g.r.c@no.frichen.spam.blahdot.com> wrote:

>"John Lucifer Jones" <johnluciferjones@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> I'm sorry to say it, but I really did stumble upon www.stumbleupon.com -- a
>> toolbar download that lets you rate net sites and aggregates positive votes.
>> Looks interesting, I'm sure it's "legit," but I'm wondering if anyone knows
>> anything about potentially nefarious installation and/or privacy
>> considerations? Or experience with it and thoughts? THANKS

>I'm a very security/privacy minded stumbleupon user. I have monitored the
>traffic from packets being transmitted while browsing and never found any
>suspicious data being leaked back to stumbleupon. As far as I can tell the
>only information being collected by stumbleupon is purely voluntary. If you
>are interested in finding out more about me in order to validate my claims,
>visit my blog at vousdeux.stumbleupon.com.

By its very nature it IS data-mining.  Which is not _necessarily_ evil;
but on today's Net, it usually is.

I would place at least two conditions on any sort of positive
recommendation:

 - The data gathered must not be used in any way for profiling of users,
    nor for targeting of ads;
 - if they sell artificially high ranking to sites that haven't actually
    earned it by means of genuine votes, then the system is tainted, and
    worse than useless.

pchelp
0
pchelp

anyone use mint.com or yodlee.com
both mint.com and yodlee.com allow an individual to consolidate all bank accounts, credit cards, mutual funds, etc.. in a "single view" my concern is, are they safe? In grc.security, mgwmp wrote: >both mint.com and yodlee.com allow an individual to consolidate all bank >accounts, credit cards, mutual funds, etc.. in a "single view" > >my concern is, are they safe? I've seen articles citing privacy concerns with mint.com but I don't have the links handy. <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22mint.com%22+privacy&btnG=...

Privacy? What privacy?
Followup to grc.privacy http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industry/10/03/ftc.industry.ap/index.html Ponemon, a privacy consultant, said he has been contacted by many companies -- such as banks and a national supermarket chain -- asking how they should tell consumers that they gave huge swaths of consumer data to law enforcement. In many cases, Ponemon said, the companies sent the information on their own initiative in order to assist the terrorism investigation. Some firms, such as airlines and car rental agencies, are breaking their privacy policies by sharing data to analyze suspic...

Privacy.. which privacy ?
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8758/Tomorrow+the+FBI+will+be+able+to+wiretap+all+internet+users I can't see privacy here "ObiWan" <anzen.NO@SPAM.gmx.net> wrote in message news:f2f58g$2jv4$1@news.grc.com... > http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8758/Tomorrow+the+FBI+will+be+able+to+wiretap+all+internet+users > > I can't see privacy here Shhhhhhh...the wires have ears. On Wednesday, Anonymous Bob ventured about what: > ObiWan wrote <in reference to> Tomorrow+the+FBI+will+be+able+to+wiretap+all+internet+users >> >> I ca...

geobutton.com geoup.com, geobytes.com networldmap.com?
Do these website have the potensial for privacy 'invasion'? If you just to be on the safe side want them in your host file (I did a DNS Zone Query): # Geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 radev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 devadmin.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 ra.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 new.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 comdev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 buttondev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 mail.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 www.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 image.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 dev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 button.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 map.geoup.com # Geoup.com ...

anyone tell me how i can do this,when i enter www.domainname.com/username in address bar it will execute in server as www.domainname.com/home.aspx/username
anyone tell me how i can do this www.domainname.com/username will execute in server as www.domainname.com/home.aspx/username use the Server.Transfer() method it will keep in the URL www.yoursite/username but redirect your user to the one you chose...

Ipac anyone familiar with it?
There is an IPac palm system here that seems to have a special software on it, unfortunately im not familiar with Ipac systems, any helpful information to get some data off the device would be appreciated. ...

FlashGet... Anyone familiar with it?
Can anyone familiar with FashGet ver1.9.2 help me get it under control? Their help files are " ...designed to be as intuitive and user-friendly as possible. A few glances here and there over this help file will allow you to sort out the more detailed aspects of operation, and of course everything in between. " But of course they aren't. And their help forum has all these people begging for help but few seem to be able to answer any questions.. Backgrounder .... The Manx Radio Website uses a specific way to link to their weekly radio offerings. Note: there are ...

Anyone familiar with gSOAP?
I am trying to figure out how you are expected to create a SOAP Array? Ie, I can get it to work by fiddling pointers (C/C++) but there must be a better way.. Ie gSOAP has created classes from my wsdl where I have a struct of Employee called Employees. I don't know anything about gSOAP, but I use Dial soap every morning to bath with and some other kind of soap to wash my hands. >I am trying to figure out how you are expected to create a SOAP Array? Ummm... I use a combination of soap on a rope and those upside-down with a hook in the bottom gel bottles. The eff...

Anyone familiar with Computerease
I ran across a construction software package called "Computerease" which promises a 32bit application with all windows functions. Apparently it is not all it is cracked up to be. I would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has any experience with it. http://www.construction-software.com/ I'll watch the ng or, if you prefer, my addy is good. Thanks, Bear ~~~~~ Hell hath no fury like the lawyer of a woman scorned. ...

Anyone familiar with SPOOFSTICK?
Thoughts? http://www.corestreet.com/spoofstick/index.html In news:c7p18k$gv1$1@news.grc.com, John Lucifer Jones <johnluciferjones@yahoo.com> typed: > Thoughts? > > http://www.corestreet.com/spoofstick/index.html Yes...I use it here for about 3 weeks. It puts a small tool bar on IE. No matter how bizarre a URL is, it will tell you where you really are. Eddie in Colorado Springs "Relish today...Ketchup tomorrow." John Lucifer Jones wrote: > Thoughts? > > http://www.corestreet.com/spoofstick/index.html > > I've been u...

Anyone familiar with DynamicControlsPlaceHolder?
I have been sufferring from a recrurring problem with the DynamicControlsPlaceHolder and was hoping someone here was knowledgable on this custom control. I'm trying to dynamically create a column of textboxes and 2 columns of radiobuttonlists. My difficulty is I can create and retrieve the values of the textboxes, but the radiobuttonlists aren't playing nicely. The rbl's generate on the page fine, but I cannot retrieve their values. In fact, this error is thrown when the form is submitted: [error] Failed to load viewstate. The control tree into which viewstate is being loaded...

Anyone familiar with KaZaa?
This piece of $hit is all over some of our computers at work. I attempted to delete the program, but conveniently, its not in the add/remove programs list. This is on NT 4 Workstations with SP 4, 5, and 6. Ive looked around for some kind of utility to do this completely and painlessly, but no luck. What if I was to just find all instances of it in the registry and delete it? (after a back up of course) Steve "Steve Sprague" <eaegis@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message news:9umkes$27d3$1@news.grc.com... > This piece of $hit is all over some of our computers at w...

YourPay COM anyone?
Hi, does anyone have experience working with Yourpay.com COM object API from PB? I've deadline to make and would like to save the research time ;-) Any advice will be appreciated ! Rgrds rafael ...

Anyone familiar with ADrive?
http://www.adrive.com/ http://www.adrive.com/personal_basic The 50G for free is tempting. I'm wondering if there's a catch. -- Mark Warner MEPIS Linux Registered Linux User #415318 ....lose .inhibitions when replying On 09/14/12 19:04, Mark Warner wrote: > > http://www.adrive.com/ > > http://www.adrive.com/personal_basic > > The 50G for free is tempting. I'm wondering if there's a catch. > Tempting indeed! Especially interesting is this: "Access your FTP with any FTP client. You can also use FTP/SSL (not SFTP), to access...

Web resources about - Anyone familiar with STUMBLEUPON.COM? - grc.privacy

Explore more. Web pages, photos, and videos - StumbleUpon.com
Skip to Main Content Skip to Site Navigation Skip to Section Navigation StumbleUpon Already a member? Sign in Hi. We're StumbleUpon. We help ...

StumbleUpon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
StumbleUpon is a discovery engine (a form of web search engine ) that finds and recommends web content to its users. Its features allow users ...

Andrew's Likes – Page 1 - StumbleUpon.com
If you want to know anything about me just ask! I love getting message so what's stopping you?

Dan's Likes – Page 1 - StumbleUpon.com
... page. Settings Settings Home Sign in 0 All Interests Learn more Skip to Main Content Skip to Site Navigation Skip to Section Navigation StumbleUpon ...

Julie's Likes - StumbleUpon.com
I am a journalist and blogger. I run the Microsoft Subnet, Cisco Subnet and Google Subnet websites and write the Microsoft Subnet blog. Twitter: ...

Rob's Likes - StumbleUpon.com
I am a software developer who loves sports, technology and martial arts. I run two sites currently, http://www.sportsgeekonline.com/ and htt ...

tamar's Likes - StumbleUpon.com
I'm a female blogger and tech enthusiast and I love photography. I enjoy social media very much, and I blog about it at techipedia.com. You may ...

topcss's Likes - StumbleUpon.com
CSS Inspiration, CSS Gallery, Most frequently...

StumbleUpon Video
StumbleUpon Video finds the best video on the web, recommended just for you.

StumbleUpon Upgrades App For Facebook Timeline
StumbleUpon became the latest application to stumble upon Facebook’s timeline and upgrade to take advantage of its capabilities. continued… ...