TIA
0
caballo
2/15/2003 2:30:00 PM
grc.privacy 4590 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"caballo loco" <justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> wrote:
> Has anyone heard of or used this?  http://www.access-4-free.com/
>
> Any privacy or spyware issues?

I read the FAQs and Privacy sections, seems OK. But I do wonder how
they can supply a No Ads and No Banners service for free (10 hours
per month free and $1/hr after that).

Apparently they are part of Hawk Communications, a free/low cost
provider. Google pointed me to http://www.freedomlist.com/ which has
a looooooong thread in their forum on these guys relating to billing
problems and lack of response to email, etc.

--
mr.noway
0
> "caballo loco" <justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> wrote:
> > Has anyone heard of or used this?  http://www.access-4-free.com/
> >
> > Any privacy or spyware issues?
>
> I read the FAQs and Privacy sections, seems OK. But I do wonder how
> they can supply a No Ads and No Banners service for free (10 hours
> per month free and $1/hr after that).

Their business model probably expects enough conversions from the free
plan to the paid monthly plan to offset the cost. Not much different
than the free vs pro versions of various software apps.

Don
0
Don
2/15/2003 5:04:00 PM
On 15-Feb-2003, mr.noway <notme@nowhere.org> wrote:

> I read the FAQs and Privacy sections, seems OK.

I agree.

> But I do wonder how
> they can supply a No Ads and No Banners service for free (10 hours
> per month free and $1/hr after that).

Maybe the $5 per call telephone support?
Their reasoning: http://www.access-4-free.com/whyfree.htm

> Apparently they are part of Hawk Communications, a free/low cost
> provider. Google pointed me to http://www.freedomlist.com/ which has
> a looooooong thread in their forum on these guys relating to billing
> problems and lack of response to email, etc.

Hawk Communications hosts www.freedomlist.com! I did not see even a short
thread about these guys. Are you saying "access4less" and "access4cheap" are
the same company as "access-4-free"? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
I know someone who is interested so I will be watching this thread.

SS
0
sunshinesue
2/15/2003 5:10:00 PM
sunshinesue@bebopaloo.com wrote:
> Hawk Communications hosts www.freedomlist.com! I did not see even a short
> thread about these guys. Are you saying "access4less" and "access4cheap" are
> the same company as "access-4-free"? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
> I know someone who is interested so I will be watching this thread.

http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/comment.php?plan=908&action=read

That's the thread I mentioned, check it out :)

--
mr.noway
0

This would probably eliminate all the problems those poor souls are
having<S>.

I did see somewhere in that thread....or elsewhere...something about no
newsgroups available?

So I guess this means different ISPs have different newsgroups?  If this is
the case I didn't know it.  I thought newsgroups were just "there", you go
to whichever ones you want regardless of the ISP you use....Wrong?

"mr.noway" <notme@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> sunshinesue@bebopaloo.com wrote:
> > Hawk Communications hosts www.freedomlist.com! I did not see even a
short
> > thread about these guys. Are you saying "access4less" and "access4cheap"
are
> > the same company as "access-4-free"? I don't think so, but I could be
wrong.
> > I know someone who is interested so I will be watching this thread.
>
> http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/comment.php?plan=908&action=read
>
> That's the thread I mentioned, check it out :)
>
> --
> mr.noway

0
caballo
2/15/2003 6:15:00 PM
Yep...some ISP block download selected NG!!!BTW, nothing is FREE in this life, take it with care. Remember, how to fishing???This is
all just my own opinion & experiences. We know in Internet we will see White- | Grey- | Black- Hat comunity.<<<G>>> I choose the
RedHat one ;-)
--
Regard:
Joh@nnes

"caballo loco" <justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> wrote in message news:b2m05d$2mcs$1@news.grc.com...
<<<SNIP>>>
0
Johannes
2/15/2003 7:20:00 PM
"caballo loco" <justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> wrote:
<snip>

>I did see somewhere in that thread....or elsewhere...something about no
>newsgroups available?
>
>So I guess this means different ISPs have different newsgroups?  If this is
>the case I didn't know it.  I thought newsgroups were just "there", you go
>to whichever ones you want regardless of the ISP you use....Wrong?

It would mean that particular ISP doesn't have a newsgroup server that
keeps updated with newsgroups.  You would have to go directly to a
server that does - - - just like you go to the grc newsgroups because
they are not carried by your ISP.

news.grc.com is one newsgroup (and private as well).

news.yourISP.com (or .net) for a usenet newsgroup server hosted by
your ISP.

newscache0.freenet.de for an example of a non-ISP related news server.

TomT
0
TomT
2/15/2003 7:42:00 PM
"caballo loco" <justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> wrote:
<snip>

>So I guess this means different ISPs have different newsgroups?  If this is
>the case I didn't know it.  I thought newsgroups were just "there", you go
>to whichever ones you want regardless of the ISP you use....Wrong?

I didn't quite answer your question.  Different ISPs may or may not
have a server that keeps up with what I'll call (for lack of
acknowledge) "newsgroup central".

Whether your ISP has a news server or not, you may point your
newsreader to any server you want (just like you're pointing to
grc.news now).  Of course, to access a server belonging to an ISP
usually requires a UserID and password.  You're not likely to have
that information for an ISP you don't belong to.

There are also many news servers that are independent of an ISP.
Google will turn up a bunch of websites that try to keep up with the
various news servers, how many news groups they have, whether you can
post or not, etc.

HTH.

TomT
0
TomT
2/15/2003 7:57:00 PM
Sooooooo......

> Whether your ISP has a news server or not, you may point your
> newsreader to any server you want (just like you're pointing to
> grc.news now).

A brief quote from OE Help on newsgrous: "To use newsgroups in Outlook
Express, your Internet service provider must offer links to one or more news
servers. "

So I take it if I "merge" your statement above with this quote from OE Help
that I "may point...to any server..." IF my ISP offers a "link" to it?

And....

"Of course, to access a server belonging to an ISP
> usually requires a UserID and password"

This is where in Tools/Accounts/News?Properties/Servers "This server
requires me to log on" would have to be checked?

Thanks for your help Tom.  You HAVE been quite helpful, even if my continued
questions don't seem to reflect it.

"TomT" <TomT@UnrealBox.com> wrote in message
> "caballo loco" <justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> >So I guess this means different ISPs have different newsgroups?  If this
is
> >the case I didn't know it.  I thought newsgroups were just "there", you
go
> >to whichever ones you want regardless of the ISP you use....Wrong?
> >
> I didn't quite answer your question.  Different ISPs may or may not
> have a server that keeps up with what I'll call (for lack of
> acknowledge) "newsgroup central".
>
> Whether your ISP has a news server or not, you may point your
> newsreader to any server you want (just like you're pointing to
> grc.news now).  Of course, to access a server belonging to an ISP
> usually requires a UserID and password.  You're not likely to have
> that information for an ISP you don't belong to.
>
> There are also many news servers that are independent of an ISP.
> Google will turn up a bunch of websites that try to keep up with the
> various news servers, how many news groups they have, whether you can
> post or not, etc.
>
> HTH.
>
> TomT
0
caballo
2/15/2003 8:37:00 PM
On 15-Feb-2003, mr.noway <notme@nowhere.org> wrote:

> http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/comment.php?plan=908&action=read
>
> That's the thread I mentioned, check it out :)
>
> --
> mr.noway

Thanks mr.noway. That's the one I was looking for. How could I miss it. Duh!
<G>
I think I'll tell our friend to just pay $15 a month for unlimited and go
with BellSouth dialup. BS has had pretty good connection speeds and minimal
problems in our area. And they won't have to pay $5.00 per call for help.
Although BS has not been known to be of much help...... but it's free!
0
sunshinesue
2/15/2003 9:13:00 PM
In message <b2m8hl$307q$1@news.grc.com>, caballo loco
<justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> writes
>A brief quote from OE Help on newsgrous: "To use newsgroups in Outlook
>Express, your Internet service provider must offer links to one or more news
>servers. "
>
>So I take it if I "merge" your statement above with this quote from OE Help
>that I "may point...to any server..." IF my ISP offers a "link" to it?

OE Help doesn't really [help] in that case. Your ISP only needs to give
you a connection to the internet. You can point your newsreader to any
server that allows access. Most ISP provided servers will only let you
login if you're actually connected through that ISP. But many servers
(grc.com is an example) will let you connect from anywhere. Perhaps with
other restrictions. For Usenet I use a free server in Germany that
requires a pre-approved login, and has rules regarding how and what I
can post.

http://www.news.cis.dfn.de/

You can find lists of free servers here:
http://www.newzbot.com/

Or more lists of lists here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22free+news+server%22

>And....
> "Of course, to access a server belonging to an ISP  usually requires a
>UserID and password"
>
>This is where in Tools/Accounts/News?Properties/Servers "This server
>requires me to log on" would have to be checked?

Depends. Some actually require an authenticated login, so the above
would apply. Others verify that your connection to the internet is via
their servers. And remote servers could require a login like
news.cis.dfn.de does, or not, like grc.com. Although with grc.com you
_can_ use a login, which on this (and only this) server generates a
Cecil-ID. http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm

More or less confused now? :)

HTH
--
 From invalid, Reply To works.
Kevin A.
> More or less confused now? :)

Yes<S>

"Kevin A." <klex49@myrealbox.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In message <b2m8hl$307q$1@news.grc.com>, caballo loco
> <justahorse@notemail.notmsn.notcom> writes
> >A brief quote from OE Help on newsgrous: "To use newsgroups in Outlook
> >Express, your Internet service provider must offer links to one or more
news
> >servers. "
> >
> >So I take it if I "merge" your statement above with this quote from OE
Help
> >that I "may point...to any server..." IF my ISP offers a "link" to it?
>
> OE Help doesn't really [help] in that case. Your ISP only needs to give
> you a connection to the internet. You can point your newsreader to any
> server that allows access. Most ISP provided servers will only let you
> login if you're actually connected through that ISP. But many servers
> (grc.com is an example) will let you connect from anywhere. Perhaps with
> other restrictions. For Usenet I use a free server in Germany that
> requires a pre-approved login, and has rules regarding how and what I
> can post.
>
> http://www.news.cis.dfn.de/
>
> You can find lists of free servers here:
> http://www.newzbot.com/
>
> Or more lists of lists here:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22free+news+server%22
>
> >And....
> > "Of course, to access a server belonging to an ISP  usually requires a
> >UserID and password"
> >
> >This is where in Tools/Accounts/News?Properties/Servers "This server
> >requires me to log on" would have to be checked?
>

> Depends. Some actually require an authenticated login, so the above
> would apply. Others verify that your connection to the internet is via
> their servers. And remote servers could require a login like
> news.cis.dfn.de does, or not, like grc.com. Although with grc.com you
> _can_ use a login, which on this (and only this) server generates a
> Cecil-ID. http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm
>
> More or less confused now? :)
>
> HTH
> --
>  From invalid, Reply To works.
> Kevin A.
0
caballo
2/15/2003 9:18:00 PM
> Has anyone heard of or used this?  http://www.access-4-free.com/
>
> Any privacy or spyware issues?
>
> TIA

None that I know of.  I use it all the time.  Also use NetZero and
www.freedialnow.com with 15 free hours a month for a small
signup fee.  No software required.  Great for backup.  If you
need more time, www.access4less.net is only $5.95 a month.
Same service as access-4-free.
Tom
0
Tom
2/16/2003 11:56:00 AM
There are some old axioms about such things that are advertised as "free":
Caveat Emptor.
Thou gettest for what thou payest.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, except for those lunches paid for
by our tax money.
Etc., Ad Infinitum.

Thank You,

James