'Entropy', a "net inside the net" ?

Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy) :

Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the
internet) for its users. This software can be used both by *nix- and
Windows-users.

Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here:
http://entropy.stop1984.com/

--
Ninho
0

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:03:30 +0200, in grc.linkfarm,grc.privacy, Ninho
wrote:

> Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy) :
>
> Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the
> internet) for its users. This software can be used both by *nix- and
> Windows-users.
>
> Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here:
> http://entropy.stop1984.com/

It seems to be a project going along the purposes of Free Haven
(http://freehaven.net/) and Freenet (http://freenetproject.org/).
Are you using Entropy? Do you rely on it? I apologize now if this question
is going too much into your personal/professional life, so please don't
take it personnaly, I'm not trying to pry into your personal life, just to
see if you have gone past the usual small annoyances that one experiences
with new software. Do you know if there any independent tests that can
assert that Entropy has already achieved a 'decent" level of anonymity, in
a reliable, constant way?
From http://entropy.stop1984.com/en/home.html:
<quote>
"(...)The contents is stored in a distributed manner across all available
and reachable nodes and no one can find out about who put up what contents
into the network [ 1 ].(...)
[1] This is only true if the network has reached a sufficient size and if
there is enough traffic to hide the source and destination of specific
packets travelling the network. Only then it will be impossible to guess
the source of data from log files."
</quote>
I went through their forum at http://f27.parsimony.net/forum66166/, but
some of the posts are written in German and Google's translations are not
very good.
Someone posted this
(http://f27.parsimony.net/forum66166/messages/7148.htm):
<quote>
Hi~ I am just starting to use ENTROPY. But I found that the author won't
maintain this software anymore.(...)
</quote>
From http://entropy.stop1984.com/en/downloads.html, one can see that the
latest versions report to 2005. Nothing wrong with this, if the code is not
subject to programming errors and if there are no exploits to it.
Assuming that the number of posts in their forum somehow reflects the
installed user base, it seems to hint that Entropy's own requirements for
'true' anonymity have not been achieved.

Best wishes.
--
on 2007-09-12 14:53:11, PT time
plain ole me,

>> Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here:
>> http://entropy.stop1984.com/

> It seems to be a project going along the purposes of Free Haven
> (http://freehaven.net/) and Freenet (http://freenetproject.org/).
> Are you using Entropy?  ...

Not. I saw it mentionned at a forum in TOR-land with no details or comments.
After reading the projrct's presentation pages, I thought I'd pass the info
to the grc news community and ask for further opinions here.

/snip/

> Someone posted this
> (http://f27.parsimony.net/forum66166/messages/7148.htm):
> <quote>
> Hi~ I am just starting to use ENTROPY. But I found that the author won't
> maintain this software anymore.(...)
> </quote>
> From http://entropy.stop1984.com/en/downloads.html, one can see that the
> latest versions report to 2005. Nothing wrong with this, if the code is
> not subject to programming errors and if there are no exploits to it.
> Assuming that the number of posts in their forum somehow reflects the
> installed user base, it seems to hint that Entropy's own requirements for
> 'true' anonymity have not been achieved.

Oh. One more potentially interesting project failing to deliver for lack of
sufficient momentum and general awareness. A pity ! Let's hope it is asleep
rather than dead altogether.

Thank you for the pointer to forum.

--
Ninho
0
Ninho wrote:
> Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy) :
>
> Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the
> internet) for its users. This software can be used both by *nix- and
> Windows-users.
>
> Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here:
> http://entropy.stop1984.com/

Interesting! - Especially given the increasing pressure on TOR endpoints
in some EU locations (e.g. Germany).

FWICT, it is a faster, C implementation of freenet. I'm ....guessing....
that freenet has won the p2p anonymity design competition - beating out
ants, and others!? I tried freenet 3 years ago and found it slow; surely
it has improved.

Another alternative would be I2P - which seems contemporary and quick;
but I don't know how its design would compare, in terms  of security,
with freenet/entropy!?   hopefully someone who knows something will
chime in.

0
Roger
9/12/2007 5:41:40 PM
>> From http://entropy.stop1984.com/en/downloads.html, one can see that the
>> latest versions report to 2005. Nothing wrong with this, if the code is
>> not subject to programming errors and if there are no exploits to it.
>> Assuming that the number of posts in their forum somehow reflects the
>> installed user base, it seems to hint that Entropy's own requirements for
>> 'true' anonymity have not been achieved.
>
> Oh. One more potentially interesting project failing to deliver for lack of
> sufficient momentum and general awareness. A pity ! Let's hope it is asleep
> rather than dead altogether.

Indeed!

As far as the user base is concerned, there might be hope..... Freenet
seems alive and well, and presumably Entropy is a transparent node on
Freenet?

However, Freenet is also implementing security tweaks as we speak -
which entropy is not. :-(
0
Roger
9/12/2007 6:05:13 PM
"Ninho" <don't.use.this!@example.net> wrote in message

> Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy)
> :
>
> Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the
> internet) for its users. This software can be used both by *nix- and
> Windows-users.
>
> Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here:
> http://entropy.stop1984.com/
> --
> Ninho

Sounds very similar to the original InterNet's design,
a design that allowed for each connected unit to become
an integral part of the InterNet and not just ISP's.

I suppose turning the 0 to 1 in registry key allowing
redirection and passthroughs for local network cards
and possibly enabling the alternate MS protocol stack
instead of legacy one we are using currently (all right
there on 2k/XP standard Windows installation) available
with a few registry tweaks and a bit of manual host
file ip inclusions. Although enabling alternate protocols
can cut off most of public internet and make it very
difficult for others to find your computer in a domain.
There never was much actual interest in this at the
time...but times are changing and so are IPv standards.

NT Canuck
'Seek and ye shall find'

0
NT
9/12/2007 7:40:01 PM
"NT Canuck" <optional_ntcanuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hey, NT, good to e-see you!!  What have you been doing?

Follow-ups set to grc.test.

--
Robert
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets

0
Robert
9/12/2007 8:09:42 PM
"Ninho" <don't.use.this!@example.net> wrote in message news:fc8dhn$1lmq$1@news.grc.com...
> Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy) :
>
> Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the
> internet) for its users. This software can be used both by *nix- and
> Windows-users.
>
> Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here:
> http://entropy.stop1984.com/

Yes and no to "old news."
Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP

and then consider that every computer has the ability to communicate between,
65535 different ports:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

and just about anything is possible.

;-)

--

Steve
95isalive

0
95isalive
9/13/2007 10:15:49 PM
"Ninho" <don't.use.this!@example.net> wrote in message news:fc8dhn$1lmq$1@news.grc.com...
> Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy) :
>
> Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the
> internet) for its users. This software can be used both by *nix- and
> Windows-users.
>
> Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here:
> http://entropy.stop1984.com/

Yes and no to "old news."
Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP

and then consider that every computer has the ability to communicate between,
65535 different ports:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

and just about anything is possible.

;-)

--

Steve
95isalive

0
95isalive
9/14/2007 5:51:58 PM
Hello, glad to e-see you !

95isalive a �crit :
>> Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the
>> internet) for its users.

> Yes and no to "old news."
> Read this:> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP
>
> and then consider that every computer has the ability to communicate between,
> 65535 different ports:> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

Uh, I fail to see the connection (pun intended). AIUI from the summary
<http://entropy.stop1984.com/en/entropy.html>, Entropy aims at
distributing encrypted chunks of documents among a number of hosts and
with added redundancy. Looks like this operates mostly at higher than
the transport layer, e.g. TCP or UDP . Surely I overlooked something
from their description. Or maybe you'll be willing to clarify what you
mean while dispensing with pointers to wikipedia entries which are
certainly too general to be of use in understanding the point you want
to make ...

> and just about anything is possible.

Cheers,

--
Ninho
0
"Ninho" <don't.use.this!@example.com> wrote in message news:46EAE9F7.36D22268@example.com...
> Hello, glad to e-see you !
> Uh, I fail to see the connection (pun intended). AIUI from the summary
> <http://entropy.stop1984.com/en/entropy.html>, Entropy aims at
> distributing encrypted chunks of documents among a number of hosts and
> with added redundancy. Looks like this operates mostly at higher than
> the transport layer, e.g. TCP or UDP . Surely I overlooked something
> from their description. Or maybe you'll be willing to clarify what you
> mean while dispensing with pointers to wikipedia entries which are
> certainly too general to be of use in understanding the point you want
> to make ...

My point is that just about any capable programmer can create a P2P
program that (s)he and another can use to communicate privately with each
other using any of the "non-standard" ports on their machines.

--

Steve
95isalive

0
95isalive
9/15/2007 5:20:29 PM
95isalive wrote:

> My point is that just about any capable programmer can create a P2P
> program that (s)he and another can use to communicate privately with each
> other using any of the "non-standard" ports on their machines.

Oh, well, now I see what you mean. Keep in mind the devil often hides in the
details! While "just about any capable programmer"... perhaps, could have
designed a similar protocol and programmed it, doesn't seem to me a reason
for dissing this particular system;  even less, for shooting the
messenger ;=)

--
Ninho
0

"The name 'sizes' does not exist in the namespace 'ASP.NET.StarterKit.Commerce.ShoppingCart'"
I am having the following error when I build: "The name 'sizes' does not exist in the namespace 'ASP.NET.StarterKit.Commerce.ShoppingCart'" Not sure what I need to do to fix it. I added a collum to the shopping cart and now the Update and Remove do not work. I have made the adjustments in my Stored Procedures and in the ShoppingCartDB, both in the UpdateItem and RemoveItem areas. Not sure how to fix this one. Please help. Here is the code behind for the shopping cart page. namespace ASPNET.StarterKit.Commerce { public class ShoppingCart : System.Web.UI.Page { protec...

ASP.Net 2.0
Good Day ! Need a your help here. I am quite new to web development and i have tried the following example from RSS Feed for How do I? Video Series-Localization as link below. http://www.asp.net/Rss.ashx?mid=3003 The demo is showing 2 resource files name 'resource.resx' and 'resource.fr.resx'. I triey to make a localization in Chinese so that i add another file named 'resource.zh.resx'. Once i compiled i found the error -"The namespace 'Resource' arlready contains a definition for 'Resource'". So that i rename it to 'resource.ms.resx', it's Alright ! It seems like there is som...

Cann't add the reference ' System.Web.UI' from ".NET"
Cann't add the reference ' System.Web.UI' from ".NET",and i can n't find the file "System.web.UI.dll" from the "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework",so anyone can help me solve it thanks there is a no-footbird.the wind is its nest.it never stops flying until it dies... System.Web.UI is namespace, not an assembly. Add "System.Web.dll" and that will include System.Web.UI.Cheers,       Kevin JonesMy Blog Is your project a web project? To me, it looks like missing system.web.dll in your reference I think you need to reference system.web in the References...

"Clear recent history" doesn't clear Temporary I'net Files"
Name: Peter Knight Email: petergkatsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: "Clear recent history" doesn't clear Temporary I'net Files" Comments: "Clear recent history", even with all options checked still leaves files in "Temporary Internet Files" and sometimes items in "History / Today" Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you w...

Can't get away from: "Could not open in Design View. Quote values differently inside a '<% ... "value" ... %>' block."
I keep getting this error message when I try to switch to design view. This is the code that is causing it. OnClick="javascript:void(0);ToggleRowDisplay(this,'row<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Equipment_ID") %>');" When I take out this section I can go into design view without a problem. Any ideas?? is the word row has to be there?mess with the best...die like the rest...

" Cannot find the script or external object that implements prefix 'fn' " error when I use "fn" prefix in xslt and I call it with ASP.NET.2.0
Hi, I’m trying to display the contents of an xml file using an xslt file. I’m using ASP.NET.2.0 and the xsltCompiledTransform method in order to achieve the transformation. Everything works fine when I don’t have xPath functions in my xslt but when I declare the namespace ‘xmlns:fn=http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-functions' and I use Xpath functions in my xslt file, it comes up with the following error message : ‘Cannot find the script or external object that implements prefix 'fn'. Just to mention I use VB as a scripting language in my ASP page. Could anyone please tell me w...

Replace(txt,"'","''") in code-behind
i'm creating a file named client.vb using my wordpad. I'm using this as a code-behind sort of thing. The problem is I want to remove the ' from my strings so that i can put them in SQL statements. The Replace doesn't work, is there any other way to this. thanks. Can you show me the code sample you have for the string.Replace() method? That should work for you. You should instead use Sql Parameters to compile and send your query to the db. One of the many benefits of doing so is that you don't need to worry about the single quotes.-- daver True. However, I'd like to know why you are ha...

"Type 'SessionTrackerDB' is not defined" in VS.NET
Hi, just got VS.NET and open my DNN 1.0.10d in it. On rebuild, I get the following error message "Type 'SessionTrackerDB' is not defined". Any hint on what is wrong ? Thanks JohannWebsite - Weblog SessionTrackerDB file isn't included in the Components Folder as part of the project in DNN1.0.10d so you will get this error since that file is part of the UsersOnline core adjustmentBoss De Planes, De Planes...

"Could not open in Design View. Quote values differently inside a '<% ... "value" ... %>' block."
asp.net 1.1 vs.net 2003 i am working on someone else's asp.net project ... (and not sure under what conditions it was created) for many of the .aspx pages , when i attempt to view in "design" mode, i receive message "Could not open in Design View. Quote values differently inside a '<% ... "value" ... %>' block." what could be going on? Typically this happens when you have double quotes inside double quotes. Try to use double quotes outside and single quotes inside. Also, if you have <% %> as an attribute value, try to enclose it in...

"Server Error in '/' Application" in .net 2.0
I have a working application which suddenly stopped working with the message: "Server Error in '/' Application. The resource cannot be found" I use asp.net 2.0 and work with a file-system web (no IIS for now). My office runs the security updates on the network from time to time, and my guess is: this is the culprit. The app still works on my laptop. I did run aspnet_regiis. Just in case, although I did not expect it to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. More detail about the error message, please. When it says "Resource cannot be found" is it talking about your defaul...

.NET Error Message "Server Error in '/' Application."
I continue to get this error message randomly for several .NET applications and I'm trying to determine if this issue is "Permissions" or "Application Configuration" related.  What are the necessary NTFS security groups and rights that should be applied to the file directories?  Or what is the resolution to resolving this complex problem? HELP! moblack29   The first step is posting the full error message. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

"use encoding 'utf8'" breaks Net::LDAP
Graham Barr wrote: > I find this very odd. The encoding pragma is not supposed to change how > perl treats anything other than the sctual script in the file that the > pragma is in. It allows you to write in any encoding and perl will > translate that to utf8 when it parses the script. > > Maybe the pragma is doingmore than it should Oh no! "encoding" pragma does much more than just indicating the encoding of a script. Here is the quote: The encoding pragma also modifies the filehandle layers of STDIN and STDOUT to the specified encoding. By de...

Button events that aren't the "Next", "Back", "Finish" buttons on the ASP.NET Wizard control
Hi everyone  I've got a ASP.NET wizard in my project with 4 "TemplateWizardSteps" inside of it. On one of my steps, there is a button and a datagrid that does a search and populates the grid. The problem I'm having is I have no idea how to handle my custom button event.  I've tried addhandler on the button as such:  AddHandler CType(twsImportPageTwo.ContentTemplateContainer.FindControl("btnSearch"), Button).Click, AddressOf btnSearch_Click   The line runs fine, but the event doesn't fire when I click the button on the step.  ...

ASP.Net 2.0 "Server Error in '/' Application"
I'm working on a website with ASP.NET 2.0. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and site is working properly when I run the project from Visual Studio 2005. However, when I want to run this site by writing http://localhost/ProjDir/default.aspx to Internet Explorer address bar, IIS give "Server Error in '/' Application" error. And in the details give that: The file '/MasterPage.master' does not exist Is there any one who help me to solve this problem. Thanx for your support... I hate to state the obvious but it seems that the application cannot find your MasterPage file. Are you programatica...

Web resources about - 'Entropy', a "net inside the net" ? - grc.privacy