SN #3 - www.grc.com/net/net.htm

Steve,

At about 6 min 20 secs left of the full broadcast, you mentioned
www.grc.com/net/net.htm. Putting it into my browser gave me a 404 Page
not found.

Just thought I should mention it.

--
Jaap
0

Jaap said in:<news:df997m$6qf$1@news.grc.com>:
> Steve,
>
> At about 6 min 20 secs left of the full broadcast, you mentioned
> www.grc.com/net/net.htm. Putting it into my browser gave me a 404 Page
> not found.
>
> Just thought I should mention it.

He's meant to be saying www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm :-

,------------ [quote]
  So one trick that I have never seen anywhere is you can actually use
  two NAT routers.  You're able to put NAT routers in series.
  So that, for example, you'd have an external NAT router and an
  internal NAT router.  And you might want to put this link on the
  show notes.  It's www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm.  I've put together a page
  where I've drawn some diagrams to make this a little more
  clear and explained it carefully because it's a very cool idea.  The
  idea is that you could put your game server on the external
  NAT, on the NAT that's connected to the Internet.  And then, rather
  than putting the rest of your computers on the same NAT
  router, put them on their own NAT router and then hook that second
  NAT router to the first one, essentially in series.
'-------- [end quote]

But I've only read it, not heard it, so I don't know how clear that
comes across in audio.
--

Milly
0
Milly said in:<news:1iyi7tta1w0m1$.dlg@0O.0O>:
> Jaap said in:<news:df997m$6qf$1@news.grc.com>:
>> At about 6 min 20 secs left of the full broadcast, you mentioned
>> www.grc.com/net/net.htm. Putting it into my browser gave me a 404 Page
>> not found.
>>
>> Just thought I should mention it.
>
> He's meant to be saying www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm :-
>
> ,------------ [quote]
>   So one trick that I have never seen anywhere is you can actually use
>   two NAT routers.  You're able to put NAT routers in series.
>   So that, for example, you'd have an external NAT router and an
>   internal NAT router.  And you might want to put this link on the
>   show notes.  It's www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm.  [...]
> '-------- [end quote]
>
> But I've only read it, not heard it, so I don't know how clear that
> comes across in audio.

It seems pretty clear to me, in the low-quality version (of course I
was by then expecting "nat", not anything else, which might be a
perception factor).

Time for new speakers, Jaap? ;)

That's quite a page ( www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm ), btw!

When Google catches up, you might find GRC becomes the top result
for NAT routers. Oh, hang on, you already are ;)  :-

http://www.google.com/search?q=NAT+router

Hmm. What with preparation; research (okay, NATs you already knew
backwards, but for some other topics); writing a cool page;
recording; post-production - every week: how are you going to find
time to do much else?
--

Milly
0
> Milly said in:<news:1iyi7tta1w0m1$.dlg@0O.0O>:
> > Jaap said in:<news:df997m$6qf$1@news.grc.com>:
> >> At about 6 min 20 secs left of the full broadcast, you mentioned
[QED]

> > He's meant to be saying www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm :-
> >
> > ,------------ [quote]
> >   So one trick that I have never seen anywhere is you can actually use
> >   two NAT routers.  You're able to put NAT routers in series.
> >   So that, for example, you'd have an external NAT router and an
> >   internal NAT router.  And you might want to put this link on the
> >   show notes.  It's www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm.  [...]
> > '-------- [end quote]
> >
> > But I've only read it, not heard it, so I don't know how clear that
> > comes across in audio.
>
> It seems pretty clear to me, in the low-quality version (of course I
> was by then expecting "nat", not anything else, which might be a
> perception factor).
>
> Time for new speakers, Jaap? ;)

Maybe I need a new pair of ears<G>

Now that I know what is should be, it sure sound like NAT!!

> That's quite a page ( www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm ), btw!

Sure is!

> When Google catches up, you might find GRC becomes the top result
> for NAT routers. Oh, hang on, you already are ;)  :-
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=NAT+router
>
> Hmm. What with preparation; research (okay, NATs you already knew
> backwards, but for some other topics); writing a cool page;
> recording; post-production - every week: how are you going to find
> time to do much else?

He will find the time - as he always does<EG>!!

--
Jaap
0
In article <q8zc38ve87c$.dlg@0O.0O> Milly wrote:

> That's quite a page ( www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm ), btw!
>
> When Google catches up, you might find GRC becomes the top result
> for NAT routers. Oh, hang on, you already are ;)  :-
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=NAT+router
>
> Hmm. What with preparation; research (okay, NATs you already knew
> backwards, but for some other topics); writing a cool page;
> recording; post-production - every week: how are you going to find
> time to do much else?

It certainly looks like a lot of work.  OTOH, Steve's love of doing
this kind of thing is second only to his love of programming. :)

--
Alan
The universal principle of energy:

> That's quite a page ( www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm ), btw!

Whew.  Indeed.

> When Google catches up, you might find GRC becomes the
> top result for NAT routers. Oh, hang on, you already are ;)  :-
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=NAT+router

<<grin>>

As we know, it's content that I have been wanting to get down
and "on page" for quite a while.  It does no one any good for
it to be rattling around in my head.  So my decision to tackle
the topic yesterday was the impetus I needed.

> Hmm. What with preparation; research (okay, NATs you already
> knew backwards, but for some other topics); writing a cool
> page; recording; post-production - every week: how are you
> going to find time to do much else?

That one burned the entire day. Working on it was all I did from
sun up to just before calling it a day.  But it's done now and
the feedback we're getting is overwhelmingly positive.  So I'm
glad for it.

This one took much more time than usual.  Typically it's a hour
with Leo. Assembling the Security Now! page took a day too last
week, but that's done now too, and give all of the forthcoming
work a place to live.  So it was needed as well.

Also, I will be able to "re-leverage" this work several times.
Since I've been planning this for a long time, I already have
several video clips recorded but not yet posted talking about
how NAT routers work and why they are natural firewalls.  I'll
be back up in Toronto in two weeks to record another four TechTV
segments, and one will be why two NAT routers can be better than
one.  So that will also be able to "re-leverage" all of the
other work.

The weekly commitment *IS* a strain, and to some degree it will
retard other work.  But it won't usually cost me a day --
typically very much less -- and when it does force me to
research a new area, that's good for me as well.  But mostly I
think it's going to be a good thing.

GRC suffers from going for LONG stretches of many (many) months
without anything apparently happening on the surface.  This will
serve to keep things hopping ... and it really feels like I'm
building up a significant new form of asset.  I'm VERY glad that
Leo's willing to do this.

Steve.
0
Steve
9/2/2005 4:23:09 PM
[for the unabridged version, see hermital's post above]

> > Hmm. What with preparation; research (okay, NATs you already
> > knew backwards, but for some other topics); writing a cool
> > page; recording; post-production - every week: how are you
> > going to find time to do much else?
>
> It certainly looks like a lot of work.  OTOH, Steve's love of
> doing this kind of thing is second only to his love of
> programming. :)

I do enjoy 'splaining stuff and making opaque topics clear. I
really do enjoy that.  And as I wrote in reply to Milly, while
this will take a varying amount of time every week, my plan is
to have it "mesh in" with other events on the site, and with
my ongoing TechTV appearances.

And ... this will tend to bring GRC much more alive and solve
the problem of GRC appearing to go stagnant for long periods
of time.

Steve.
0
Steve
9/2/2005 4:27:10 PM
Steve Gibson wrote:
> [for the unabridged version, see hermital's post above]
>

> I do enjoy 'splaining stuff and making opaque topics clear. I
> really do enjoy that.  And as I wrote in reply to Milly, while
> this will take a varying amount of time every week, my plan is
> to have it "mesh in" with other events on the site, and with
> my ongoing TechTV appearances.
>
> And ... this will tend to bring GRC much more alive and solve
> the problem of GRC appearing to go stagnant for long periods
> of time.

Exactly what I was thinking this morning as I listened to the latest
Security Now while I worked. It should bring high and regular visibility
to your station in the world. Good show.
0
Book
9/2/2005 5:40:03 PM
Steve Gibson said in:<news:MPG.1d821c47aad7e98d239@4.79.142.203>:
> [for the unabridged version, see Milly <@.....>'s post above]
> [...]
>> Hmm. What with preparation; research (okay, NATs you already
>> knew backwards, but for some other topics); writing a cool
>> page; recording; post-production - every week: how are you
>> going to find time to do much else?
>
> [...]
> The weekly commitment *IS* a strain, and to some degree it will
> retard other work.  But it won't usually cost me a day --
> typically very much less -- and when it does force me to
> research a new area, that's good for me as well.  But mostly I
> think it's going to be a good thing.
>
> GRC suffers from going for LONG stretches of many (many) months
> without anything apparently happening on the surface.  This will
> serve to keep things hopping ... and it really feels like I'm
> building up a significant new form of asset.  I'm VERY glad that
> Leo's willing to do this.

I think so too.

Even more so when you've got the new web UI up and running, and a
readable/postable/searchable(/even googleable) 'copy' of the new
grc.securitynow group is presented below the feedback form. Why,
it'll be very much like a blog ... ;)
--

Milly
0

ASP.NET Futures installer won recognize .net 3.0 and .net 3.5 framework installed
I am trying to install the ASP.NET Futures (July) and it keeps telling me that .net 2.0 or .net 3.0 need to be installed.  I have all .net versions installed and they can be found in the c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework folder.  Can someone please help me?!!!!  I am running Windows Vista Ultimate MS Visual Studio 2005 Pro and 2008 Pro (RTM from MSDN) I am also having the same problem installing Expression Blend 2 (Dec Preview).  Seems .net installation is not being recognized.  Can someone tell me how to rectify this challenge. well try to re install t...

ASP.NET Extensions CTP and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1/.NET Framework 3.5 and vs2008 sp1?
Can someone explain the differences/relationships between asp.net extensions ctp, .net framework 3.5 sp1/.net framwork 3.5, and vs2008 sp1? I currently have a web app built with vs2008 RTM, .net framework 3.5 (no sp), and asp.net extensions ctp.  The system.web.extensions for framework 3.5 is version 3.5.0.0 and for .net extensions ctp it is 3.6.0.0.  Can I replace all web references with the ctp version 3.6?     CTP = Community Technology Preview; these are something like beta versions that are released so that they can be tested. these are generally...

COM .NET Interop
Hi, I need help here.. I have this problem.I have COM VB6 that call a .NET class library, and this class library use the .NET SAP Conector to extract the information from SAP. I receive the information from SAP in a DataTable, the problem here is that I dont how to return this DataTable to VB6 COM. I made a test, and I can return a String to COM and basic types, but I dont know how to do it with this DataTable.Thanks for your helpI really appreciate. One alternative might be to add the DataTable to a DataSet and then convert the DataSet to an XML string using WriteXml(). That said, quic...

Can I switch from .Net 3.5 to .Net 3
After finishing the website that I built in VS 2008 and has AjaxControlToolkit controls. I was informed by the network admin that the server has .Net 3 and that we can't install .Net 3.5. I tried to change the application settings from Property Page --> Build node, and then select .Net Framework 3.0 from Target Framework Dropdownlist, and then click OK BUT then I can't run my application I get error message and the     <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />   is unknown even when I try ...

.NET to COM question ( Dictionary in COM and .NET dictionary)
 I need to write a data access code to replace the method of GetPerson() in COM data access, since the existing method is too slow. .NET can reduce the database round trips by using the dataset. The existing COM data access will stay except the GetPerson() method. So I am going to call the .NET getPerson() mehtod from the COM,  The original GetPerson() method in COM just go to data base, pull data from 7 tables and write to dictionary.  If the .NET getPerson() can populate the COM Dictionary, that would be great! I know .NET object can be directly assign t...

how to know rss url of asp.net like ASP.NET News,ASP.NET team Weblogs,ASP.NET Article of the Day
 Hai All,            how to know rss url of asp.net site like ASP.NET News,ASP.NET team Weblogs,ASP.NET Article of the Day ?          please tell me tool or any other idea for finding rss url any website like Google News,MSN News like that.          please help me.  thanks&regards,Pankaj Kumar Singh   You can do that by adding a link tag with type="application/rss+xml" , For example , www.asp.net have something like that in the page declaration : <link rel="alter...

Request Suggestion: ASP=>ASP.NET 3.5 or ASP=>ASP.NET 2.0 ->ASP.NET 3.5 (in 5 years)
Hi there, I have a few questions:My company has about 40 mid-sized application written in class asp. We plan to upgrade to ASP.NET since Microsoft will no longer support ASPin three years. As of today, most of our servers are running ASP.NET 2.0. Here are a few of the questions:1.) Is ASP.NET 3.5 or ASP.NET 3.0 stable enough to be put to production?  2.) Can IIS run different versions of ASP.NET? 3.) For new applications, would you guys develop it in ASP.NET 2.0 or the latest version?4.) Any known problems?  I love the the MVC and ORM/LINQ about ASP.NET 3.5; however, I...

C#, ASP.Net 2.0/3.5, ADO.Net,Jscript Articles on CodeDigest.Com
  C#  Parameters in C# - Part 1 This series of article will help us to understand the basics of variables and parameters in C#. Parameters in C# - Part 1, we will understand how the variables and instances are stored and manipulated in .Net environment. Parameters in C# – Part 2 Parameters in C#, Part 2 of this article series will discuss on value types and reference types. This Part will help us to clear some confusions we have around Reference types. Parameters in C# – Part 3 Parameters in C#, Part 3 of this article series will concentrate on Value types in C#. After ...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

ASP.NET 3.5 to ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions
Hi, I have a ASP.NET 3.5 web site, I want to enable it for ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions. How do I do it? Thanks in Advance,Anup --Go for it now. The future is promised to no one.-- Or How do I convert ASP.NET 2.0 website to ASP.NET 3.5 with Extensions ? --Go for it now. The future is promised to no one.-- >Or How do I convert ASP.NET 2.0 website to ASP.NET 3.5 with Extensions  Open the solution for the project is Visual Studio 2008 and change the target type from 2.0 to 3.5. You will then be able to start using all the extension to the 2.0 framework.Don't forget...

ASP.NET Compilation using C# 3.0 / .NET 3.5
I'm clearly missing something: I installed .NET 3.5, which installed fine.  I open an ASPX page and add a .NET 3.5 or C# 3.0 specific feature (such as "var name = 'Tyrven'") and I get a compilation error.  For example, CS0246: The type or namespace name 'var' could not be found CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Linq' does not exist in the namespace 'System'  Obviously it is still using the CSC.exe that shipped with .NET 2.0 and isn't including references to the new .NET 3.5 class libraries.  I've looked up t...

VB.NET OR ASP.NET #3
I am starting to learn programming softwares in next week. its very new for me i dont know or i dont have any programming background at all. everything will be new for me. now i have few choices to learn. first vb.net 2003 second ASP.net or 3rd vb 2005. my requirements are, i want to build applications for my industry. some applications are window based and some are web based. majors window based. few people suggested me to learn ASP.net because ASP.net has options to build to design and develop window based and web based both the applications at same time. my questions are. 1. Is ther...

.NET Cert discussion/.NET Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Application Development (Exam 70-562)
all in one! First I'd like to hear from people who have acquired some sort of cert from The Giant, MS.  Could you please state what sort of certification you achieved, whether you accomplished your goals (learning the framework, better job, etc), and if it is/was worth it.  I've been developing web apps for a few months now in C#/.NET and while I've learned a lot, I wish I k new more so I could make better choices for such tight deadlines.  Perhaps it will help me with another job later on down the line, but for now, it's more about person...

Web resources about - SN #3 - www.grc.com/net/net.htm - grc.news.feedback

Full Episode: WN 12/18/15: Bernie Sanders' Campaign Under Fire Over DNC Data Breach
15-Year-Old High School Football Player Killed Saving 3 Girls; Terrorism and Fears at Home to be Number 1 Topics of Next Democratic Debate

Target Rumored To Be Working On Own Mobile Payments Service
A couple of weeks ago, Walmart announced Walmart Pay . It was rather surprising but given that Walmart was one of the larger retailers to not ...

Martin Shkreli’s Arrest Causes A Stir In ‘Big Pharma’ Game
Since the former CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals Martin Shkreli posted a $5-million dollar bail, many organizations with whom he had a business ...

By George! Charlotte is just like her mummy: Adorably happy family portrait show how little princess ...
An informal family portrait (right) of Kate (pictured at age one bottom left) and Wills (top left as a two-year-old) with their two children ...

Jason Day’s wife released from hospital after LeBron James crash landing - Sport - The Guardian
Ellie Day, the wife of the US PGA champion Jason Day, has been released from hospital after being on the receiving end of a LeBron James crash ...

Virginia district cancels school over Islamic lesson anger
Christian Science Monitor Virginia district cancels school over Islamic lesson anger Salt Lake Tribune Staunton, Va. • A rural Virginia school ...

California governor declares emergency in response to San Bernardino attack
California Governor Jerry Brown on Friday declared a state of emergency in San Bernardino County, following the massacre by an Islamic State-inspired ...

Apple's Tim Cook says tax avoidance criticism is 'political crap'
Apple and other tech companies have been criticised for using complex cross-border accounting measures to transfer profits to low tax jurisdictions ...

UN council backs Syria peace plan to end the country's civil war
British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond (right, with John Kerry) described the UN's endorsement of the peace process as a 'significant step' ...

What makes mayo? FDA finally answers this existential question
Remember the great mayo battle of 2015? No? Let us refresh your memory. Earlier this year, it was reported that the American Egg Board, an industry ...