Linux anyone?

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread about the idea of having a Linux
thread here.
Personally, I would love it!  I would like to know more about Linux and I
would love a place to go ask questions.

I expect that there are some sites that already exist for much of this
content, so I will pose two questions to folks here:

1)  What recommendations can people give regarding other newsgroups/sites
that cater to this line of thought?  One caveat:  I have been to some Linux
sites before.  The ones I had seen tended to be filled with, ummm, how do I
say this, much less polite conversation and verbage than I have found here.
I would appreciate sites that aren't filled with four letter words and other
generally socially unacceptable content.

2)  Is there a large enough interest in this community to justify creation
of a Linux thread?  If so, how do we communicate this to Steve and, is Steve
willing/able to dedicate the band-width/disk space to hosting that thread?

M. Robar
0
Mike
8/20/2001 2:57:00 PM
grc.news.feedback 4181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

8 Replies
386 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 52

1.  Try the alt.os.linux.* groups.  I use Caldera's Workstation 3.1 and 
hang around the alt.os.linux.caldera group.  There are also some groups in 
comp.os.linux.* such as hardware, networking, and security.

Your best bet is to find the alt.os.linux.* group for you distribution and 
hang around there and the the other groups as you have a need.

> Someone mentioned in an earlier thread about the idea of having a Linux
> thread here.
> Personally, I would love it!  I would like to know more about Linux and I
> would love a place to go ask questions.
> 
> I expect that there are some sites that already exist for much of this
> content, so I will pose two questions to folks here:
> 
> 1)  What recommendations can people give regarding other newsgroups/sites
> that cater to this line of thought?  One caveat:  I have been to some
> Linux
> sites before.  The ones I had seen tended to be filled with, ummm, how do
> I say this, much less polite conversation and verbage than I have found
> here. I would appreciate sites that aren't filled with four letter words
> and other generally socially unacceptable content.

-- 
Brett I. Holcomb
bholcomb@R777cableone.net
Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt <><
Remove R777 to email
0
Brett
8/20/2001 3:23:00 PM
I think Brett's suggestion of the alt.os.linux.* groups is right on the
money.  I read the mandrake version and it is a great.  There are lots
of helpful folk there.

There are also some great app specific groups too like PHP, Samba and
such.  Check 'em all out and you will have a good idea where to go when
you have a particular problem.

MikeD
0
miked
8/20/2001 4:20:00 PM
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:57:54 -0400, "Mike Robar"
<anony@no_spam.columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>2)  Is there a large enough interest in this community to justify creation
>of a Linux thread?  If so, how do we communicate this to Steve and, is Steve
>willing/able to dedicate the band-width/disk space to hosting that thread?

(I think you mean a new group, rather than thread...  right, Mike?)

Well, I'm certainly interested.  I don't frequent regular Usenet, tho
I've been considering digging up a server for it of late.  Since
finding GRC's groups, I've rather enjoyed the good discussion here,
and I've answered several questions about Linux, both in news.feedback
and techtalk.

As for getting Steve to create it...  I think the best way to convince
him it's a good idea is to get people to post supporting it.  Post
your vote today!

I don't see a lot from Steve regarding Linux.  Perhaps he doesn't have
one because he doesn't keep up with Linux developments much?  Or
because he's more interested in things closer to the masses?  Or have
I just missed it?  I don't know.  I'd like to hear Steve's thoughts on
both Linux in general, and the possibility of a new group for it's
discussion.

	Cya,
		RT
0
hrocdol
8/20/2001 6:39:00 PM
sounds like a great idea..
i use linux at home and would LOVE to see a linux newsgroup...
be nice to get help from ppl that you (somewhat) can trust..
you just cant get on irc and have someone send you a xinitrc to "help"
you through your problem.. (thats not a good idea anyway.. they probably
send you somethign bad..) COUNT ME IN!

RT wrote:<snip>
0
oberon
8/20/2001 11:45:00 PM
> As for getting Steve to create it...  I think the best way to convince
> him it's a good idea is to get people to post supporting it.  Post
> your vote today!



You have my vote! Was told on asking (my "computer guy") re using Linux
that "With operating systems for compatibly unfortunately windows would
be the best choice". Maybe it's time I ditched Windows AND my computer
guy??!!

Cheers Lisa
0
Lisa
8/21/2001 8:32:00 AM
Why dont you actually try Linux first and then think about ditching your
"computer guy"? Advice can be free; experience seldom is.


"Lisa Preston" <aquadolphin@hotkey.net.au> wrote in message
news:3B821CB4.320B8292@hotkey.net.au...
> > As for getting Steve to create it...  I think the best way to convince
> > him it's a good idea is to get people to post supporting it.  Post
> > your vote today!
>
>
>
> You have my vote! Was told on asking (my "computer guy") re using Linux
> that "With operating systems for compatibly unfortunately windows would
> be the best choice". Maybe it's time I ditched Windows AND my computer
> guy??!!
>
> Cheers Lisa
0
Kerry
8/21/2001 12:20:00 PM
Lisa,

It depends on what is meant by "best choice".  <wink>

Linux is certainly not the "low maintenance" os that Windows is.  But in
exchange for that 'extra maintenance', you get a system that is much
more stable, freely (relatively speaking) upgradeable, configurable, ...
and so on and so on.   But not everyone wants to have to clean their log
files, edit config files, tweek settings, monitor disk usage, upload and
compile and install to get patches or new apps.

It's not that it is difficult, but it is completely different from
Windows ... that is there is not a lot of "carry over" ... you basically
have to start over.

Personally I think it is worth the effort, but I have been using *nix in
it's various guises for well over 15 years.

MikeD


"Lisa Preston" <aquadolphin@hotkey.net.au> wrote in message
news:3B821CB4.320B8292@hotkey.net.au...
> You have my vote! Was told on asking (my "computer guy") re using
Linux
> that "With operating systems for compatibly unfortunately windows
would
> be the best choice"
0
miked
8/21/2001 4:32:00 PM
Okay, once again, I see a need for a newsgroup, and I'll try to fill it.

I have added a .linux group to my news server at news://lugoconst.com

Feel free to use it.

Bob Young
news://lugoconst.com
0
Bob
8/21/2001 5:15:00 PM
Reply: