Connection reset by peer....

I frequently get a "connection reset by peer" message when connected to
the grc groups. It seems to happen after some idle time. Is there some
type of time limit that only allows us to be connected for a certain
length of time?

--
OverSoul

Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

	   --Albert Einstein--

0
OverSoul
10/23/2001 2:40:00 AM
grc.news.feedback 4181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

OverSoul ...

> I frequently get a "connection reset by peer" message when
> connected to the grc groups. It seems to happen after some
> idle time. Is there some type of time limit that only allows
> us to be connected for a certain length of time?

I checked in here just to let people know that I had been rebooting
the firewall a bunch -- and was thus disconnecting all of everyone's
newsreaders -- several times.  That's all done now.

Unfortunately this is both a "production" network and an R&D network,
so sometimes one interferes with the other.  <g>

I'm writing the RSVP Agent for the NanoProbe stuff ... and I needed
to add some funky firewall rules to allow the "NanoProbe Interface"
on my own main workstation to transact with my system's main TCP
interface.  :)

Steve Gibson,               at work on: < 952,462 loose ends >
0
Steve
10/23/2001 2:49:00 AM
Steve Gibson <support@grc.com> wrote in news:MPG.163e7aa985f349e989fc5@
207.71.92.194:

> Unfortunately this is both a "production" network and an R&D network,
> so sometimes one interferes with the other.  <g>

No problem...I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something on my end.

--
OverSoul

Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

	   --Albert Einstein--

0
OverSoul
10/23/2001 3:19:00 AM
"OverSoul �" <oversoul_seven@yahoo.com> wrote in message

This question comes up from time to time so it may be may be worth a general
answer.

It seems to be a generic problem that will never go away, often caused by a
bad link or congestion somewhere along the route. If you're having this
problem, as a workaround try setting a new value into the registry -
MaxDataRetries - the default is 5. Go for 10.

This article in the knowledgebase explains it all:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q158/4/74.asp

I've extracted the pertinent bits here:

The Value entries described in this article do not normally exist in the
Windows registry; they must be added to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP
MaxDataRetries = 32-bit number
Data Type: String
Specifies the maximum number of times a segment carrying data or an FIN will
be retransmitted before the connection is aborted. The retransmission
timeout itself is adaptive and will vary according to link conditions. The
default is 5.

This is where I found the knowledgebase article:
http://supportweb.attachmate.com/kb/all/rs15784.htm

Notice that it's 6 years old!

Now go to google and search for connection-reset-by-peer (the hyphens
indicate that it's a phrase). Now just keep on reading until you find
something really interesting.<g>

Bob Vanderveen
0
Anonymous
10/23/2001 5:54:00 PM
"Anonymous Bob" <No.How@No.Way> wrote in

> This question comes up from time to time so it may be may be worth a
> general answer.

Thanks for the reply, but Steve already mentioned that he was playing
around with the newsserver, which caused the connection reset in this
specific case.

--
OverSoul

Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

	   --Albert Einstein--

0
OverSoul
10/23/2001 6:18:00 PM
Anonymous Bob wrote:

> It seems to be a generic problem that will never go away, often caused
> by a bad link or congestion somewhere along the route. If you're
> having this problem, as a workaround try setting a new value into the
> registry - MaxDataRetries - the default is 5. Go for 10.

I tried this, and as a result, mIRC (IRC client) crashed 4 times in 20
minutes. Netscape crashed twice in the same period of time. Be warned.

Mal-2
--
Do you dream in color or in bed?                   -- James "Kibo" Parry
snoop bait: gorilla counterfeit afsatcom Jasmine Stephanie
"Malaclypse the Younger" <billthecat@geocities.com> wrote in message

> I tried this, and as a result, mIRC (IRC client) crashed 4 times in 20
> minutes. Netscape crashed twice in the same period of time. Be warned.

I've been running W98 with that change for nearly a year, but then I don't
run Netscape mIRC. Guess I should have included the standard "YMMV".

Bob Vanderveen
0
Anonymous

Connection reset by peer
Hello, I changed from an ADSL provider to a Fiber provider. Now I get everytime the exception "Connection reset by peer" when closing the idFTP1 connection: idFTP1.Disconnect (Indy 10) I also tried idFTP1.DisconnectNotifyPeer and idFTP1.Quit, but the exception is still raised. How can I solve this problem ? Thanks, Hubert Anemaat > {quote:title=Hubert Anemaat wrote:}{quote} > Hello, > > I changed from an ADSL provider to a Fiber provider. Now I get everytime the exception "Connection reset by peer" when closing the *idFTP1* connection Is it...

Connect reset by peer
I'm doing a migration from SQL Server 10, Open Client 10.0.1 to Server 11.0.3, Open Client 10.0.4 on Solaris 2.4. I've got a C application using CT-Lib functions which was running alright before, but it is quite frequently killed with a message "System error (131) connection reset by peer" after migration. I know that it is a unix system error but I suspect that it was caused by Sybase. Is there any configuration (server config, memory, etc) that possibly cause this error? Any idea would be welcome. ...

Connection reset by peer,
Hi I have a Delphi XE2 Datasnap webbroker ISAPI (IIS 7.5) I get Socket Error #10054 Connection reset by peer constantly just after living the client idle for a couple of minutes. This is not a firewall problem. It's the Datasnap server that closes the connection. What could cuase this problem? regards Mikael ...

Connection reset by peer
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> I keep getting "Connect reset by peer" messages from Jaguar upon method return.&nbsp; I'm accessing component methods via JAWS and HTTP that return HTML strings.&nbsp; I write debugging messages to the srv.log that report on the progress of the method.&nbsp; The method seems to be exiting as is should.&nbsp; I write a log message just before the return.&nbsp; Any ideas what might be causing these errors?&nbsp; The messages just started to appear...&nbsp;...

Connection reset by peer
Jaguar 4.2.2 (build 42211) XP Hi ! I=b4ve a connection cache over Oracle 9i native driver. The database Oracle is in Unix. When I try to do a ping I recieve this message error "java.net.sockectexception: connection reset by peer" and the Jaguar server finish with this message in the error.log "A Fatal NT Exception [EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION(0xc0000005)] was received while executing the method 'pingByUser' of the component 'Jaguar/CMPing'." But if I change the native driver by ODBC it=b4s work perfectly. =bf some idea ? ...

Peer to peer connection
Hi, I'm trying to make a program to transfer files between my pc and another that is behind a router. My side will act as master and the other just as a slave, serving what master asks without user interference. I know that the easiest way is to run a idTCPserver at the slave side and a idTCPclient at master's side, but this needs to forward the used port at the router. I want to keep out of this. So I try the reverse way. A idTCPclient at slave side and idTCPserver at my side as master (in my side I can forward ports). Starting the slave it connects to master-server. Af...

Connection Reset By Peer (Timeout?)
Hello, I have a multi-tier application using datasnap (WebBroker Application) on IIS. It's working fine, but sometime, when the user doesn't work a lot with the application I got a 'Connection Reset By Peer' (about 3 minutes) I guess, there is a timeout somewhere... Is there something special to configure on the IIS Application Pool? Thank you, Eric > {quote:title=Eric Friedlingstein wrote:}{quote} > Hello, > > I have a multi-tier application using datasnap (WebBroker Application) on IIS. > > It's working fine, but sometime, when...

#10054 Connection reset by peer
Hi, I upgraded from Indy 10 r3830 to r4103. Now I (very) often get this #10054 exception after I disconnect. The same application using r3830 doesn't have this problem. In the status event of IdFtp: Disconnecting then Disconnected but then this exception (#100054). I found some changes in IdFtp "DisconnectNotifyPeer": - r4103: procedure TIdFTP.DisconnectNotifyPeer; begin if IOHandler.Connected then begin IOHandler.WriteLn('QUIT'); {do not localize} IOHandler.CheckForDataOnSource(100); if not IOHandler.InputBufferIsEmpty then begin ...

Connection reset by peer #2
I've created a web application using the html DW control in Powesite. It works very nicely, including a master-detail setup and conditional formatting in the Datawindows rendered into the web pages. The performance is better than I expected. Once in a while I have to restart Jaguar after getting: ---------------------------------------------------- ERROR: Creating Jaguar component 'DataWindow/HTMLGenerator', 'Exception thrown: org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: iiop://SOBPC02:9000 - java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer in method CreateComponent of class jagc...

Firemonkey
Hi, I've made a Firemonkey application in RAD Studio XE5, it's a Client-Server application (Datasnap). In Delphi it's possible to handle 'Connection reset by peer', using a TApplicationEvents for VCL. Is there a way to do the same for Firemonkey? TIA, An vzw wrote: > In Delphi it's possible to handle 'Connection reset by peer', > using a TApplicationEvents for VCL. That is the socket error message, not a window message. Onless you are referring to the OnException event, which is only triggered for uncaught exceptions. > Is th...

I/O Error Connection reset by peer
Hi everyone, I use Net::LDAP in a script that does a daily search on a large LDAP database (~80,000 entries). The expected return from the search is ~2000 entries. One run of the script threw up this error: my $mesg = $ldap->search(base=>...); $mesg->error was "I/O Error Connection reset by peer" I dont think this has anything to do with an ldap search size limit. For one thing, I expect to get a "sizelimit exceeded" error in that case and I have error-handling for that and the other thing is that I dont expect to exceed the size limit. I use...

Connection reset by peer error 10054
Hello, Using Delphi XE3 I developed a Datasnap webbroker ISAPI (IIS 7.5) application which works fine as you works with it... To be more clear If I leave the app inactive and try to use it after 3/4 minutes I receive a "socket error #10054 connection reset by peer" error I'm using a session live cycle on the server and I didn't changed any session default timeout (which should be 20mins.). Is there any kind of inactivity timeout I have to set up for a longer period ? Is there a way to intercept this error to try reconnecting to the server ? Thanks, Davide Hi, ...

Connection peer to peer Firebird
Delphi 2010 dbExpress SqLConnection I need to connect a database (Firebird) on a peer to peer It 'the first time that use dbExpress for networked applications Driver / Database I set; \\192.168.1.1\Z:\SIDDAT\SIDDAT.FDB error message : "unavailable database" I have little experience with dbExpress if someone can help me connetere network in the Db .. Thanks PS: by the way the parameter "\\ 192.168.1.1 \ Z: \ SIDDAT \ SIDDAT.FDB"        should be read from a table > {quote:title=Maurizio Ceglar wro...

Socket Error #10054. Connection reset by peer.
Hello I use Intraweb Ultimate 12.2.8 with Delphi XE2 Update 4. Not always but mostly I get an Exception EIdSocket Error when I show a new IWForm (or going back to the existing). Text: Socket Error #10054. Connection reset by peer. I'm not sure where to look. I write a database application with Oracle and Odac components from DevArts and I use also TMS Intraweb components. Any Idea how I can find out ? Thank you Christian > {quote:title=Christian Bugge wrote:}{quote} > Hello > I use Intraweb Ultimate 12.2.8 with Delphi XE2 Update 4. > > Not always b...

Web resources about - Connection reset by peer.... - grc.news.feedback

10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks
CNN 10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks CNN (CNN) Belgian police have arrested a 10th person in connection with last month's ...

Should auld connections be forgot...
This environmental testing company has strict data-retention requirements and they go beyond the data, reports a pilot fish on the scene. "Per ...

'How To Get Away With Murder' Season 2 Spoilers: Annalise, Wes, Eve's Connection Teased
... Away With Murder" season 2 will reveal more information about Annalise Keating (Viola Davis), Eve (Famke Janssen) and Wes' (Alfred Enoch) connection. ...