Anyone having trouble reading the techtalk.linux newsgroup ?

Is anyone else having trouble reading the grc.techtalk.linux newsgroups.
Since yesterday (tues) I have not been able to read it, mozilla stalls
when I try to load it. All other ng's that im subscribed to work fine,
as did .linux previously. No changes made to machine. Anyone else ??

MC
0
mc
9/3/2003 11:29:00 AM
grc.news.feedback 4181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

mc <REPLY.TO.NEWSGROUP@mctech.org> wrote:
> Is anyone else having trouble reading the grc.techtalk.linux newsgroups.
> Since yesterday (tues) I have not been able to read it, mozilla stalls
> when I try to load it. All other ng's that im subscribed to work fine,
> as did .linux previously. No changes made to machine. Anyone else ??

MC,

No problem.  It loads *real* fast on my Win95b/OE5 system

--
Robert
List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/
In article <bj4jaj$rbd$1@news.grc.com> mc wrote:

> Is anyone else having trouble reading the grc.techtalk.linux newsgroups.
> Since yesterday (tues) I have not been able to read it, mozilla stalls
> when I try to load it. All other ng's that im subscribed to work fine,
> as did .linux previously. No changes made to machine. Anyone else ??

I'm not running Mozilla at the moment, but it's a lot like Netscape and
it sounds like you have a corrupted .linux NG file.  Try this MC:  Go to
wherever Moz lists the GRC NG files, delete the .linux file (.snm
extension in Netscape 4x) then dl the entire .linux NG again.

HTH

--
Alan
Energy has an objective, independent physical existence and exists
hermital wrote:
> In article <bj4jaj$rbd$1@news.grc.com> mc wrote:
>
>>Is anyone else having trouble reading the grc.techtalk.linux newsgroups.
>>Since yesterday (tues) I have not been able to read it, mozilla stalls
>>when I try to load it. All other ng's that im subscribed to work fine,
>>as did .linux previously. No changes made to machine. Anyone else ??
>>

> I'm not running Mozilla at the moment, but it's a lot like Netscape and
> it sounds like you have a corrupted .linux NG file.  Try this MC:  Go to
> wherever Moz lists the GRC NG files, delete the .linux file (.snm
> extension in Netscape 4x) then dl the entire .linux NG again.

I was afraid someone would say that, thats an all day job on my dialup
connection. :(

MC
0
mc
9/3/2003 1:35:00 PM
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 07:29:23 -0400,
mc <REPLY.TO.NEWSGROUP@mctech.org> wrote:

> Is anyone else having trouble reading the grc.techtalk.linux newsgroups.
> Since yesterday (tues) I have not been able to read it, mozilla stalls
> when I try to load it. All other ng's that im subscribed to work fine,
> as did .linux previously. No changes made to machine. Anyone else ??

Not here (using Agent with Hamster).  I was never impressed with
Mozilla's newsreader, test with something else if you can.

--
My "from" address is totally fake.  The reply-to address is real, but
may be only temporary.  Reply to usenet postings in the same place as
In article <bj4qmb$20u$1@news.grc.com> mc wrote:

> I was afraid someone would say that, thats an all day job on my dialup
> connection. :(

I'm also on dialup and I checked it out before I replied the first
time.  I found 3077 total messages and it only took about 3 minutes to
dl on this W2K box. :)

If dl'ing the total .techtalk.linux NG file is still an issue, dl as few
messages as you think are necessary (100-500) and start again with that
database.

HTH

--
Alan
Energy has an objective, independent physical existence and exists
in the absence of matter, but matter is entirely dependent upon
energy and cannot exist in the absence of energy.  - A.T. Williams
< http://www.cox-internet.com/hermital/holoprt2.htm >
0
hermital
9/3/2003 5:30:00 PM
hermital wrote:

> In article <bj4qmb$20u$1@news.grc.com> mc wrote:
>
>>I was afraid someone would say that, thats an all day job on my dialup
>>connection. :(
>>

> I'm also on dialup and I checked it out before I replied the first
> time.  I found 3077 total messages and it only took about 3 minutes to
> dl on this W2K box. :)
>
> If dl'ing the total .techtalk.linux NG file is still an issue, dl as few
> messages as you think are necessary (100-500) and start again with that
> database.
>
> HTH

yea tried that: unsubbed from .linux; shut down moz; found and deleted
the relevant files; restarted moz; resubbed to .linux; no change.

have since found at least one message in another group that refuses to
download. so ... i dunno whats up.

MC
0
mc
9/3/2003 7:31:00 PM
In message <3F562519.C68B1053@cox-internet.com>, hermital
<hermital@cox-internet.com> writes:

>In article <bj4qmb$20u$1@news.grc.com> mc wrote:
>>
>> I was afraid someone would say that, thats an all day job on my dialup
>> connection. :(
>>
>I'm also on dialup and I checked it out before I replied the first
>time.  I found 3077 total messages and it only took about 3 minutes to
>dl on this W2K box. :)
>
>If dl'ing the total .techtalk.linux NG file is still an issue, dl as few
>messages as you think are necessary (100-500) and start again with that
>database.

Or use NewNews, and just download the last 24 hours.

--
Jim Crowther                  "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
One way to escape spam: <http://popfile.sourceforge.net/>

News read for Linux?
Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux? I have used Thunderbird on Mac and Linux, and now trying out "Pan" on Ubuntu 10.04. Sunnz wrote: > Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux? > > I have used Thunderbird on Mac and Linux, and now trying out "Pan" on > Ubuntu 10.04. I like the way tbird version 2 handles my accounts, fits my needs, but I don't like version 3. -- Jimmy Johnson SimplyMEPIS 8.5-1 EXT4 at sda5 Registered Linux User #380263 For some reason, Sunnz said: > Ju...

Does anyone from Sybase actually read these newsgroups?
I suspect not, but would be happy to be proved wrong. On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 08:30:44 -0500, SS wrote: Yes from time to time. If you look up a few posts you will see some Sybase posters. If there are Sybase posters they are doing this in their 'spare' time and some times they will have spare time and other times they will not. Most likely they are providing support first to internal support cases which have come from customers opened problems if they happen to be Sybase support people. They may just be new jConnect users like many of those who post The Sybase newsgroups are int...

Mozilla News-reading news
I have several newsgroups set up, when I finish reading the posts in one newsgroup and click on the next button Mozilla asks "Advance to next unread message in newsgroup.whatever?" Is there a place to turn off it asking and go ahead and go the the next unread message in the next newsgroup? I've looked at about:config listing, and haven't seen anything under preferences. Probably something simple I am missing. Thanks! Steve Mozilla 1.5 Linux steve harris wrote: > I have several newsgroups set up, when I finish reading the posts in one > newsgr...

Trouble, trouble, trouble
Name: Charles Fleming Email: charlesflmngatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Trouble, trouble, trouble Comments: I am beginning to wish I had not downloaded Firefox 3. It hangs up, does weird things, and it's even more problematic with YAHOO! than Firefox 2 was. I appreciate all your efforts, and I can only wish that I were a software brainiac like you guys, so I could fix this. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....
Hi, I know this isnt a direct Firefox problem, but its causing me a problem to read the mozilla news groups. I use Outlook Express because its the only program I know, and am used to, with how to use to read the newsgroups. I have been having problems today getting memory errors, which cause me to loose the news.mozilla.org newsgroups I have. I did download a news reader called Alt.Binz, but have no idea how to get it working. I wonder, does anybody know how I can increase the Outlook Express memory, or a news reader that is easy to configure, that wont run out of memory. ...

Having trouble with reading an XML doc on a secure website...anyone seen this before?
Here is my code: Dim httpsPath As String = "https://infomanager.southernco.com/IM/modules/FldSrvcReports/FSRTree.igproj" Dim myTreeXmlReader As New System.Xml.XmlTextReader(httpsPath) Dim myTreeXmlDoc As New System.Xml.XmlDocument Try myTreeXmlDoc.Load(myTreeXmlReader) Catch ex As Exception Response.Write(ex.Message) End Try I get the following exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. The weird thing is...it works fine on my local ...

Is anyone else having trouble reading the Wall Street Journal using Firefox?
I can read it fine with IE6. I don't believe the problem is with my firewall (ZoneAlarm) or with my Internet Connection Settings. I have tried every possible configuration of accepting cookies. Of course I have cleared my cache and started over with a clean instance of Firefox. This is a problem that started a few weeks ago. I suspect WSJ changed something in the way it handles cookies. Their customer support is a dead letter box. LMHudson wrote: > I can read it fine with IE6. I don't believe the problem is with my > firewall (ZoneAlarm) or with my Internet Connection...

Read news articles appear as not-read?
In all subscribed groups the articles that I have read in a Tbird session appear as they should 'as read', ie in a faded text. Unread articles are shown in bold. However the next day or so when I go back to the same group the messages that I have read the previous day(s) are again shown in bold as if I hadn't read them? I am sure there is a global setting but nor sure which one I need to set. I don't want the articles to be deleted just to show that they have been read. Thanks, John On 26/04/11 00:31, john wrote: > In all subscribed groups the articles ...

news.mozilla.org: reading new newsgroups failed, reason "501 no such list available"
Has anyone been seeing the error: news.mozilla.org: reading new newsgroups failed, reason "501 no such list available" I am using leafnode to access news.mozilla.org. Arthur. Arthur Marsh wrote: > Has anyone been seeing the error: > > news.mozilla.org: reading new newsgroups failed, reason "501 no such > list available" > > I am using leafnode to access news.mozilla.org. > > Arthur. nope! Then again, I'm not using leaf -- *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!! Emails to me may become publ...

Has anyone read it?
I've been looking for a review by anyone who's read Carter's new book, SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide. Can anyone point me to where I can find if others have enjoyed this new text? TIA Looks like it hasn't been released yet. On Barnes and Noble, it appears to be listed wrong. (SQL 2000 Anywhere? Huh?) http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=z0s1DvrJMR&isbn=1556225067&itm=1 Amazon has a better price. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556225067/qid=1086192413/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5120465-1628133?v=...

Linux anyone?
Someone mentioned in an earlier thread about the idea of having a Linux thread here. Personally, I would love it! I would like to know more about Linux and I would love a place to go ask questions. I expect that there are some sites that already exist for much of this content, so I will pose two questions to folks here: 1) What recommendations can people give regarding other newsgroups/sites that cater to this line of thought? One caveat: I have been to some Linux sites before. The ones I had seen tended to be filled with, ummm, how do I say this, much less polite conversatio...

Linux news
I'm sure you've all seen this: http://bbspot.com/News/2000/4/linux_distros.html but I couldn't help myself. Bob Vanderveen Anonymous Bob wrote: > I'm sure you've all seen this: > http://bbspot.com/News/2000/4/linux_distros.html > > but I couldn't help myself. <q> Long time Linux guru Bob Tallman said, "This is great for the open source movement. I have 7 different versions installed on my computer at home. Some guys I know have over 30." </q> I'm such a wienie. I only have four. At the moment, anyw...

Linux News
As some of you may or may not have seen, Sybase announced they are creating a Linux port of EAServer to be released later this year. This was announced as part of the LinuxWorld Expo last week. After the announcement, EAS won the "Best of Show" award from votes placed by show attendees! http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/linuxworldtoday/lwt-news3.html Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division Hi Will there be a beta of this product ? I am very interested ! Marco Laponder (mlr@interchain.nl) Dave Wolf [Sybase] heeft geschreven in bericht ... >As some...

reading news
Hello, When I subscribe to a newsgroup, thunderbird ask me how many header message I want to view (default to 500). After having answered to this question, how can I change this, how can I tell thunderbird to see more headers that the number I initially has choose? Thanks for your help, Olive (P.S. I actually use seamonkey on linux, but the thunderbird forum has much more adherent; since I think that the two behave the same, I initially post my message here). On 12/04/2006 04:29 AM, Olive wrote: > Hello, > > When I subscribe to a newsgroup, thunderbird ask ...

Web resources about - Anyone having trouble reading the techtalk.linux newsgroup ? - grc.news.feedback

Netscape Mail & Newsgroups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Netscape Mail and Newsgroups , commonly known as just Netscape Mail , was an email and news client produced by Netscape Communications Corporation ...

Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage
Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage People's Daily Online Eight people from 21cbh.com, including the editor-in-chief, ...

NY attorney general gets more ISPs to block alt.* newsgroups
New York's Attorney General has turned his initial efforts against online …

ISPs agree to block access to child porn sites, newsgroups
Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable agree to block Internet newsgroups and Web sites nationwide that disseminate child pornography, according ...

Microsoft Plans Newsgroups Shutdown
Microsoft plans to close the more than 2,000 public newsgroups and 2,200 private newsgroups devoted to its various products and services. Discussions ...

NBCUniversal Newsgroup jobs - mediabistro.com
Jobs and recruiting for social media and traditional media professionals covering journalism, social media marketing, social games, web development, ...

Google Acquires Deja Newsgroup Service - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)
Google purchased the Deja newsgroup archives last month and is now running them within its own site. Despite saving the service, Google came ...

Best and latest newsgroup - Page 2 of 5 info
... Subscribers Breaking RapidShare Stops Washington Lobbying Efforts and Regains Pirate Stamp On: 21/02/2014 Comments: 48 All Results For: newsgroup ...

More ISPs Decide to Filter Usenet Newsgroups
... in pressuring AOL and AT&T to join the ranks of Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable in limiting access to many or all of the Usenet newsgroups ...

AOL ditches newsgroups
Lack of use Win a Samsung 40-inch LED HDTV with The Reg and HP! AOL is pulling the plug on servers hosting newsgroups. AOL subscribers will ...