Windows Update stops responding if you click Install to download and install updates for Windows XP or Windows 2000

followup to grc.techtalk

Windows Update stops responding if you click Install to download and install
updates for Windows XP or Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896227

Article ID      :       896227
Last Review     :       March 29, 2005
Revision        :       1.0

SYMPTOMS
If you scan for updates for your Microsoft Windows XP-based or Microsoft
Windows 2000-based computer at the Microsoft Windows Update Web site,
Windows Update may display a list of updates that are available for your
computer. However, if you click Install on the Install Updates Web page to
download and install the updates, the progress indicator stops responding,
and you cannot download the updates.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, make sure that the DCOM settings in your computer are
configured correctly. To do this, use the method for your operating system.

[...]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896227

Unquote

Kayode Okeyode
http://del.icio.us/kayodeok
0
kayodeok
3/30/2005 5:37:24 AM
grc.linkfarm 6478 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In grc.techtalk kayodeok wrote:

> followup to grc.techtalk
>
> Windows Update stops responding if you click Install to download
> and install updates for Windows XP or Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896227

> Article ID      :       896227
> Last Review     :       March 29, 2005
> Revision        :       1.0
[ ]
> RESOLUTION
> To resolve this issue, make sure that the DCOM settings in your
> computer are configured correctly. To do this, use the method
> for your operating system.

Yet another very poorly written article.  No reasons, no
explanations, no references....   Thanks but no thanks.  I'm sure
glad I don't use WU.
0
Mark