Get a free domain name and hosting from Microsoft

The words "free" and "Microsoft" don't often appear in the same sentence, so
imagine my surprise at discovering this deal: a free custom domain name,
free Web hosting, free e-mail accounts, and more.

As you might expect from the name, Microsoft Office Live Basics has a
decidedly business focus--but that doesn't mean you can't use it for a
personal site.

The freebie account includes not only the domain (any available .com, .net,
..org, or .info address), but also site-building tools, reporting tools,
project and document managers, 100 e-mail addresses, and
collaboration-minded online workspaces. You get 500MB of storage, too.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10160295-58.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

0
paradoX
2/11/2009 4:59:31 PM
grc.linkfarm 6478 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"paradoX" <paradoX@lupa.cc> wrote in message
The words "free" and "Microsoft" don't often appear in the same sentence, so
imagine my surprise at discovering this deal: a free custom domain name,
free Web hosting, free e-mail accounts, and more.

As you might expect from the name, Microsoft Office Live Basics has a
decidedly business focus--but that doesn't mean you can't use it for a
personal site.

The freebie account includes not only the domain (any available .com, .net,
..org, or .info address), but also site-building tools, reporting tools,
project and document managers, 100 e-mail addresses, and
collaboration-minded online workspaces. You get 500MB of storage, too.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10160295-58.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

Too bad it's not available in Australia...

The only countries where this offer is available is:

U.S.A.
Japan
Canada
France
Deutschland
India
Mexico
United Kingdom

--
Regards,
Touch Base

0
Touch
2/12/2009 10:37:43 PM
The microsoft site

http://officeliveoffers.com/affiliate/default.htm?
AID=10554589&PID=1260291&refid=cj

reminds me why I am migrating to linux. Here is what they say:

===
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or 7, running on Microsoft Windows XP,
Windows Server 2003 or Windows Vista. You can download Internet Explorer
from the Windows Internet Explorer page.

Mozilla Firefox running on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows
Vista, or Mac OS X 10.2.x and later. You can download Firefox from the
Firefox download page.
===

Since I am running Opera and linux, I can't use it.

I don't know much about computers, but why not Opera?

In fact, why not Linux? They are offering a domain name and hosting? Do
the technicalities of domains and hosting make it difficult to work with
Opera and Linux?

I can go to any commercial hosting service and get a domain name, and
they have no problem with the fact that I am running Opera and Linux.

My guess is that microsoft wrote some kind of elephantine code that needs
to get its hooks into certain non-opera, non-linux browsers and OSs and
that they feel it would take too much time and money to extend that to
opera and linux.

The elephantine code and the need to hook into the user's browser and OS,
result from the kind of corporate hardening of the arteries that has
landed the American auto companies on the verge of bankruptcy.

By the way, all I wanted to do was try the thing out, but the pointless
(from the point of view of a potential customer) restrictions underscore
microsoft's moribund state.

I doubt they will be around in 10 years, because no company can be so
bloody hamstrung in the way they build a service unless they are on a
path to corporate suicide, all the while thinking that the microsoft way
is the only way, and that they can't understand why anybody could be
unhappy with it.

Microsoft is a wounded elephant, still charging through the jungle, but
on its way down.
0
joe
2/12/2009 11:19:06 PM
"joe" <joe@nowre.com> wrote in message

> Since I am running Opera and linux, I can't use it.
>
> I don't know much about computers, but why not Opera?

Not sure - did you try Opera running on Windows?  I guess not, since
you are on Linux, but remember that this is a commercial outfit, so I
don't think it unreasonable for them to focus on their customers.

There might be others out there who will offer a free domain / website
/ email for non Windows users - not sure, but if you find any, please
do let us know.

> In fact, why not Linux? They are offering a domain name and hosting?
> Do
> the technicalities of domains and hosting make it difficult to work
> with
> Opera and Linux?

Definately not.  I have Linux on two machines, and I can confirm they
are able to access web pages.

> I can go to any commercial hosting service and get a domain name,
> and
> they have no problem with the fact that I am running Opera and
> Linux.
>
> My guess is that microsoft wrote some kind of elephantine code that
> needs
> to get its hooks into certain non-opera, non-linux browsers and OSs
> and
> that they feel it would take too much time and money to extend that
> opera and linux.
>
> The elephantine code and the need to hook into the user's browser
> and OS,
> result from the kind of corporate hardening of the arteries that has
> landed the American auto companies on the verge of bankruptcy.
>
> By the way, all I wanted to do was try the thing out, but the
> pointless
> (from the point of view of a potential customer) restrictions
> underscore
> microsoft's moribund state.
>
> I doubt they will be around in 10 years, because no company can be
> so
> bloody hamstrung in the way they build a service unless they are on
> path to corporate suicide, all the while thinking that the microsoft
> way
> is the only way, and that they can't understand why anybody could be
> unhappy with it.
>
> Microsoft is a wounded elephant, still charging through the jungle,
> but
> on its way down.

Or perhaps they are trying to sell some version of MS Office given
that it is officelive.com?

However, I was intrigued so I went and tried it out.

Very quick and easy.  From start to fnish I had an email address,
domain, and website setup in about 10 mins (website is blank template
to start with of course).

I think this is an absolutely superb thing for them to offer.  So easy
for a new / micro business to get up and running on the net, all in
one go, and absolutely no cash cost for the first year (after which it
is only $15pa anyway, and you can request a change of host if you want
to move from MelbourneIT at that time).

So, well done Microsoft, this is the kind of thing we need more of -
real practical help to get up and running.

Alan.

My unmunged email is:  1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com (valid for 30 days
min).  The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
Alan
2/13/2009 2:25:31 AM
Alan wrote:

> So, well done Microsoft, this is the kind of thing we need more of -
> real practical help to get up and running.
>
> Alan.

It's not an open hearted gesture..
it's to block Google and Internet2 and the
global possibility of remote users with
Google hosted websites and OS..easier
to index when all on Google machinery.
(afaict)
Google has something similar out there
if not now then shortly to announce.

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

0
NT
2/13/2009 2:32:12 AM
"NT Canuck" <remove_ntcanuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alan wrote:
>
>> So, well done Microsoft, this is the kind of thing we need more
>> of -
>> real practical help to get up and running.
>>
>> Alan.
>
> It's not an open hearted gesture..

I never imagined or implied it was - I specifically noted that they
are presumably using it to sell versions of MS Office.

I have no issue with that.

> it's to block Google and Internet2 and the
> global possibility of remote users with
> Google hosted websites and OS..easier
> to index when all on Google machinery.
> (afaict)
> Google has something similar out there
> if not now then shortly to announce.

If they have / do, please do post back, as I would love to try that
out too.

Same thing will apply of course - they will be wanting to make some
gain from it as well - no issue with that either!

Thanks,

Alan.

My unmunged email is:  1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com (valid for 30 days
min).  The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
Alan
2/13/2009 3:40:57 AM
Alan wrote:

> I never imagined or implied it was - I specifically noted that they are
> presumably using it to sell versions of MS Office.
>
> I have no issue with that.

Imo I think it's to eventually get us into
a subscription type of service, but only
time will tell where that ship lands. heh

Although as you said, having online access
from 'anywhere' could have a benefit for
'remote office' type of applications
although the security of both corporate
data and the hosting servers themselves
may be an issue at the moment.

> If they have / do, please do post back, as I would love to try that out
> too.

Where'd you go..oh, there you are..heh,
I had to scroll down. <g>
If I remember my post here >.< (just
marking the spot!), then I'll give a
shout but I'm sure there was something
around here somewhere..will check.

> Same thing will apply of course - they will be wanting to make some gain
> from it as well - no issue with that either!

Well, some reciprocal and useful exchange
(sort of entering the 'barter' age once more)
from MicroSoft or Google will be a welcome
shift for all of us at this end of stick. ;)

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

0
NT
2/13/2009 5:21:42 AM
> Alan wrote:
>
>> I never imagined or implied it was - I specifically noted that they
>> are presumably using it to sell versions of MS Office.
>>
>> I have no issue with that.
>
> Imo I think it's to eventually get us into
> a subscription type of service, but only
> time will tell where that ship lands. heh

I totally agree - I think they'd go entirely subscription / cloud
based if they could, but many people won't go with that I suspect.

> Although as you said, having online access
> from 'anywhere' could have a benefit for
> 'remote office' type of applications
> although the security of both corporate
> data and the hosting servers themselves
> may be an issue at the moment.
>
>> If they have / do, please do post back, as I would love to try that
>> out too.
>
> Where'd you go..oh, there you are..heh,
> I had to scroll down. <g>
> If I remember my post here >.< (just
> marking the spot!), then I'll give a
> shout but I'm sure there was something
> around here somewhere..will check.

Google do have their online 'docs' offering, so I guess that is close.

What they don't have is a free domain offering, so you still have to
register and point your domain at their servers at your own cost.
Perhaps they will 'catch up' with MS on this and offer a free domain
for a year too though - would be *very* compelling for many people I
think.

In fact, I guess it's worth watching Yahoo! too for something similar.

>> Same thing will apply of course - they will be wanting to make some
>> gain from it as well - no issue with that either!
>
> Well, some reciprocal and useful exchange
> (sort of entering the 'barter' age once more)
> from MicroSoft or Google will be a welcome
> shift for all of us at this end of stick. ;)

{Grin}

Alan.

My unmunged email is:  1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com (valid for 30 days
min).  The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
Alan
2/15/2009 4:48:30 AM
In all this talk about it, is Microsoft the domain registrar?  If so how hard would it be to transfer the domain to another?

Torrance
0
Torrance
2/15/2009 5:28:55 AM
"Torrance Bell" <starlite528@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In all this talk about it, is Microsoft the domain registrar?  If so
> how hard would it be to transfer the domain to another?
>
> Torrance

Hi Torrence,

As I understand it, they use MelbourneIT to handle the actual
registration.

I believe that anytime you like, you can request a domain 'password',
then use MIT's web-based system for taking direct control of your
domain registration, including requesting a move to a different
registrar (probably you'd do that from the new registrar, but that
might depend on them).

I haven't checked, but MIT's rates might be different to the $15pa
that MS is charging for the domain (after the first 12 months), and
I'm sure there are cheaper options out there, especially if you only
want registration services.

HTH,

Alan.

My unmunged email is:  1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com (valid for 30 days
min).  The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
Alan
2/15/2009 8:51:56 AM
> The words "free" and "Microsoft" don't often appear in the same
> sentence, so imagine my surprise at discovering this deal: a free
> custom domain name, free Web hosting, free e-mail accounts, and
> more.

> As you might expect from the name, Microsoft Office Live Basics
> has a decidedly business focus--but that doesn't mean you can't use
> it for a personal site.

> The freebie account includes not only the domain (any available
> .com, .net, .org, or .info address), but also site-building tools,
> reporting tools, project and document managers, 100 e-mail
> addresses, and collaboration-minded online workspaces. You get 500MB
> of storage, too.

"Custom domain name and business e-mail is free for the first year;
$14.95 annually thereafter"

I would also like to know how much design freedom one has, what server
side services are available, like PHP, ASP, etc. All I see mentioned
is the Microsoft Office Live Small Business service (whatever that
is).
--
Crash
Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.

0
Crash
2/15/2009 1:26:52 PM
""Crash" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in message

> "Custom domain name and business e-mail is free for the first year;
> $14.95 annually thereafter"
>
> I would also like to know how much design freedom one has, what
> server
> side services are available, like PHP, ASP, etc. All I see mentioned
> is the Microsoft Office Live Small Business service (whatever that
> is).

Hi Crash,

Not sure on any of those queries since I haven't tried, but given that
it is free, why not sign up and see if it will do what you want?

If it doesn't you can move your domain registration to someone else,
and you have lost nothing (that I can see) at least dollar-wise.

Alan.

My unmunged email is:  1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com (valid for 30 days
min).  The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
Alan

Host name and domain name
Hello, I've installed NSBS 6.0 but during the install I didn't know what to enter for Host Name, Domain Name and Name Server. For the Server Name I enrtered my ISP's DNS server IP. For the Host name I entered "pmc.srv" which is my Netware server name and for the domain name I entered "pmc.com". Now when I go to 192.168.0.1 I get the Welcome to Netware 6 page but if I click on "Open iFolder" to goes to http://pmc_srv.pmc.com:52080/index.html and "Cannot display page" comes up. iFolder works through the desktop client but I nee...

Host name Domain Name
When setting up a server I am asked for the Hostname.Domain name. If I want change the domain name at a later time to something else where can I do that? As always, thanks Coy Coy, > When setting up a server I am asked for the Hostname.Domain name. If I > want change the domain name at a later time to something else where can I > do that? The places that come to mind off hand are sys:etc\hosts , sys:etc\hostname , sys:etc\resolv.cfg , and in the DNS certificate. Of course, depending on the other applications installed there will be other locations - eg fo...

how to change the Host Name Domain Name
Due to a poor initial planning I would like to change the Server host Name/Domain Name so I can do a DNS resolve. How can I do that whitout having to reinstall the OS. Thanks SYS:ETC\RESOLV.CFG is the file you need. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Getting error when Domain name pointing to dnn folder on 1and1 hosting
   I have sucessfully installed DNN on 1and1 in a subfolder. I can access it and work with DNN via my account address (which is http://s23931543.onlinehome.us/dnn). However, when I point domain.com name to my DNN instalation folder (/dnn) I get the error as below. Here is what I did: 1.I setup up a new parent portal and added portal alieses: domain.com and www.domain.com to that portal. 2.In web control panel of 1and1 I setup domain.com to point to /dnn folder(where my DNN is setup). For some reason error does not show up even though I have custom error&nbs...

ContextType.Domain gets PrincipalServerDownException unless specify domain controller by name
Hi There Just trying out the new System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition.  My scenario:  -Client Windows XP joined to domain -One Windows Server 2003 domain controller / IIS  I want to get the full name of the logged in user. This works if I specify the domain controller name. Specifying the domain name (either fully qualified or NETBIOS) does not work. Any suggestions ? Am I doing something wrong here.   My working code is like this:   Dim domainContext As New System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalCo...

450 host not found when using domain name for outbound relay host
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We are getting 450 errors can not connect to host (outbounds5.obsmtp.com) = on the gwia. This is our outbound relay host. If I change the settings = for the GWIA to use the resolved IP address 12.158.34.250, the mail goes = out fine. FYI: This started after we changed ISPs requiring us to change the = external addresses that our firewall translates (NAT). I already tried = updating sys:etc\resolve.cfg to use the new nameservers, reinitialized and = restart...

Get Host Name
I use this line of code to get the host name from a system:  System.Net.IPHostEntry obj = new IPHostEntry(); obj = Dns.GetHostByName(Request.UserHostAddress); String HostName = obj.HostName.ToString(); and this retrieves this Host Name: bea-som.corp.bea.org   However from my client application I call this:  System.Net.Dns.GetHostName() and this retrieves the host name as: bea-som   What changes do I make to either the C# client application or website so that both of them take the same host name ?Dont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post tha...

Getting the domain name
Hello, We have a fairly simple redirect script a url is entered, and even tho there are directions to not enter the "http://www" sometimes we get it or "http://"... what is the simplest method to extract just the domain name if a "http://www.somedomain_name.com" or "http://somedomain_name.com" is enter so we can extract just the "somedomain_name.com" thx's -- Mike<mickalo>Blezien =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Thunder Rain Internet Publishing Providing Internet Solutions that work! http://www.thunder-...

Getting a domain name.
Where would you buy a .com domain name from? On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:18:54 +0000, Arthur wrote: > Where would you buy a .com domain name from? There are a whole lot of choices most of which are good. We have settled on Domain Monger. I use www.networksolutions.com, that way you actually own the domain, you have to be careful with some third party domain registration companies as they register the domain on your behalf. but set themselves up as the owner. So if you want to move things or mange the domain you have to deal with them. and trying to get the ownership becomes a h...

Getting the domain name
Hello, We have a fairly simple redirect script a url is entered, and even tho there are directions to not enter the "http://www" sometimes we get it or "http://"... what is the simplest method to extract just the domain name if a "http://www.somedomain_name.com" or "http://somedomain_name.com" is enter so we can extract just the "somedomain_name.com" thx's -- Mike<mickalo>Blezien =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Thunder Rain Internet Publishing Providing Internet Solutions that work! http://www.thunder-ra...

Getting Domain Name
How do you capture the domain name from within PB? I assume win api is needed, does anyone know the call? Mike, Since no one has answered you, you might check out FUNCky for PB... the FUNCky.Domain() method returnes the logged in Domain name. Its a little annoying to do through the Win Api so you might save some headaches using an add-on. -Dirk [FUNCky Developer] [dLESKO Inc.] <-- Got FUNCky? Get it now at http://www.funcky.com. FUNCky Rocks! --> Here's another easy way -- using the Microsoft Scripting Host (installed with Win98 and W2K, and also avai...

Get domain name
I am tryng to find the simplest way to get the domain name of the site that some code is running under, on the web I find this: Environment.UserDomainName.ToString Which always returns my server hostname... not what I want..Ask One/Answer One.  maybe something like dis? string url = Request.Url.AbsolutePath; orRequest.Url.DnsSafeHost +Lvl FIVE THOUSAND DRAGON MASTER SOFTWARE ENGINEER my friends call me MOI You can get the hostname from a HttpRequest, e.g.  Page.Request.Url.Host if you are executing in a aspx page.The problem is that since the site may be running with se...

How to host a domain name
 Hi,I would like to know what are the various steps in hosting a domain? Once the domain is hosted, what happens next? When I referred to some web hosting sites, I could see something like transferring domains, registering domains etc..What is all these about? Can someone please help me out in figuring out as to what are the detailed procedures in hosting a domain. I would also like to develop a software which automates the process of buying a domain from an account, checks the hit for that domain for 2 days, and cancel the domain from the software if does not exceed the desired nu...

host/domain name
HiIs there any difference between Request.url.host and request.servervariables["host_name"]?Do they both return same values in every circumstances?Finally, If there is any difference between them, which one should I use to build a url in my application?  Hi, Both are same you can use any oneSatalajWatch The true story of internet ||Yet another forum |||I'm big fan of Open source flash chart for .net very very simple I n t e r v i e w T i p s ...

Web resources about - Get a free domain name and hosting from Microsoft - grc.linkfarm

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message