Error message indicates that a file on the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is required to continue the upgrade to Windows XP Professional SP2

followup to grc.techtalk

Error message indicates that a file on the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is
required to continue the upgrade to Windows XP Professional SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894726

Article ID      :       894726
Last Review     :       March 2, 2005
Revision        :       2.

SYMPTOMS
When you try to upgrade your computer from Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 2 (SP2) to Windows XP Professional SP2, you receive an error
message that is similar to the following:
The file 'file_name' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed. Type the
path where the file is located, and then click OK.
Note The file_name file may be the Csv.xs_ file, or it may be a different
file.

When this symptom occurs, you cannot continue with the upgrade.

CAUSE
This problem may occur if the following conditions are true:
* The security database is corrupted.
* The original Windows XP Home SP2 installation did not have the hotfix that
is described in the following article integrated into its source files:

884018 You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018

WORKAROUND
When you experience this problem, you cannot continue the upgrade to Windows
XP Professional. Instead, follow these steps.

Note Before you start, make sure that your files are backed up.
1.      Use the Windows XP Professional SP2 CD-ROM to restart your computer.
2.      Perform a full installation of Windows XP Professional SP2.

Note If the CD-ROM from step 1 is an upgrade version of Windows XP
Professional SP2, you may be prompted to insert a CD-ROM for an earlier
operating system to verify upgrade compliance. In this scenario, remove the
Windows XP Professional SP2 CD-ROM from your computer's CD drive, and then
insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM. For additional information
about how to install or to upgrade to Windows XP, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

316941 How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

[...]

Unquote

Kayode Okeyode
http://del.icio.us/kayodeok
0
kayodeok
3/3/2005 8:02:24 AM
grc.linkfarm 6478 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Microsoft to Release Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N in Europe
REDMOND, Wash. - June 8, 2005 - Microsoft Corp. today announced the timetable for availability of Windows� XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N, the two versions of the Windows operating system created as part of the company's compliance with the European Commission's decision of March 2004. Originally released to computer makers in January 2005, the latest versions of the XP operating systems without Windows Media Player follow further clarifications from the European Commission. These products will be made available to computer manufacturers on June 15 in English, ...

Windows XP stops responding and you receive a stop error message after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
Windows XP stops responding and you receive a stop error message after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888413 ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 888413 Last Review : March 7, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) on a Windows XP-based computer, Windows XP stops responding and you receive a stop error message. CAUSE This problem may occur after you ins...

Disabling Windows File Protection in Windows 2000 and Windows XP
This short article is intended to clear up confusion about how to disable Windows File Protection. I've seen errant information posted in many places and felt it necessary to sum up the truth of the matter. When Windows File Protection was first introduced in Windows 2000 I found it bothersome. After doing some research on how to disable it I was surprised to learn that Microsoft only provided a mechanism to do so when a kernel debugger is active by setting the SFCDisable registry value to 1 or 2 . The MSDN article describing this is here: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb...

Client 4.9 sp2 and Windows 2000 upgrade to Windows XP
I have several Windows 2000 computers with Novell Client 4.9 sp2 and I need to upgrade them Windows XP. I ran the upgrade on one PC and during the "Installing Network" portion of the upgrade I was asked to load several programs or files from the Novell CD. I know all these files are already on the computer. Is there a way to not have to manually tell the install to look for all these files? We have always uninstalled the novell client prior to doing a windows os upgrade. we either copy the setup files onto the c: partition or after the upgrade use the windows clie...

Problem with SmtpMail with Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Microsoft Windows XP Professional
have this problem when use the Imports System.Web.Mail  If CStr("Microsoft Windows XP Professional").Equals(Session("SO")) Then                     Dim objectEmail As New MailMessage()                                         objectEmail.From = from.text                  ...

Installing Visual Studio 2005 Professional on Windows XP Professional Pack 2
I had to format my hard disk and start installing everything again. I forgot the details of the procedure for installation of Visual Studio 2005 Professional ( I am getting old  8^( ) I already installed .NET framework 2.0. 1) Should now I install  FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions  or it is not necessary anymore ? 2) After that, I intuitively think that I should install first SQL Server 2005 and only later the Visual Studio 2005. Am I correct ? 3) Is there any additional software that I need to install or specific settings that I need to do before  installing Visual ...

windows xp professional
Hello, I just purchased a Dell optiplex os xp pro for my office. I am running on a novell environment. I tried to load client 4.91 and it would not work. Tree could not be found. I uninstall client 4.91 and install client 4.83 sp 2 which is the version we are running on all my other computers, but it still will not connect to the network, Tree not found. I checked all the properties on novell client config to make sure that it is the same as my other computers that worked but I cant seem to get this computer to hook up to my server. Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John On ...

wpdomain file error after installing Windows XP sp2
Has anyone expirenced a problem access the groupwise manager in Console one after installing Windows xp SP2 ? I keep getting an error of: "Error Opening Groupwise Domain database" But if I do it on a windows 98 or an xp box that has not patched up to sp2 it works just fine... I even updated the Java machine, and also console one to 1.3.6c Any ideas? Might want to post this in the groupwise forum -andy --____YAKEOKQXYHOWVKLBFPTG____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable There are no management grou...

Access to a file under wwwroot, using Windows XP Professional
Hi, I am trying to access an xml file during Begin_Request, but I get the following error: Server Error in '/Application' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Access to the path "X:\dotnet\Web\Application\Source\wwwroot" is denied. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "X...

Free Upgrade to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Free Upgrade to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft� Windows� x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program The Technology Advancement Program is designed to assist customers who have acquired a new x64 Computer with the intention of replacing a previously licensed 32-bit version of Microsoft� Windows� XP Professional (1-2 Processor Version) Microsoft� Windows� XP Professional (1-4 Processor ...

how to install Visual Studio 2005 professional and SQL Server 2005 in Windows XP Professional????
plz step by step..i m new to VS..plzzzzz check here for vs2005 http://www.exforsys.com/tutorials/asp.net-2.0/installing-visual-studio.net-2005.html and check here for sql server 2005 http://www.exforsys.com/tutorials/sql-server-2005.htmlPlese, do not forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. Thanx!My blog: Scenes From A Developer Memory...

Console Error Logging into GWDOMAIN after upgrading to windows XP sp2
--____EEDGCOMBATBTSJAGNPNK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I just installed windows xp SP2 and noticed I am not able to administer = any of the groupwise system using console one. It errors out and says = "Error Opening Groupwise Domain database". I have the latest version of JAVA and Console One, 1.3.6c When I try this on a pc that is either an older operating system, or does = not have SP 2 it works just fine. Any ideas why? Tony --____EEDGCOMBATBTSJAGNPNK____ Content-Type: multipart/related; bou...

Upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP
I have a server and workstations running on Netware 5 and Windows 98. I recently upgraded one workstation to Windows XP. All the Windows 98 workstations still work fine. The Windows XP workstation using Microsoft Client for Netware sees the sys on the server as drive F: but no other drives are mapped.The other workstations have the sys mapped as several other drives( M: & N:) for different programs. The Windows XP workstation also does not load nwadmin32 and NPrinter does not load to share printers. How do I get drives M; and N:? How do I share printers (get NPrinter to ...

Web resources about - Error message indicates that a file on the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is required to continue the upgrade to Windows XP Professional SP2 - grc.linkfarm

Professional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, occupations such as skilled construction ...

Richie McCaw ends All Blacks career with retirement from professional rugby
Richie McCaw departs with global acknowledgement as the game's finest flanker, one of the best players of all time and as an outstanding leader. ...

Thousands of health professionals 'actively monitored' to protect public: AHPRA
Thousands of health professionals are being actively monitored by authorities because they have a criminal history, drug problem, health impairment, ...

Adobe creative professionals offer first hands-on impressions using iPad Pro
Adobe is one company patiently waiting for the launch of the new iPad Pro as the firm in recent months has prepared for what it expects to be ...

Sandra Smith Says Fox Biz Will ‘Host A Professional, Informative Debate’
Tomorrow night’s GOP debate on Fox Business Network is arguably the most important night in the history of the network. It’s the first time the ...

A Bold and Textured Bachelor Pad — Professional Project
Pin it Project by: Denise Wilson Location: New York, New York Now this is how you do texture! From the walls, to the rugs, to the pillows there ...

Why aren’t there more professional apps for the iPad Pro?
Much has been made about the lack of professional software for the iPad Pro so far. This is a problem that doesnt look to go away anytime soon, ...

Michael Fassbender is so sexy, even professional horses get turned on
Just in case anyone needed some Michael Fassbender today, I wanted to cover these two clips from this weekend’ Graham Norton Show . Personally, ...

American Airlines Loses Professional Dancer’s $250K Prosthetic Leg, Finds It In Another Country
If you thought the airline losing your suitcase of souvenirs was rough, imagine if they lost a bag with your prosthetic leg. That’s apparently ...

What Does the Trans Pacific Partnership Mean for Supply Chain Professionals?
Since Friday, the ARC Advisory Group’s Clint Reiser has spent a good deal of time reviewing how the TPP trade agreement will impact logistics ...