PEER-TO-PEER

Howdy Security minded people!!!       Iwas wondering , How much Peer -to
-peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE alarm,
TpF , and SYgate.?????????  Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the PORT 139
NETBIOS   feature that is SO intrinsic  to FILESHARING ?? ,ala  GNUTELLA
, GROKSTER ,IMESH ,KAZZA ?????????????
0
sstu
6/1/2003 11:45:00 PM
grc.leaktest 513 articles. 0 followers. Follow

sstu wrote:
> Howdy Security minded people!!!       Iwas wondering , How much Peer
> -to -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE
> alarm, TpF , and SYgate.?????????  Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the
> PORT 139 NETBIOS   feature that is SO intrinsic  to FILESHARING ??
> ,ala  GNUTELLA , GROKSTER ,IMESH ,KAZZA ?????????????

Best to go to grc.security.software newsgroup for answers.    Also on your
local ISP news server comp.security.firewalls

Basic answer is that port 139 NetBIOS is blocked but the other apps use
diferent ports.
0
YK
6/2/2003 12:32:00 AM
As for TPF...  A window will pop up asking you if you want to allow such &
such to enter or exit your PC. All you have to do is click either yes or
no...quite simple actually...

"sstu" <stuonyxi@localnet.com> wrote in message
Howdy Security minded people!!!       Iwas wondering , How much Peer -to
-peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE alarm,
TpF , and SYgate.?????????  Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the PORT 139
NETBIOS   feature that is SO intrinsic  to FILESHARING ?? ,ala  GNUTELLA
, GROKSTER ,IMESH ,KAZZA ?????????????
0
Rip
6/28/2003 12:43:00 AM
for p2p try using es5
"Rip Torin" <Rip@grapecountry.ca> wrote in message
> As for TPF...  A window will pop up asking you if you want to allow such &
> such to enter or exit your PC. All you have to do is click either yes or
> no...quite simple actually...
>

> "sstu" <stuonyxi@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Howdy Security minded people!!!       Iwas wondering , How much Peer -to
> -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE alarm,
> TpF , and SYgate.?????????  Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the PORT 139
> NETBIOS   feature that is SO intrinsic  to FILESHARING ?? ,ala  GNUTELLA
> , GROKSTER ,IMESH ,KAZZA ?????????????

0
reh

Peer to Peer
Hi, I am studying a new Peer2Peer project and I have some concerns that speed limit cannot be done. I mean. The software can show the download (or upload) is using n% ( n<30) of your bandwidth but in fact it's using all of it. If I get the project, I will use Delphi + Indy. But first I would like to know from you if you can control your bandwidth through a software? TIA, Clément Hi, You generally cant control the peak bandwidth use (unless you have the intention to hack the network card in use). You can however control the bandwidth use over time. You do th...

peer to peer
Hi guys I don't have to reset my home peer to peer often so I have totally forgotten how to do it. I am running win98se with all the updates, thin Ethernet cable Ethernet cards in each machine. The computer tells me that the ports, irq, and mem address match between hardware and software, the workgroup names are the same. I can see the one computer name in nhood on each machine but not both names on each machine. I uninstalled ZAF and moved the IE6.0 beta INTRANET security to low. This was working yesterday I installed a new copy of Win98se on my wife's machine which hadn...

Ghost peer to peer
Sometimes we ghost image 1 machine from another (peer to peer). If I do this with ZCM, what must I do to the freshly imaged machine to have registration, etc. work correctly? -- willmw ------------------------------------------------------------------------ willmw, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or che...

Peer 2 Peer
Hi, is there any quick guide about using P2P functionality in 3.8?, i've been using unison between 2 hosts and worked well so far. Now I need to sync 4 machines with the same data and I guess iFolder would do a better job. Regards, -- ciriarte ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ciriarte, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Vis...

Peer to peer connection
Hi, I'm trying to make a program to transfer files between my pc and another that is behind a router. My side will act as master and the other just as a slave, serving what master asks without user interference. I know that the easiest way is to run a idTCPserver at the slave side and a idTCPclient at master's side, but this needs to forward the used port at the router. I want to keep out of this. So I try the reverse way. A idTCPclient at slave side and idTCPserver at my side as master (in my side I can forward ports). Starting the slave it connects to master-server. Af...

Peer to Peer Issues
I have a small network operating behind a NAT router, OSs consist of XP home and Ubuntu Linux. On my NAT router I have tended to block all ports outbound and open up as required. In the UK many TV networks operate a Peer to Peer system to allow viewers to catch up on TV programs after the initial broadcast. What are the main security issues with this, I understand P2P as effectively allowing anyone access to my PC but assume this is Read Only and only a specific directory. To date I have tended to use the streaming service but quality is less than obtaining the entire p...

Peer to Peer Option
--____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Tue, 20 Feb 2006 10:29:28 +0000" Hi, Does anyone know how to setup the iFolder 3.2 peer to peer option? on the = iFolder website (www.ifolder.com) it says it is contained in the source = downloads. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. Steve. --____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____" --____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____ ...

Peer to peer with XP
I'm back to my never ending network server dilemma... I last left off building a new server computer running W2Kpro and Metadot portal intranet server. It has been working well but not in active use, it's sitting on my bench running everything and backing itself up every night. Problem with Metadot is a) I cannot get direct file access to the HD. b) It's way more than we need. We basically just want to have access to shared MS access, word and excel docs on the server and be able to open them on any local PC. In the Win9x days this is what worked, but since the addi...

peer to peer programming
Hi, Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer applications in perl? (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) If it is possible to do it in perl, please tell me where I can find more about it if you know. Thank you. Octavian On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 20:45 +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer > applications in perl? > (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) > > If it is possible to do it in perl, plea...

Peer to peer applications
Am facing a problem in developing peer to peer appln. first of all a machine has two ips(one private visible in intranet like 192.168.0.121 and second public ip visible in internet 10.2.2.3).now i need to connect to a peer located at remote place with the same criteria(two ips).The problem is i cnt go through the public ip to internal ip.On reading some articles on net i came to know the technique used to connect through public ip to private ip is termed as "HOLE PUNCHING"/"PORT FORWARDING".can some one help me on this issue? r is there any alternative other than this.I have to do it progra...

Hamachi
Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. Geoff Lane Geoff Lane wrote: > Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the > understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on > to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. > > Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. > > Geoff Lane > I'm not sure...

peer to peer with mynew xp
I got a new notebook, with my first use of xp. Our small lan is all w98se. When I plug in the notebook and set up an ip address, I can ping all the computers both ways but can't do the file share. from what I read xp doesn't use netbeui, but does install netbios which is used for the lan file and machine access. However, a few of the articles I read on this say xp has to install the netBEUI to work with win98 machines, yet MS discontinues support or recommendation of using thie proto. I see xp does supply the netbeui as an add on but since it is not part of the sta...

Peer to Peer on Novell network
We are having a problem running DBSrv50 on a Win95 machine on a Novell network. We get an error message that the server name is already in use or is running, yet there is no other sqlany server running on the network. (It works if I change the server name) Any idea why this might occur? The database server names gets registered with the Netware servers. To prevent this problem use the following parameter when you start the db server: -x IPX{SEARCHBINDERY=NO} -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer Solutions, Inc. Houston, TX See you at the Powersoft User Conference in August - http:...

Peer to peer support for Oracle
I don't know where to get help with this Oracle startup problem. I'm now semi-retired and am a hobby programmer. I have no longer access to Metalink as I had when working. Up until now, I have used a HUAWEI dongle directly connected to my PC. First, the operating system and Oracle start up, then I connect to the internet using Huawei Mobile Partner. Any application can connect to Oracle and use it correctly. All OK. Now I have added a 3G router which is connected to the PC by ethernet cable and has the Huawei dongle connected to a USB port on the router. All works corr...

Web resources about - PEER-TO-PEER - grc.leaktest

Peer-to-peer file sharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peer-to-peer file sharing is the distribution and sharing of digital documents and computer files using the technology of peer-to-peer (P2P) ...

Peer-to-Peer Technology : What are some of the peer-to-peer consumer startups?
Answer (1 of 26): Here's an interesting infographic via showing the rise of consumer p2p across categories with a bunch of examples in each category.(via ...

Lifelink – The Peer-to-Peer Life Counter for Magic: The Gathering on the App Store on iTunes
Get Lifelink – The Peer-to-Peer Life Counter for Magic: The Gathering on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Peer-To-Peer Networks Go Legit
The technology best known for pirating movies, music and software online is increasingly being adopted by businesses as a cheap way to get video ...

Peer-to-peer lender lets you name your own deposit rate
It would be good if you can set your own deposit rate. Wait &#8211; you can.

T-Mobile to throttle customers using unlimited data plans for peer-to-peer file sharing
... An alleged internal memo obtained by TmoNews details how the company will address customers suspected of using its network to access peer-to-peer ...

Morgan Stanley says peer-to-peer loans will soar to $22b in Australia by 2020
The value of loans made through peer-to-peer lending platforms in Australia will surge to $22 billion in the next five years, says investment ...

RelayRides Brings Its Peer-to-Peer Car Rentals to the Airport
... out of town rent out their cars to visitors while they were gone, it seemed kind of like a “ RelayRides for airports ,” bringing the peer-to-peer ...

Peer-To-Peer Proselytizing
Atul Gawande’s article on how innovations spread has inspired Brett Keller, a global health worker who started as a missionary, to consider how ...

Google Updates 'A Journey Through Middle-earth' Chrome Experiment With Multiplayer Peer-To-Peer Battles ...
When you've already created a browser-based interactive experience that lets players explore a 3D recreation of various locales spread throughout ...