Reserve Table Space / Use All Space Questions

XE3 version 11.0.4.820

Will using a database with the *Reserve Table Space* set to ‘No’ on a large database (10 GB) with lots of activity / updating would cause issues with performance with Interbase?

Will using the XE3 database with the *Reserve Table Space* set to ‘No’ cause any long term issues?

Gbak has the *–use_all_space* which I imagine the existence of the parameter is same as IBConsole’s ‘Use All Space’ set to true?

IBConsole has the Use All Space  (false is default or true). Are there any differences between a default restore using gbak compared to ibconsole?
0
Jeff
2/11/2015 4:37:42 PM
embarcadero.interbase.general 923 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Jeff Cope wrote:
> Will using a database with the*Reserve Table Space*  set to ‘No’ on a large database (10 GB) with lots of activity / updating would cause issues with performance with Interbase?

Yes, it could cause performance issues.

> Will using the XE3 database with the*Reserve Table Space*  set to ‘No’ cause any long term issues?

Just performance.

> Gbak has the *–use_all_space* which I imagine the existence of the parameter is same as IBConsole’s ‘Use All Space’ set to true?

Yes, they do the same thing.

> IBConsole has the Use All Space  (false is default or true). Are there any differences between a default restore using gbak compared to ibconsole?

Speaking as someone who only uses IBConsole when forced, I don't know
how the defaults compare. I'd have to go look at them all manually.
However, there is one big difference I know of off the top of my head.
IBConsole uses the services API, where as gbak only uses the services
API if you using the -se option. The services API should be
significantly faster for large databases.
0
quinn

UNIX file system free space, used space, total space
Anyone have an idea about getting UNIX file system free space, used space, total space numbers without having to resort to something like the following ( which gets the percent of used space for a command-line supplied file system name stored in the variable ${file_sys} ): $per_used = `df -k | grep " ${file_sys}\$" | awk '{print \$5}'`; > Anthony (Tony) Esposito > Senior Technical Consultant > Inovis(tm), formerly Harbinger and Extricity > 2425 N. Central Expressway, Suite 900 > Richardson, TX 75080 > (972) 643-3115 > tony.esposito@ino...

space restriction (negative space in use)
I have NW6.0 SP4 and have space restriction enabled on NSS volume. The "space in use column" show negative numbers, any ideas how to fix this issue? Thanks. TID10074366 ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ Dave Parkes wrote: > 10074366 This TID takes me to http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/qna/nss.html There is a link "Wierd NSS Stats" which tells me to click on a link to 10074366. That link tells me: The document /10074366.htm is no longer available at support.novell...

Great gap between Est. Temp Space Used and Act. Temp Space Used
Hi all, I have a question about the Est. Temp Space Used and Act. Temp Space Used, from the query plan, I found the estimated temp space is 200% of the actual temp space Est. Temp Space Used (Mb) 4722.6 Act. Temp Space Used (Mb) 1948.6 This make it difficult to set QUERY_TEMP_SPACE_LIMIT as the resources is very tight, do you have any idea to make the estimation of the temp space used more accurate? Version: 12.7.0/080707/P/ESD 5/MS/Windows 2003/64bit Keith Ma wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a question about the Est. Temp Space Used and Act. Temp Space Use...

Space in Use Negative with Space Restrictions
Using Console 1.3.6 I seem to get quite a few users who have a Space in Use statistic with a negative value therefore allowing them to save a lot more info in their home directories than the restriction should allow. Is there an issue in Console One or is it that the space restrictions on the volume are not working properly? Thanks for any enlightenment on this subject. Ben. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ben Davis - Computer Systems Manager Christian Outreach College Brisbane email: ben@brisbane.coc.edu.au WWW: http://www....

Space used by table
Hi, Does anyone have script to get the total space used by each table and which does not prvide header details? I basically want something like table 1 rows space table 2 rows space I need to be able to manipulate through SQL. The ASE 12.5.3. db is on windows. My thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide. Puvendran Grab a copy of the source code for the sp_spaceused stored proc, figure out how it calculates space usage numbers, then cut-n-paste-n-mutilate the appropriate parts from sp_spa...

space used by a table
When creating a clustered index, from the reference manual: "To create a clustered index, Adaptive Server duplicates the existing data; the server deletes the original data when the index is complete. Before creating a clustered index, use sp_spaceused to make sure that the database has at least 120 percent of the size of the table available as free space." However, which space is the "size" of the table? Is it data, or data + reserved when accounting for free space on the database to allow a successful 'create clustered index' ? Jesus M. Salvo Jr...

Line spacing, word spacing, char spacing
I already found out line , word and char spacing are not foreseen in GDI+.According to some websites, the MeasureString method does not work the way it should. (which I could use to manually change the X/Y positions etc.)Does anyone know of a component that will do the trick?And preferrably not one that will cost me hundreds of euros :)All I want to do is put some text on an image ...The only problem being is that line, word and char spacing are strict requirement.Seems easy, but I'm quite desperate so thank you for your early reply....

How do I Move a table to another table space ASA 9.02.3207 reclaim unused space
Without doing an unload reload is there a utility to move a table to another table space? How do I recover unused space from a table space? Thanks. Additionally, is there a setting to automatically over flow the system table space to another space at a particular size? I have noticed when a table space get above 30 Gb the Server becomes very sluggish even though there are many tables that make up the table space. "Gordon Johnson" <gjohnson@intellimed.com> wrote in message news:4372c019$1@forums-2-dub... > Without doing an unload reload is the...

Determine space used by a table and index
Hi all, i try to determine the space used by a table incl. its index space. I find the pagecnt column in systabstats and know about the pagesize of 2K. So memory used by data (or clustered index) can derive by (pagecnt x pagesize). But I do not know how to derive information about (non-clustered) indices and the space reserved (not used by any data/index). Thanks all Use the sp_spaceused stored procedure, it can break out the usage by index. -bret Thomas_H wrote: > > Hi all, > > i try to determine the space used by a table incl. its index space. I find...

How much disk space is a table using?
How can I find out how much disk space a table is really using in SQL Anywhere? Thank you, Mark One way to do this is to run "dbinfo -u -c <connection-parms>" which will tell you how many pages are used to hold the data in each table in your database, and the %used in those pages. Multiply the number of pages by your page size time %used and that tells use how much space is being used to hold your table data. Read more about dbinfo at http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fdbadmin_en11%2Fdbinfo.html%23d4e42186 -- Mark Culp SQL...

Table in a DB space is corrupt (corrupt page). Reload only DB space ???
Hi, My question: In case of an invalid corrupt table in a DB space (corrupt page). Have I to rebuild the complete database or is it sufficient to reload only the effected DB space? Thanks, Carsten SQL Anywhere has no mechanism to repair a single page or table. I would restore from a backup and reapply the transaction logs. Glenn PleaseDoNotReply@elomagic.de wrote: > Hi, > My question: > In case of an invalid corrupt table in a DB space (corrupt page). Have > I to rebuild the complete database or is it sufficient to reload only > the effected DB space? >...

Using Regular Expression Validator for removing consecutive white spaces with single white space
Hi I had a textbox feild in which I want to remove consecutive white spaces with single white spaces from beginning,end and middle of text and I want to use Regular Expression Validator to do this Looking out for some Help Kartik Hi,Regular Expression Validator will not remove the space.It will throw a client side validation.To remove space use Trim method on server side.Virendra (MCTS)My Site, Blog Hi! If you want to do it on server side then following is the vb.net code: Imports System.Text.RegularExpressions -----------------------------------------Dim r As Regex = New Reg...

I can't move a table from system dp space to another db space!
help me ,thanks! "strong" <nie.cs@163.net> wrote: >help me ,thanks! Unfortunately, ALTER TABLE doesn't let you change the dbspace name. However, you can use ALTER TABLE to rename the current table, CREATE TABLE to create a new table with the old name in the other dbspace, INSERT INTO with SELECT to copy rows from the current table to the new table, and then DROP TABLE to get rid of the current table. Breck You might want to consider rebuilding the database then. Use DBUNLOAD or Sybase Central to unload the database and the structure. Once that ...

How can I know disk space used by a table and an index?
How can I know disk space used by a table and an index? ASE 11.9.2 TIA sp_spaceused <tablename> gives ballpark sizes for data and index. Update stats updates this information but it is also updated periodically as it grows as well. HTH Meg > How can I know disk space used by a table and an index? > > ASE 11.9.2 > > TIA > > sp_spaceused <table_name> [ ,1 ] The ',1' option will give you a breakdown by index. Without the ',1' option all index space usage is rolled up into a single number. Manuel Esp...

Web resources about - Reserve Table Space / Use All Space Questions - embarcadero.interbase.general

The security questions that every company should be asking in 2015
With more businesses operating online than ever before, security has moved from physical to virtual. Ensuring the safety of the details of your ...

Submit your questions for Autoblog Podcast #460
Filed under: Podcasts We're recording Autoblog Podcast #460 this week, and our main focus will be answering our listeners' questions. Submit ...

General Question
I have a Carrier furnace. It takes 20x25x5 air filters. Does it really matter what brand filter I buy?

Want to land a job at Netflix? You’ll have to answer these tough questions first
Netflix sounds like an incredibly cool place to work if you're a software engineer but they don't let just anybody come in to code for them. ...

Hillary's communications director Jen Palmieri sounded utterly terrified facing questions from George ...
Palmieri should have been perfectly prepared. She's the communications director so she should be an ace at communications. She knew the precise ...

31 tough interview questions you'll have to answer if you want to work at Netflix
New year, new job? If you want to work at Netflix, you might have to answer some hard interview questions first. Using Glassdoor's information ...

Questions raised about San Bernardino shooter's visa
Chair of House Judiciary Committee says immigration officials had insufficient evidence to issue Tashfeen Malik a visa to enter the U.S.

“R. Kelly walked out of a HuffPo interview after some awkward questions” links
R. Kelly walked out of HuffPo interview after being asked some awkward questions about his fans’ reactions to his sexual assault of minors. [Dlisted] ...

Juniper faces questions about spying code planted in software
The discovery of spying code nestled deeply in Juniper's networking equipment, the latest example of a major IT vendor caught up in an damaging ...