Not buying RAD Studio XE, have renewed Delphi Prism SA

I bought Delphi Prism last year. I also have Delphi 2010.

My original plan was to use Delphi Prism for some hobbyist projects (this worked well) and learn some Delphi so I'd be prepared for the eventual crossplatform release of Delphi. I don't know C++ nor did I ever want to learn it.

Then Delphi XE came out and wasn't crossplatform.

I thought about this. My original plan was to upgrade to RAD Studio 2011 (now named XE) and get my new version of Delphi prism as well as crossplatform Delphi (as well as C++ Builder). But the XE improvements over Delphi 2010 have no value for me.

So I renewed my SA for Delphi Prism and will wait another year. When Delphi Prism SA runs out next year, I'll again consider upgrading to RAD Studio.

The SA renewal for Delphi Prism cost me EUR 300. An upgrade to RAD Studio plus SA would cost me EUR 1100. I'll take it as a given that I will renew Delphi Prism next year. It's a very convincing product if you have a Mac but program on Windows. I hope (and predict) that Prism will support MonoMac when Novell release it. (Delphi Prism currently uses Monobjc, which is also a well-working bridge that impressed me so much that I even donated money to the effort. It is that good!)

Given that I'll be out EUR 300 again next year for Prism, RAD Studio really only has to be worth EUR 800 to me to convince me to upgrade. Currently that isn't the case. But with crossplatform and/or 64 bit support (64 bit is really a type of crossplatform), it likely will be.

And here's the thing about prices. Delphi Prism is somewhat unaffected by the expensive Delphi paradigm. Not because it costs less than (native) Delphi but because the product targets a different audience.

Delphi (native so) targets mostly existing Delphi users and perhaps the odd Delphi Prism wanderer or a few VB coders who want to stay native but don't want to learn C++. The high price pretty much makes sure that noone currently trying to decide between .NET, Visual C++, REALbasic and Delphi would go for Delphi.

But Delphi Prism is from the customer's perspective pretty much an add-on to C# or VB.NET. I doubt anybody would decide to buy Delphi Prism to start programming for .NET (unless they are a Mac user), but I do think many already familiar with Visual Studio (and now MonoDevelop) see Delphi Prism as an extension to what they can already do. It adds another language to Visual Studio as well as supported templates for Linux and Mac targets. Yes, that's worth money.

So keep up the good work, Prism team, and TRY to tell your native partners to get things done!
0
Andrew
9/6/2010 11:44:13 AM
embarcadero.delphiprism 374 articles. 0 followers. Follow

RAD Studio XE: the relevant links for RAD Studio, Delphi, C++ Builder, Prism, RadPHP [what's new, features, downloads...]
What's New in Delphi and C++Builder XE http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/What's_New_in_Delphi_and_C%2B%2BBuilder_XE RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and RadPHP XE are available now! http://blogs.embarcadero.com/davidi/2010/08/30/40114/ audio - Dr. Dobbs's talks with Michael Rozlog about RAD Studio XE Release http://www.drdobbs.com/tv/index.jhtml?bctid=594150880001&bcpid=64699398001 Webinar: What's New in RAD Studio XE - An In-Depth Look with Mike Rozlog (Wed, Sep 1 7PM PDT / Thu, Sep 2 12:00 EST Australian) http://forms.embarcadero.com/f...

Delphi Prism XE and RAD Studio XE are now available
The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-prism http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com I suspect it will be available for purchase AFTER Wednesday too. ;-) So from what I can gather, it has CodeSite and Subversion integration that Prism 2011 didn't hav...

Organising code to compile between Win32 and Prism in Delphi XE RAD Studio
Before you all choke on your morning coffee, allow me to explain :-) We have a lot of Delphi code. Quite a lot of it is well mannered object oriented code. We'd like (need) to use this code to produce different binaries that target both .Net and Win32. We can already do this using Delphi 2007 RAD Studio, so we understand the pain points (which are not as many as you might think). Now we want to upgrade to Delphi XE RAD Studio. Essentially this means replacing the Delphi 2007.Net compiler with the Prism compiler. We appreciate there will be some additional pain points, but it's wo...

Dixie and R-Sexy? Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE
I'm used to saying acronyms such as D2010 as "Dee two thousand and 10" and D7 as "Dee seven". How about the following XE shortcut names: Delphi XE: DXE: *Dixie* RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* Delphi Prism XE: *D-Pixie* Tough ones: RadPHP XE: ???? C++Builder XE: ???? Regards, Jarrod Hollingworth Complete Time Tracking http://www.complete-time-tracking.com/ > RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* To ensure it is removed by content filtering tools? > {quote:title=Luigi Sandon wrote:}{quote} > > RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* > > ...

Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE are available now [Edit]
The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com Edited by: Tim DelChiaro on Aug 30, 2010 2:15 PM > {quote:title=Tim DelChiaro wrote:}{quote} > The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are availabl...

RAD Studio 2010 (Delphi, C++Builder, and Delphi Prism) Posted
All, The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 Enjoy, Mike "Michael Rozlog" <michael.rozlog@embarcadero.com> wrote in message news:241286@forums.embarcadero.com... > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. We have to wait all the way until Commodore to get better documentation? And until Chromium to get OTA documentation? -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) On 10.05.2010 23:50, Michael Rozlog wrote: > All, > > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. > > Link: http://e...

RAD Studio 2010 (Delphi, C++Builder, and Delphi Prism) Posted
All, The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 Enjoy, Mike Michael Rozlog wrote: > All, > > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. > > Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 > Thanks for the info, Mike. One thing I'm missing in the slides is the effort to bring the compiler into the C++ Standard compliance (lamda/closures, auto/decltype, etc.) I hope it's just an omission! :) Il Tue, 11 May 2010 09:01:04 -0700, Alex Bakaev <a@b.cc> ha scritto: >Than...

Free RAD Studio 2010 and Delphi Prism 2011 with purchase of Delphi 2010
Hi All, For those of you who complain that Delphi (and RAD Studio) is too expensive... for a few short weeks there are two overlapping special offers from Embarcadero that you can use to move up to RAD Studio 2010 including the latest Delphi Prism 2011 for the price of a single Delphi 2010 (New User or Upgrade)... The first "RAD Studio PROMO" offer is still valid until June 28th: when you order Delphi 2010, you get RAD Studio 2010 delivered instead (including Delphi 2010, C++Builder 2010 and Delphi Prism 2010). As of May 26th, the "Delphi Prism 2011" of...

Any difference between Delphi Prism 2011 and Delphi Prism XE?
Looking at the features in Delphi Prism XE, they look the same as the new items in the 2011 release back in may. I there anything new in the XE release? or did they simply change the product branding? Just wondering if I need to update it or now when i download the rest. Thanks, Hi Dan, > Looking at the features in Delphi Prism XE, they look the same as the new items in the 2011 release back in may. I there anything new in the XE release? or did they simply change the product branding? Just wondering if I need to update it or now when i download the rest. See http://w...

Free Exam Offer for Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE Users, can't get test code
Hello, Tried to get free test code, but on page http://certification.embarcadero.com/redeem i see only text "This promotion has expired". Offer valid till July 31, 2011 and on my calendar July 31, 2011. What is it? Am 31.07.2011 20:07, schrieb Andrei Chketov: > Hello, > > Tried to get free test code, but on page http://certification.embarcadero.com/redeem i see only text "This promotion has expired". > Offer valid till July 31, 2011 and on my calendar July 31, 2011. What is it? In which time zone are you? You might want to contact EMBT directly (e...

How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer?
How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer? -- Regards, Eko Indriyawan www.ekoindri.com Delphi makes me that a something impossible can be realized with possible way Le 21/09/2010, Eko Indriyawan a supposé : > How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer? install D2010 first and DXE next and everything should be fine. - Florent Hi Florent, Thank you very much for your suggestion. Let me try to follow it. -- Regards, Eko Indriyawan www.ekoindri.com Delphi makes me that a something impossible can be ...

DLLs in RAD Studio XE vs RAD Studio 2007
We have a simple non-VCL DLL that we have used for a long time in RAD Studio 2007 projects. We have recreated it (from scratch) as an XE DLL project. Compiles just fine, creates the DLL and lib as before, but won't link to our XE app. The only difference between the two is that the 2007 function take a char* arg, and the XE function takes a wchar_t*. XE gives us an "unresolved external" when trying to link that function. The DLL lib is clearly in the path. We are wondering if XE has changed the DLL process since 2007 ? Appreciate any help thanks Kevin Ke...

SA Question Rad Studio / Delphi
Hi all, I'm figuring out which bits to upgrade to and I was wondering if I purchase Rad studio 2007 upgrade with SA now then 1) Will I get Delphi and C++ builder 2009 as well as part of SA? 2) I will also get Subsequent releases of Rad studio 3) and if I keep renewing the rad studio SA will I keep getting Delphi and C++ Builder as well (2010...2999) I have BDS2006 and D2007 but when Rad studio 2007 came out I really couldn't justify the purchase, now find myself in the same position again. I want D2009 now (and C++), but I wouldn't mind getting back in the RAD s...

Delphi Prism 2010 and RAD Studio 2010 webinars
Introduction to Delphi Prism 2010 Friday, August 28, 2009 11:00 AM PDT / 2:00 PM EDT http://update.codegear.com/forms/AMUSCA09008CGWebinar828 RAD Studio 2010 Overview Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:00 AM PDT / 2:00 PM EDT http://update.codegear.com/forms/AMUSCA0908CGWebinar903 What’s new in Delphi 2010 Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:00 AM PDT / 2:00 PM EDT http://update.codegear.com/forms/AMUSCA09008CGWebinar826 What’s New in C++Builder 2010 Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:00 AM PDT / 2:00 PM EDT http://update.codegear.com/forms/AMUSCA09008CGWebinar827 ...

Web resources about - Not buying RAD Studio XE, have renewed Delphi Prism SA - embarcadero.delphiprism

Renewed JMOL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Renewed judgment as a matter of law (JMOL) is the partner of judgment as a matter of law in American federal courts. Renewed judgment as a matter ...

The Succubus Stays: Lost Girl Renewed for Season 3
Fae fans rejoice! Showcase announces the renewal of massive hit series Lost Girl for a third season. The blockbuster Canadian original series ...

Message Systems announces renewed partnership with Facebook, continues using platform for messaging products ...
Message Systems has announced that it has renewed its relationship with Facebook. Message Systems develops software that powers complex email, ...

Renewed - TV Show Renewal and Cancellation Guide for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod ...
Get Renewed - TV Show Renewal and Cancellation Guide on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Renewed Yemen clashes kill at least seven - The National
Mortar rounds slam into homes and a local hospital in the capital Saana, as the death toll rises to 22 civilians and at least 123 fighters.

St Kilda spurred on by Western Bulldogs' renewed bark
The paths of St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs cross on Saturday when they clash at Etihad Stadium. But their stories seem to have run parallel ...

Iron ore drops below $US50 mark in renewed bear market retreat
Iron ore's bear market has deepened on concern that low-cost supplies from Australia and Brazil will expand further.

Nathan Holman to tackle future with renewed confidence after winning Australian PGA - The Courier-Mail ...
VICTORIAN Nathan Holman says he will tackle the new year with a different mindset and renewed confidence after his stunning success at last week’s ...