Delphi Prism May 2009 Release Now Available

Embarcadero Technologies, the leading independent supplier of award-winning tools to design, build, optimize, and run software applications and databases across multiple platforms and programming languages, is pleased to announce the release of the May 2009 update for Delphi Prism (version 3.0.19), the New generation Delphi development solution for .NET and Mono.

This update is available to all registered users of Embarcadero All-Access, RAD Studio 2009 maintenance customers, and registered owners of Delphi Prism 2009. The list of new features and fixes is detailed in the EDN article at http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39261 .

Major new compiler features include:

 - RemObjects Cirrus: Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP) for Oxygene (shipping as Tech Preview)
 - Standard Aspects Library for RemObjects Cirrus (shipping as Tech Preview)
 - Unmanaged Exports
 - Generic Type Variance
 - Volatile fields
 - CLSCompliantAttribute support and compiler warnings
 - New LINQ Query Expressions operators Skip, white, take and take while

*May 2009 Update Download Information*

Delphi Prism users and Embarcadero All-Access users can download at http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/26911

RAD Studio 2009 users with maintenance - look for your maintenance notification email to get the update from the maintenance portal.

The Trial and Command Line Edition at http://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/delphi_prism have also been updated.
0
Tim
5/20/2009 11:38:51 PM
embarcadero.delphiprism 374 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I had to re-register my Delphi Prism, and on top of that, I cannot download
the full ISO. It says I am not authorized, wheras I my subscription expires
March 31st 2010. Sent David Clegg an email about this. Hope he can help me.

"Tim DelChiaro" schreef in bericht news:119075@forums.codegear.com...
> Embarcadero Technologies, the leading independent supplier of
> award-winning tools to design, build, optimize, and run software
> applications and databases across multiple platforms and programming
> languages, is pleased to announce the release of the May 2009 update for
> Delphi Prism (version 3.0.19), the New generation Delphi development
> solution for .NET and Mono.
>
> This update is available to all registered users of Embarcadero
> All-Access, RAD Studio 2009 maintenance customers, and registered owners
> of Delphi Prism 2009. The list of new features and fixes is detailed in
> the EDN article at http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39261 .
>
> Major new compiler features include:
>
> - RemObjects Cirrus: Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP) for Oxygene
> (shipping as Tech Preview)
> - Standard Aspects Library for RemObjects Cirrus (shipping as Tech
> Preview)
> - Unmanaged Exports
> - Generic Type Variance
> - Volatile fields
> - CLSCompliantAttribute support and compiler warnings
> - New LINQ Query Expressions operators Skip, white, take and take while
>
> *May 2009 Update Download Information*
>
> Delphi Prism users and Embarcadero All-Access users can download at
> http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/26911
>
> RAD Studio 2009 users with maintenance - look for your maintenance
> notification email to get the update from the maintenance portal.
>
> The Trial and Command Line Edition at
> http://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/delphi_prism have also been updated.
0
Jennifer
5/21/2009 8:05:20 AM
Jennifer-Ashley,

> I had to re-register my Delphi Prism, and on top of that, I cannot download
> the full ISO. It says I am not authorized, wheras I my subscription expires
> March 31st 2010. Sent David Clegg an email about this. Hope he can help me.

note that (just FTR, and i realize you might just want the full ISO for
future safekeeping), you don;t need to download the ISO version, in
order to upgrade your existing install. the ~20MB version will do just fine.

yours,
marc
0
marc
5/21/2009 9:24:06 AM
Yeah I know, Marc, and indeed I just want the ISO for future use. I am a bit
appalled by this, since it happened once before. My "record" was disrupted
and it had to be corrected.

"marc hoffman" <mh@spamobjects.com> schreef in bericht
> Jennifer-Ashley,
>
>> I had to re-register my Delphi Prism, and on top of that, I cannot
>> download
>> the full ISO. It says I am not authorized, wheras I my subscription
>> expires
>> March 31st 2010. Sent David Clegg an email about this. Hope he can help
>> me.
>
> note that (just FTR, and i realize you might just want the full ISO for
> future safekeeping), you don;t need to download the ISO version, in
> order to upgrade your existing install. the ~20MB version will do just
> fine.
>
> yours,
> marc
0
Jennifer
5/21/2009 10:10:00 AM
Tim DelChiaro wrote:
> Embarcadero Technologies, the leading independent supplier of award-winning tools to design, build, optimize, and run software applications and databases across multiple platforms and programming languages, is pleased to announce the release of the May 2009 update for Delphi Prism (version 3.0.19), the New generation Delphi development solution for .NET and Mono.
>
> This update is available to all registered users of Embarcadero All-Access, RAD Studio 2009 maintenance customers, and registered owners of Delphi Prism 2009. The list of new features and fixes is detailed in the EDN article at http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39261 .
>
> Major new compiler features include:
>
>  - RemObjects Cirrus: Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP) for Oxygene (shipping as Tech Preview)
>  - Standard Aspects Library for RemObjects Cirrus (shipping as Tech Preview)
>  - Unmanaged Exports
>  - Generic Type Variance
>  - Volatile fields
>  - CLSCompliantAttribute support and compiler warnings
>  - New LINQ Query Expressions operators Skip, white, take and take while
>
> *May 2009 Update Download Information*
>
> Delphi Prism users and Embarcadero All-Access users can download at http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/26911
>
> RAD Studio 2009 users with maintenance - look for your maintenance notification email to get the update from the maintenance portal.
>
> The Trial and Command Line Edition at http://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/delphi_prism have also been updated.

I'm a bit confused!

I bought Rad Studio 2009 professional upgrade for GBP440.00 without the
1 year support and maintenance.

Does this mean I am not eligible for any Prism updates? What about
Delphi 2009 updates?

Surely bug fixes should be free anyway?

Graham (feeling a bit ripped off)
0
Graham
5/21/2009 10:43:38 AM
Graham Jones wrote:
> Tim DelChiaro wrote:
>> Embarcadero Technologies, the leading independent supplier of award-winning tools to design, build, optimize, and run software applications and databases across multiple platforms and programming languages, is pleased to announce the release of the May 2009 update for Delphi Prism (version 3.0.19), the New generation Delphi development solution for .NET and Mono.
>>
>> This update is available to all registered users of Embarcadero All-Access, RAD Studio 2009 maintenance customers, and registered owners of Delphi Prism 2009. The list of new features and fixes is detailed in the EDN article at http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39261 .
>>
>> Major new compiler features include:
>>
>>  - RemObjects Cirrus: Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP) for Oxygene (shipping as Tech Preview)
>>  - Standard Aspects Library for RemObjects Cirrus (shipping as Tech Preview)
>>  - Unmanaged Exports
>>  - Generic Type Variance
>>  - Volatile fields
>>  - CLSCompliantAttribute support and compiler warnings
>>  - New LINQ Query Expressions operators Skip, white, take and take while
>>
>> *May 2009 Update Download Information*
>>
>> Delphi Prism users and Embarcadero All-Access users can download at http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/26911
>>
>> RAD Studio 2009 users with maintenance - look for your maintenance notification email to get the update from the maintenance portal.
>>
>> The Trial and Command Line Edition at http://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/delphi_prism have also been updated.
>
> I'm a bit confused!
>
> I bought Rad Studio 2009 professional upgrade for GBP440.00 without the
> 1 year support and maintenance.
>
> Does this mean I am not eligible for any Prism updates? What about
> Delphi 2009 updates?
>
> Surely bug fixes should be free anyway?
>

> Graham (feeling a bit ripped off)

I actually only bought Rad Studio 2009 in case I needed it in the
future. At the moment I have no need for it. But I do have a need for
Prism. I am happy to relinquish my Rad Studio 2009 license for just a
Prism license, if it means I can get updates. (Even though I will have
paid more!).

Graham
0
Graham
5/21/2009 10:52:22 AM
Yeah, I think things are confusing.  Hopefully it is because of the Codegear/Embarcadero/RemObjects synergy.

(here is MY understanding which may have nothing to do with reality)

Luckily, I noticed on this forum that apparently if you just buy Prism, you get the support.  If you buy Delphi that includes Prism, you don't get the support unless you pay for it.  Go figure.  Seems backwards to me, but what do I know.  If that is correct, then it is easy to see why people would miss that.

Then on the download, I went to the page linked by the email about the upgrade.  I think on my browser either the http link was colored the same as the text and I didn't notice it was a link or I just wasn't paying enough attention.  I was looking for a "download" button somewhere, but didn't find it.  So I was looking all over for how I get the download.  Then I noticed the Downloads menu item.  I THINK I then had to login again to actually try to get downloads.  Then it took me to a page that had the is
o and a BUNCH of other stuff including a couple of things that looked like an upgrade.  Then I tried to download the iso and it wouldn't let me.  Don't know exactly the message etc., but it made be rethink the first page so I went back there.  Then I noticed the hyperlink and was able to download just the upgrade and install it successfully.  Though I think somewhere along the way there was something that was supposed to be some instructions so I looked at that and it didn't say anything helpful.

But I, like you, would have downloaded the ISO, just to have in case the machine dies so that I don't have to go through the initial install followed by an upgrade (and have to remember that that is what I have to do which would be the toughest part for me).

So I think the process was more confusing that it needed to be.  Hopefully this narrative will help you.
0
Mark
5/21/2009 1:33:13 PM
Tim DelChiaro wrote:

> release of the May 2009 update
> for Delphi Prism (version 3.0.19)

My virus scanner really loves (or should I better write: complains
about) the Temp\mia1\SetACL.exe that the installer extracts and
executes.

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
0
Andreas
5/21/2009 2:57:17 PM
Yeah, that is what happened to me. Here is what I think.
- If you have Prism only (support is included), you get the FULL updates
that include the ISO.
- If you have RAD Studio, you don't get the updates (albeit a bug fix)
- If you have RAD Studio and paid for support, you get the (Prism) updates,
though not including ISO.

Funny huh?

"Mark Tiede" schreef in bericht news:119282@forums.codegear.com...
> Yeah, I think things are confusing.  Hopefully it is because of the
> Codegear/Embarcadero/RemObjects synergy.
>
> (here is MY understanding which may have nothing to do with reality)
>
> Luckily, I noticed on this forum that apparently if you just buy Prism,
> you get the support.  If you buy Delphi that includes Prism, you don't get
> the support unless you pay for it.  Go figure.  Seems backwards to me, but
> what do I know.  If that is correct, then it is easy to see why people
> would miss that.
>
> Then on the download, I went to the page linked by the email about the
> upgrade.  I think on my browser either the http link was colored the same
> as the text and I didn't notice it was a link or I just wasn't paying
> enough attention.  I was looking for a "download" button somewhere, but
> didn't find it.  So I was looking all over for how I get the download.
> Then I noticed the Downloads menu item.  I THINK I then had to login again
> to actually try to get downloads.  Then it took me to a page that had the
> is
> o and a BUNCH of other stuff including a couple of things that looked like
> an upgrade.  Then I tried to download the iso and it wouldn't let me.
> Don't know exactly the message etc., but it made be rethink the first page
> so I went back there.  Then I noticed the hyperlink and was able to
> download just the upgrade and install it successfully.  Though I think
> somewhere along the way there was something that was supposed to be some
> instructions so I looked at that and it didn't say anything helpful.
>
> But I, like you, would have downloaded the ISO, just to have in case the
> machine dies so that I don't have to go through the initial install
> followed by an upgrade (and have to remember that that is what I have to
> do which would be the toughest part for me).
>
> So I think the process was more confusing that it needed to be.  Hopefully
> this narrative will help you.
0
Jennifer
5/21/2009 3:18:01 PM
hmm... I wonder why my CA antivirus DOESN'T complain if yours does...
0
Mark
5/21/2009 3:29:13 PM
Graham Jones wrote:

> Does this mean I am not eligible for any Prism updates? What about
> Delphi 2009 updates?

Graham --

You are eligible for bug fix updates, not feature updates.

> Surely bug fixes should be free anyway?

They are, but this is a feature update.

--
Nick Hodges
RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero
Nick Hodges wrote:
> Graham Jones wrote:
>
>> Does this mean I am not eligible for any Prism updates? What about
>> Delphi 2009 updates?
>
> Graham --
>
> You are eligible for bug fix updates, not feature updates.
>

>> Surely bug fixes should be free anyway?
>
> They are, but this is a feature update.

But doesn't it include some bug fixes? Can I not just have those?
0
Graham
5/21/2009 3:50:15 PM
Graham Jones wrote:
> Nick Hodges wrote:
>> Graham Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Does this mean I am not eligible for any Prism updates? What about
>>> Delphi 2009 updates?
>> Graham --
>>
>> You are eligible for bug fix updates, not feature updates.
>>

>>> Surely bug fixes should be free anyway?
>> They are, but this is a feature update.
>>

> But doesn't it include some bug fixes? Can I not just have those?

In fact looking at:

http://www.remobjects.com/changelogs.aspx?id={732D12D5-F93C-4F87-A8AA-B251B14660B3}

there are quite a few bug fixes.
0
Graham
5/21/2009 3:53:53 PM
Graham Jones wrote:

> But doesn't it include some bug fixes? Can I not just have those?

No, I'm afraid not.

--
Nick Hodges
RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Nick
5/21/2009 5:05:50 PM
Mark Tiede wrote:

> hmm... I wonder why my CA antivirus DOESN'T complain if yours does...

Because you haven't set it (in my case Avira AntiVir) to warn about
malware applications like APPL/ACLSet

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
0
Andreas
5/21/2009 5:05:53 PM
Nick Hodges wrote:
> Graham Jones wrote:
>
>> But doesn't it include some bug fixes? Can I not just have those?
>
> No, I'm afraid not.

So let me get this straight, I am eligible for bug fixes but you are
only releasing bug fixes as part of a feature update? Is that right?

So once Prism is bought as part of Rad Studio 2009 without an SA then
basically that is that. There is no eligibility for feature updates and
no bug fixes are released separately. So the purchaser has to be pretty
damn sure the software works as he/she requires because basically they
are stuffed if it doesn't.

To me this is quite frankly non-integrous and reflects badly on the
company as a whole. Free bugs fixes should be available for at least a
year. I really hope the EU software guarantee comes into force for all
software, this will put an end to this ridiculous situation.

I really hope I have this wrong.

Graham
0
Graham
5/21/2009 5:38:12 PM
Graham Jones wrote:

> So let me get this straight, I am eligible for bug fixes but you are
> only releasing bug fixes as part of a feature update? Is that right?

Yes, that is correct.

>  There is no eligibility for feature updates and
> no bug fixes are released separately.

Not entirely correct -- we did do a bug fix update for Delphi Prism in
February.

--
Nick Hodges
RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Nick
5/21/2009 6:01:52 PM
> {quote:title=Nick Hodges wrote:}{quote}
> Graham Jones wrote:
>
> > So let me get this straight, I am eligible for bug fixes but you are
> > only releasing bug fixes as part of a feature update? Is that right?
>
> Yes, that is correct.
But only without the "only" in the first sentence, isn't it?
0
Christian
5/21/2009 6:16:16 PM
Nick Hodges wrote:
> Graham Jones wrote:
>
>> So let me get this straight, I am eligible for bug fixes but you are
>> only releasing bug fixes as part of a feature update? Is that right?
>
> Yes, that is correct.
>

>>  There is no eligibility for feature updates and
>> no bug fixes are released separately.
>
> Not entirely correct -- we did do a bug fix update for Delphi Prism in
> February.

OK, so will you be doing a bug fix update for Delphi Prism again which
includes the bugs fixed in the May feature release?
0
Graham
5/21/2009 6:58:57 PM
Graham,

> So let me get this straight, I am eligible for bug fixes but you are
> only releasing bug fixes as part of a feature update? Is that right?
>
> So once Prism is bought as part of Rad Studio 2009 without an SA then
> basically that is that. There is no eligibility for feature updates and
> no bug fixes are released separately. So the purchaser has to be pretty
> damn sure the software works as he/she requires because basically they
> are stuffed if it doesn't.

Just an analogy: Delphi 2009 contains new features over Delphi 2007 -
but but it also contained bugfixes, right? Still, there was no special
"bugfix only" release that gave Delphi 2007 users the bug fixes.

the same happens here. the February 2009 release was a fix-only release,
so it was free, for every user. the May 2009 release is a feature
release - essentiall the equivalent of what a "new version" would be for
Delphi/Win32.

there's no way we could do a release that had ONLY the bugfixes, if you
think abut it. We'd have to ship two separate releases now. come August
we'd need to shop three releases (one for you; one for people Who have
May, and want a bugfix-only release, and one with new features). in
November, we'd have to shop our different versions. and so on.

between managing the branches and testing those builds, there's be no
time left for R&D.

> To me this is quite frankly non-integrous and reflects badly on the
> company as a whole. Free bugs fixes should be available for at least a
> year. I really hope the EU software guarantee comes into force for all
> software, this will put an end to this ridiculous situation.

if the EU software guarantee comes into force, pretty much all "small"
software shops (such as the one developing Oxygene) will simply go and die.

yours,
marc
0
marc
5/21/2009 7:05:52 PM
marc hoffman wrote:
> Graham,
>
>> So let me get this straight, I am eligible for bug fixes but you are
>> only releasing bug fixes as part of a feature update? Is that right?
>>
>> So once Prism is bought as part of Rad Studio 2009 without an SA then
>> basically that is that. There is no eligibility for feature updates and
>> no bug fixes are released separately. So the purchaser has to be pretty
>> damn sure the software works as he/she requires because basically they
>> are stuffed if it doesn't.
>
> Just an analogy: Delphi 2009 contains new features over Delphi 2007 -
> but but it also contained bugfixes, right? Still, there was no special
> "bugfix only" release that gave Delphi 2007 users the bug fixes.
>
> the same happens here. the February 2009 release was a fix-only release,
> so it was free, for every user. the May 2009 release is a feature
> release - essentiall the equivalent of what a "new version" would be for
> Delphi/Win32.
>
> there's no way we could do a release that had ONLY the bugfixes, if you
> think abut it. We'd have to ship two separate releases now. come August
> we'd need to shop three releases (one for you; one for people Who have
> May, and want a bugfix-only release, and one with new features). in
> November, we'd have to shop our different versions. and so on.
>
> between managing the branches and testing those builds, there's be no
> time left for R&D.
>
>> To me this is quite frankly non-integrous and reflects badly on the
>> company as a whole. Free bugs fixes should be available for at least a
>> year. I really hope the EU software guarantee comes into force for all
>> software, this will put an end to this ridiculous situation.
>
> if the EU software guarantee comes into force, pretty much all "small"
> software shops (such as the one developing Oxygene) will simply go and die.
>
> yours,
> marc

Hello marc,

I understand what you are saying, but you must see it from my point of
view. I have bought a software package that one month later has been
superseded and will no longer have any bugs fixed. As you can image I am
a bit pissed off.

As a counterexample here is a link to the latest Visual Studio 2005 (yes
2005) hot fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949009/

The release date of this fix? May 7 2009, yes that's right two weeks ago!

I'm not saying you should support a product first released 4 years ago
for no remuneration, but one year of free bug fixes should be possible,
even for a small company.

Please carefully consider this, in the current climate alienating
customers does not make good business sense.

Graham
0
Graham
5/21/2009 8:08:30 PM
Graham Jones wrote:
> marc hoffman wrote:
>> Graham,
>>
>>> So let me get this straight, I am eligible for bug fixes but you are
>>> only releasing bug fixes as part of a feature update? Is that right?
>>>
>>> So once Prism is bought as part of Rad Studio 2009 without an SA then
>>> basically that is that. There is no eligibility for feature updates and
>>> no bug fixes are released separately. So the purchaser has to be pretty
>>> damn sure the software works as he/she requires because basically they
>>> are stuffed if it doesn't.
>> Just an analogy: Delphi 2009 contains new features over Delphi 2007 -
>> but but it also contained bugfixes, right? Still, there was no special
>> "bugfix only" release that gave Delphi 2007 users the bug fixes.
>>
>> the same happens here. the February 2009 release was a fix-only release,
>> so it was free, for every user. the May 2009 release is a feature
>> release - essentiall the equivalent of what a "new version" would be for
>> Delphi/Win32.
>>
>> there's no way we could do a release that had ONLY the bugfixes, if you
>> think abut it. We'd have to ship two separate releases now. come August
>> we'd need to shop three releases (one for you; one for people Who have
>> May, and want a bugfix-only release, and one with new features). in
>> November, we'd have to shop our different versions. and so on.
>>
>> between managing the branches and testing those builds, there's be no
>> time left for R&D.
>>
>>> To me this is quite frankly non-integrous and reflects badly on the
>>> company as a whole. Free bugs fixes should be available for at least a
>>> year. I really hope the EU software guarantee comes into force for all
>>> software, this will put an end to this ridiculous situation.
>> if the EU software guarantee comes into force, pretty much all "small"
>> software shops (such as the one developing Oxygene) will simply go and die.
>>
>> yours,
>> marc
>
> Hello marc,
>
> I understand what you are saying, but you must see it from my point of
> view. I have bought a software package that one month later has been
> superseded and will no longer have any bugs fixed. As you can image I am
> a bit pissed off.
>
> As a counterexample here is a link to the latest Visual Studio 2005 (yes
> 2005) hot fix:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949009/
>
> The release date of this fix? May 7 2009, yes that's right two weeks ago!
>
> I'm not saying you should support a product first released 4 years ago
> for no remuneration, but one year of free bug fixes should be possible,
> even for a small company.
>
> Please carefully consider this, in the current climate alienating
> customers does not make good business sense.
>
> Graham

Anyway the answer is simple. Give Prism when bought as part of RAD
studio the same one year SA as when you buy it normally, even when RAD
Studio is bought without the SA. After all you can't buy a version of
Prism without SA anyway. So this should be the same if you buy it as
part of RAD studio (with SA or not).

This will make you lots of friends!

Graham
0
Graham
5/22/2009 6:40:39 AM
Graham,

> I understand what you are saying, but you must see it from my point of
> view. I have bought a software package that one month later has been
> superseded and will no longer have any bugs fixed. As you can image I am
> a bit pissed off.

i understand, yes. imho, this should be a matter of customer courtesy of
upgrading you to the latest version because you bought so close to
release of the next version (but note that i'm not in a position to
dictate Embarcadero customer policy. unforunately <g>).

i'd also argue that ideally you should have been informed about the
update model for Prism, before you were sold a copy of RAD Studio
without SA. If RAD Studio is sold to customers without them being aware
that they "should" get SA to stay up to date with Prism, which will
evolve rapidly, then that is a problem that Embarcadero needs to address.

i would suggest to contact a customer representative there and make this
case, but i will also pass this on from my side.

i don't think this affects the general argument that once we ship a
major new version with new major features, we cannot reasonably maintain
separate fix-only releases for past versions, and that we do need to
charge for new versions (or require SA).

once again, the same problem would arise if you, say, bought Delphi 2007
just shortly before 2009 came out.

> As a counterexample here is a link to the latest Visual Studio 2005 (yes
> 2005) hot fix:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949009/
>
> The release date of this fix? May 7 2009, yes that's right two weeks ago!
>
> I'm not saying you should support a product first released 4 years ago
> for no remuneration, but one year of free bug fixes should be possible,
> even for a small company.

it's not really, as i tried to outline in my previous email. we'd be
shipping, testing and maintaining *four* separate but parallel releases
every quarter, if we did that. it's simply not feasible. Especially
since next to Oxygene/Delphi Prism we have about 10 other product SKUs
we release each quarter, as well.

> Please carefully consider this, in the current climate alienating
> customers does not make good business sense.

i agree. the solution, really, is that no-one should be buying (or being
sold) Delphi Prism (or RAD Studio) without SA, unless they have been
made explicitly aware that by foregoing SA access to regular updates.

if that was the case for you, then i sincerely hope Embarcadero can
rectify that and fine a solution.

the Delphi Prism product is really *designed* around SA and regular new
feature updates.

yours,
marc
0
marc
5/22/2009 9:16:26 AM
Graham,

> Anyway the answer is simple. Give Prism when bought as part of RAD
> studio the same one year SA as when you buy it normally, even when RAD
> Studio is bought without the SA. After all you can't buy a version of
> Prism without SA anyway. So this should be the same if you buy it as
> part of RAD studio (with SA or not).

> This will make you lots of friends!

i'm sure it would. ;)
0
marc
5/22/2009 9:19:38 AM
Graham,

i forgot in my previous reply: could you send me a quick email to mh at
remobjects dot com? thanx!

yours,
marc
0
marc
5/22/2009 9:20:52 AM
marc hoffman wrote:
> Graham,
>
> i forgot in my previous reply: could you send me a quick email to mh at
> remobjects dot com? thanx!
>
> yours,
> marc

Hello Marc,

Thanks for your understanding reply, I agree that more needs to be done
to make Rad Studio customers aware that without an SA Prism will rapidly
become out of date.

I will send you an email but I should say that Graham Jones is not my
real name, nor is my Prism registration under this name. I have clients
that are not aware (and would not be happy) of my work for other
clients. So I made up an identity for the sole purpose of posting in
Internet forums.

So the email you receive will be from someone else!

Thanks

Graham (not really!)
0
Graham
5/22/2009 12:21:31 PM
Graham (not really! ;),

> Thanks for your understanding reply, I agree that more needs to be done
> to make Rad Studio customers aware that without an SA Prism will rapidly
> become out of date.
>
> I will send you an email but I should say that Graham Jones is not my
> real name, nor is my Prism registration under this name. I have clients
> that are not aware (and would not be happy) of my work for other
> clients. So I made up an identity for the sole purpose of posting in
> Internet forums.
>
> So the email you receive will be from someone else!

sure thing ;)

yours,
marc
0
marc
5/22/2009 12:25:58 PM
Tim DelChiaro wrote:

> RAD Studio 2009 users with maintenance - look for your maintenance
> notification email to get the update from the maintenance portal.

What do I have to do to get a maintenance notification email? I received an
email with a support account number when I bought the SA for RAD Studio 2009,
but that is all I have ever had.

Regards

Eric
0
Eric
5/25/2009 12:39:03 AM
Very disappointed here also. That must have been very small letters somewhere telling me about this Delphi Prism license. Till now, reading this item on the forum, I didn't realize it also. Maybe this is because Delphi developers never had to worry about licence for upgrading the product. I've looked on the web if I could find any info about this non licence Delphi Prism shipped with RAD studio 2009. Looked also on the package but nothing I can find.
I bought the RAD Studio 2009 specially for Delphi Prism. Because I don't need al the tools and languages of the RAD studio, In 2007 I bought the Delphi Win32 version. Now for the new release of RAD Studio I thought to beat two flies in one hit. The new version of Delphi 2009 with Delphi Prism in one package. Because of the UniCode hassle I didn't use Delphi 2009 at all. I tried but it is at the moment too much work to convert all the projects and components I use. I never experienced such a version change
 since I use Delphi 1. I still think what to do next with this issue because I don't want to stick with Delphi 2007 forever..
So, I phoned my supplier and there is no cheap way to get a licence for Delphi Prism for receiving upgrades. This feels strange if you realize that I bought Delphi versions and upgrades for almost 10 years.. The only possibility is to buy Delphi Prism full version again. I think I'll wait till a new release of Delphi Prism is on the market (september?) and maybe buy this.

Greets
0
Robert
5/26/2009 3:15:50 PM
Robert,

> Very disappointed here also. That must have been very small letters somewhere telling me about this Delphi Prism license. Till now, reading this item on the forum, I didn't realize it also. Maybe this is because Delphi developers never had to worry about licence for upgrading the product. I've looked on the web if I could find any info about this non licence Delphi Prism shipped with RAD studio 2009. Looked also on the package but nothing I can find.
> I bought the RAD Studio 2009 specially for Delphi Prism. Because I don't need al the tools and languages of the RAD studio, In 2007 I bought the Delphi Win32 version. Now for the new release of RAD Studio I thought to beat two flies in one hit. The new version of Delphi 2009 with Delphi Prism in one package. Because of the UniCode hassle I didn't use Delphi 2009 at all. I tried but it is at the moment too much work to convert all the projects and components I use. I never experienced such a version chan
ge
>   since I use Delphi 1. I still think what to do next with this issue because I don't want to stick with Delphi 2007 forever..
> So, I phoned my supplier and there is no cheap way to get a licence for Delphi Prism for receiving upgrades. This feels strange if you realize that I bought Delphi versions and upgrades for almost 10 years.. The only possibility is to buy Delphi Prism full version again. I think I'll wait till a new release of Delphi Prism is on the market (september?) and maybe buy this.

you should be able to just upgrade to SA?

yours,
marc
0
marc
5/26/2009 6:39:21 PM
> yours,
> marc

Hello Marc,

Maybe CodeGear can communicate better what "Maintenance" means.

What I understand now is that Maintenance means that you'll get
updates with extra functionality also called "feature update" (thats nice)
and if you have not the Maintenance then you'll get one bugfix update
or you'll get bugfix updates untill a feature update is released and this is
because after the feature update it is not possible anymore to release a
bugfix only update.

Is this the same for RAD studio 2009?

> you should be able to just upgrade to SA?

I've look on the web and this is what I found:

>Software Assurance (Support & Maintenance)
>Can only be purchased at time of initial product purchase.

http://www.qbssoftware.com/product_info.aspx?current=OVERVIEW&product=RADSTUDIO

I think this means what it said, only possible at the same moment when you buy the product.

Anyway, the SA of RAD Studio is almost the same price as buying Delphi Prism again with SA..

RAD Studio professional SA
165616  Professional Named User 1 Yr Support & Maintenance   £300.00 ; £345.00

Delphi Prism professional + SA
172427  Pro - 1 User Perpetual Lic + 1 Year Supp & Maint Version: 2009 (ESD)   £356.00 ; £409.40

Greets.
0
Robert
5/28/2009 3:39:55 PM
Eric Thorniley wrote:

> What do I have to do to get a maintenance notification email?

The answer was to create a registration/installation issue with support - and
they sent me the details.

Eric
0
Eric
5/28/2009 6:03:33 PM
Hi, I am new to the forums so if I have posted incorrectly please let me know...

I am a little confused.... I just upgraded last weekend to RAD studio from Delphi 7 and expected to get Delphi Prism in the download. It was not there but managed to find it on the registered downloads. What disappoints me is the only download availabe to me was the February one, not the May although correct me if I am wrong it is now June !!!!

As my purchase was in June surely I am entitled to the May version !!!

Please advise how I am to recieve this....

Steve

> {quote:title=Tim DelChiaro wrote:}{quote}
> Embarcadero Technologies, the leading independent supplier of award-winning tools to design, build, optimize, and run software applications and databases across multiple platforms and programming languages, is pleased to announce the release of the May 2009 update for Delphi Prism (version 3.0.19), the New generation Delphi development solution for .NET and Mono.
>
> This update is available to all registered users of Embarcadero All-Access, RAD Studio 2009 maintenance customers, and registered owners of Delphi Prism 2009. The list of new features and fixes is detailed in the EDN article at http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39261 .
>
> Major new compiler features include:
>
>  - RemObjects Cirrus: Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP) for Oxygene (shipping as Tech Preview)
>  - Standard Aspects Library for RemObjects Cirrus (shipping as Tech Preview)
>  - Unmanaged Exports
>  - Generic Type Variance
>  - Volatile fields
>  - CLSCompliantAttribute support and compiler warnings
>  - New LINQ Query Expressions operators Skip, white, take and take while
>
> *May 2009 Update Download Information*
>
> Delphi Prism users and Embarcadero All-Access users can download at http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/26911
>
> RAD Studio 2009 users with maintenance - look for your maintenance notification email to get the update from the maintenance portal.
>
> The Trial and Command Line Edition at http://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/delphi_prism have also been updated.
0
Steve
6/23/2009 5:33:03 AM
Did you get Rad Studio WITH maintenance.  If not, I think you don't get the upgrades.  I think that fact was not abundantly clear (and kind of unusual IMHO) and I would have missed that fact had it not been discussed on the forums.
0
Mark
6/23/2009 12:23:41 PM
No I didn't take out the maintenance but you would think that having purchased in June, I should have received the May release....

I also work for a software company and if a customer purchased our product in June they would get the May release, not a Feb release. In Australia the customer is legally entitled to the latest release of code.

Still waiting for a response from me email send last weekend... hopefully I will be provided the up to date version.

> {quote:title=Mark Tiede wrote:}{quote}
> Did you get Rad Studio WITH maintenance.  If not, I think you don't get the upgrades.  I think that fact was not abundantly clear (and kind of unusual IMHO) and I would have missed that fact had it not been discussed on the forums.
0
Steve
6/24/2009 6:14:14 AM
Steve,

> I am a little confused.... I just upgraded last weekend to RAD studio from Delphi 7 and expected to get Delphi Prism in the download. It was not there but managed to find it on the registered downloads. What disappoints me is the only download availabe to me was the February one, not the May although correct me if I am wrong it is now June !!!!
>
> As my purchase was in June surely I am entitled to the May version !!!

that goes without saying, yes. something must have gone wrong.

> Please advise how I am to recieve this....

i'd advise to contact CodeGear or your reseller directly, such as via
maintenance@codegear.com. these newsgroups are mainly for peer-to-peer
support, so this probably cannot be resolved here.

yours,
marc
0
marc
6/24/2009 8:33:17 AM
Thanks Marc,

I did drop an email last weekend but no response, so will try again, hopefully will get a positive reply...

Cheers,
Steve

> {quote:title=marc hoffman wrote:}{quote}
> Steve,
>
> > I am a little confused.... I just upgraded last weekend to RAD studio from Delphi 7 and expected to get Delphi Prism in the download. It was not there but managed to find it on the registered downloads. What disappoints me is the only download availabe to me was the February one, not the May although correct me if I am wrong it is now June !!!!
> >
> > As my purchase was in June surely I am entitled to the May version !!!
>
> that goes without saying, yes. something must have gone wrong.
>
> > Please advise how I am to recieve this....
>
> i'd advise to contact CodeGear or your reseller directly, such as via
> maintenance@codegear.com. these newsgroups are mainly for peer-to-peer
> support, so this probably cannot be resolved here.
>
> yours,
> marc
0
Steve
6/24/2009 9:43:03 AM
Steve Simpson wrote:

Steve --

Send me an email at nick.hodges@embarcadero.com and we will get you all
squared away.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

--
Nick Hodges
RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Nick
6/24/2009 5:20:16 PM
Hi Nick,

Thanks for that will do...

Steve

> {quote:title=Nick Hodges wrote:}{quote}
> Steve Simpson wrote:
>
> Steve --
>
> Send me an email at nick.hodges@embarcadero.com and we will get you all
> squared away.
>
> I'm sorry for the confusion.
>

> --
> Nick Hodges
> RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero
> http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Steve

February 2009 Release of Delphi Prism is now available
More information at: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39408 -- Nick Hodges Delphi Product Manager Embarcadero > {quote:title=Nick Hodges wrote:}{quote} > More information at: > > http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39408 > > -- > Nick Hodges > Delphi Product Manager > Embarcadero Thanks. That solved a couple of problems I was having trying to do SilverLight! Is the only "sync edit" available the one from DevExpress (dxcore)? Or is there something in Prism itself now? The list of issues mentioned sync edit problem with foreign ...

RAD Studio 2009 Trial with Delphi Prism now available
The CodeGear RAD Studio 2009 trial download including Delphi Prism is now available from http://cc.codegear.com/free/radstudio. Thanks, Tim ...

C++Builder 2009 and Delphi 2009 information now available on codegear.com
The Delphi and C++Builder pages on http://www.codegear.com have now been updated with new 2009 product information. http://www.codegear.com/products/delphi/win32 http://www.codegear.com/products/cppbuilder Thanks, Tim Tim DelChiaro wrote: > The Delphi and C++Builder pages on http://www.codegear.com have now been updated with new 2009 product information. > Which version of Indy will be shipped with C++ Builder 2009? Dennis Cote Dennis Cote wrote: > Which version of Indy will be shipped with C++ Builder 2009? It will be a version of Indy 10 updated with U...

Delphi Prism Trial now available
A trial edition of Delphi Prism is now available at http://cc.codegear.com/free/prism It's a fully functional trial edition of Delphi Prism 2009 Enterprise. The Delphi Prism trial is also available as part of the RAD Studio 2009 Architect trial (which also includes Delphi 2009, C++Builder 2009 and ER/Studio Developer Edition). Thanks, Tim ...

Delphi 2009 Trial download now available
The Delphi and C++Builder 2009 Architect Trial edition is now available for download from http://cc.codegear.com/free/delphi. Enjoy! Tim Tim DelChiaro wrote: > The Delphi and C++Builder 2009 Architect Trial edition is now available for download from http://cc.codegear.com/free/delphi. Will the trial turn into your real copy if you re-install it later with a purchased key ? Or would I have to download it all again ? Thanks. Tim DelChiaro wrote: > The Delphi and C++Builder 2009 Architect Trial edition is now available for download from http://cc.codegear.com/free/del...

Update 2 for Delphi 2009 is now available
Update 2 for C++Builder 2009 and Delphi 2009 (and the Delphi and C++Builder portions of RAD Studio 2009) is now available. You'll be prompted to download the update when you start/restart the IDE if you chose to be notified when updates are available. You can also get the update by running Check for Updates from the Start menu. If you need to reinstall or access the update separately, you can get it from our registered users download page at http://cc.codegear.com/item/26310 Release notes for the update are at: http://dn.codegear.com/article/39005 The bug fix list for the updat...

Delphi 2009 Hotfix for Windows 7 debugging now available
Hotfix 2 for Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio 2009 is now available for download at: http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27476 Note: This hotfix is for the 2009 verisons of Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio, not the latest 2010 versions. Information on the hotfix is available in the readme below and in a blog post at http://blogs.embarcadero.com/chrishesik/2009/12/03/35132. RAD Studio 2009 Hotfix 2 - English Readme This software patch is being provided to licensed users of RAD Studio 2009. Installation and use are governed by the license statement for RAD Studio 2009. This Hotfix ...

Delphi Prism XE and RAD Studio XE are now available
The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-prism http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com I suspect it will be available for purchase AFTER Wednesday too. ;-) So from what I can gather, it has CodeSite and Subversion integration that Prism 2011 didn't hav...

Delphi Prism 2011 product info and trial available now
All the Delphi Prism 2011 web pages and a trial download are now available from our web site. Delphi Prism 2011 home page - http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-prism Delphi Prism 2011 trial download - http://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/delphi_prism EDN page with release notes, install notes, ..etc - http://edn.embarcadero.com/delphi_prism Thanks, Tim ...

ANN: Context Database Designer & Extensions v.3 are now available with the support for Delphi 2009!
Dear Friends! We are happy to announce the first public beta release of Context Database Designer & Database Extensions v.3.02. This version introduces several major improvements over version 2 including full support for Delphi 2009. Context Database Designer Improvements: - User Interface is redesigned to provide modal-less way of viewing and changing database object properties (Object Properties window); - Added customizable template-based documentation generation wizard; - Greatly improved schema comparison tool; - Greatly improved schema searching/management too...

ANN: Context Database Designer & Extensions v.3 are now available with support for Delphi 2009!
Dear Friends, We are happy to announce the new release of Context Database Designer & Database Extensions v. 3.03. This version is a release candidate and introduces many improvements and bug fixes: Improvements ~~~~~~~~~~~~ #597 Show object class icon instead of class name in the diagram tabs. #598 Change icons for objects in editor to the standard ones (without the arrows). #599 Added option to the object editor grid: Tab (Shift-Tab) moves to next column in grid. #600 Added description colum to the object editor for table's fields. #601 Added Schema Statistics modal ...

Re: ANN: Context Database Designer & Extensions v.3 are now available withsupport for Delphi 2009!
Ad cancelled. Per the newsgroup rules, you may promote your product in the thirdparty groups only. -Craig (moderator) -- Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/ Sorry about that, this was not intentionally, just hit the wrong button. Michael Craig Stuntz wrote: > Ad cancelled. Per the newsgroup rules, you may promote your product in > the thirdparty groups only. > > -Craig (moderator) > ...

ANN: RealThinClient SDK v4.52 Starter edition now available for Delphi 2009, 2010, XE and XE2
RealThinClient SDK v4.52 Starter edition is now available as a FREE download for RAD Studio / Delphi 2009, 2010, XE and XE2 (Win32). For more information about the RTC SDK "Starter" edition and to download your RealThinClient SDK Starter edition copy, visit: http://www.realthinclient.com/files What is the RealThinClient SDK? http://www.realthinclient.com/about.htm Best Regards, Danijel Tkalcec -- RealThinClient components http://www.realthinclient.com Thanks Daniel, Unfortunately the link provided on http://www.realthinclient.com/files/ to http://www.realthin...

Move from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 and now failing
I recently moved from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 (combined with a new computer). The XML that is now created no longer accepted by the webservice. The specific steps I went through were. 1) Delphi 2009 with old pas file. Worked. 2) Delphi XE2 with old pas file. Didn't work. 3) Delphi XE2 with new pas file imported by Delphi XE2. Didn't work. The new pas file has the following lines, but commenting them out doesn't change the XML. { InvRegistry.RegisterParamInfo(TypeInfo(FaCSIADiagnosticInterface), 'Ping', 'Ping_Input', '&...

Web resources about - Delphi Prism May 2009 Release Now Available - embarcadero.delphiprism

Trump's Appeal as American as Andrew Jackson
After the Paris attack, conventional wisdom held that Republican voters would finally turn away from political outsiders and reward candidates ...

Google Compare Mortgages tool launches in California
When it comes time to buy a new home or refinance an existing home, finding the right mortgage isn't always easy. Google has launched a new tool ...

The best gaming deals you can snag on Black Friday
Black Friday shoppers, it's your time to shine. Whether you're standing in line at 3 a.m. or clicking "add to cart" while eating turkey, there ...

Police: Missing Washington College student found dead in Pennsylvania
A missing Washington College student at the center of a weeklong manhunt has been found dead in Pennsylvania.

U.S. retailers hunt for cyber attacks after malware warning leading into holiday shopping season
BOSTON (By Jim Finkle, Reuters) – U.S. retailers are hunting for evidence of new breaches leading into the holiday shopping season after a cyber ...

Turkey shoots down Russian plane in airspace near Syria
President Barack Obama’s meeting with France President Francois Hollande has probably gotten a bit more interesting after reports indicate Turkey ...

Apple Pay will launch in China early next year, says WSJ
Apple's latest iPhones have been a raging success in China, so the lack of Apple Pay in the nation has been a sore point. That's about to change ...

Dell admits installing security hole on laptops, apologizes, offers fix
Dell acknowledges a root certificate it installed on its laptops was a bad idea and is pushing a patch to permanently remove it. In a blog post ...

Own your drone: the US is one step closer to drone registration
A new report for the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has recommended that drones weighing over 250g should be officially registered ...

HBO doesn’t even care about spoilers for the next season of ‘Game of Thrones’
SPOILERS for the next season of Game of Thrones Believe it or not, I’ve actually been trying to avoid Game of Thrones spoilers for months. To ...