Organising code to compile between Win32 and Prism in Delphi XE RAD Studio

Before you all choke on your morning coffee, allow me to explain :-)

We have a lot of Delphi code. Quite a lot of it is well mannered object oriented code. We'd like (need) to use this code to produce different binaries that target both .Net and Win32. We can already do this using Delphi 2007 RAD Studio, so we understand the pain points (which are not as many as you might think).

Now we want to upgrade to Delphi XE RAD Studio. Essentially this means replacing the Delphi 2007.Net compiler with the Prism compiler. We appreciate there will be some additional pain points, but it's workable.

The first major stumbling block I have is that when I add source code units to a Prism project, Prism physically copies the source file into the VS2010 folder for that project. However, I don't want to do that - I would like the file to remain at it's current location in the source tree so that the compilation of other binaries can use it. I only want a single version of the source file within the source tree for maintainability reasons.

So: How do I add source code to a Prism project but have the project refer the file to where is currently is, rather than copying it into the project folder?

Thanks,
Raymond.
0
Raymond
10/1/2010 3:00:03 AM
embarcadero.delphiprism.lang 246 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 2010-09-30 23:00:03 -0400, Raymond Wilson <> said:

> So: How do I add source code to a Prism project but have the project
> refer the file to where is currently is, rather than copying it into
> the project folder?

In the add existing items dialog, add is a dropdown. If you choose add
as link which is below add it doesn't copy the file.

Cheers,
John
0
John
10/1/2010 3:46:41 AM
> {quote:title=John Moshakis wrote:}{quote}
> On 2010-09-30 23:00:03 -0400, Raymond Wilson <> said:
>

> > So: How do I add source code to a Prism project but have the project
> > refer the file to where is currently is, rather than copying it into
> > the project folder?
>

> In the add existing items dialog, add is a dropdown. If you choose add
> as link which is below add it doesn't copy the file.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Awesome!

Thanks, Raymond.
0
Raymond

RAD Studio XE: the relevant links for RAD Studio, Delphi, C++ Builder, Prism, RadPHP [what's new, features, downloads...]
What's New in Delphi and C++Builder XE http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/What's_New_in_Delphi_and_C%2B%2BBuilder_XE RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and RadPHP XE are available now! http://blogs.embarcadero.com/davidi/2010/08/30/40114/ audio - Dr. Dobbs's talks with Michael Rozlog about RAD Studio XE Release http://www.drdobbs.com/tv/index.jhtml?bctid=594150880001&bcpid=64699398001 Webinar: What's New in RAD Studio XE - An In-Depth Look with Mike Rozlog (Wed, Sep 1 7PM PDT / Thu, Sep 2 12:00 EST Australian) http://forms.embarcadero.com/f...

Delphi Prism XE and RAD Studio XE are now available
The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-prism http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com I suspect it will be available for purchase AFTER Wednesday too. ;-) So from what I can gather, it has CodeSite and Subversion integration that Prism 2011 didn't hav...

Free Exam Offer for Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE Users, can't get test code
Hello, Tried to get free test code, but on page http://certification.embarcadero.com/redeem i see only text "This promotion has expired". Offer valid till July 31, 2011 and on my calendar July 31, 2011. What is it? Am 31.07.2011 20:07, schrieb Andrei Chketov: > Hello, > > Tried to get free test code, but on page http://certification.embarcadero.com/redeem i see only text "This promotion has expired". > Offer valid till July 31, 2011 and on my calendar July 31, 2011. What is it? In which time zone are you? You might want to contact EMBT directly (e...

Not buying RAD Studio XE, have renewed Delphi Prism SA
I bought Delphi Prism last year. I also have Delphi 2010. My original plan was to use Delphi Prism for some hobbyist projects (this worked well) and learn some Delphi so I'd be prepared for the eventual crossplatform release of Delphi. I don't know C++ nor did I ever want to learn it. Then Delphi XE came out and wasn't crossplatform. I thought about this. My original plan was to upgrade to RAD Studio 2011 (now named XE) and get my new version of Delphi prism as well as crossplatform Delphi (as well as C++ Builder). But the XE improvements over Delphi 2010 have no value for...

Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE are available now [Edit]
The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are available, and the products will be available to purchase worldwide between now and Wednesday. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Delphi Prism and Delphi for PHP http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com Edited by: Tim DelChiaro on Aug 30, 2010 2:15 PM > {quote:title=Tim DelChiaro wrote:}{quote} > The new product info is live on the web sites, trial downloads are availabl...

Dixie and R-Sexy? Delphi XE and RAD Studio XE
I'm used to saying acronyms such as D2010 as "Dee two thousand and 10" and D7 as "Dee seven". How about the following XE shortcut names: Delphi XE: DXE: *Dixie* RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* Delphi Prism XE: *D-Pixie* Tough ones: RadPHP XE: ???? C++Builder XE: ???? Regards, Jarrod Hollingworth Complete Time Tracking http://www.complete-time-tracking.com/ > RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* To ensure it is removed by content filtering tools? > {quote:title=Luigi Sandon wrote:}{quote} > > RAD Studio XE: RSXE: *R-Sexy* > > ...

RAD Studio 2010 (Delphi, C++Builder, and Delphi Prism) Posted
All, The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 Enjoy, Mike "Michael Rozlog" <michael.rozlog@embarcadero.com> wrote in message news:241286@forums.embarcadero.com... > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. We have to wait all the way until Commodore to get better documentation? And until Chromium to get OTA documentation? -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) On 10.05.2010 23:50, Michael Rozlog wrote: > All, > > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. > > Link: http://e...

RAD Studio 2010 (Delphi, C++Builder, and Delphi Prism) Posted
All, The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 Enjoy, Mike Michael Rozlog wrote: > All, > > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. > > Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 > Thanks for the info, Mike. One thing I'm missing in the slides is the effort to bring the compiler into the C++ Standard compliance (lamda/closures, auto/decltype, etc.) I hope it's just an omission! :) Il Tue, 11 May 2010 09:01:04 -0700, Alex Bakaev <a@b.cc> ha scritto: >Than...

Free RAD Studio 2010 and Delphi Prism 2011 with purchase of Delphi 2010
Hi All, For those of you who complain that Delphi (and RAD Studio) is too expensive... for a few short weeks there are two overlapping special offers from Embarcadero that you can use to move up to RAD Studio 2010 including the latest Delphi Prism 2011 for the price of a single Delphi 2010 (New User or Upgrade)... The first "RAD Studio PROMO" offer is still valid until June 28th: when you order Delphi 2010, you get RAD Studio 2010 delivered instead (including Delphi 2010, C++Builder 2010 and Delphi Prism 2010). As of May 26th, the "Delphi Prism 2011" of...

[XE] Are there any large code base users using Rad Studio XE in production mode?
Our codebase contains around 650,000 lines of source code. We have compiled all of it with Rad Studio XE with Update 1 applied. Light testing has not presented any problems at this time. XE appears to be very solid with Update 1 applied and with the workarounds we have implemented. I think we will upgrade from BDS2009 to XE and do detailed testing very soon. Are there any other users with a large amount of lines of source code that are using it in production mode, and if so, what is your opinion of XE? Larry Well, my partner, Rex the "Cortez" Bloom has decid...

Compiling Delphi code under prism
Hello All, I have a Desktop application written in Delphi 2010 which contains a bunch of calculation routines. Is it possible for me to use Delphi Prism and compile my Delphi code directly in prism and use it in an asp.net application? I would rather not have to modify the code, this I would be able to maintain one version of the calculation routines. Thanks Bob Hi Bob, > I have a Desktop application written in Delphi 2010 which contains a bunch > of calculation routines. Just plain "global" functions and procedures? Or (static) class methods? > ...

Any difference between Delphi Prism 2011 and Delphi Prism XE?
Looking at the features in Delphi Prism XE, they look the same as the new items in the 2011 release back in may. I there anything new in the XE release? or did they simply change the product branding? Just wondering if I need to update it or now when i download the rest. Thanks, Hi Dan, > Looking at the features in Delphi Prism XE, they look the same as the new items in the 2011 release back in may. I there anything new in the XE release? or did they simply change the product branding? Just wondering if I need to update it or now when i download the rest. See http://w...

DLLs in RAD Studio XE vs RAD Studio 2007
We have a simple non-VCL DLL that we have used for a long time in RAD Studio 2007 projects. We have recreated it (from scratch) as an XE DLL project. Compiles just fine, creates the DLL and lib as before, but won't link to our XE app. The only difference between the two is that the 2007 function take a char* arg, and the XE function takes a wchar_t*. XE gives us an "unresolved external" when trying to link that function. The DLL lib is clearly in the path. We are wondering if XE has changed the DLL process since 2007 ? Appreciate any help thanks Kevin Ke...

How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer?
How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer? -- Regards, Eko Indriyawan www.ekoindri.com Delphi makes me that a something impossible can be realized with possible way Le 21/09/2010, Eko Indriyawan a supposé : > How to install RAD Studio XE + RAD Studio 2010 in the same computer? install D2010 first and DXE next and everything should be fine. - Florent Hi Florent, Thank you very much for your suggestion. Let me try to follow it. -- Regards, Eko Indriyawan www.ekoindri.com Delphi makes me that a something impossible can be ...

Web resources about - Organising code to compile between Win32 and Prism in Delphi XE RAD Studio - embarcadero.delphiprism.lang

London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) was the organisation responsible for overseeing the planning and ...

SImple Audio Manager and Recorder - Powerful Tool For Organising Audio Recordings on the App Store on ...
Get SImple Audio Manager and Recorder - Powerful Tool For Organising Audio Recordings on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read ...

Jobless man admits organising gambling on table game
Bangladeshi man tells Dubai court those who lost the game had to pay him money. An unemployed man has admitted to organising gambling in the ...

Police and neighbours alarmed as party boy rakes in $1200 a night organising raves for teens in Melbourne’s ...
A TEEN who claims he is a bigger party boy than Corey Worthington has boasted of earning $1200 a night throwing out-of-control underage house ...

Harvard unleashes a swarm of self-organising robots
The robot uprising must surely be close at hand, as Ivy League scientists are diligently working to give machines the ability to collaborate ...

No bail for alleged gang member accused of organising armed attack
An alleged gang member accused of organising a clifftop attack against a suspected police informant has been refused bail.

Organising Your Marriage - Minus A Groom - Wedding Gawker - Perth
They've got the dress, the ring and the table decorations sorted; now all they need is a groom.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited
Get a pocket guide to the Games! **** ADVISORY: downloading this app There is lots of data in this app, and we update it regularly! Please be ...

Niall Horan: One Direction 'Organising' Next Album
After Zayn Malik confirmed his departure from One Direction last week, the remaining four members noted in a statement that "we're looking forward ...

Why India is so good at organising elections
INDIA’S general election is a massive affair. From April 7th to May 12th, across seven phases, 815m people will be eligible to cast votes in ...