TCP Packets in order?

When receiving "TCP Packets" using a network sniffer, are (1) the
packets guaranteed to be in order, or (2) does the application level
need to sort the packets based on the packet sequence number?

 From logging it looks like it is (2).

Although open source network sniffer project
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/owns/), seems to make the mistake of
assuming (1)!

-Rael
0
Rael

Rael wrote:

> When receiving "TCP Packets" using a network sniffer, are (1) the
> packets guaranteed to be in order, or (2) does the application level
> need to sort the packets based on the packet sequence number?

The underlying TCP stack handles packet ordering, the application layer does
not have to worry about that.  Packet sniffers, on the other hand, operate
at a lower level, logging packets as they come off of the network hardware
before the TCP stack sees them.

> From logging it looks like it is (2).

Maybe from a sniffer's perspective, but not from an application's perspective.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

[Delphi] send custom packet from DLL ( winsock ) from DLL-Form [Edit]
hello! i`we hooked winsocket recv-send! in DLL i have form who popup on dlls inject sucess and i need send custom packet to 'Send" from my form how it be posibly?? send(s,buf,len,flags); - dont work its work if i send it only from "DLL" if i use it in my DLL-"form" then nothing happens in DLL - sock:=s; Fla:=flags; in DLL"form" send(sock,buf,len,fla); dont work to.. meybe i do it wrong? .. Thank you! <Ronaldo DeVinche> wrote in message news:136126@forums.codegear.com... > i`we hooked winsocket recv-send! ...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE2 paint order change
Hello all, I have a program here that does some very specific work in the paint handlers and requires that the controls are painted from bottom to top. This worked just fine under Delphi 2007 but now that we have migrated to Delphi XE2, it no longer works. Tracing the paint order, we discovered that there are cases when the bottom most component (the form for instance) is drawn last instead of first, which means that the painting code we do in the program gets a black area for the bottom most control instead of its background. This was observed with D2007 and DXE2 on the same c...

delphi TCP
Hi, I would like to know, would this be the best method for creating a TCP socket in delphi? fStream : TWinSocketStream; TcpClient : TClientSocket; TcpClient := TClientSocket.Create(nil); TcpClient.Host := IPAddress; TcpClient.Port := Port; TcpClient.ClientType := ctBlocking; fStream := TWinSocketStream.Create(TcpClient.Socket, 1000); I heard somewhere that this method has a bug? If this is true is there any other more stable way to create a TCP stream? On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 01:17:09 -0700, Braden Murphy wrote: Braden, Please ask technic...

ORDER BY on an ORDER BY
I have a huge SQL-statement that picks the top 10 recently added rows from a table, for simplicity something like this:SELECT TOP 10  someDate, username FROM table ORDER BY someDate DESCWhen I have this table with the 10 rows with latest someDate  I want to sort the table by username instead. I want to do something like this:SELECT *FROM  (SELECT TOP 10  someDate, username FROM table ORDER BY someDate DESC) As Expr1ORDER BY username DESCMicrosoft Access, which is the database I use, then prints the error message "Error in GROUP BY clause.Unable to parse query text.&q...

Winsock TCP Connections..
Thanks in Advance.. I don't have any experience in tcp conectivity but I need to make a small aplication that can be listening to a IP and Port The requerement's are that this aplication can be in a server receiving information from over 700 concurrent connections all using the same port, so I need to open a Socket for each conection that is coming, receive then data and wait for more data, after 1 hour of no activity or data comming, I need to close the connection and release the socket for furder incomming connections. I already downloaded a n_winsock sampl...

Delphi XE ordering?
http://www.provantage.com/embarcadero-technologies-hdex00muenwb0~7BORM75L.htm is this allowed (to order) for a customer in EU? Rgds, Frenk > {quote:title=Frenk R wrote:}{quote} > http://www.provantage.com/embarcadero-technologies-hdex00muenwb0~7BORM75L.htm > > is this allowed (to order) for a customer in EU? > Rgds, > Frenk You have to purchase the product from the country where you will be using it the most. Provantage is a US reseller partner so you should purchase from a local partner instead. Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketing - RAD...

Spolicited TCP Packets
According to the Shields Up test solicited TCP packets received (failed). How do I fix this? I use the latest version of Zone Alarm. -- Have a good day, Mel Marcovitz Mel Marcovitz <mel_mark@pathcom.com> wrote: > According to the Shields Up test solicited TCP packets received (failed). > How do I fix this? I use the latest version of Zone Alarm. Hmm. Which scan did you use? I suggest you try all of them and see if they all agree. And copy and paste the text results from the All Services scan here so we can see what you are seeing. -- Robert List of List...

ORDER BY wrong order
Hi there, select DateRevised, TimeRevised, OrdModalityId from usr.OrdModality where DateRevised = '2004-04-07' and TransportUnitId = 67 order by TransportUNitid, daterevised asc,timerevised asc; Sorry pressed the wrong key.... See next post. "Majodi Ploegmakers" <nospam_mploegmakers@inforit.nl> wrote in message news:4075718b$1@forums-1-dub... > Hi there, > > > > select DateRevised, TimeRevised, OrdModalityId > > from usr.OrdModality > > where DateRevised = '2004-04-07' and TransportUnitId = 67 ...

ORDER BY incorrect order
Hi there, We get the wrong result (wrong order) for the following query: select DateRevised, TimeRevised, OrdModalityId from usr.OrdModality where DateRevised = '2004-04-07' and TransportUnitId = 67 order by daterevised asc,timerevised asc; The query uses an index on TransportUnitId, Daterevised, Timerevised We can correct this wrong behaviour either by appending ,* in the select statement OR by using TransportUnitId in the Order By exactly as the index. But why should this be necessary? Thanks, Majodi "Majodi Ploegmakers" <nospam_mploegmakers@...

failed solicited tcp packets
Hi, I am admittedly somewhat of a newbie but all my ports are stealthed (except 113 which is closed), my router doesn't respond to pings, etc. but I failed the solicited tcp packets portion of the test and am trying to find out how that happened and how to fix it. My machine runs Windows XP SP2 and I have a D-Link router that I thought was completely secure. Can someone help? Milton Cumpton wrote: > Hi, > > I am admittedly somewhat of a newbie but all my ports are stealthed (except > 113 which is closed), my router doesn't respond to pings, etc. but I ...

Tab Order Out Of Order
I have a web page with 3 textboxes. I want them to tab from the top one to the middle and then to the bottom one. I have tried acheiving this two ways. Firstly in the properties pane I set the tab index to 0 for the first, 1 for the second and 2 for the last textbox. When I run the code the focus starts on the first textbox then it jumps to the address box of internet explorer itself and then to the third textbox and finally to second textbox. Not quite what I had in mind. Secondly I tried putting this code in the Page_Load: Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, B...

Order / Order Items
Hi,I am trying to implement this concept in ASP.NET 2.0 in the best possible way.I have an Order and Order Items.I want to have a page where the user enters in some information about the order.. - Date - Customer Name - Shipping AddressAnd then they add some items to the order... (it can contain many) - Product Name - QTYI have tried to implement this using a FormView with a nested Grid View but I cannot get it to work. Then click create order, however I cannot get this to work, my question to you is how would you implement this concept in ASP.net on a single pa...

Packet sniffer component for delphi
hi, i want to write a packet sniff component for my company i am using delphi 7. is there any component about this. i have used snoop, but there is some problems with snoop. which component i must use. -- ibrahim Bulut ileti�im Online Ltd.�ti. Software and Database Expert Turkish Republic "ibrahim bulut" <i.bulut@iletisimonline.com> wrote in message news:c65vok$8ke$1@news.grc.com... > hi, > i want to write a packet sniff component for my company > i am using delphi 7. > > is there any component about this. > i have used snoop, but t...

Packet size TCP/IP
How can I determine the best packet size setting for TCP/IP? Of course I could do some tests but are there certain limits or things I should know about this? I can imagine when having large records I could get better performance using larger packet size. Also how can I check the setting I use will actual come across the network (I read some switches or network cards reset the packet size). Thanks, -- Majodi [ Majodi Ploegmakers 100757,662 ComBIT@TheOffice.net ] [And from glowing tongues of candles I heard her whisper in my ear ] [ ...

Web resources about - TCP Packets in order? - embarcadero.delphi.winsock

Packet switching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Packet switching is a digital networking communications method that groups all transmitted data – regardless of content, type, or structure – ...

Packet Sport (@Packetsport) on Twitter

Island Packet Newspaper app for iPhone - Local Breaking News, Weather & Sports for Hilton Head South ...
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Island Packet Newspaper app for iPhone - Local Breaking News, Weather ...

NSW Premier Mike Baird intervenes to pump up pay packets for top NSW public servants
Premier Mike Baird is intervening to boost the pay packets of some of&nbsp;the state's newest top public servants, despite his government's determination ...

ANZ's CEO pay packet closes in on $11m
ANZ'S outgoing chief executive Mike Smith annual pay packet has ticked higher to just under $11 million.

ANZ's CEO pay packet closes in on $11m - PerthNow Search Search
ANZ'S outgoing chief executive Mike Smith annual pay packet has ticked higher to just under $11 million.

TWU slams Joyce's $11.9m pay packet
The TWU says Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce's $11.9 million pay packet is an outrage to struggling staff.

Peppa Pig and Dora the Explorer children's crayons among packets found to contain asbestos
Stationery giant Officeworks is pulling crayons from its shelves for testing amid fears Australian children may have been exposed to asbestos. ...

Gina Rinehart moves to slash employee pay packets at Roy Hill mine
Australia's richest person Gina Rinehart wants workers at her $10 billion Roy Hill mine to take pay cuts&nbsp;to preserve jobs and &quot;family ...

Jarryd Hayne secures substantial pay packet with San Francisco 49ers in NFL, coach puts call out for ...
... months waiting to discover his fate, Jarryd Hayne has sealed his spot on the San Francisco 49ers 53-man roster - and a substantial pay packet. ...