Indy9 TIdDNSResolver

Hi

Is there a way to find out if compression and pointer were used in the
returned answer(s)?

I'm using v9 for testing my DNS server however that is written with Indy
10.. and 10's TIdDNSResolver for recursive queries. Most of that has been
very similar to use at the moment so whatever the answer is to v9, would it
be the same for v10 too?

Thanks :-)

JC
0
Justin

Justin wrote:

> Is there a way to find out if compression and pointer were used in the
> returned answer(s)?

TIdDNSResolver does not support compression/pointers at this time.  If you
need that, you have to parse the answers manually.  Result records do have
RData and RDataLength properties if you need to access the raw data.  Although
that would only work for local RData pointers, as compression based on RFC
1035 (which is mandatory in RFC 1123) requires access to the original DNS
message, which is not preserved after TIdDNSResolver finishes parsing it.

> I'm using v9 for testing my DNS server however that is written with
> Indy 10.. and 10's TIdDNSResolver for recursive queries. Most of that
> has been very similar to use at the moment so whatever the answer
> is to v9, would it be the same for v10 too?

The answer is - neither Indy 9 nor 10 support DNS compression at this time.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

"Remy Lebeau (TeamB)" <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> Justin wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to find out if compression and pointer were used in the
>> returned answer(s)?
>
> TIdDNSResolver does not support compression/pointers at this time.  If you
> need that, you have to parse the answers manually.  Result records do have
> RData and RDataLength properties if you need to access the raw data.
> Although
> that would only work for local RData pointers, as compression based on RFC
> 1035 (which is mandatory in RFC 1123) requires access to the original DNS
> message, which is not preserved after TIdDNSResolver finishes parsing it.
>
>> I'm using v9 for testing my DNS server however that is written with
>> Indy 10.. and 10's TIdDNSResolver for recursive queries. Most of that
>> has been very similar to use at the moment so whatever the answer
>> is to v9, would it be the same for v10 too?
>
> The answer is - neither Indy 9 nor 10 support DNS compression at this
> time.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Justin

Web resources about - Indy9 TIdDNSResolver - embarcadero.delphi.winsock