HELP! Source code lost! I need my old posts! [Edit]

Hello all,

Following a robbery where I lost my computer, backups, USB keys & external hard disks, I lost the source code for ALL applications I wrote in the last 5 years.

I need to rewrite a particular n-tier Indy10 (TCPServer/TCPClient) application for a client & I need access to my old posts & replies by Remy Lebeau. However my old posts are nowhere to be found & my forum history has been wiped clean! All this is happening at the wrong time.

Does anyone know if and where the old Winsock -> Indy10 posts have been archived?

Thanks a lot,

Jay Dee

Edited by: Jay Dee on Mar 25, 2015 1:23 PM

Edited by: Jay Dee on Mar 25, 2015 1:23 PM
0
Jay

> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:05:28 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:
>
> >> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}

> >> In my news reader....
> >
> >And where is your newsreader??
>
> Just had a look in my old archive of the Winsock subforum and found
> your sig in a sizable number of threads starting in April 2011...
> The last one was from May 23, 2014 just before the forum crashed.
>
> I have dumped all of my archive for this subforum dating back to 2008
> into a text file. It contains these threads along with all others and
> I could post them somewhere (maybe in attachments) if you are
> interested...
> The file follows the UNIX news format for message dumps.

I'm very interested. That would make my day.

Jay
3/25/2015 1:01:01 AM
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:06:57 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:

>> I have dumped all of my archive for this subforum dating back to 2008
>> into a text file. It contains these threads along with all others and
>> I could post them somewhere (maybe in attachments) if you are
>> interested...
>> The file follows the UNIX news format for message dumps.
>
>I'm very interested. That would make my day.

I have uploaded to attachments now. Size is 5+ MB and I am not sure it
got there all right.
Please check and report back. Might need to split the file into
smaller parts.
0
Bo
3/25/2015 1:01:01 AM
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:56:05 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:
>
> >How do I access the attachments? I've never done that before on this forum.
>
> https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=114091&tstart=0

Thanks a lot. I found what I was looking for. Have a wonderful day.

Jay Dee
0
Jay
3/25/2015 1:01:01 AM
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:24:11 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:

>Does anyone know if and where the old Winsock -> Indy10 posts have been archived?
In my news reader....
0
Bo
3/25/2015 1:02:40 PM
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:24:11 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if and where the old Winsock -> Indy10 posts have been archived?
> In my news reader....

And where is your newsreader??
0
Jay
3/25/2015 1:05:28 PM
> Following a robbery where I lost my computer, backups, USB keys & external hard disks, I lost the source code for ALL applications I wrote in the last 5 years.
Wow.. That's very sad news ! I think every software developer can sort of understand what this means. What a large loss.
0
Robert
3/25/2015 1:57:52 PM
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:05:28 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:

>> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:24:11 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know if and where the old Winsock -> Indy10 posts have been archived?
>> In my news reader....
>
>And where is your newsreader??

In my computer and on my backup server...

I have used Borland-Codegear-Embarcadero newsgroups since the 1990-es.
After being just news at some time they converted to being a web-based
forum, which in my mind is a bad choice in the first place.
But luckily they kept the news interface to the forums so I could
still use my newsreader (Forté Free Agent).
The thing is that with a newsreade you have the option of not retiring
old messages at all, so they are archived locally and will be visible
for eternity as long as you keep the data. And that is precisely what
I have done. I can use my reader and search through my archives
locally for answers when there is no Intrnet availale for example.
Of course I have to get on-line at regular intervals and update my
subscribed groups, but that goes without saying...

But the data is just as safe as the computer it sits on, so therefore
I have regular backups done too.
Seems like you have not done that....

Anyway, if you had experienced the loss a year ago you would still
have been able to retrieve some of the old posts from Embarcadero. But
following the Embarcadero forum server crash in late spring last year
it seems like they have lost all old history too.  :(
And they have big problems getting the server back into a stable
operating state even now almost 10 months later...
0
Bo
3/25/2015 2:16:19 PM
> old messages at all, so they are archived locally and will be visible
> for eternity as long as you keep the data. And that is precisely what
> I have done. I can use my reader and search through my archives
> locally for answers when there is no Intrnet availale for example.

Maybe a good start to create a special website ;-)
0
Robert
3/25/2015 2:24:53 PM
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:05:28 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:

> Anyway, if you had experienced the loss a year ago you would still
> have been able to retrieve some of the old posts from Embarcadero. But
> following the Embarcadero forum server crash in late spring last year
> it seems like they have lost all old history too.  :(
> And they have big problems getting the server back into a stable
> operating state even now almost 10 months later...

Yes my history is gone from Embarcadero website.
0
Jay
3/25/2015 2:37:05 PM
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:05:28 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:

>> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:24:11 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know if and where the old Winsock -> Indy10 posts have been archived?
>> In my news reader....
>
>And where is your newsreader??

Just had a look in my old archive of the Winsock subforum and found
your sig in a sizable number of threads starting in April 2011...
The last one was from May 23, 2014 just before the forum crashed.

I have dumped all of my archive for this subforum dating back to 2008
into a text file. It contains these threads along with all others and
I could post them somewhere (maybe in attachments) if you are
interested...
The file follows the UNIX news format for message dumps.
0
Bo
3/25/2015 2:46:29 PM
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:06:57 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:
>
> >> I have dumped all of my archive for this subforum dating back to 2008
> >> into a text file. It contains these threads along with all others and
> >> I could post them somewhere (maybe in attachments) if you are
> >> interested...
> >> The file follows the UNIX news format for message dumps.
> >
> >I'm very interested. That would make my day.
> >
> I have uploaded to attachments now. Size is 5+ MB and I am not sure it
> got there all right.
> Please check and report back. Might need to split the file into
> smaller parts.

How do I access the attachments? I've never done that before on this forum.
0
Jay
3/25/2015 3:56:05 PM
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:56:05 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:

>How do I access the attachments? I've never done that before on this forum.

https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=114091&tstart=0
0
Bo
3/25/2015 4:04:20 PM
Jay wrote:

> Following a robbery where I lost my computer, backups, USB keys
> & external hard disks, I lost the source code for ALL applications I
> wrote in the last 5 years.

I feel that pain.  I had something similar happen a few years ago:

Loss of data!
http://blog.lebeausoftware.org/?p=39

> Does anyone know if and where the old Winsock -> Indy10 posts have
> been archived?

Unfortunately, Embarcadero's entire archive was corrupted and wiped clean
in a big database crash last year (and they went on record stating that their
server was never intended to maintain a persistant archive in the first place,
the fact that it had done so was a fluke).  So you have to rely on 3rd party
archives, such as http://www.codenewsfast.com.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
<no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote:

>I feel that pain.  I had something similar happen a few years ago:
>
>Loss of data!
>http://blog.lebeausoftware.org/?p=39

Gosh, did you succeed in salvaging any of that?

FWIW: I was part of the CVSNT project back in the early 2000's and
Tony Hoyle (project head) ran a newsserver interface to a mailing list
at the time. That crashed and he lost all history, but I could provide
an up to date news cache from my PC (same newsreader then as now) and
he could rebuild the news server.

Seems like you have to have a backup server to back up your data to
and then another backup server to back up the backup server's data...

>> Does anyone know if and where the old Winsock -> Indy10 posts have
>> been archived?
>
>Unfortunately, Embarcadero's entire archive was corrupted and wiped clean
>in a big database crash last year (and they went on record stating that their
>server was never intended to maintain a persistant archive in the first place,
>the fact that it had done so was a fluke).  So you have to rely on 3rd party
>archives, such as http://www.codenewsfast.com.

I had a look and it seems like Jay Dee could be searched in the
winsock forum using this search term:
Dee ^winsock

However,
when I search for myself I get the latest hit (of 388) dated August
2014 and I have posted there a number of times after that time.
So it might not alweays work to get the complete picture, maybe they
lost interest when the server crashed so much...

Nifty site well worth to bookmark anyway!

Thanks for the link!
0
Bo
3/25/2015 9:52:02 PM
Bo wrote:

> Gosh, did you succeed in salvaging any of that?

Nope, not one single file yet :(  And it has been 4.5 years now:

Status Update
http://blog.lebeausoftware.org/?p=41

To be fair, I haven't been pursuing it, though.  I tucked the corrupted hard
drives away for safe keeping and moved on.  Someday I want to go back and
recover them, I lost a lot of code I was workin on at the time.

> Seems like you have to have a backup server to back up your data to
> and then another backup server to back up the backup server's data...

Yup, sadly.  I haven't implemented that secondary backup yet, either.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

| I have uploaded to attachments now. Size is 5+ MB and I am not sure it
| got there all right.

You're a cool-cat, Bo!!!

Quentin
3/26/2015 10:06:05 PM
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:06:05 -0700, Quentin Correll
<qcorrell@pacNObell.net> wrote:

>You're a cool-cat, Bo!!!

:)
0
Bo
3/26/2015 10:07:54 PM
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:06:05 -0700, Quentin Correll
> <qcorrell@pacNObell.net> wrote:
>
> >You're a cool-cat, Bo!!!
> >

> :)

I'm happy to inform you all that my application is back online (LAN part, Internet part not functional yet) as at yesterday 29 April 2015 thanks to the archived posts I was able to retrieve from Bo Berglund. There are still many features missing in the application but at least my client can start real-time data entry again after 3 hard months of coding and very little rest on my part.

Thanks a million.

Jay Dee
0
Jay
> Bo wrote:
>
> > Gosh, did you succeed in salvaging any of that?
>
> Nope, not one single file yet :(  And it has been 4.5 years now:
>
> Status Update
> http://blog.lebeausoftware.org/?p=41
>
> To be fair, I haven't been pursuing it, though.  I tucked the corrupted hard
> drives away for safe keeping and moved on.  Someday I want to go back and
> recover them, I lost a lot of code I was workin on at the time.
>
> > Seems like you have to have a backup server to back up your data to
> > and then another backup server to back up the backup server's data...
>
> Yup, sadly.  I haven't implemented that secondary backup yet, either.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Saw in your post about OnTrack... my old job that I worked from 99-07, working in PC/MAC/Printer repair, we used onTrack as a recovery option.
It was costly, but man, they were able to pull stuff off some pretty banged up drives. Some that were in fires, floods, drive dropped down set of stairs, ect.

No idea of the track record now, but at least then, we had a lot of happy people using their service.
0
steven
4/30/2015 4:08:15 PM
On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 01:55:43 -0700, Jay Dee <> wrote:

>I'm happy to inform you all that my application is back online (LAN part,
>Internet part not functional yet) as at yesterday 29 April 2015 thanks
>to the archived posts I was able to retrieve from Bo Berglund. There
>are still many features missing in the application but at least my
>client can start real-time data entry again after 3 hard months of
>coding and very little rest on my part.
>
>Thanks a million.

Glad I could help!

Still, I think it is very bad that Embarcadero still after almost a
full year of server issues does not succeed in detting the forum
engine stable.
It is off-line most of the times I check it nowadays.
Just imagine what this does to the attendance of people who could
potentially help with advice....

---
Bo Berglund
Sweden & Texas
Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.92/32.572
0
Bo

Need help...ajax posting to main site code instead of subdomain site code
I have a demo site that is set up on a different server than the live site is setup.  The strange thing is that if I hit the demo site it actually seems to be using the live sites code...any help would be great  thanks I am not clear what is your issue. but i can say check your code properly or if possible paste your code (which page is redirecting to live site)  here to identify why it is going to live site. i am sure until unless it will not get a ref. to live site it will not go . so some where in your code you have mention that live site path.     &nb...

need your help on source code
i am webmaster thta hired a international devlopmnet team to build a website in asp.net. They have the uncomplied source code . is there any way to get into the site and gain access to the coce if the development iteam s not cooperative in giving me acess to the complet code and source files.extension files VS.NET solution file and project files Hi, it depends on how they did their deployment. Because vs.net 2003 uses code behind files by default the output of a compilation of the code results in an assembly that's put in the bin subfolder. So if the development team only de...

need help with editing this code
 hi I wrote this code for a button click event of a button placed in the item template of a datalist control. I'm using the datalist control to display data (User postings) from my database. So far i've managed to make it move one column from Articles table to Postings by the ArticleID which i have to enter in my code. My problem comes with my sql statement, whenever i try to move more than one column  from the Articles table to the Postings table, i get an incorrect syntax error.1. Can anyone help me edit my sql statement so that more than one column is moved?2.Also, ...

I need help for editting this code ....
Hi I found very good example for searching and desplaying the result with paging and numbering , but i want to desplay the result in repeater control can any one please edite the code so the result will be desplayed in repeater control ??? her is the code ... [ Database is northwind] <%-- '************************************************************************************ '* ADO.NET Data Paging Sample Script '* by Konstantin Vasserman '* December 2001 '************************************************************************************--%> <%@ Page La...

Help needed in translating C code to Delphi
I have downloaded a C SDK to control a Nikon D5200 camera from a PC. I don't currently work in C so I have translated the some of the C libraries to Delphi. I have also translated a C console test application to control the camera into a Delphi console application. The problem is that the Delphi console application does not behave the same as the C test application supplied by Nikon. Is there anyone who can check my translation and help me to get the camera test application to work in Delphi? I have translated about 2000 lines of C code and that is all I need for the moment. ...

Need Help Converting some VB Code to Delphi
I'm working with a vendor that has created a dll that I'm working with. The vendor has supplied some VB code as a sample but I'm trying to convert it so it will work in Delphi. Here is the code, I'm attempting to convert to Delphi. Can anyone help with this? Thanks, Tom MySettings.FieldList = New String() {FieldList.Settings.RunDate _ , FieldList.Settings.TradeDate _ , FieldList.Settings.TreasuryCurve _ , FieldList.Settings.AR...

Need Help with WebControls Source Code ASAP
Hi,How come the source code for the DNNTreeview is not available anymore for version 3.2.2? or is it just me? Where could i get the source. Thanks,MarkVMark V. VillahermosaDumaguete City, PhilippinesSoftware Developer Found It.hehehehethe core team has made it into a provider model in the new version. :DMark V. VillahermosaDumaguete City, PhilippinesSoftware Developer...

Format Source feature under 2010
Hi I like to code assignment statements in a list as illustrated below (personal preference that I find this style easire to read than if there were no white space after AsString and the assignment) Note: the := are all in a vertical list when I wrote the message though when I viewed the message later in the newsgroup, the white space had vanished! JobTableCALL_TYPE.AsString := 'ROUTINE'; JobTableSTATUS.AsString := 'COMPLETE'; JobTableRECALL.AsString := 'N'; JobTableMATERIALS.AsString := '...

Needs Help With Fixing Code for a More Advanced Editable DataGrid
I need help with fixing the code in one of my more advanced datagrids. This datagrid has a search feature. Can someone please help me to resolve the problem with the connection information below. I am currently getting the following error message:Compiler Error Message: BC30451: Name 'objConnect' is not declared.Source Error: Line 201: strAmountID = dtgPayments.DataKeys( e.Item.ItemIndex ) Line 202: strDelete = "Delete Amounts Where AmountID=@AmountID" Line 203: cmdDelete = New SqlCommand( strDelete, objConnect) Code for BindDataGrid:  '---------------------...

Needs Help with Code for Deleting a Value from an Editable DataGrid
I am getting the following error message: Parser Error Message: Type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.EditCommandColumn' does not have a property named 'DeleteText'.Source Error: Line 100: HeaderText="Month/Year" Line 101: DataField="Month_Year" /> Line 102: <asp:EditCommandColumn Line 103: EditText="Edit!" Line 104: DeleteText="Delete!"I'd like to be able to delete a record from this editable datagrid. Can someone please show me how to fix this problem?Here's some significiant parts of my code: Sub dtrMonthInfo_EditCommand( s As Object, e As DataGridCommandEventArg...

Delphi generated code needs to be improved ASAP [Edit]
This is a post from a chess developer creator of Critter a very strong engine in another forum (not me): Post subject: Critter: Pascal vs C Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:17 am In the past 2 months I was experimenting with bitboards. At the point I had working board class and captures/evasions/checks generator, I fell in love with them. My only concern was speed. I am very disappointed with the performance of delphi compiled code. Looking through the disassembly of generated code the compiler seems to be 15 years behind any decent C compiler out there. Inlining sucks, register allocati...

Need some help on an error in Datagrid Paging (code in post)
I'm trying to get the paging to work in a datagrid based on the Users module (user.ascx) Broker.ascx.vb Private Sub BindData(ByVal SearchText As String, ByVal SearchField As String)     Dim objBrokerController As New BrokerController     Dim objBrokerList As ArrayList     objBrokerList = objBrokerController.GetAll(CurrentPage - 1, PageSize, TotalRecords)     ... End Sub BrokerController.vb         Public Function GetAll(ByVal CurrentPage As Integer, ByVal PageSize As Integer, By...

Need help with coding using the SAP Business one software business object(Need urgent Help)
 I face problem with inserting order record into the Database so Anybody using the SAP business one software and inserting data from webfront and pass it to a webservice and execute the insert process using the SAP Business one business object.My coding is incomplete as i am trying to insert the headers first before i enter the lines or my product. Could anybody teach me or advice me with the syntax.I need urgent help. I am doing my Final Year polytechnic project i only left with few days to complete my project. Need urgent help. Code at coding behind page:  Private Function GetBla...

Web resources about - HELP! Source code lost! I need my old posts! [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.winsock

Book sources - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page links to catalogs of libraries, booksellers, and other book sources where you will be able to search for the book with ISBN 9780226467313 ...

Microsoft open sources Live Writer, beloved but abandoned blogging tool
Another day, another "Microsoft open sources something" story. At the weekend it was the Chakra JavaScript engine . This time, it's Live Writer, ...

Open Live Writer is an open source fork of Windows Live Writer
Microsoft’s blog editor Windows Live Writer has been revived with an independent open-source fork, Open Live Writer. OLW’s first release allows ...

Geneva police hunting 5 suspects related to Paris attacks, source says
CNN Geneva police hunting 5 suspects related to Paris attacks, source says CNN (CNN) Geneva, Switzerland, is on high alert as police search ...

Geneva police hunt 5 related to Paris attacks, source says - CNN.com
Heavy security remains in Geneva as authorities search for terror suspects after tip from United States

Geneva police hunting 5 suspects related to Paris attacks, source says
The Globe and Mail Geneva police hunting 5 suspects related to Paris attacks, source says CNN (CNN) — Geneva, Switzerland, was on high alert ...

It lives! Volunteers from Microsoft release open-source fork of Windows Live Writer
A group of Microsoft engineers today made good on a June promise and released an open-source version of the venerable Windows Live Writer, a ...

Facebook makes the hardware it uses for AI open-source
You might not think of it often, but behind the scenes Facebook uses a lot of artificial intelligence. The company leans heavy on AI, using machine ...

EXCLUSIVE: Anna and Josh Duggar Are Writing Love Letters to Each Other, Source Says
EXCLUSIVE: Anna and Josh Duggar Are Writing Love Letters to Each Other, Source Says

Facebook Open Sources Its 'Big Sur' AI Servers
The company hopes to accelerate innovation around deep learning by contributing the GPU-based system designs to the OCP.