General question about transferring records over the internet.

Hi

I've recently been looking into the idea of a small dns server for my LAN.
I've looked at the pre-existing solutions out there but none seem to offer
the requirements that i wanted. So with that in mind i hit google starting
with the word delphi and expected to come up with a blank as usual. It
almost did but one german forum has some clever chap posting how he did it
with the basics of his source code.. (avoiding indy 10s component due to
lack of samples before anyone wonders.. that and i want to use a database
not zone files)

Now he's been very clever about the way he handles a dns record / request /
reply by using a record with sub records and using booleans to represent
each bit etc.

My question(s) (and forgive me if it / they are stupid)..

Is this how all data records / packets are built / dismantled / formed /
taken apart?
Are records and packets the same thing?

Now the way i see it is that being a protocol, each program at each end
regardless of language will have to do it's magic exactly the same way (that
is read bytes / bits in the same sequence) but i can't help but wonder, does
that mean other languages also use something like a record to do it or is
there another magic technique that delphi and others can use?

Justin

Ok forgive me, dumb question. When I looked into the source more it was
picking the fields out of the data one by one and adding them a stream!
That'll teach me..

JC

"Justin Case" <questorx1998-embar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've recently been looking into the idea of a small dns server for my LAN.
> I've looked at the pre-existing solutions out there but none seem to offer
> the requirements that i wanted. So with that in mind i hit google starting
> with the word delphi and expected to come up with a blank as usual. It
> almost did but one german forum has some clever chap posting how he did it
> with the basics of his source code.. (avoiding indy 10s component due to
> lack of samples before anyone wonders.. that and i want to use a database
> not zone files)
>
> Now he's been very clever about the way he handles a dns record / request
> / reply by using a record with sub records and using booleans to represent
> each bit etc.
>
> My question(s) (and forgive me if it / they are stupid)..
>
> Is this how all data records / packets are built / dismantled / formed /
> taken apart?
> Are records and packets the same thing?
>
> Now the way i see it is that being a protocol, each program at each end
> regardless of language will have to do it's magic exactly the same way
> (that is read bytes / bits in the same sequence) but i can't help but
> wonder, does that mean other languages also use something like a record to
> do it or is there another magic technique that delphi and others can use?
>
> Thanks
0
Justin

delphi.internet.winsock: text and base64
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_18c8b.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" See message in delphi.internet.winsock group. --JivePart=_18c8b.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="buffer1.JPG" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="buffer1.JPG" /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDAAgGBgcGBQgHBwcJCQgKDBQNDAsLDBkSEw8UHRofHh0a HBwgJC4nICIsIxwcKDcpLDAxNDQ0Hyc5PTgyPC4zN...

delphi.internet.winsock
I was having some issues with XanaNews so I went to the Emb web version and was getting... delphi.internet.winsock - group not available. The server is throwing HTTP Status 500. Anyone else having trouble with newsgroups. Many other groups seem ok. -- Ray El 02/02/2014 8:05, Raymond Alexander escribió: > I was having some issues with XanaNews so I went to the Emb web version > and was getting... > > delphi.internet.winsock - group not available. > > The server is throwing HTTP Status 500. > > Anyone else having trouble with newsgroups. ...

General bootstrap questions: Delphi 7, pascal
Hi, This might be a bit inchoherant. I am sorry of that is the case but I have inherited a collection of languishing Delphi Projects in Pascal. I do not know Pascal and this is nearly my into to Delphi. Delphi 7 is running in a Windows XP VirtualMachine instance. The project in question uses several third party libraries / tools. Basically, I don't know where to start so I'll start at the beginning and hope you guys can help. I first inherited these projects almost two years ago. For the most part they work. There is one project, however, that needs to have a few "mag...

A general question about supporting offline databases
I am a bit of a newbie with Delphi databases, we've been using Delphi for 15 years but we have always used a proprietary binary data format. We now want to switch to an SQL file format. For now we're working with SQLITE, so the Java and C# guys in our shop can read the file too. We have all the latest tools now, XE5 with FireDAC, Datasnap, REST etc. I am very, very impressed with what we can do now. Currently, we have a Delphi desktop app that controls the data file, and use XMLRPC calls from the clients to send and receive transactions. We have what we call a "refresh&...

General question on the concept of integer handling in Delphi 2009
I found in system.pas new names "NativeInt" and "NativeUInt". According to all computer languages worldwide, Integer (and Cardinal) is *already* a native integer that represents the CPU register for best performance etc... What will happen in Delphi 2010 Win64 ??? I don't want to change Integer to NativeInt in my code thousand times to get adequate performance. > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > I found in system.pas new names "NativeInt" and "NativeUInt". Interesting. > According to all computer languages wor...

General Question about using indy components for intranet vs. internet
I have been using TIdTCPServer and TIdTCPClient on a LAN to exchange strings and files between computers on the LAN. To expand this concept to the internet where the PC's are in different locations using internet service providers, is peer to peer possible over the internet, or does a Server Computer need to be set up to connect the other 2 computers? Can the 2 computers function as both a Server and Client? I know many of the indy components work over the internet eg.TidHttp, TidSMTP, etc. In general, wh at is the simplest way to set up a Chat program that works over the internet instead...

Delphi and Delphi Prism licensing question
When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence" or a "workstation licence"? Can I install both products on two machines I use with the same licence keys? I have a Mac Pro ("Cyrus") running Vista 64 in VMware and a MacBook ("Blacky") running Vista 32 in Parallels. Can I install Delphi and Delphi Prism on both Cyrus and Blacky since I use both machines (and like to have all dev tools I use installed on both machines at all times)? Andrew Brehm wrote: > When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence...

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

automate form question and general http questions

MARC::Record question: How to update created records before writing?
I'm a newbie trying to wrap my computer science mind around MARC, and at = the same time write a program to translate a database of reproductive = health behavior change communication materials (i.e., posters to encourage = condom use) into MARC records. My ultimate goal is to import them into = Koha to manage the collection. I have fields like these in my existing database: PROD - Producer's name ADP - Producer's address CTYP - Producer's city etc. Any or all of these could be missing. I'd like to create a 270 record (I think) from this information. I'...

anim_parrot_logo.imc: .include question + general imcc questions
Hello, While looking at Chromatic's anim_parrot_logo.imc (in examples/sdl), I was wondering why the includes weren't at the same place. Indeed, the source reads: ..sub _main _init() _MAIN() end ..end ..include "library/sdl_types.imc" ..pcc_sub _init prototyped .include "library/sdl.pasm" .pcc_begin_return .pcc_end_return ..end Why does: ..sub _main _init() _MAIN() end ..end ..include "library/sdl_types.imc" ..include "library/sdl.pasm" fails with: error:imcc:parse error, unexpec...

windows ME questions, questions, questions.......
Hi, my next PC will be running Windows ME. The PC will be supplied via my work, so there's no choice here for me (ME?) (I think I would have preferred 98 SE). The harddisk (40GB matrox) will have ME installed, and both the Windows ME set-up files and an image of the initial Harddisk 'on a hidden partition'. Word has it that this partition is not seen by Format nor FDisk. Is this really possible? No Windows CD will be supplied. Seems a new way of MS to encourage working with licensed software only. Anyone familiar with this way of distributing an OS? Will I be able to ...

General Question.
Name: Meredith Product: Firefox Summary: General Question. Comments: I've tried out Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5, but it takes such a long time for it to open up after I have double click on it. I did not have any trouble opening up the Beta 1, but had already experienced delay with Beta 5. Also, the address bar for Beta 5 is quite annoying. Every time I typed a url into the bar, it kept on displaying a list of addresses in the scroll down window. That is quite annoying to see. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/20...

General Questions
hi all I am having trouble finding answer for the following questions if anyone knows any answers from these questions please do reply as soon as possible! thanks 1. What is the PFC Application Manager and how is used in PFC applications? And, describe the details of the relationship of the PowerBuilder Application Object to the PFC Application Manager. 2. Describe the steps required to create a MDI application using PFC from scratch in sequence and where appropriate indicate why the sequence is necessary. (At least, one complete sentence per step.) Where and how c...

Web resources about - General question about transferring records over the internet. - embarcadero.delphi.winsock

Morrison defends transferring asylum seekers
Scott Morrison has defended transferring 157 asylum-seekers to Nauru without the knowledge of their lawyers.

Transferring properties to my SMSF
What are the rules about transferring properties I own to my SMSF?

Alabama quarterback Phillip Ely is transferring to Toledo - al.com
... Illinois and Boston College were among the other schools he considered, according to his father. TUSCALOOSA, Alabama Phillip Ely is transferring ...

Syria: Peace talks not for transferring power
Foreign minister says government will take part in planned Geneva talks to form a "national unity government".

Transferring Video to a PC
Q: I’m in the midst of creating a photo slide show and would like to include video, but am not sure if/how I can properly transfer video to ...

Dish Anywhere Will Soon Include Content Transferring For All iOS Devices
... Black Friday Apple Deals Announced From Best Buy, Walmart . DISH Anywhere Hopper Transfers Dish Anywhere Will Soon Include Content Transferring ...

iPad: Transferring your cellular data plan to a new iPad (3rd generation)
This article explains how to transfer an existing iPad cellular data plan to a new iPad (3rd generation).

LinkedIn app under scrutiny for transferring iOS calendar entries
Security researchers are criticizing LinkedIn's iOS app for a feature that automatically transfers iOS calendar entries to the company's servers. ...

Kim Dotcom: “I’m officially broke” after transferring remaining assets
Megaupload founder a "flight risk" before 2015 extradition hearing, NZ says.