How to integrate the Delphi application into Windows Explorer?

I would like my application to integrate into the Windows Explorer
pop-up menu in a manner similar to what WinZip, TortoiseSVN and others
do. But I don't know how it is done....
Can someone here please give me some pointers (and possibly example
code) on how it is done?
I need it to work on all Win OS:es from XP-Pro except XP-Pro X64.
The most important now is of course support for Win7 and Win7x64.

TIA

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I need it to work on all Win OS:es from XP-Pro except XP-Pro X64.
> The most important now is of course support for Win7 and Win7x64.

The latest Delphi version only supports 32bit code, but shell extension
on 64bit win must be 64bit too. This means that you can't use Delphi
for your project right now.

ain
0
Ain
11/19/2010 12:04:37 AM
"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I would like my application to integrate into the Windows
> Explorer pop-up menu in a manner similar to what WinZip,
> TortoiseSVN and others do. But I don't know how it is done....

They use DLLs that implement the COM IShellExtInit and IContextMenu
interfaces.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee453696.aspx

> I need it to work on all Win OS:es from XP-Pro except XP-Pro X64.
> The most important now is of course support for Win7 and Win7x64.

Delphi cannot produce a 64-bit DLL yet, so you will not be able to use this
approach in Win7 x64, at least for the 64-bit version of Windows Explorer
(64-bit Windows versions do have a 32-bit version of Windows Explorer
available if WOW64 is installed).

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
<no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote:

>"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> I would like my application to integrate into the Windows
>> Explorer pop-up menu in a manner similar to what WinZip,
>> TortoiseSVN and others do. But I don't know how it is done....
>
>They use DLLs that implement the COM IShellExtInit and IContextMenu
>interfaces.
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee453696.aspx
>
>> I need it to work on all Win OS:es from XP-Pro except XP-Pro X64.
>> The most important now is of course support for Win7 and Win7x64.
>
>Delphi cannot produce a 64-bit DLL yet, so you will not be able to use this
>approach in Win7 x64, at least for the 64-bit version of Windows Explorer
>(64-bit Windows versions do have a 32-bit version of Windows Explorer
>available if WOW64 is installed).

Is it possible to create a 64 bit dll according to the specifications
and then use that for calling 32 bit programs?
I don't think that TortoiseSVN is a 64 bit program for example...

And can FPC be used to create the DLL (64 bit) and then set it up to
call my 32 bit Delphi program???

If that is possible, could it be that one can develop a *generic* dll
that can be configured to integrate any 32 bit program into the
context menu? that would be very good for a range of programs that
have lost their context menus on Win7x64.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
<ask@when.you.really.need.it> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> I need it to work on all Win OS:es from XP-Pro except XP-Pro X64.
>> The most important now is of course support for Win7 and Win7x64.
>
>The latest Delphi version only supports 32bit code, but shell extension
>on 64bit win must be 64bit too. This means that you can't use Delphi
>for your project right now.

I am not really sure about that....
I have a number of programs that I have installed in Win7x64 and which
show up their context menus while I believe that they really are 32
bit applications.
Examples:
- TortoiseSVN
- Notepad++ v 5.7

And then there are those that did on 32 bit Windows but not on x64:
- Ultraedit v. 8.20
- GPGee
- GPGshell

All of the above are 32 bit applications yet some still have the
ability to show the context menu while others don't.
How very strange if it is a requirement that there must be a 64 bit
dll in the background for Win7x64...

Or is it possible to *just* make the dll using a 64 bit tool (like FPC
possibly) and then make that dll somehow handle the 32 bit application
start?
--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> I would like my application to integrate into the Windows Explorer
> pop-up menu in a manner similar to what WinZip,

I may be missing something, but to include your program in the pop-up menu, you simply add it to the registry (regardless of Windows version). Here's some old, working code:

procedure MakeRegEntry;
var
  reg: TRegistry;
begin
  reg := TRegistry.Create;
  try
  // add right-click menu item
  // add appropriate pointer to the .exe file and a parameter string placeholder
  if cbRegistry.Checked = True then
  with reg do
  begin
    RootKey := HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT;
    if OpenKey ('\Folder\shell', False) then
      if OpenKey ('\Folder\shell\My Program\command', True) then
        WriteString ('', Application.ExeName + ' "%1"');
  end
  else // delete entry if uncecked
  with reg do
  begin
    RootKey := HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT;
    if OpenKey ('\Folder\shell', False) then
      begin
        DeleteKey('My Program');
      end;
  end;
  finally
    reg.Free;
  end;
end;

And then, on FormShow:

if ParamCount > 0 then dosomething

Hope this helps.

Jarle
0
Jarle
11/19/2010 8:22:13 AM
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}
> I don't think that TortoiseSVN is a 64 bit program for example...

TortoiseSVN is available in a 64 version too, on
http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

32 Bit 	TortoiseSVN-1.6.11.20210-win32-svn-1.6.13.msi
64 Bit 	TortoiseSVN-1.6.11.20210-x64-svn-1.6.13.msi

Cheers
--
Michael Justin
0
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 00:22:13 -0800, Jarle Aasland <> wrote:

>> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
>> I would like my application to integrate into the Windows Explorer
>> pop-up menu in a manner similar to what WinZip,
>
>I may be missing something, but to include your program in the pop-up menu, you simply add it to the registry (regardless of Windows version). Here's some old, working code:
>
>procedure MakeRegEntry;
>var
>  reg: TRegistry;
>begin
>  reg := TRegistry.Create;
>  try
>  // add right-click menu item
>  // add appropriate pointer to the .exe file and a parameter string placeholder
>  if cbRegistry.Checked = True then
>  with reg do
>  begin
>    RootKey := HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT;
>    if OpenKey ('\Folder\shell', False) then
>      if OpenKey ('\Folder\shell\My Program\command', True) then
>        WriteString ('', Application.ExeName + ' "%1"');
>  end
>  else // delete entry if uncecked
>  with reg do
>  begin
>    RootKey := HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT;
>    if OpenKey ('\Folder\shell', False) then
>      begin
>        DeleteKey('My Program');
>      end;
>  end;
>  finally
>    reg.Free;
>  end;
>end;
>
>And then, on FormShow:
>
>if ParamCount > 0 then dosomething
>
>Hope this helps.

Yes, somewhat...
The example is showing what happens if a *folder* is the target of the
context menu, I guess.

I opened RegEdit on my Win7X64 PC and located the HKCR/Folder item
there and I found that PaintShopPro had installed a "browser" that
way.

But when I located and looked at the "file" item and found nothing
there at all (except a subiten CLSID).

So how are you doing it with a *file* as the target?

For example if I rightclick a file I want my program to be one of the
possible items to use: "Open with MyProgram"
And this should launch MyProgram with the selected file as parameter 1
on the command line.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> So how are you doing it with a *file* as the target?

Ok. I *did* miss something. You may want to take a look at this one (haven't used it myself):

http://www.contextmenu.org/

Jarle
0
Jarle
11/19/2010 8:07:26 PM
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:46:56 -0800, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund@nospam.com> wrote:

I found an old post from back in January in thirdpartytools.general
where there was a link that helped me:
http://www.gnostice.com/nl_article.asp?id=168&t=Copy_File_Path_and_Name_using_Windows_Explorer_Context_Menu_Extensions

With this I could manually create a context menu entry for some of the
missing programs. So now I have UltraEdit back in business...

I am still investigating the DLL way where one can create a submenu
and add an icon, but that requires a COM style DLL and it needs to be
compiled in 64 bit to be recognized by Win7X64.
Whatever it calls does not have to be 64 bit though.

I also saw a hint that made me look closer at what I already have on
my PC:
In the Delphi7 install dir there is a Demos subdir, which contains
subfolder ActiveX/ShellExt where I found a complete Delphi example of
a dll to register a plugin which creates a submenu too.
32 bit of course, but I will try to get it running in FPC because then
it can be compiled to 64 bit too.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

> I am not really sure about that....
> I have a number of programs that I have installed in Win7x64 and
> which show up their context menus while I believe that they really
> are 32 bit applications.

A 32-bit COM object can be loaded in a 64-bit process only if the COM object
is implemented as an out-of-process (aka EXE) server.  That is not the case
with Shell Extensions, which must be implemented as in-process (aka DLL)
servers.

There is one exception to this rule - in some circumstances, an 32-bit
in-process COM server can use the DllSurrogate registry key to tell Windows
to host the DLL inside a special 32-bit out-of-process proxy wrapper so it
can be accessed by 64-bit processes:

When I recently had to port my 32-bit Shell Extension to 64-bit, I could not
get it to work with the DllSurrogate feature, though.

> All of the above are 32 bit applications yet some still have the
> ability to show the context menu while others don't.

Not all context menus are controlled by Shell Extensions.  Some can be
controlled by Registry instead, and they work equally in 32-bit and 64-bit
(provided they exist in both 32-bit and 64-bit views of the Registry).
However, when cascading sub-menus are involved, those are definately Shell
Extension DLLs.

> How very strange if it is a requirement that there must be a 64
> bit dll in the background for Win7x64...

Why is that strange?  Shell Extensions are DLLs.  Windows Explorer is a
64-bit process on 64-bit Windows versions.  A 64-bit process cannot load a
32-bit DLL.

> Or is it possible to *just* make the dll using a 64 bit tool (like FPC
> possibly)

You can use FPC to make a 64-bit DLL.  You just cannot use Delphi to do that
(yet).

> then make that dll somehow handle the 32 bit application start?

A 32-bit application cannot use a 64-bit DLL, and vice versa.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
<Jarle Aasland> wrote in message news:307048@forums.embarcadero.com...

> I may be missing something, but to include your program
> in the pop-up menu, you simply add it to the registry
> (regardless of Windows version).

That depends on the nature of the menu items being used.  Simple actions can
be done with the Registry, but more complex actions (like displaying
sub-menus) cannot.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:07:26 -0800, Jarle Aasland <> wrote:

>> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
>> So how are you doing it with a *file* as the target?
>
>Ok. I *did* miss something. You may want to take a look at this one (haven't used it myself):
>
>http://www.contextmenu.org/
>
>Jarle

Further reading showed that I can put whatever I need into the context
menu that can be solved by opening a target application with the file
path as a command line parameter.
It is done by entering Registry entries into the key HKCR/*
These entries will show up in Win7x64 too. So I have added my
Ultraedit item this way.
Still to have a more sophisticated submenu system you need a plug-in
DLL that has to be 64 bit.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
> I am still investigating the DLL way where one can create a submenu
> and add an icon, but that requires a COM style DLL and it needs to be
> compiled in 64 bit to be recognized by Win7X64.
> Whatever it calls does not have to be 64 bit though.
>
> I also saw a hint that made me look closer at what I already have on
> my PC:
> In the Delphi7 install dir there is a Demos subdir, which contains
> subfolder ActiveX/ShellExt where I found a complete Delphi example of
> a dll to register a plugin which creates a submenu too.
> 32 bit of course, but I will try to get it running in FPC because then
> it can be compiled to 64 bit too.

If you want to use FPC you will probably need to translate the virtual function table layout from c

If you have the Windows sdk header files you'll find IShellExtInit and IContextMenu in ShObjIdl.h

The c definition looks like this:

typedef struct IShellExtInitVtbl
    {
        BEGIN_INTERFACE

        HRESULT ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *QueryInterface )(
            IShellExtInit * This,
            /* [in] */ REFIID riid,
            /* [annotation][iid_is][out] */
            __RPC__deref_out  void **ppvObject);

        ULONG ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *AddRef )(
            IShellExtInit * This);

        ULONG ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *Release )(
            IShellExtInit * This);

        HRESULT ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *Initialize )(
            IShellExtInit * This,
            /* [annotation][unique][in] */
            __in_opt  PCIDLIST_ABSOLUTE pidlFolder,
            /* [annotation][unique][in] */
            __in_opt  IDataObject *pdtobj,
            /* [annotation][unique][in] */
            __in_opt  HKEY hkeyProgID);

        END_INTERFACE
    } IShellExtInitVtbl;

    interface IShellExtInit
    {
        CONST_VTBL struct IShellExtInitVtbl *lpVtbl;
    };

typedef struct IContextMenuVtbl
    {
        BEGIN_INTERFACE

        HRESULT ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *QueryInterface )(
            IContextMenu * This,
            /* [in] */ REFIID riid,
            /* [annotation][iid_is][out] */
            __RPC__deref_out  void **ppvObject);

        ULONG ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *AddRef )(
            IContextMenu * This);

        ULONG ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *Release )(
            IContextMenu * This);

        HRESULT ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *QueryContextMenu )(
            IContextMenu * This,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  HMENU hmenu,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  UINT indexMenu,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  UINT idCmdFirst,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  UINT idCmdLast,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  UINT uFlags);

        HRESULT ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *InvokeCommand )(
            IContextMenu * This,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  CMINVOKECOMMANDINFO *pici);

        HRESULT ( STDMETHODCALLTYPE *GetCommandString )(
            IContextMenu * This,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  UINT_PTR idCmd,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  UINT uType,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __reserved  UINT *pReserved,
            /* [annotation][out] */
            __out_awcount(!(uType & GCS_UNICODE), cchMax)  LPSTR pszName,
            /* [annotation][in] */
            __in  UINT cchMax);

        END_INTERFACE
    } IContextMenuVtbl;

    interface IContextMenu
    {
        CONST_VTBL struct IContextMenuVtbl *lpVtbl;
    };

Create records with pointers to functions - quite a lot more work than what you need to do with Delphi

Best of luck
Espen Harlinn
0
Espen

Delphi 2010 + Control Panel Application = Windows Explorer has stopped work
Delphi 2010 + Control Panel Application = Windows Explorer has stopped working Why every time the installed control panel applets, then I open the control panel, after a few seconds then raised message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" Is there any advice that I can do to solve this problem? For additional information, I use Windows Vista Ultimate Edition > {quote:title=Eko Indriyawan wrote:}{quote} > For additional information, > > I use Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Just now, I open the same project in Delphi 2007 in same operating system, it w...

delphi Win32 using delphi .NET dll

Delphi.NET loading Delphi.Win32 Driver
Hi, What I'm trying to do is marshal an array of cardinal (or integer) back into managed memory from a win32 dll. I know how to pass managed memory into a win32 dll {code} var aa : array of Integer; Buffer : IntPtr; begin SetLength(aa,2); aa[0] := 1; aa[1] := 80; if not Supports(ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'Win32_Library\SDK_Driver.Win32.io', TypeOf(IMyFunctions), MyFunctions) then Exit; //loads the driver into memory. MyFunctions contains the method names found in the SDK_Driver. Buffer := Marshal.AllocHGlobal(2 * {Marshal.SystemDefaultC...

Converting Delphi for Win32 to Delphi .Net(Prism)
Hi, I am currently migrating a project from Delphi for Win32 to Delphi.net. Part of my code currently goes into a directory and pulls out a random file from this directory and loads the contents of the file for me. This code doesn't seem to work in Delphi.Net. It uses PString and a number of functions in SysUtils that don't seem to be present in Delphi.net's SysUtils file. If anyone can help me please, it would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Jonathan Mackey Jonathan Mackey a écrit : > I am currently migrating a project from Delphi for Win32 to &...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2009: missing View | Delphi Class Explorer
As far as I know, I'm supposed to have a menu item View | Delphi Class Explorer in Delphi 2009 Pro. But I cannot find it. I don't even see it as an option in the menu Customize commands. All available features were selected when Delphi was installed. What have I done to lose the Class Explorer? Steve Troxell > {quote:title=Steve Troxell wrote:}{quote} > As far as I know, I'm supposed to have a menu item View | Delphi Class > Explorer in Delphi 2009 Pro. But I cannot find it. I don't even see it > as an option in the menu Customize commands. All av...

Delphi Win32 applications on iPad?
Hello, I'm not even sure if this is possible but I thought i would ask anyway. I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's. Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi Prism XE open up and port my win32 code? Chris > > Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE ca...

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

Windows 8 Application with Delphi
Hi all: With the release of MS windows 8 beta today, is it possible to create Metro style (with Touch interface) applications with Delphi? Is there a beta version of Delphi you would need for this? Thanks Bob Bob McKinnon wrote: > Is there a beta > version of Delphi you would need for this? If anybody answered this question Embarcadero would have to kill them. ;-) -- Andy Syms Technosoft Systems Ltd "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." -- Confucius So is visual studio my best bet? I believe they have a beta versio...

Win32 Delphi language features introduced since Delphi 7
Hi, Am I right in thinking that the language features introduced since Delphi 7 fall into the categories: a) language features dictated by .Net compatibility. e.g. Namespaces, Inlining, records with methods, operator overloading, pure interfaces, generics, extended RTTI and reflection; b) Unicode strings and supporting procedures? c) 64-bit support What other language features, if any, have been introduced since D7? Had most of the post-D7 languages features, except for generics, Unicode strings, and 64-bit support, been introduced in or before Delphi 2005? How bug-free were ...

ActiveX differences between Delphi 7 and Delphi XE4 in an MFC application
When I create an ActiveX control based on a TPanel (with no added code) in Delphi 7, I am able to add this to a MFC C++ application and have it run fine. When I take the exact same code and compile it in Delphi XE4 (and XE2), MFC throws an assertion. I confirmed that the only changes are in the dcu, ocx and res files. The assertion is happening on ASSERT(wFlags == DISPATCH_METHOD); in occsite.cpp (I included the source to this). {code} STDMETHODIMP COleControlSite::XEventSink::Invoke( DISPID dispid, REFIID, LCID, unsigned short wFlags, DISPPARAMS* pDispParams, VARIANT* pvar...

Understanding multithreaded applications in Delphi and Win32
Hi Guys, I'm building a multi-threading framework in D2009 that will be generic, easy-to-use and abstracts away much of the ugly details of threads and plan on releasing it as an open-source package. The framework is not universal in the sense that it does not solve all multi-threading problems, rather it focuses on the reader/writer problem where you have several threads creating messages and several threads reading these messages. The framework contains a thread manager that orchestrates the work, a thread-safe multi-read queue (unlike TThreadList) and a garbagecollector that mana...

Can Windows applications be developed with Delphi?
From the "Application Development Tools" page... +"RAD Studio is app development for teams building true native apps for Android and iOS, and getting them to app stores and enterprises fast. Build apps using the same source codebase without sacrificing app quality, connectivity or performance. With native Android and iOS support, reach the largest addressable mobile markets in the world."+ *Not a word about Windows.* ....and the description for "RAD Studio XE 5" - +"Multi-device, true native app development for Android and iOS"+ - *Again, nothin...

Web resources about - How to integrate the Delphi application into Windows Explorer? - embarcadero.delphi.win32

Pre-Christmas job application rush hits Australian public service
Speed required for pre-Christmas job window opening for public servants. Check out who is hiring.

Second visa application 'likely' to be approved
The family of a terminally ill Pakistani student can 'hopefully come to Australia sooner rather than later' says Immigration Minister Peter Dutton. ...

Tashfeen Malik's visa application under scrutiny - Business Insider Deutschland
The US government has released the visa application for Tashfeen Malik, who along with her husband killed 14 people in an attack in San Bernardino, ...

Panasonic Develops a Stretchable Resin Film and Its Application Materials for Stretchable Electronics ...
A stretchable film is developed. This film stretches to 2.5 times the original length and then returns to the original form. A conductive paste ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 34% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.1 percent from one week earlier, ...

Cal State Schools Get Record Number Of Applications For 2016 Term
Schools in the California State University system received a record number of applications for the upcoming 2016 fall term, with more than 830,000 ...

German-Based Spirea Promotes Decentralized PV Applications In Uruguay
... Its technical operations specialist, Laurie Lawrence, pointed out that Uruguay [&hellip German-Based Spirea Promotes Decentralized PV Applications ...

Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released
CNN Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released CNN (CNN) The visa application of one of the San Bernardino shooters was released ...

Panasonic touch panel production to be solely for vehicle applications by 2020, says report
Panasonic is aiming to transfer its touch panel production completely to vehicle applications by 2020 in order to meet increasing demand for ...