Indy, gmail and "modern standards of security" [Edit]

I have an app sending e-mail notificications.

I use Delphi XE2 and Indy 10.5.8.0 (shipped with XE2) for that.

Everything worked fine years ago when I implemented it.

I tested it again using smtp.gmail.com: TLSv1, port=465, Implicit.

This resulted in a mail from Google saying that they have blocked an intruder.

I upgraded OpenSSL to 1.0.2d and tested again and in my app I got an error message from Google saying that I should only use Google apps to access my gmail account.

*It is working now: In my gmail account I had to allow "less secure apps". I don't like this ofcourse.*

This is what Google says about it (in Danish)

+Google kan blokere loginforsøg fra nogle apps eller enheder, der ikke bruger moderne sikkerhedsstandarder. Da disse apps og enheder er nemmere at kapre, holdes din konto sikker ved at blokere dem.+

+Her er nogle eksempler på apps, der ikke understøtter de seneste sikkerhedsstandarder:+

+Appen Mail på din iPhone eller iPad med iOS 6 eller ældre+
+Appen Mail på din Windows Phone 8.1 eller ældre+
+Visse e-mailklienter til pc, f.eks. Microsoft Outlook og Mozilla Thunderbird+

I will try to translate:

+Google can block login attempts from some apps and units not using modern standards of security. Since these apps and units are easier to hijack, your account is kept safe by blocking them.+

+Here some examples of apps not supporting the latest standards of security:+

+The app Mail on your iPhone or iPad with iOS 6 or older+
+The app Mail on your Windows phone 8.1 or older+
+Certain e-mail clients to pc, eg. Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird+

According to Google I am not using "modern standards of security"

*Is there a way not needing to allow "less secure apps" in gmail?*

TIA

Edited by: Steen Albrechtsen on Jul 29, 2015 6:44 AM
0
Steen

Hi Steen,

I don't know much about your problem, I was just curious and wanted to learn more for my personnal knownledge.

Based on what I found, I suggest you should google for 'OAuth 2.0 delphi'

Like you I'm still with XE2 so I cant' tell for sure, but Delphi XE5 may be required according to my search results.

Cheers
0
Christophe
7/29/2015 1:39:29 PM
Hi Steen,

I don't know much about your problem, I was just curious and wanted to learn more for my personnal knownledge.

Based on what I found, I suggest you should google for 'OAuth 2.0 delphi'

Like you I'm still with XE2 so I cant' tell for sure, but Delphi XE5 may be required according to my search results.

Cheers

EDIT : Wow ! The forum just updated (incredibly slowly), nice code, thanks for sharing
0
Christophe
7/29/2015 2:06:35 PM
> {quote:title=Christophe LACH wrote:}{quote}
> Based on what I found, I suggest you should google for 'OAuth 2.0 delphi'

Hi Christophe,

Then it is possible, but complicated. The email noticification is not a core functionality of my project so I think I will wait a while.

Steen
>Native OAuth support is on Indy's TODO list, but no ETA at this time.
>-- Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

I found the upper dated 29/8/2014 at

http://codeverge.com/embarcadero.delphi.winsock/indy-oauth2-sasl-component/2001474

Does anyone know something about this?
0
Steen

Indy, gmail and "modern standards of security"
I have an app sending e-mail notificications. I use Delphi XE2 and Indy 10.5.8.0 (shipped with XE2) for that. Everything worked fine years ago when I implemented it. I tested it again using smtp.gmail.com: TLSv1, port=465, Implicit. This resulted in a mail from Google saying that they have blocked an intruder. I upgraded OpenSSL to 1.0.2d and tested again and in my app I got an error message from Google saying that I should only use Google apps to access my gmail account. It is working now: In my gmail account I had to allow "less secure apps". I don't like this...

DataControlRowState is "Edit" or "Alternate, Edit"
In the Gridview RowDataBound event, I check for the state of the row to cast some controls and manipulate with them:Protected Sub gvAutori_RowDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewRowEventArgs) If e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.DataRow Then            If e.Row.RowState = DataControlRowState.Normal Or e.Row.RowState = DataControlRowState.Alternate Then             ...            ElseIf e.Row.RowStat...

"Edit" Vs"Edit Mask"
Are there any potential problems changing a datawindow date field from "edit" to "edit style" and vice versa? I have over 100 datawindows and who knows how many of them have date fields. Question is if I change the edit style from "Edit" to "Edit Mask" of dd/mmm/yyyy. Will this cause any kind of problems? TIA Well we changed ours from editmask to edit (partly because of the large numbers of bugs in edit masks in early builds of PB7, partly because our customers found editmasks unfriendly to use) and it didn't cause any problems. ...

How do I set a home page. Traffic Swarm says just click "edit" then "preferences," but there is no "preferences," under "edit."
Name: Theodore Pong Email: theodorepongatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: How do I set a home page. Traffic Swarm says just click "edit" then "preferences," but there is no "preferences," under "edit." Comments: How do I set a home page. Traffic Swarm says just click "edit" then "preferences," but there is no "preferences," under "edit." Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

Paypal and "Registered Users" (Cant edit Security settings for "Registered Users"
I would like to have people pay to be "Registered Users".On the "Edit Security Roles", "Advanced Settings", I can see "Service Fee", and similar settings.But I cant edit anything!The goal is to have PayPal payment on registration, and to have only one type of registered users...(Nor "Registered Users" and "Subscribers")ThanksOlav ...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

no "enable editing" "enable deleting" "enable updating"
In my visual studio 2005 beta1,there is no "enable editing", "enable deleting", "enable updating"options. why? is the vision wrong??thanks! Which control are you talking about?/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCTASPInsidersMy Blog "gridview" control!! I have, so you should also have it if you create a data source for the GridView control in the design view and make sure you have specified the Insert and Update Command for the DataSource. You can also add a CommandField to the GridView columns <asp:CommandFi...

[Delphi XE2] "Search projects" missing in "Add to Project" dialog box [Edit]
"Search projects" missing in "Add to Project" dialog box when using windows classic theme (windows 7 64bits). Notepad on the contrary still have the "Seacrh ..." box in its open file dialog. Check the images below(they are not mine but show the issue) This one does have the "search document" box in the upper right corner. http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9518/dialog2.png This one does not have it. http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4793/dialogl.png Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. ...

Change from Edit Style "Edit" till "DropDownDW" at runtime
Is it possible to change the edit style from "Edit" till "DropDownDW" at runtime? I want a DropDownDataWindow to appear when in query-mode only. How do I do it ? Thanks for any help! Turid Have you tried to use the Modify command? I didn't look up the syntax for this but it would be something like : dw_1.Modify("column_name.dddw.Name='d_list'") dw_1.Modify("colun_name.dddw.DataColumn='list_id'") You will need to GetChild() on "column_name" to retrieve the list but I'm sure you get the idea. HTH Turi...

"Me" is better than "You"

What makes "Drafts" folder "editable"?
Hi, I've recently started to use a subfolder of my drafts folder to store notes in a manner similar to the "Notes" feature of Outlook. It works reasonably well. The next obvious step is to move it out of the "Drafts" tree and into it's own top level folder. Is there a simple setting that I can tweak in the data files to enable editing of messages in a folder? To be honest, I'd prefer to be able to edit any message in any folder; however, I can see how that opens a can of worms. As an aside, if it's a simple tweak, am I alone in thinking that...

Using "+" or "||"

Web resources about - Indy, gmail and "modern standards of security" [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.webservices