Creating a REST web service without using DataSnap

Hi

I'm currently in the process of migrating the embedded database (ElevateDB) contained within a large, mature application to an SQL server running in the cloud. The idea is that we use the existing front end of the application as far as possible and connect it to the database using REST.

My requirements for the REST server are:

- it should allow one to issue REST requests in a format such as http://www.foo.com/api/sql/select_surname_from_clients (so the parameters contain the actual SQL commands we currently use to manipulate the database)
- it needs to be platform-independent (I don't yet know if we will be hosting on Windows or Linux)
- if it isn't written in Delphi it needs to use a framework which involves minimum coding skills outside of Delphi/SQL

I've already tried NetBeans IDE which has a semi-automated process for creating the server from the database schema but the endpoints aren't suitable. I've also looked at the proposed MySQL REST extension but this doesn't seem to be available yet.

Any other ideas?

Jon Martin
0
Jeff

Just use PHP. You might also try SmartMobileStudio which will make you a node.js app. But really just use PHP. Or if you end up on Windows just do a straight Delphi ISAPI.
0
Eli

Creating REST web services with Delphi
Are you creating REST web services with Delphi? If yes, how? Using Indy and/or web broker components? I could not find any articles or posts on the web about this. Thanks -- Erick Sasse Erick Sasse wrote: > Are you creating REST web services with Delphi? > If yes, how? Using Indy and/or web broker components? > Marco Cantu would be a good person to ask. He talked to us about REST. -- - Eduardo In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. -- Jan L.A. van de Snepcheut Eduardo A. Salgado OneDomain, Inc. eas...

Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server?
Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server? Which is to say, of course, that the URL would be starting with https. Anyone? ...

Using ATLAS without using Web Services
1. Is it possible to use ATLAS by some way so that we dont need to create any web services.2. is their any way to create a dummy page on the server and put all the functions into it, which we need to call through ajax on server side and then call those pages with some kind of query parameter so that it can understand which method or function need to be called and thus returns the result asynchronously.thanks and regardsgoru 1. Absolutely, though you'll find your self writing a lot more javascript, one way to do it is using the objects/functions defined in the AtlasRuntime.js, which act as ...

REST Web Service : How to call a web service method by REST way ?
Hi buddy,Can anyone tell me that how do i call a method through a web service by a REST way.I have one local application (with C#.NET, ASP.NET 2.0, SQL Server 2005) and I want to call a Web Service method which is created on a remote machine. I have to call that method from my web application by using a REST (Representational State Transfer) way. I have a WSDL file.Please provide me technical details to make this happen.I want exact code to achieve this.Please please its urgent....Thanks in advance.Thanks,Mitesh.Please Mark this as an Answer if it resolves your problem. Which Version of .n...

creating a hello world web service without using soap protocol (http get)
how can I create a web service to support http get?thanks,...

Consuming a .NET web service in Delphi 2010 using a service reference
Hi, I've been asked to modify one of my existing applications (D2010 Win32) to interact with a web service written under VS2010/.Net 4. The information I have so far is :- "As communication is secured by .NET WsHttpBinding data encrypting, In order to consume it you have to add to your application a Service Reference (not a web reference) that joins the service available at the URL: http://ctm.mobilling.it/SmsComApi/Sms.svc . Assuming that the binding created in your app.confing is named "WSHttpBinding_ISms" you have to instantiate a client as shown below: {c...

Bad Web service created using Visual Web Deleveloper 2008 Express
I created ASMX web service using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express edition. wsdl validator throws error: This web service does not conform to WS-I Basic Profile v1.1 R2112: In a DESCRIPTION, elements SHOULD NOT be named using the convention ArrayOfXXX. XmlSchemaElement in Schema Schema 'http://mycompany.com/Myapp, in Service Description 'http://mycompany.com/Myapp'   Part of wsdl file is:      <xs:complexType name="ArrayOfPickListEntity">        <xs:sequence>  &...

Changing URL in web.config for web service
I added a web reference to asmx file. In web.config - it adds - undefinedadd key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test/CoreServices.asmx I then change it to <add key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test2/CoreServices.asmx"/> But CoreService.CoreServices still looks for http://test/CoreServices.asmx.  What else do i have to change? I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ So no ...

How i create web services & call web services?
Give me the solution of how i create webservices & call it and what is purpose of web services ?? PlsGuree  >how i create webservicesVery much the same as creating a new web site site - it is just a different project type. > & call it andAdd a web reference to an existing project to consume the web service.>what is purpose of web services ??To send and receive data.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. &...

Xml file mapper using Web Service
Hi all, I am tasked with creating a web service that maps a number of files to a relational database.  I have a good idea of how I might do this but need to make sure that a list of files get mapped to the database or else they are all rolled back.  Here is the scenario of what should happen. 1. Call an initializing method with the list of files to process as a parameter 2. This method would return a unique identifier to the caller 3. Everytime the caller calls a mapping function also pass the identifier as a parameter 4. If a mapping function fails call a rollback function wit...

Using Delphi to create a web store.
I am a long time Delphi user and we are now looking at adding a web store to integrate to our existing Point of Sale software package (uses postgreSQL). The main question I have is: Can I use Delphi 10 to create a website like this OR should I look at using some other technology such as PHP, Python, Java etc. Of course I would prefer to use Delphi as long as the result would be as efficient as other options, otherwise I am happy to learn something new. > {quote:title=Jeffrey Ottery wrote:}{quote} > The main question I have is: Can I use Delphi 10 to create a website like this O...

How to use localhost for the web service that i create?
I'm using Microsoft Visual Studios 2005, vb language.  The location of my web service is at "C:\xgrill\ProcessCustomers.asmx" When I opened up another web site(of my own, I created another) and tried to consume the web service at "C:\xgrill\ProcessCustomers.asmx" by "Add Web Reference", I was shown this: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________  The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then ...

Create bug without using webservice.
I have installed bugzilla 4.4 for RedHat Linux version 5.9. I would like to use bugzilla to create bugs locally on the hosted apache bu= gzilla server. I want to know if anyone has created a perl/python script t= hat creates a bug without using the bugzilla webservice. Login is not requ= ired since the only individuals who will use this are administrators. I tried to use the Bugzilla::Bug::create perl module, but keep getting erro= rs about uninitialized values for the check_required subroutines. I get the following error: Can't call method "check_required_create_fie...

How can I create a REST web service?
The most useful link I could find was http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2006_09/magazine/columns/aspnet/default.aspx . The problem is how can I get the post and the get messages.1. Is this the correct way of writing REST web services? If not please can someone provide some link for beginner.2. If this is the correct way then how can we implement the delete and other methods?Thanks,Sashwathttp://tech-sash.blogspot.com Yes, REST is just the idea that you can access everything over a url.  depending on the format of the requested page, you could do a screen scrape or load and xml dom.&nb...