Re: SMTP "authentication failed", Message "UGFzc3dvcmQ6" and error code 535

> {quote:title=Kevin Killion wrote:}{quote}
> I'm trying to use a TIdSMTP to send an email message, but when issuing the "Send" I'm getting a EIdSMTPReplyError exception, with:
>       Message:  authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6
>       ErrorCode:  535
>
> Needless to say, neither the Message nor that ErrorCode tell me much about what went wrong!

You stand a better chance of getting answers about Indy components if you ask in the WinSock group instead. Members of the Indy team (at least one or two, anyway) check in there pretty often. (Forums->Delphi->Winsock).
0
Ken
4/6/2012 6:36:22 PM
embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using 2297 articles. 2 followers. Follow

> {quote:title=Kevin Killion wrote:}{quote}
> I'm trying to use a TIdSMTP to send an email message, but when issuing the "Send" I'm getting a EIdSMTPReplyError exception, with:
>       Message:  authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6
>       ErrorCode:  535

The server is sending back a failure ErrorCode in response to TIdSMTP's "AUTH" command (error code 535 does mean that authentication failed).  The "authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6" message is coming from the SMTP server as part of that failure reply.  However, the string "UGFzc3dvcmQ6" is base64 for "Password:".  So offhan, it would appear that the server is trying to prompt for login credentials, but it is doing it the wrong way (TIdSMTP expects error code 334 for the password prompt), which suggests
 the server likely has a bug.  It would be useful to see the underlying SMTP command/response traffic leading up to the error.  You can use a packet sniffer, such as Wireshark, or attach of Indy''s own TIdLog... components to TIdSMTP, to get a log of that traffic data.
0
Remy
4/6/2012 10:20:15 PM
Remy,

THANK YOU for the extremely helpful reply!  I had no idea that was Base64.  Once you advised on that, I checked, and sure, enough, the password I was using was wrong.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Kevin

> > {quote:title=Kevin Killion wrote:}{quote}
> > I'm trying to use a TIdSMTP to send an email message, but when issuing the "Send" I'm getting a EIdSMTPReplyError exception, with:
> >       Message:  authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6
> >       ErrorCode:  535
>
> The server is sending back a failure ErrorCode in response to TIdSMTP's "AUTH" command (error code 535 does mean that authentication failed).  The "authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6" message is coming from the SMTP server as part of that failure reply.  However, the string "UGFzc3dvcmQ6" is base64 for "Password:".  So offhan, it would appear that the server is trying to prompt for login credentials, but it is doing it the wrong way (TIdSMTP expects error code 334 for the password prompt), which sugges
ts the server likely has a bug.  It would be useful to see the underlying SMTP command/response traffic leading up to the error.  You can use a packet sniffer, such as Wireshark, or attach of Indy''s own TIdLog... components to TIdSMTP, to get a log of that traffic data.
0
Kevin

Web resources about - Re: SMTP "authentication failed", Message "UGFzc3dvcmQ6" and error code 535 - embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using