Installing an old VCL into Delphi XE6

I apologize for asking this, but how do I install a VCL that I have used in Delphi 5, 7, and XE into Delphi XE6?  I have copied all of the VCL files (.dcr, .dcu, .pas & Help file) into the folder C:\Users\John\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\Projects\Win32\Debug

However, when I click on the “next” button in the Install Component wizard on the tool bar of XE6 and get to the “Install into Existing Package” screen, and I click the Browse on package name button, I get the message “No items match your search”.  Do I have to copy some other file to this location or what do I have to do?

I am running Windows 7 64 bits.

Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated.  Thank you, John Shyer
0
John
11/5/2014 7:39:08 PM
embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using 2297 articles. 2 followers. Follow

John wrote:

> I apologize for asking this, but how do I install a VCL that I have
> used in Delphi 5, 7, and XE into Delphi XE6?

Packages and DCUs are version-specific, so you need to obtain a version of
the component that is meant specifically for XE6.  If you have the component's
source code, you can recompile it yourself for XE6.  Otherwise, contact the
vendor and get precompiled XE6 Packages/DCUs.

> I have copied all of the VCL files (.dcr, .dcu, .pas & Help file) into
the folder
> C:\Users\John\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\Projects\Win32\Debug
>
> However, when I click on the “next” button in the Install Component
> wizard on the tool bar of XE6 and get to the “Install into Existing
> Package” screen, and I click the Browse on package name button, I get
> the message “No items match your search”.

That button displays a OpenDialog dialog so you can select a .dpk file?
Are you saying the dialog does not appear at all?  Or that you cannot select
a .dpk file with it?

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, I purchased the source.  I have looked in that folder, but I do not know what file is the “source” file.  Is it the .DCR or the .DCU or the .PAS file?  If none of these then what do I look for to identify the source?  Then once I locate it, what do I do?

And in answer to your question, the dialog box is empty except for that message of  “No items match your search”.  There is nothing there to select.

Once again your help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you, John Shyer

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> I apologize for asking this, but how do I install a VCL that I have used in Delphi 5, 7, and XE into Delphi XE6?  I have copied all of the VCL files (.dcr, .dcu, .pas & Help file) into the folder C:\Users\John\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\Projects\Win32\Debug
>
> However, when I click on the “next” button in the Install Component wizard on the tool bar of XE6 and get to the “Install into Existing Package” screen, and I click the Browse on package name button, I get the message “No items match your search”.  Do I have to copy some other file to this location or what do I have to do?
>
> I am running Windows 7 64 bits.
>
> Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated.  Thank you, John Shyer
0
John
11/5/2014 9:03:28 PM
Remy,

Disregard my last response,  I will look once again at the .PAS files (several of them) and try again before I bother you with another hold my hand query.

Thanks, John

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> I apologize for asking this, but how do I install a VCL that I have used in Delphi 5, 7, and XE into Delphi XE6?  I have copied all of the VCL files (.dcr, .dcu, .pas & Help file) into the folder C:\Users\John\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\Projects\Win32\Debug
>
> However, when I click on the “next” button in the Install Component wizard on the tool bar of XE6 and get to the “Install into Existing Package” screen, and I click the Browse on package name button, I get the message “No items match your search”.  Do I have to copy some other file to this location or what do I have to do?
>
> I am running Windows 7 64 bits.
>
> Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated.  Thank you, John Shyer
0
John
11/5/2014 10:05:36 PM
John wrote:

> Yes, I purchased the source.  I have looked in that folder, but I do
> not know what file is the “source” file.  Is it the .DCR or the .DCU
> or the .PAS file?

The .PAS file.  There may be more than 1, depending on how complex the component
is.

The .DCR contains the component's Palette icon.

The .DCU is a precompiled unit binary, which gets linked into packages or
applications.  This is what gets re-generated when you compile the source.

> Then once I locate it, what do I do?

The same thing you had to do in Delphi 5 and 7 to install it.

Read the documentation:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE6/en/Installing_Component_Packages

> And in answer to your question, the dialog box is empty except for
> that message of  “No items match your search”.  There is nothing
> there to select.

So browse to another folder.  You told it you want to install into an *existing*
package, so you need to specify the .DPK file of the desired package so the
..PAS file(s) canbe added to it.

Personally, when installing third-party packages, you should install them
in their own packages.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Thank you.  At first the installation appeared to go well, however, the VCL did not show up on the VCL list/menu.  Then when it did, it did not function.  I am still trying to determine why.  However, your help and the reference to the Wiki URL were most helpful.  Thank you again.

John

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> I apologize for asking this, but how do I install a VCL that I have used in Delphi 5, 7, and XE into Delphi XE6?  I have copied all of the VCL files (.dcr, .dcu, .pas & Help file) into the folder C:\Users\John\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\Projects\Win32\Debug
>
> However, when I click on the “next” button in the Install Component wizard on the tool bar of XE6 and get to the “Install into Existing Package” screen, and I click the Browse on package name button, I get the message “No items match your search”.  Do I have to copy some other file to this location or what do I have to do?
>
> I am running Windows 7 64 bits.
>
> Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated.  Thank you, John Shyer
0
John

Delphi IS the VCL
Delphi IS the VCL! Oh, wait... sorry. I meant Winforms, not VCL. What was I thinking? I know! they got me too. Don't know what I was thinking. :) > {quote:title=Jay Faubion wrote:}{quote} > Delphi IS the VCL! > > Oh, wait... sorry. I meant Winforms, not VCL. > > What was I thinking? Jay Faubion wrote: > Delphi IS the VCL! > TButton Forever! ;-) W Jay Faubion wrote: > What was I thinking? Wasn't it called CLX ? Turbo Vision -> OWL -> VCL -> CLX -> Winforms -> ...... (to be continued) -- ...

Spreadsheet component for use in Delphi VCL 2010
Good day I have been using the Flexcel component for reading and writing Excel spreadsheets in my Delphi VCL projects for some while and have been very happy. Unfortunately, though, a version for use with Excel 2007 format files (.XLSX) has been promised for years now but just never arrives and I have reached a stage where I just have to update some of my software. Can any body suggest alternatives and comment on their experience with these? I have no objection to buying a component although all my programs are for academic use by myself and colleagues/friends so cheaper would...

how to install vcl skin v5.40 to delphi 2009
hi all i finally searched and got vcl skin v 5.40 i have sen help file in that folder to intsall it says that Install / Uninstall Manually in Delphi. Unzip Vclskin2.zip into any folder. Compile Runtime package, the package filename will be VCLSkinRD#.dpk, where the # is the version of Delphi you are installing to. In the Delphi IDE choose menu "File. Open...", then find runtime package VCLSkinRD#.dpk, then click 'Compile' button. Install Design package, the package file name is like VCLSkinDD#.dpk, where the # is the version of Delphi you are installing to. I...

Fast Report VCL 4 does not install for Delphi XE2 ??
Hi I downloaded the installation program for Fast reports from the Registered Users download area. However, after running the installation routine - it did not install or register any components into the Delphi IDE (even though the install.txt file says that these will be installed automatically.) The installation I used is called "ID: 28514, FastReport VCL 4 RAD Edition for Delphi and C++Builder XE2". Is there a bug with the installation ? Do I have to re-compile the packages and install manually ? What am I missing ? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.. >...

Delphi 6
In preparation for applying a bug fix to one of the VCL modules (AxCtrls.pas), I have been trying to compile the original source code for the module in order to reproduce exactly the existing dcu. I have copied AxCtrls.pas to an empty directory, and have found that doing: dcc32 -q AxCtrls -$D- -$L- gives me a dcu which is identical in size to the one on Delphi6/Lib, with identical contents except for a few bytes near the beginning, which I assume are a compliation timestamp. However, I have been unsuccessful in duplicating the debug dcu in Delphi6/Lib/Debug. Using "-$D+ -$L+&q...

Delphi XE8 Send Notification from Parse using VCL app
Hello, I am learning the new Baas technology with XE8. I created a small app to receive notification on Android mobiles using Parse. Everything is working fine when the notification message is sent from Parse web site. However when my VCL app send the notification with BackendPush component, nothing is coming in mobile phone. The messages are sending correctly because I can see them on Parse site. Their status is different than the one sent from Parse . Here are my VCL messages Status on Parse: Type: API, target: Chanels. When sent on Parse site: Type : Campaign, Target: Everyone...

Actuall thread about vcl classes / components in C++ for use with delphi...
Hi All, I wanted to follow the topic that appears as a 'sub-thread' above... suspecting it would die... I'm sure many of us are interested in this topic. ( by 'sure' I mean absolutely certain...) It also brings to my mind the question, does anyone know of any references for us semi-delphi-literate C++ programmers that would like to read/write/modify delphi stuff? Thanks Everyone, (you know who you are... B) Bruce ...

Ann: ESBPCS for VCL v6.4.0
*ESB Consultancy* is pleased to announce the latest release of our huge collection of components and routines that aim to make Data Entry and Manipulation easier for the Developer and their Customers. http://www.esbconsult.com/esbpcs *ESBPCS for VCL v6.4.0* adds support for *Delphi XE6* (and *C++ Builder XE6*) as well as includes improvements to our ComboBox (optional variable widths added to drop downs), more measurement conversions, etc. This is a free upgrade for existing customers. The "subsets" have also been updated - *ESBPCS-Lite for VCL*, *ESBPCS-Calcs for VCL*, *ESB...

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Profiler for Delphi VCL
Hello, i still use D7 :-)) i have a big application with a lot of forms and on some forms are hundreds of objects. The forms are loaded at runtime when they will be needed the first time. One of this big forms needed normaly around 3 seconds to open, suddenly it needs more than 20 seconds. Other (also big) forms in this app are still as fast as always. I can't find out what had changed, because this time is used between the Application.CreateForm() call and the entry in the create-event of the created form. Any ideas how i can find out what wastes the time? I think i need some...

Newly installed VCL does not show up on VCL menu
Hello, I obtained the source code for a VCL from the vendor and build a bpl using it. I compiled the code and then clicked the install button on the pull down menu. It said that it installed, and it shows up on the menu of the install packages box, however it is no where to be found on the VCL menu to the right side on the IDE of Delphi XE. What have I done wrong? Thank you for any help you can provide. John Shyer John wrote: > I obtained the source code for a VCL from the vendor and build > a bpl using it. I compiled the code and then clicked the install > bu...

delphi Win32 using delphi .NET dll

Web resources about - Installing an old VCL into Delphi XE6 - embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using

Rooting and installing Android 1.5 JesusFreke - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
More information at: android.noisepages.com/2009/05/rooting-pics/

Installing ClearCal Anti-Glare Film for Glossy Displays - YouTube
Demonstration of how to install a RadTech ClearCal Anti-Glare Film on a MacBook Pro. ClearCal eliminates glare on glossy displays like Apple's ...

The builder of a south-west Sydney unit block where a young woman plunged to her death during a ferocious fire told a certifier to reduce ...

Nine Sydney councils are getting ready to turn off the lights – 13,000 of them – to save more than $20 million.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper