GDI leaks using Delphi Ribbon components

The Ribbon components leak GDIs. This is bad enough (performance gets slower and slower) that the users have to shut down the application a few times a day.
When the application is restarted, the performance is fine but decreases slowly and consistently.
This can be reproduced in Delphi2007, XE2 and XE6

Smallest steps to reproduce: Create a Delphi application with 1 form and drop a TRibbon on it.
Start the application and monitor the GDIs with the Task Manager. Minimize and maximize the application, you will see the number increasing.
If you use the AQTime resource profiler, the application leaks DCs and Regions.
This can be reproduced in Delphi2007, XE2 and XE6, maybe others.

Did anybody else notice that? Is there a way around or a fix?

Thank you.

Patrick
0
Patrick
8/11/2015 5:08:43 PM
embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using 2297 articles. 1 followers. Follow

To use or not to use Delphi
Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race between the two threads, for and against using Delphi in new projects, with more or less the same users posting in both threads. Arguments are fiercely debated in both camps. Borland had their own vision. As a community, now that Delphi has changed ownership I believe we should try to be more consistent, more clear, and more articulate in what we expect from Embercadero in terms of Delphi. We can contribute to keeping Delphi alive and moving in the right direction. "Laurent Cocea" schrieb: > Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race ... <snip> Some people go fishing, some go to the movies, some like to take long walks on the beach, and then some like to type their fingers bloody discussing totally irrelevant issues on public Newsgroups. And my wife likes to watch soap operas and follow posts from a forum where new-baked parents are discussing their kids-issues. Everyone needs a hobby :-) Regards, Danijel Laurent Cocea wrote: > Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race between the two > threads They're essentially the same thread with a little more trolling in one than the other. Lots of free time over the holidays and all. I think the discussion in general is a good thing, though. Help remind people why a tool like Delphi is worth while, and maybe even shed some light on some of the things that still need attention. I still learn about ...

Spreadsheet component for use in Delphi VCL 2010
Good day I have been using the Flexcel component for reading and writing Excel spreadsheets in my Delphi VCL projects for some while and have been very happy. Unfortunately, though, a version for use with Excel 2007 format files (.XLSX) has been promised for years now but just never arrives and I have reached a stage where I just have to update some of my software. Can any body suggest alternatives and comment on their experience with these? I have no objection to buying a component although all my programs are for academic use by myself and colleagues/friends so cheaper would...

Actuall thread about vcl classes / components in C++ for use with delphi...
Hi All, I wanted to follow the topic that appears as a 'sub-thread' above... suspecting it would die... I'm sure many of us are interested in this topic. ( by 'sure' I mean absolutely certain...) It also brings to my mind the question, does anyone know of any references for us semi-delphi-literate C++ programmers that would like to read/write/modify delphi stuff? Thanks Everyone, (you know who you are... B) Bruce ...

using GDI+ in Delphi
Hello, I have to write an application that draws diagrams and other graphical objects on sheet in a window. It hast to be very fast, so I decided to use GDI+ directly. My plan was to use a TCanvas and to use the handle to draw my stuff with GDI+. Is this a good idea, or has somebody a better suggestion? Are there any pitfalls I have to be aware? Best Regards Peter > I have to write an application that draws diagrams and other graphical objects on sheet in a window. It hast to be very fast, so I decided to use GDI+ directly. My plan was to use a TCanvas and to use the handle to...

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

How design a COM using Delphi and Using in PB7?
I need some component, So, we want using DELPHI5 to develop a COM or Activex. What type of knowege or Skill I must know it. Can anyone tell us? from DRAOGN Can you explain what type of component you want to create? You may not need to a) build your own, or b) use Delphi. If the component should be used from within a PB application, you ought to use PB to develop it unless it is something that PB does not let you do. regards, Bill DRAGON wrote: > I need some component, So, we want using DELPHI5 to develop a COM or > Activex. > What type of knowege or Skill I ...

delphi Win32 using delphi .NET dll

Delphi 2009 Ribbon use
I'm using the Ribbon control in a program. But I can't seem to figure out how to order Ribbon Tabs into groups. Like in MS Word, where when you click on a table a group "Table Tools" with 2 new Tabs will appear that have table related stuff. How do I make such Tab groups? thanks in advance for any answer. ...

can i use delphi 2007 bpls in delphi 2009

How to use a .dmp file for a system which crashes using a delphi app
Hi, I put this post here because I am not sure of the best location. I have been given a memory dump (.dmp) file by a client who thinks that a Delphi 7 application is causing their system to blue screen from time to time. Does anyone know how I can use this .dmp file to locate the problem in the delphi app? The build the client is using has debug symbols turned on. I have downloaded Microsoft Debugging Tools for windows and have dupmchk.exe (and kd.exe) but I would really appreciate some help with how these or any other useful tools should be used? Many thanks Ben > I have downloaded Microsoft Debugging Tools for windows and have dupmchk.exe (and kd.exe) You'd have to learn how to use WinDbg, which is a little too complex to explain here. Anyway you can start by opening the .dmp file and follow what WinDbg tell you, it will point you to the executable and stack trace that led to the error. At least you'll understand what is exactly causing the BSOD. Delphi debug symbols are not useful because they are in a differend format than those used by MS tools. You'd have convert them to a suitable format. It's a pity Delphi can't output debug informations in those formats. Anyway I believe it is a little strange a "normal" Delphi app can lead to a BSOD, because it usually require some kernel-side error. But without knowing what error and where it happens is hard to tell. Am 14.11.2011 11:20, schrieb Ben Russell: > Hi, I put t...

Using Delphi component in C++ Builder
Hi, I've found a code for creating avi files using JPEG files.Its name is TAviWriter v.1.0. I would like to use it in C++ Builder. If I install it in Delphi, i don´t see it in C++ Builder. I ´ve do a new project in C++ and I´ve add three pascal files: AviWriter_2.pas BMP2AVI.pas Silence.pas The proyect builds correctly but It doesn´t run correctly. It doesn´t generate avi file while in Delphi yes do it. I have two questions. Do I need any pragma for using pascal code in c++? How can I install a Delphi Component in Codegear c++? Best Regegards. Droice2010 Try this 1. Close everything in bcb 2. File->New->Package (this is using bcb2010) 3. Add the file to your package (AviWriter.pas) 4. Compile the package. In bcb2010 I get some errors, I don't know how to fix them so I wont bother. "Alex G" wrote in message news:254736@forums.embarcadero.com... > I would like to use it in C++ Builder. > If I install it in Delphi, i don´t see it in C++ Builder. If you are running both Delphi and C++Builder then edit the project options for the Delphi package. Navigate to "Delphi Compiler | Linking" and change the "Linker Output" setting to "Generate all C++ Builder files". If you do not have Delphi installed then you will need to create a C++Builder package project and add the necessary files to your new project. > Do I need any pragma for using pa...

If you use Delphi...
If you use Delphi for .NET with ASA, please vote for this: http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=31677 ...

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { /// do something }}  public void SomeMethod()  {    using (Something)     {        try {}       catch(SomeException e) {}    }} Hi,So what is the actual benefit of using the using statement if you still have to put it in a try catch to catch errors, I thought that was the point of using using... to get away from the try catch which is apparently more of a memory chomper. Will it really speed up my apps then? The only benefit i can see it that you dont have to explicitly close your connection which would free up some memory there.Bryan   First of all there are two things, using Statement and using directive, I think you are referring to the 'using' statement. The using statement allows the programmer to specify when objects that use resourc...

How to use AppModeler to generate Delphi forms using Cached Updates
<HTML> <TT>A beginner's question regarding AppModeler 6.1, Delphi 3, and Interbase 5.x...</TT> <P><TT>While I am impressed with the amount of thought and work that has gone into AppModeler, I have nonetheless been surprised to discover that the Delphi application generated by AppModeler is not suitable for real-world situations because of the "fly-away" problem afflicting newly-entered records.</TT> <P><TT>When I enter a record on an AppModeler-generated Delphi form, the record disappears ("flies away") immedia...

force Delphi to use a certain component
Hello, I have a png component I want to use it to load png images but I have another third party tool also has a png unit the problem when I try to load a png image in an image box component , Delphi always uses the third party unit be default is there a way to change that without removing the third part components ? thanks On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:17:44 -0800, isaac sam wrote: > Hello, > I have a png component I want to use it to load png images but I have > another third party tool also has a png unit > > the problem when I try to load a png image in an ...

Using .net components in Delphi 2007
I have found this which works very well www.warelogic.com . I sent the guy an email to se if he can convert to Delphi but his reply was 'he does not know Delphi. Can we use .NET components from it.' So is it possible (at idiot level) to use in a Delphi app. Cheers SteveW > So is it possible (at idiot level) to use in a Delphi app. Looked a the user guide at the above web site. The C++ interface is a pointer to a record (not a class) which contains function/procedure pointers. Thus it should be possible to create a native Delphi interface. Regards from Germa...

MOVED: Use Delphi XE TLB importer in Delphi 2007?
....to the ActiveX group: https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=47170 -- Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/ ...

how to use COM component in Delphi Prism?
In MS Visual Studio Shell 2010 (Delphi Prism IDE), i want to use a vector graphic tool either VeCAD or LiteCAD. But both of them are OCX / DLL files. They are shown in toolbox (choose item option), as COM component, not as .Net Framework component. How to use COM component into Delphi Prism? these component also shown in toolbox items. But i can't drag them on form. it gives error "Failed to create component AxHost. System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: COM target doest not implement IDispatch" What is the reason behind it? How to solve this problem? ...

ODBC Components for ASA using Delphi
Hi there, We're looking at ODBCExpress and ODBC98 as the component suite for accessing ASA using Delphi. Any suggestions, experiences...pros and cons on either of these products for accessing ASA would be appreciated? Thanks in advance, Mike ..... or you could skip the ODBC layer too, and go directly through ASA's DBLIB using Reggatta's Titan for SQL Anywhere at www.reggatta.com or NativeDB for SQL Anywhere found under "Components Collection" for Delphi 3-4-5. A shareware version of NativeDB is available to download, named "NativeDB.exe&qu...

Using Indy components with Delphi 7
First question: Should I update the Indy components (I'm using the ones which shipped with Delphi 7, Professional version). Second question: How can I get started in developing an application that will connect to an existing web service for the purpose of receiving som XML data? I need help in what components to use, property settings, and all the rest. I'm having a heck of a time finding detailed, straight forward information. Thanks Jim Sawyer DataWare > {quote:title=Jim Sawyer wrote:}{quote} > First question: Should I update the Indy components (I'm using t...

Using Delphi components with BDS2006 C++???
If I install our rather big custom component package in Delphi personality of BDS2006, will they be usable in the C++ personality too? Or do I have to recreate them all for C++??? Any recommendations? -- Bo Berglund Developer in Sweden ...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

12.1.20 how to build using latest TMS components & TMS html5 components in Delphi 2010
There are some installation issues that can be easily worked around.... 1) missing iw12tmsd2010se.groupproj from latest tms pro script edition release 2) missing iw12tmsded2010.dproj/dpk just take iw11 version , rename , change all iw11 refs to iw12 , and 110_140 to 120_140 3) iw12tmsxlsd2010.dpk and iw12tmsxlsd2009.dpk require IW11tmsgridd20** bpls edit .dpk to fix 4) iwtmsbase,iwtmscalulatinglabel,wisidenavbar,iwexchangebar,iwadvselector ..pas files use system.UITYPES This is not a delphi 2010 unit. removed and all refs built... 5) IW html5base uses system.UI...

Web resources about - GDI leaks using Delphi Ribbon components - embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using

DPRK may have tested components of hydrogen bomb
DPRK may have tested components of hydrogen bomb

Waterproof components listed for Galaxy S7 on import tracking site
... at least water-resistant – rumors are starting to look increasingly solid. Import tracking site Zauba has revealed several “waterproof” components ...

Minecraft: Pocket Edition receives a new update with additional Redstone components
Version 0.14.0 also features spooky witches, item frames, and more.

Video explains a key component of the Galaxy S7’s camera
Samsung called out Apple several times on stage during its Galaxy S7 announcement when it introduced the new phone's camera. Now a video has ...

A fundamental component of the 'Making a Murderer' mystery relies on a single test — here’s what we know ...
The moment viewers think the tide could change in the trial of Steven Avery comes with the discovery of a hole in a tube. Avery, the subject ...

Auto Expo 2016 - The Motor Show & Components, Delhi,India - Business Standard
Get latest Cars, bikes, auto vehicle launches and News on The Motor & Components Show from Auto Expo 2016. Get exclusive updates for car, bike ...

There's more to Lent than fasting: a look at the 3 components of Lenten observance
If you only paid attention to the mainstream media, you would be forgiven for thinking that Lent is all about fasting in response to Jesus' temptation ...

North Korea may have tested components of H-bomb
U.S. officials now believe that North Korea may have tested components of a hydrogen bomb at an underground facility on January 6. CNN's Barbara ...

Salt bases Steinway & Sons showroom on piano components
The design of this piano shop in Tokyo by local architecture studio Salt is intended to reflect the craftsmanship of the instruments on sale ...