Delphi Compatible Installation Component

I am looking for a "delphi compatible" installation component.

This means one which I can compile in delphi and create an installation like "setup.exe" or "setup.msi"

All systems I see, have their own scripting of use VB scripting or macros.

What I need, is one that is completely compilable with in Delphi.

Does anyone know of one?
0
Robert

Robert wrote:

> Does anyone know of one?

I have never seen any third-party installation tool that allows you to create
install scripts from within Delphi itself.  They are always used externally.
 Creating an install EXE/MSI for Windows platforms is something Embarcadero
should implement in the IDE itself as part of its Deployment Manager.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Robert Gilland wrote:

> I am looking for a "delphi compatible" installation component.
>
> This means one which I can compile in delphi and create an
> installation like "setup.exe" or "setup.msi"
>
> All systems I see, have their own scripting of use VB scripting or
> macros.
>
> What I need, is one that is completely compilable with in Delphi.
>
> Does anyone know of one?

Long ago there was a product called Youseful by Joe Mele that allowed
you to create an installer as a Delphi program.  But I think it went
away a long time ago, at least I haven't heard anything about it in
years.  That's the only one I know of that worked in that way.
Probably the most popular with Delphi developers now is Inno Setup,
which I highly recommend.

--
Cheers,
Van

"Half of what I say is meaningless..." - John Lennon
"Your job is to figure out which half." - Van Swofford
0
Van
12/11/2013 4:01:21 AM
Yes,

In one of my earlier products ( which is still in wide use ). Heavily uses youseful.

Youseful is a fantastic tool.

I wonder why there has never been a product like it since.

However Youseful is way out of date in terms of current OS available.

I really think there should be a tool out there that allows this.
0
Robert
12/11/2013 6:06:09 AM
On 11.12.2013 05:01, Van Swofford wrote:
> Robert Gilland wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a "delphi compatible" installation component.
>>
>> This means one which I can compile in delphi and create an
>> installation like "setup.exe" or "setup.msi"
>>
>> All systems I see, have their own scripting of use VB scripting or
>> macros.
>>
>> What I need, is one that is completely compilable with in Delphi.
>>
>> Does anyone know of one?
>
> Long ago there was a product called Youseful by Joe Mele that allowed
> you to create an installer as a Delphi program.  But I think it went
> away a long time ago, at least I haven't heard anything about it in
> years.  That's the only one I know of that worked in that way.
> Probably the most popular with Delphi developers now is Inno Setup,
> which I highly recommend.

+1 for Inno setup
It is an open source project written in Delphi,
so you could adapt it to your use.
I never had to do this at is is already full featured, with precompiler
directive, pascal script with Windows API access...
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
It does not create msi but setup.exe, though

Mel
Den 12/11/2013 04:38, Remy Lebeau (TeamB) skrev:
> Robert wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of one?
>
> I have never seen any third-party installation tool that allows you to create
> install scripts from within Delphi itself.  They are always used externally.
>   Creating an install EXE/MSI for Windows platforms is something Embarcadero
> should implement in the IDE itself as part of its Deployment Manager.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Youseful was one.. it was later renamed to ICE and I think abandoned.
It was at its time actually quite good.

best regards
Kim Madsen
C4D
0
Kim
12/11/2013 3:07:11 PM
Den 12/11/2013 16:07, Kim Madsen skrev:
> Den 12/11/2013 04:38, Remy Lebeau (TeamB) skrev:
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of one?
>>
>> I have never seen any third-party installation tool that allows you to create
>> install scripts from within Delphi itself.  They are always used externally.
>>    Creating an install EXE/MSI for Windows platforms is something Embarcadero
>> should implement in the IDE itself as part of its Deployment Manager.
>>
>> --
>> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
>>

> Youseful was one.. it was later renamed to ICE and I think abandoned.
> It was at its time actually quite good.
>
> best regards
> Kim Madsen
> C4D

Nevrona has taken over hosting it and it has turned open source.
Last update is many years ago, so I think its safely to call it
abandonware, but since its released under MPL, you can choose to do with
it what you want as long as you rerelease changed source units to the
public.

http://www.nevrona.com/ice/downloads.htm

best regards
Kim Madsen
C4D
0
Kim
12/11/2013 3:45:59 PM
+1 for InnoSetup

Customizing the setup with Pascal scripts is... well, so familiar :-))

Alexander
0
Alexander
12/11/2013 11:34:44 PM
maybe I was just spoilt by youseful.
But I have been looking at innosetup most of the day.
and I am a state of bewilderment as to how to use it.

I will keep investigating though.
0
Robert
12/12/2013 4:21:35 AM
On 12.12.2013 05:21, Robert Gilland wrote:
> maybe I was just spoilt by youseful.
> But I have been looking at innosetup most of the day.
> and I am a state of bewilderment as to how to use it.
>
> I will keep investigating though.

Inno Setup is a script compiler, without IDE.
You can download the QuickStart Pack from the inno setup download area,
which allows the installation of a free third party IDE called Inno
script Studio.

Mel
I wonder what you might want to do that this would have any benefit?
To me, there are two options for installers. If you need to be installed on any
type of enterprise network (university, business, etc) then you must be MSI.
Otherwise for personal installs, Inno Setup is a good option. But these can just be
a way to get the files onto the computer. Once the user opens your software, you
can do whatever you want in Delphi to set them up further, or you can even have
your code called from within the installer if admin rights are needed. I used to
try to do fancy things (even like install code validation) in installers, but it is
much easier and saves duplication to do it in the application itself. This is
particularly the case with multi-user use, where a PC may have the software
installed by one user and then used by another.

/Matthew Jones/
0
Matthew
12/16/2013 12:25:41 PM
I have used installers in the past,( such as youseful ) to deliver enterprise level systems to users who barely know what a computer is.
I have also used InstallShield itself which I found unbearable.

I have been charged with building and delivering a new enterprise level system, to users who are even less computer savvy than the previous group of users.

Therefore I need to build a plug and play style install system for these people.

I will not be the one delivering the system.
The system needs a fast rollout capability.

as such an installshield type system is a must.

I hope this answers your question about what is my requirement.
0
Robert
12/16/2013 10:57:44 PM
On 16/12/2013 22:57, Robert Gilland wrote:
> I have used installers in the past,( such as youseful ) to deliver enterprise level systems to users who barely know what a computer is.
> I have also used InstallShield itself which I found unbearable.
>
> I have been charged with building and delivering a new enterprise level system, to users who are even less computer savvy than the previous group of users.
>
> Therefore I need to build a plug and play style install system for these people.
>
> I will not be the one delivering the system.
> The system needs a fast rollout capability.
>
> as such an installshield type system is a must.
>
> I hope this answers your question about what is my requirement.

Have you looked at Inno Setup?  Perhaps it might suit?

   http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

It does have the ability to embed Pascal-like code in the installation
routine, although I've not needed to use that feature myself.
--
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
> I have been charged with building and delivering a new enterprise
> level system, to users who are even less computer savvy than the
> previous group of users.
>
> Therefore I need to build a plug and play style install system for
> these people.
>
> I will not be the one delivering the system.
> The system needs a fast rollout capability.

There is only one answer IMO - you must use a simple MSI. The best way to do this
is using WiX, which is an XML based tool, and I use MSI Factory to generate the
files, and then use FinalBuilder to generate new GUIDs etc within the XML and run
the compilers.

The reason for MSI is that it is the tool that anyone in enterprise deployment will
want - they will use one of the mass deployment tools to roll them out overnight.
And of course an MSI can be installed without admin permissions if the user has
been given the appropriate permission (it is the service that has the permissions
so it can do everything).

Once you are installed, it is easy for your application to do whatever is needed
for any particular user. On mine, I have another (low permission requirement) MSI
that is run once to install per-user samples etc. as well as the Delphi application
sorting its own options etc.

/Matthew Jones/
0
Matthew

Delphi 2009 Compatible Third Party Tools & Components
CDN Delphi 2009 Compatible Third Party Tools & Components page lists GExperts as compatable with Delphi 2009, but when you go to the GExperts website there is nothing mentioned about Delphi 2009 at all. Whats up? Bill "Bill Miller" wrote in message <news:17719@forums.codegear.com>: > CDN Delphi 2009 Compatible Third Party Tools & Components page lists > GExperts as compatable with Delphi 2009, but when you go to the GExperts > website there is nothing mentioned about Delphi 2009 at all. I've asked this question before in thirdparty.gener...

Is GNU Gettext for Delphi compatible with Delphi XE2 ?
The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi 5-2009. Thanks in advance lior ilan wrote: > The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi > 5-2009. > Thanks in advance It is, if you look in the forums mentioned in that website http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/ http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/message/3639 Regards Olivier ...

Installing Delphi Component Package
I have component package that is written in Delphi and for C++ Builder XE. The supplier provided install instructions, but it will not install. When I select Build/Install a file called "pasall.tmp" is created in one of the source folders. The IDE then reports this error, and opens the file in the IDE [DCC Fatal Error] pasall.tmp(1): F1027 Unit not found: 'System.pas' or binary equivalents (.dcu) This is the contents of the *.groupproj file that I am opening. Is there something wrong with it ? Ray. {code}  <Project xmlns="http://sc...

League System compatible with Delphi 2010 or Delphi XE4
I am currently trying to write a league system using delphi to be used for an upcoming football tournamant I am running. However, I have encountered some difficulty in doing so. Does anyone have a league system they would give me the code for that is compatible with Delphi 2010 or Delphi XE4? ...

ANN: wxForms for Delphi

Turbo Delphi and installing components...
I just donwload the free veriosn of Turbo Delphi, and when I try to install my packages (tested with D6), it says I have no licence for that ! DH > {quote:title=David HAROUCHE wrote:}{quote} > I just donwload the free veriosn of Turbo Delphi, and when I try to install > my packages (tested with D6), it says I have no licence for that ! > > DH You can't install custom components into the IDE in the free version of Turbo Delphi. That's one of the major factors that differ it to Turbo Delphi Professional. You can create components dynamically however. &...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

DesignIDE package and porting Delphi 7 components to Delphi XE2
HI I am porting components from Delphi7 to Delphi XE2, and started run in problems regarding MaskProp.dcu, some of the components uses this, and is looking for TMaskProperty class. After a lot of browsing on the net i figured out that all these units is packaged in the designide.dcp. So i have the design time component in a package that requires the designide.dcp and then the runtime component package that reguires the designtime package for the component. In the runtime component package i get errors regarding the MaskProp.dcu and the TMaskProperty class. I dont know what to do from ...

League System compatible with Delphi 2010 or Delphi XE4 #2
I am currently trying to write a league system using delphi to be used for an upcoming football tournamant I am running. However, I have encountered some difficulty in doing so. +Does anyone have a league system they would give me the code for that is compatible with Delphi 2010 or Delphi XE4?+ ...

Trouble installing components on Delphi 2009
Hi, I am using Delphi 2009. Components that I managed to install under XP - JVCL, Zeos and EhLib - don't want to install on my new Windows 7 environment. Is this a common problem? Does it go away with Delphi 2010? (I have downloaded the 30-day trial, but that doesn't do command lines). TIA -- Mark Patterson www.piedsoftware.com > {quote:title=Mark Patterson wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I am using Delphi 2009. Components that I managed to install under XP - JVCL, Zeos and EhLib - don't want to install on my new Windows 7 environment. Is this a common proble...

Web resources about - Delphi Compatible Installation Component - embarcadero.delphi.tools

List of United States Army installations in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Installation of a Ductless Air Conditioning System
Hochgeladen am 19.07.2011 Shop our ductless systems online http://ingramswaterandair.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ductless&am... ...

New Apple Campus 2 video shows installation of massive glass panels
... throughout Apple's Campus 2 construction site, showing extensive progress including the beginning of interior and exterior glazing installation ...

Martin Luther King Jr. art installation to commemorate Marquette Park march
Washington Post Martin Luther King Jr. art installation to commemorate Marquette Park march Chicago Tribune Sonja Henderson, artist with the ...

SolarCity Accounts For 1/3 Of US Residential Rooftop Installations In 2015
Originally published on Solar Love. 2015 has been a good year for SolarCity after tallying over one-third of all residential rooftop installations ...