ANN: RealThinClient W/A Framework for cross-platform development with Delphi

A new update for the RealThinClient SDK (v3.11) has been released.

RTC Web Applications Framework (included in the RealThinClient SDK 3.11) is
now compatible with Delphi for Windows *and* Lazarus/FPC for Windows, Linux
and MacOSX.

RTC W/A Framework is very flexible and straight-forward, so that new
components for cross-platform development can be added by anyone experienced
enough in Delphi, but the purpose of this new framework is not to write
components, it is to allow developers to use ready-made components for rapid
rich cross-platform internet application development. And that is where the
RTC Web Application Components will come in.

The RTC Web Application Components (currently in development, available as
Beta Preview to RTC users, with release planned in the 2nd part of 2009 or
sooner) have now also been made compatible with Lazarus, and the first RTC
W/A Player for Lazarus (in addition to the Delphi version) is now included
in the RTC WAC Beta Preview, making it very easy to compile a native RTC
Player for Windows, Linux and MacOSX.

But stop! Do not start making big plans for your next huge rich internet
application - yet. Only after the RTC Web Application Components have been
released (most likely in the 2nd half of 2009), or when third-party
component vendor(s) make their components available for this new framework,
will this become a real tool for rapid development, testing and debuging of
real cross-platform, web-enabled rich internet applications using Delphi for
Windows. The current release is still only interesting to developers who
want to get familiar with the new framework so they can write their own
components (either for sale or for their own use with the framework).

If you are a component vendor (or would like to become one) and are
interested in supporting this new framework by making your components ready
for use with the framework or by writing new components for the framework,
please contact me directly about a possible partnership at the
"Administrative contact" E-Mail address from:
http://www.realthinclient.com/contact.htm

For more information on this latest RTC release, please check:
http://realthinclient.com/forum/?cmd=viewtopic&topic_id=183&section_id=3
http://realthinclient.com/forum/?cmd=viewtopic&topic_id=4&section_id=32

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec, Team RTC
http://www.realthinclient.com
0
Danijel

"Danijel Tkalcec" <RealThinClient> wrote in message
>A new update for the RealThinClient SDK (v3.11) has been released.
>
> RTC Web Applications Framework (included in the RealThinClient SDK 3.11)
> is
> now compatible with Delphi for Windows *and* Lazarus/FPC for Windows,
> Linux
> and MacOSX.

Does this mean that the RTC SDK is now considered "production ready" under
FPC?  The previous announcement regarding FPC indicated that the SDK worked
under FPC/Linux, but that there were some issues with sockets that had not
yet been fully resolved.

If socket issues/performance have not been resolved, is there any estimate
on when we can expect the same level of performance and stability with RTC
SDK on Linux as we currently enjoy with the Windows version?

Thanks,

--
Kevin Powick
0
"Kevin Powick" schrieb:

> Does this mean that the RTC SDK is now considered "production ready" under
> FPC?  The previous announcement regarding FPC indicated that the SDK
> worked under FPC/Linux, but that there were some issues with sockets that
> had not yet been fully resolved.

Since the RTC SDK 3.x consists of client-side and server-side components, as
well as the new RTC W/A Framework, there are parts which can be considered
production-ready. Since the RTC W/A Framework basically uses the same code
on all platforms and builds on the higher-level RTC SDK components, it can
be considered stable. But most server-side low-level code which is working
directly with the OS is not yet stable enough to handle a lot of concurrent
connections. The good thing is that the only side really interesting for the
RTC W/A Framework is the client side, since you would only use Lazarus to
compile a RTC Player, while all your application code is implemented fully
with Delphi for Windows.

> If socket issues/performance have not been resolved, is there any estimate
> on when we can expect the same level of performance and stability with RTC
> SDK on Linux as we currently enjoy with the Windows version?

The communication part of the RTC SDK for Linux and MacOSX will be going
through a lot of stress-testing, debugging and cleaning up in the upcoming
monts to make it rock-solid for the RTC W/A Framework and Components, but I
can not say exactly when or if the RTC SDK for Linux and MacOSX will be a
worthy alternative to the RTC SDK for Windows.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
0
Danijel
12/14/2008 3:40:32 AM
"Danijel Tkalcec" schrieb:
> "Kevin Powick" schrieb:
>
>> If socket issues/performance have not been resolved, is there any
>> estimate
>> on when we can expect the same level of performance and stability with
>> RTC
>> SDK on Linux as we currently enjoy with the Windows version?
>
> The communication part of the RTC SDK for Linux and MacOSX will be going
> through a lot of stress-testing, debugging and cleaning up in the upcoming
> monts to make it rock-solid for the RTC W/A Framework and Components, but
> can not say exactly when or if the RTC SDK for Linux and MacOSX will be a
> worthy alternative to the RTC SDK for Windows.

Sorry for a reply on a reply (it's past 5 AM already and I was planning to
be in bed by now), but I think I should add one more thing before I leave

Making the RealThinClient SDK available on Linux and MacOSX has very little
to do with moving to Lazarus/FPC. I am sure the RTC SDK for Linux and MacOSX
will get into a stable state during the next year and Lazarzs/FPC will do a
fine job to make the RTC W/A Player available on multiple platforms, but no
matter how stable RTC SDK will get on Linux or MacOSX, I doubt many
developers will be eager to replace the comfort of a reliable and
user-friendly Delphi IDE with a rather buggy and relatively unfriendly
Lazarus/FPC IDE.

As for the RTC W/A Framework, it will offer Delphi developers a choice to
run their applications on Windows, Linux and MacOSX without compromosing
anything. All the code will be written in Delphi for Windows, Delphi will be
used for testing and debugging and most users will be using the RTC Player
for Windows. The option to run the Client on Linux and MacOSX connected to
the exact same Server as Windows clients will only be a cherry on top of the
cake. And in most cases, a Linux and MacOSX player won't even give you an
advantage, since 95% of all Desktop PCs are running Windows anyway. But it
might be a sales argument, because people like buzz-works like
"multi-platform", "cross-platform", "accessible from anywhere" and similar
(not talking about developers now, but end-users / your customers).

But ... I have to addmit that it was quite a thrill to see a RTC WAF Player
running on MacOSX 10.5 at my wifes iMac G4 (PowerPC) and executing a RTC Web
Application which was being served from my Windows Vista PC (intel) :-)

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
0
Danijel
12/14/2008 4:24:31 AM

> I am sure the RTC SDK for Linux and MacOSX
> will get into a stable state during the next year

That's good to hear.

I understand your point about  the client side being more important at this
moment so that the WAF player will be available to Win/Linux/Mac users.
However, an organization that has adopted Linux/Mac on the client desktop is
much more likely to have Linux/Mac servers than Windows.  For this reason,
the server side of RTC SDK is important.

I will need Win/Linux/Mac server side capability for the project I'm
currently working on.  I know this because I'm writing a system to replace
an existing one that is deployed on all 3 platforms.  This is making
technology choices both critical and difficult.

There are products I know how to use, products I like to use, and products
that I don't yet know very well, but they may be the best choice in the long
run.

Sometimes technology burns me out.

--
Kevin Powick
0
"Kevin Powick" schrieb:

> I understand your point about  the client side being more important at
> this moment so that the WAF player will be available to Win/Linux/Mac
> users. However, an organization that has adopted Linux/Mac on the client
> desktop is much more likely to have Linux/Mac servers than Windows.  For
> this reason, the server side of RTC SDK is important.
>
> I will need Win/Linux/Mac server side capability for the project I'm
> currently working on.  I know this because I'm writing a system to replace
> an existing one that is deployed on all 3 platforms.  This is making
> technology choices both critical and difficult.

In my opinion, the best solution (both cost-effective and easy to acomplish)
would be to get one new Windows PC which will be used to host your Server
Application. This will save you thousands of work hours which would
otherwise go into learning new technology and struggling with the usual
problems of multi-platform Server software. If, for whatever reason, the
customer should refuse to get one Windows box for your Software, there is
always the option to install your Server Application inside a Windows VM
running on a Linux or a MacOSX box. Sun has a good Open Source VM called
"VirtualBox" and there are other alternatives.

So, there are already choices if you have customers with non-Windows
Servers. But things start getting a lot more complicated when your customers
are using Linux or MacOSX on their desktops, especially if they have a mixed
environment with Applications spread across Linux, Windows and MacOSX. I am
sure I do not need to explain why replacing workstations would be quite
impossible in a running company. But a company getting a new Server will
most payy by unnoticed, while the work and costs involved are minimal (not
to mention the option with a VM with no hadrware costs).

> There are products I know how to use, products I like to use, and products
> that I don't yet know very well, but they may be the best choice in the
> long run.
>
> Sometimes technology burns me out.

I think Windows is and will be the most widely used OS for desktops. Chances
are very slim that this may ever change. And I think that for a developer
who is being paid for products he delivers rather than for hours spent
working, the safest bet is to stick to native Windows development. And
Delphi is still the best tool for that job.

For situations like your exapmple company where applications are spread
across 3 platforms, one obvious solution today would be to use HTML and
JavaScript for the presentation layer. When using Delphi and the
RealThinClient SDK, you have the choice to design your forms in a HTML
editor/designer (like Dreamweaver from Adobe) and use the RTC Scripting
Engine or the RTC Parser (both included in the RTC SDK), or ... IntraWeb
compiled into an ISAPI and hosted from a RTC WebServer.

And for the long run, the "RTC Web Applications Framework" will become a
good replacement for all of this, adding a true RAD environment for writing
cross-platform applications with Delphi. I know, it will take some time
before it is all in a production state, but the same was true for the
RealThinClient SDK and for the RTC Portal VCL years back when I've started
working on them. And I am still committed to completing my initial goal -
which was to create a Framework with visual and non-visual components for
Delphi to make development of cross-platform rich internet applications a
breeze.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec, Team RTC
http://www.realthinclient.com
0
Danijel
12/14/2008 11:34:48 AM
"Danijel Tkalcec"

> In my opinion, the best solution (both cost-effective and easy to
> acomplish)
> would be to get one new Windows PC which will be used to host your Server
> Application. This will save you thousands of work hours which would
> otherwise go into learning new technology and struggling with the usual
> problems of multi-platform Server software. If, for whatever reason, the
> customer should refuse to get one Windows box for your Software, there is
> always the option to install your Server Application inside a Windows VM
> running on a Linux or a MacOSX box. Sun has a good Open Source VM called
> "VirtualBox" and there are other alternatives.

WINE/CrossOver is another option too.
0
farshad
12/14/2008 2:10:17 PM
Danijel Tkalcec wrote:
> "Kevin Powick" schrieb:
>
>> There are products I know how to use, products I like to use, and products
>> that I don't yet know very well, but they may be the best choice in the
>> long run.
>>
>> Sometimes technology burns me out.
>
> I think Windows is and will be the most widely used OS for desktops. Chances
> are very slim that this may ever change. And I think that for a developer
> who is being paid for products he delivers rather than for hours spent
> working, the safest bet is to stick to native Windows development. And
> Delphi is still the best tool for that job.

Probably true for end users and general software products, but there is a lot of
interest for task based applications like Point of Sale (what I do mostly),
banking terminals, home automation, etc to run on linux desktop.

In cases like this where the terminal or computer will be dedicated to running
just one application, all of the time, I think linux is a perfect fit.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee
0
Lee
12/14/2008 2:16:56 PM
"Danijel Tkalcec" <RealThinClient> wrote in message

Hi Danijel,

> In my opinion, the best solution (both cost-effective and easy to
> acomplish)
> would be to get one new Windows PC which will be used to host your Server
> Application

> For situations like your exapmple company where applications are spread
> across 3 platforms, one obvious solution today would be to use HTML and
> JavaScript for the presentation layer

Just to give you some perspective, we're talking about +200 different
customers, some with multiple sites.  While your suggestions are technically
logical, I'm afraid that the realaity of IT department cultures and politics
sometimes make such suggestions more difficult than expected, if not
impossible, to implement.

I'm sure we'll eventually figure out something.

--
Kevin Powick
0
"Lee Jenkins" schrieb:
> Danijel Tkalcec wrote:
>>
>> I think Windows is and will be the most widely used OS for desktops.
>> Chances
>> are very slim that this may ever change. And I think that for a developer
>> who is being paid for products he delivers rather than for hours spent
>> working, the safest bet is to stick to native Windows development. And
>> Delphi is still the best tool for that job.
>
> Probably true for end users and general software products, but there is a
> lot of
> interest for task based applications like Point of Sale (what I do
> mostly),
> banking terminals, home automation, etc to run on linux desktop.

I can understand why Windows might be the wrong choice for banking
terminals, but I know quite a few Point of Sale solutions which are running
on Windows and I am sure it would not be entirely backwards to have Home
Automation software running on the same Windows box where you are checking
your E-Mails, Browsing the Web, or doing all the other stuff while you are
at Home. At least for me, having a separate PC at Home or in the Office
which would be dedicated for running a single desktop application does not
make much sense if the same box could be used for so muc more. But that's
only my personal opinion and I am sure there are others who will prefer to
have things separated.

Anyway ... can you say what you are using now to write software for Bank
Terminals and Home Automation on Linux and what is your experience in regard
to comfortability during development and testing and reliability after
deployment when compared to using Delphi for Windows? Thank you.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
0
Danijel
12/14/2008 6:18:26 PM
"Kevin Powick" schrieb:

> Just to give you some perspective, we're talking about +200 different
> customers, some with multiple sites.  While your suggestions are
> technically logical, I'm afraid that the realaity of IT department
> cultures and politics sometimes make such suggestions more difficult than
> expected, if not impossible, to implement.

Hi Kevin,

Can you say what is it that your customers might have problems with and why?
I can understand that some people working in IT departments have way too
much time on their hands and might find it interesting to rewrite their
entire systems just for the fun of it, but in most companies even IT
departments have fix budgets and solutions which are least expensive and the
easiest to implement will often outweigh complex solutions with high costs.

Also, you wrote something about products you do not know yet but which may
be the best choice in the long run. Did you have something specific in mind?

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
0
Danijel
12/14/2008 7:03:27 PM

> Can you say what is it that your customers might have problems with and
> why?

Yes, I can list many reasons, but what is the point?  To provide a list of
counter-arguments that I can take to my customers to try and convince them
to do something they're unwilling to do?

The real issue is plain and simple.  Some customers, for whatever their
illogical, inconceivable, and incontrovertible reasons, require a server
deployment option other than Windows.  That's just the way it is.

> Also, you wrote something about products you do not know yet but which may
> be the best choice in the long run. Did you have something specific in
> mind?

Other options include Java (unlikely) or a solution based on .Net and Mono.
All three of those are well-proven to work.  It would just be a matter of
selecting the appropriate tool set.  Hence my reason for once suggesting
that it would be interesting to see RTC SDK.Net

--
Kevin Powick
0
"Kevin Powick" wrote:
> "Danijel Tkalcec" wrote:
>
>> Can you say what is it that your customers might have problems with and
>> why?
>
> Yes, I can list many reasons, but what is the point?  To provide a list of
> counter-arguments that I can take to my customers to try and convince them
> to do something they're unwilling to do?

I highly doubt you need me to provide you with contra-arguments for your
customers. I also doubt it would make sense to try and convince someone into
doing something they are unwilling to do, as this usually ends in a complete
waste of time.

But, since people base their decisions on the information they have and my
information is limited to the experiences I have, while you seem to be
seriously considering to take the route away from Delphi, I was wondering
about the reasons (yours and from your customers) to seriously consider
taking this step. And, again, I am not asking this because I want to present
you with contra-arguments, I just want to understand your decisions.

> The real issue is plain and simple.  Some customers, for whatever their
> illogical, inconceivable, and incontrovertible reasons, require a server
> deployment option other than Windows.  That's just the way it is.

Someone who is strongly defending one position must have a reason for doing
that and most reasoning is based on the sum of available information. Even a
baby child has a reason for doing a lot of things which might look
completely irrational or silly to a grown-up. That is why I can't simply
accept a statement like "that is just the way it is" when my reasoning
dictates the exact opposite. So, there has to be a rational explanation for
the decisions your customer makes, the question is only what it is.

>> Also, you wrote something about products you do not know yet but which
>> may
>> be the best choice in the long run. Did you have something specific in
>> mind?
>
> Other options include Java (unlikely) or a solution based on .Net and
> Mono. All three of those are well-proven to work.  It would just be a
> matter of selecting the appropriate tool set.  Hence my reason for once
> suggesting that it would be interesting to see RTC SDK.Net

Java and .NET are very wide terms (just like Win32). Can you please be more
specific and also say what if in your opinion the advantage of using Java or
..NET over the option to host a Delphi Server application inside a VM on
Linux? As far as I know, Java and .NET applicatins are, technically
speaking, also running inside a virtual machine.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
0
Danijel
12/14/2008 10:33:09 PM
Danijel Tkalcec wrote:
> "Lee Jenkins" schrieb:
>> Danijel Tkalcec wrote:
>>> I think Windows is and will be the most widely used OS for desktops.
>>> Chances
>>> are very slim that this may ever change. And I think that for a developer
>>> who is being paid for products he delivers rather than for hours spent
>>> working, the safest bet is to stick to native Windows development. And
>>> Delphi is still the best tool for that job.
>> Probably true for end users and general software products, but there is a
>> lot of
>> interest for task based applications like Point of Sale (what I do
>> mostly),
>> banking terminals, home automation, etc to run on linux desktop.
>
> Anyway ... can you say what you are using now to write software for Bank
> Terminals and Home Automation on Linux and what is your experience in regard
> to comfortability during development and testing and reliability after
> deployment when compared to using Delphi for Windows? Thank you.

Sorry, I was saying that I think there is a lot of interest to write for these
platforms.  There are some.  Burlington Coat Factory switched over to a Java
based in linux system.  But you are correct, most of the larger offerings in
Point of Sale are windows based.  My point was that I believe there is a lot of
interest in using Linux for single task based applications like this.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee
0
Lee
12/14/2008 11:52:10 PM

> So, there has to be a rational explanation for the decisions your customer
> makes, the question is only what it is.

Of course there is, but it doesn't change what they require.

I had written a whole page responding to your various points, but then
decided against posting it.  I just don't want to continue the debate
because no amount of discussion will change the reality of the situation.
That being, some customers requrie a solution that can be deployed natively
on Windows/Linux/Mac.  It doesn't matter to me, or them, if you can or
cannot accept that.

As I said before, I hope that we can someday see the RTC SDK server
components working natively on Linux/Mac with the same level of stability
and performance as we have on Windows.

Regards,
--
Kevin Powick
0
"Kevin Powick" wrote:
> "Danijel Tkalcec" wrote:
>
>> So, there has to be a rational explanation for the decisions your
>> customer makes, the question is only what it is.
>
> Of course there is, but it doesn't change what they require.
>
> I had written a whole page responding to your various points, but then
> decided against posting it.  I just don't want to continue the debate
> because no amount of discussion will change the reality of the situation.
> That being, some customers requrie a solution that can be deployed
> natively on Windows/Linux/Mac.  It doesn't matter to me, or them, if you
> can or cannot accept that.

Ok, so you do not want to state your reasons. That's fine with me.

But ...

> As I said before, I hope that we can someday see the RTC SDK server
> components working natively on Linux/Mac with the same level of stability
> and performance as we have on Windows.

You have to understand that my task list for RTC is long enough for me to
work day and night for the next three years and still not be finished, which
means that I have to prioritize my tasks. And so far, except for a few
curious questions about the availability of the RTC SDK for Linux and
MacOSX, there seems to be very little real interest for the RTC SDK to be
used with a non-Delphi IDE. Hence, the RTC SDK server components for native
Linux/Mac deployment, which would only be useful if someone would want to
develop their projects with Lazarus/FPC, are currently on the bottom of my
"to-do" list.

RTC Web Applications Framework and Components are a completely different
story, because you would continue using Delphi to develop, test and debug
all of your projects, so that your Server can be deployed on Windows, while
using Lazarus/FPC only to compile native general-purpose RTC WAF Players for
other platforms (or use precompiled RTC WAF Players for Linux and MacOSX).

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
0
Danijel
12/15/2008 9:07:38 AM

> Hence, the RTC SDK server components for native Linux/Mac deployment,
> which would only be useful if someone would want to develop their projects
> with Lazarus/FPC, are currently on the bottom of my "to-do" list.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  This makes my decision easier.  I'm an
advocate of using the right tools for the job.  I"ll continue to use the RTC
SDK, but not for my current project.

--
Kevin Powick
0

> The RTC Web Application Components (currently in development, available as
> Beta Preview to RTC users, with release planned in the 2nd part of 2009 or
> sooner) have now also been made compatible with Lazarus, and the first RTC
> W/A Player for Lazarus (in addition to the Delphi version) is now included
> in the RTC WAC Beta Preview, making it very easy to compile a native RTC
> Player for Windows, Linux and MacOSX.

Will there be a WAF Player plugin for web browsers? This would be really nice and
would be the "killer application" for me, especially if the Player can also cache visited
forms so that we don't have to reload those. Another question, is the business logic
contained in forms (for example requiring the entry of a certain variable) executed on the
client?

Manfredt Kavetu
0
Manfredt
12/15/2008 5:49:21 PM
"Manfredt Kavetu" schrieb:
> Danijel,
>
>> The RTC Web Application Components (currently in development, available
>> as
>> Beta Preview to RTC users, with release planned in the 2nd part of 2009
>> or
>> sooner) have now also been made compatible with Lazarus, and the first
>> RTC
>> W/A Player for Lazarus (in addition to the Delphi version) is now
>> included
>> in the RTC WAC Beta Preview, making it very easy to compile a native RTC
>> Player for Windows, Linux and MacOSX.
>
> Will there be a WAF Player plugin for web browsers?

I don't see why not. But since some components will not like being executed
in the context of a web browser, instead of implementing a Player plugin,
there will be a Player loader plugin which will also be responsible for
keeping the local WAF Player executable up-to-date.

> This would be really nice and
> would be the "killer application" for me, especially if the Player can
> also cache visited
> forms so that we don't have to reload those.

Server and Player implement automatic caching mechanisms, which are caching
Forms and images in local a cache folder on the client, so that the same
content does not have to be reloaded the next time it is required, even if
the Client is restarted. Cache can be cleared manually at any time simply by
deleting the files from the cache folder.

> Another question, is the business logic
> contained in forms (for example requiring the entry of a certain variable)
> executed on the
> client?

All the forms with all the event code are written in Delphi and executed on
the Server, where you have direct access to your databases and Server
memory. All components have the same events you are acustomed to and any
component properties changed by the user are automatically synchronized with
the Server (where your code is executed) while all your changes to forms and
their components are automatically synchroniued with the Client (where the
user can see and use them).

Components handle all the communication and synchronization between the
Server and all Clients/Players.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
0
Danijel

ANN: wxForms for Delphi

Delphi Cross Platform Game Development [Edit]
A little survey Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux) game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler compatibility? This toolkit would take care of the boiler plate platform code to get a window up, change window/display states, give you mouse, keyboard, and joystick feedback, and abstract working with files, sockets, xml, audio, and 2D/3D graphics. Programs would be quite small and compact. They would also be stand alone binaries able to run with little to no dependencies. Possible program applications might include: Cross platform gam...

Delphi, FireMonkey, cross-platform development, oh my! Any books written ye
I tend to be both fascinated by new software technologies and depressed by my general stupidity. So I want to learn Delphi and FireMonkey. Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from? (Ideally a Kindle book?) (I am not a beginner when it comes to programming, just in the Delphi and obviously in the FireMonkey worlds.) <Andrew Brehm> wrote in message news:389250@forums.embarcadero.com... > > Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from? > (Ideally a Kindle book?) > You should check Marco Cantu's web si...

ANN: Critical Update to Castalia, Time-Saving Tools for Delphi Developers
I've just released Castalia 2012.1.1 (http://www.twodesk.com/castalia), a bugfix update that fixes two bugs, one of them critical: * Fixed: Certain syntax error conditions can cause a runaway, memory-leaking, stack consuming, infinitely recursive zombie parser thread. * Fixed: A syntax error is incorrectly identified for an array member of a constant field declaration. Castalia users with a current subscription can download Castalia 2012.1.1 at http://subscribe.twodesk.com. Everyone else can give it a try at http://www.twodesk.com/castalia/freetrial.html --Jacob Thurma...

Delphi 2010 w Delphi 2007

ANN: Habari Web Framework 2.1
December 8, 2012 – Habarisoft pleased to announce the release of Habari Web Components 2.1. This release introduces HTTP 1.1 keep-alive, WebSocket server support (experimental), documentation and demo updates, and all changes of patch release 2.0.1 to 2.0.3. Release notes: http://mikejustin.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/habari-web-components-2-1-released/ Home page and demo download: http://www.habarisoft.com/habari_webcomponents.html Special introduction offer: use coupon code “fpc50″ and enjoy a 50 Euro discount. Regards -- Michael Justin habarisoft - Enterprise Mess...

ANN: Habari Web Framework 2.0.1
September 15, 2012 – Habarisoft released version 2.0.1 of the Habari Web Components framework for Delphi and Free Pascal. New in release 2.0.1 * improved exception handling for component initialization and life-cycle operations * removed duplicate log messages for life-cycle methods * fix for a potential memory leak in case of a failed component initialization Home page and demo download: http://www.habarisoft.com/habari_webcomponents.html Special introduction offer: use coupon code “fpc50″ and enjoy a 50 Euro discount. Regards -- Michael Justin habarisoft - Ent...

Is dll developed in Delphi 6 works on Delphi 2?
I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was developed in Delphi 2 use that dll.? If not, please let me know in which areas i need change. The dll work is only to print and email. With regards, Srikanth Varma Srikanth varma wrote: > I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal > vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was > developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was d...

Delphi Prism and Cross-Platform
I own a copy of Oxygene . I only used it for some ASP.NET developement and never really looked at its Mono integration. Now its going to be shipped under a new brand with some new features. Now I wonder to what level we'll be able to deploy cross platform applications. Today I started a new app in Oxygene but couldn't figure out how to target mono. There are separate project templates under MonOxide category called Cocoa(Tiger), Cocoa(Leopard), WinForms (MAC OS X) and GTK#. 1) Can I start a new Windows Forms project and target it for all platforms? or 2) Should I s...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Any where to offer services as Delphi/Delphi for PHP freelance developer?
Hi, I'm a freelance Software Engineer. One of many that in current difficult days, is pushing for self-employment... offering services as Business Analyst and Developer, using Delphi, Delphi for PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL. Any where in this forum or other you might know where to offer these services to the world? Thank you, Guillermo Guillermo, The Delphi for PHP forum does have For Hire and Wanted For Hire sections if you haven't seen those yet: http://forums.delphi-php.net/ Thanks. -Phil > {quote:title=Guillermo Najar wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I&#...

ANN: My Delphi success story (15 years Delphi anniversary) ...
While most people associate this date with the St. Valentine, I have been associating it with Delphi since I found out that the first Delphi version was released on February 14th 1995. So ... this February 14th, Delphi will be officially 15 years old! On this ocasion, I wanted to invite everyone who has a Delphi success story to share it with the World! To start, here is my Delphi success story ... Since the first day I've started using Delphi (D1 on Win95 in 1995), I fell in love with this tool. It was the perfect continuation of the Pascal language and provided a sli...

Widen the delphi developer demographic in wake of the release of Delphi X2.
I appreciate this question has been asked a million times, but there is an opportunity here for a massive resurrection of delphi mindshare with the release of XE2. What do you think emb's strategy should be? I understand that its not just a matter of pricing but pricing is a major factor if you just want to develop the skills to use the product in the commerical environment. Will cross-platform capabilities give delphi the cool factor? RealBasic is cross-platform but it doesn''t have a cool factor for me, I think because of the language. Does object pascal have the same s...

ANN: Application Virtualization for Delphi Developers
Hello all, Application Virtualization is not only virtual machines, exe packers and so on. Application Virtualization is also what a programer needs sometimes: * How to load a DLL from memory without using a temporary file? * How to use ActiveX control without registering it in the system registry? * How to launch EXE without extracting the file to disk? * How to pass a data from a database (network etc.) to a 3rd party library that is able to load data from a file only (e.g., Flash ActiveX)? * How to create a portable application? BoxedApp SDK is a solution of such tasks. ...

Web resources about - ANN: RealThinClient W/A Framework for cross-platform development with Delphi - embarcadero.delphi.tools