ANN: My Delphi success story (15 years Delphi anniversary) ...

While most people associate this date with the St. Valentine, I have been
associating it with Delphi since I found out that the first Delphi version
was released on February 14th 1995. So ... this February 14th, Delphi will
be officially 15 years old!

On this ocasion, I wanted to invite everyone who has a Delphi success story
to share it with the World!

To start, here is my Delphi success story ...

Since the first day I've started using Delphi (D1 on Win95 in 1995), I fell
in love with this tool. It was the perfect continuation of the Pascal
language and provided a slick and easy move from DOS to Windows. And in my
opinion, 15 years later, it is still the best tool for developing native
Windows applications.

I have been using Delphi almost half of my entire life (I will be 35 years
old on March 2nd this year), before which I was doing most of my development
in Turbo Pascal from Borland. I admit that I've also done a project or two
in Clipper before Delphi came out and I was very hesitant to move from the
good old DOS to then quite unstable and clumsy Windows, especially since in
my country most database driven applications were written in Unix or DOS and
that is what I was supposed to earn my living.

But, the release of Delphi 1 has made my decision to move from DOS to
Windows an easy one. It took me about a month to learn how to use this new
"Rapid Application Development" method and and start using Delphi with its
"Borland Database Engine" and the Paradox database to write my first
accounting and book keeping application for Windows. That accounting and
book keeping application has grown to a 500.000+ LOC monster by the year
2000 (10 years ago) and is still used by several hundred companies in
Croatia today, even though there was NOT a single update released for that
project since 2001. Yes, that is 9 years of active use without a single
update! And the interesting thing its that this project is still one of the
most complete and most reliable accounting and book keeping solutions in
Croatia. Here is the product web page (sorry, it is in Croatian language),
which hasn't changed since 2006:
http://www.deltasoft.hr/trade/index.htm

Unfortunatelly for my accounting application and fortunately for the
RealThinClient SDK, Croatia is a small market which is already flooded with
at least a hundred commercial accounting applications, so ... I've left
Croatia in mid 2000 in search of a job and another way for earning for
living. This was where I've relocated to a small village near Frankfurt/Main
in Germany and have started working for a company making custom application
development. The job was just like I was looking at first, but only a year
later the company has decided to move away from Delphi and I have been
forced to learn Java, JavaScript, HTML, Java Servlets, Enterprise Java Beans
and everything else needed to write web applications with Java. I have tried
staying with Delphi in that company, but with everyone else going away from
Delphi, it was inevitable that I would need to leave that company if I
wanted to continue working with Delphi.

Believe it or not, my reasons for quitting the job at that company were
mostly because I wanted to continue working in Delphi. After leaving the
company and getting married (July 2003), I have started offering my small
remote desktop control application on my website for free download with a
donate button, proudly mentioning that the app was written in Delphi.

That was when a few Delphi developers have contacted me directly (by E-Mail)
and asked if I would be willing to sell them the source code for that remote
desktop control application. So, I put a price-tag on it and started
offering my product with Delphi source code in the Delphi ThirdParty
Newsgroups (owned by Borland at that time) in September/November 2003.

To make a long story short, these were my official beginnings as a Delphi
component vendor.

Today, more than six years and 500+ registered RealThinClient users later
(not counting developer using the free Remote Tools and RTC SDK versions), I
am really happy to have made the decision to become a Delphi component
vendor and spend most of my time working on communications component for
Delphi. I am also proud to see what has become of my small remote desktop
control project and am really happy to have partnered with NexusDB to move
the remote desktop control product ( now called Nexus Portal and available
at http://www.nexusdb.com/portal ) to the next level, while I continue
focusing and pushing forward the RealThinClient components:
http://www.realthinclient.com

My start into the Dephi component vendor business was rather bumpy, but the
last years have made it clear to me that it is a business well worth
pursuing. It is nothing less than a dream come true and I intend to stay
here for as long as there is a company taking care of Delphi :-)

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

RealThinClient components
http://www.realthinclient.com
0
Danijel

Danijel,

Very nice story!

Good luck with your continued success!!!

02/04/2010 13:57:45

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/4/2010 10:01:00 PM
"Quentin Correll" schrieb:
> Danijel,
>
> Very nice story!
>
> Good luck with your continued success!!!

Thank you! =:o)

--
Danijel Tkalcec
RealThinClient components
http://www.realthinclient.com
0
Danijel
2/4/2010 11:02:13 PM
Danijel very sweet story thanks for sharing it.
Good luck with your work.
My 1st Delphi memory was the huge box full
of info ;-)
Rita

From: "Danijel Tkalcec" <dtkalcec@RealThinClient.com>
Subject: ANN: My Delphi success story (15 years Delphi anniversary) ...
Date: 04 February 2010 19:34

While most people associate this date with the St. Valentine, I have been
associating it with Delphi since I found out that the first Delphi version
was released on February 14th 1995. So ... this February 14th, Delphi will
be officially 15 years old!
0
Rita
2/5/2010 7:25:07 AM
"Rita Tipton" schrieb:
> Danijel very sweet story thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for reading it :-)

Btw ... I've also been using Turbo Pascal since High School (1989), when my
technology teacher first introduced me to it.

I've been programming in other languages as well, starting with Basic on my
first C-64 box in 1985 (when I was in 4th grade primary school), some
projects in dBase and Clipper, a few projects in C, some functions and
procedures in Assembly (which I still use for things like image
compression/decompression where performance is very important), a number of
Java projects (between 2001 and 2003), some C# experiments, some PHP stuff,
some JSP, HTML and JavaScript, as well as bits and pieces of Objective-C
with X-Code on the Mac.

I'm saying this to emphasize the fact that Delphi is my personal favorite.
From all the languages and tools I've been using over the last 25 years,
the only one I really *love* using is Delphi. Nothing comes close to it.

> Good luck with your work.

Thank you.

> My 1st Delphi memory was the huge box full
> of info ;-)

;-)

--
Danijel Tkalcec
RealThinClient components
http://www.realthinclient.com
0
Danijel
2/5/2010 9:10:22 AM
Danijel,

| I'm saying this to emphasize the fact that Delphi is my personal
| favorite.  From all the languages and tools I've been using over the
| last 25 years, the only one I really love using is Delphi. Nothing
| comes close to it.

I can make that same statement...  just replace 25 with 55 (Yep,
fifty-five.). Of course I started in absolute binary machine language,
WITHOUT even an assembler, for a machine still in development (IBM
704). <g>

02/05/2010 09:47:42

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/5/2010 5:55:26 PM
"Quentin Correll" schrieb:
> Danijel,
>
> | I'm saying this to emphasize the fact that Delphi is my personal
> | favorite.  From all the languages and tools I've been using over the
> | last 25 years, the only one I really love using is Delphi. Nothing
> | comes close to it.
>
> I can make that same statement...  just replace 25 with 55 (Yep,
> fifty-five.). Of course I started in absolute binary machine language,
> WITHOUT even an assembler, for a machine still in development (IBM
> 704). <g>

WOW!

I can't really say I envy you for working in binary machine language, but I
do envy you for staying in this constantly changing business for over 55
years. Just thinking about all the things that have changed in software
development over the last 15 years makes me dizzy. I can't even imagine what
awaits me in the next 30 years.

Anyone wants to throw some predictions about where Delphi might be in ...
let's say ... about 15 years from today?

--
Danijel Tkalcec
RealThinClient components
http://www.realthinclient.com
0
Danijel
2/5/2010 6:59:57 PM
Danijel,

| WOW!
|
| I can't really say I envy you for working in binary machine language,
| but I do envy you for staying in this constantly changing business
| for over 55 years.

I may even have the IBM card with my first program on it somewhere.
(Hmmm,... I should go looking for that.  I may have donated it to the
Computer History Museum.  I gave them almost all of my "old stuff" some
years ago.)

| Anyone wants to throw some predictions about where Delphi might be in
| ...  let's say ... about 15 years from today?

Nope.  My crystal-ball is much too cloudy to discern that future. <g>

However, I would wager that the next 15 years will be "exciting." <g>

02/05/2010 11:00:48

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/5/2010 7:20:15 PM
"Quentin Correll" <qcorrell@pacNObell.net> wrote in message
[]
> However, I would wager that the next 15 years will be "exciting." <g>

Indeed!  Thinking back, my first high-level programs (ForTran) are now
over 40 years old, and I was doing hardware for a few years before that.
My earliest Pascal was probably Turbo Pascal 1 or 2, and I think I still
have the DOCUMENTATION for TP3 (1983?).  Remember when compliers came with
actual books?  Sadly missed today.

The earliest code on my computer I can find with a quick search is from 9
May 1985.

Cheers,
David
0
David
2/5/2010 9:31:19 PM
David,

| Remember when compliers came with
| actual books?  Sadly missed today.

Yes.  VERY sadly. <sigh>

| The earliest code on my computer I can find with a quick search is
| from 9 May 1985.

I went looking and found a file from Jan, 1980.  But it's from a piece
of CP/M OS based code I wrote on an Ohio Scientific system I built.. <g>

02/05/2010 13:35:39

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/5/2010 9:46:03 PM
Quentin Correll <qcorrell@pacNObell.net> wrote in news:210996
@forums.codegear.com:

> Danijel,
>
>| I'm saying this to emphasize the fact that Delphi is my personal
>| favorite.  From all the languages and tools I've been using over the
>| last 25 years, the only one I really love using is Delphi. Nothing
>| comes close to it.
>
> I can make that same statement...  just replace 25 with 55 (Yep,
> fifty-five.). Of course I started in absolute binary machine language,
> WITHOUT even an assembler, for a machine still in development (IBM
> 704). <g>

Hot darn!  You beat me by 8 years!  You really did start out in the
beginning!  Did you know Grace Hopper?  Or Jim Backus?  Or Roy Nutt?

Regards,

Larry Drews
TheSoftwareRonin
0
Larry
2/6/2010 12:38:36 AM
Larry Drews wrote:

>Did you know Grace Hopper?  Or Jim Backus?  Or Roy Nutt?

Or Charles Babbage?

--
http://melander.dk
0
"Anders Melander" <anders@melander.dk> wrote in message
> Larry Drews wrote:
>
>>Did you know Grace Hopper?  Or Jim Backus?  Or Roy Nutt?
>
> Or Charles Babbage?

LOL
0
Per
2/6/2010 1:45:34 AM
"Danijel Tkalcec" <dtkalcec@RealThinClient.com> wrote in message
> While most people associate this date with the St. Valentine, I have been
> associating it with Delphi since I found out that the first Delphi version
> was released on February 14th 1995. So ... this February 14th, Delphi will
> be officially 15 years old!
>
> On this ocasion, I wanted to invite everyone who has a Delphi success
> story
> to share it with the World!
>
> To start, here is my Delphi success story ...
>
> Since the first day I've started using Delphi (D1 on Win95 in 1995), I
> fell
> in love with this tool.
<snip>

Thanks for sharing.

Well, falling in love with Delphi is easy and once you're fallen there is no
turning back! :)

If I could afford, I would buy all old versions from current auction. I
think I can afford only one (D7 perhaps).
0
Farshad
2/6/2010 6:21:31 AM
Larry,

| Hot darn!  You beat me by 8 years!  You really did start out in the
| beginning!  Did you know Grace Hopper?  Or Jim Backus?  Or Roy Nutt?

I didn't know Grace Hopper.  However, I sort of worked with Jim Backus.
We were both in IBM Applied Programming at the same time for a while in
1957-59.  However, Jim was in New York and I was in San Jose.  So I
only really saw and talked to him when I visited New York.  Roy Nutt
wrote the very first assembler I ever used, called SAP (Symbolic
Assembly Program).

Those were the days.

02/05/2010 23:35:21

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/6/2010 7:43:23 AM
Anders,

| Or Charles Babbage?

  :-P

02/05/2010 23:40:49

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/6/2010 7:43:58 AM
> David,
>
> | Remember when compliers came with
> | actual books?  Sadly missed today.
>
> Yes.  VERY sadly. <sigh>
>
> | The earliest code on my computer I can find with a quick search is
> | from 9 May 1985.
>
> I went looking and found a file from Jan, 1980.  But it's from a piece
> of CP/M OS based code I wrote on an Ohio Scientific system I built.. <g>

Oh, I'll have stuff earlier than 1985, that was the earliest Pascal source
I could find.  I have 8-inch floppies (somewhere) with CP/M code for an
S-100 system I built, punched cards, and perhaps (although less likely)
8-track paper tape from the late 1960s.

Cheers,
David
0
David
2/6/2010 9:51:54 AM
A grand success story but it also portrays that there is no one to
follow/succeed in your footsteps and you are getting old. Who is going
to use Delphi after you?

That is sad. :(
0
Yogi
2/6/2010 1:12:48 PM
"Yogi Yang" schrieb:
>A grand success story but it also portrays that there is no one to
> follow/succeed in your footsteps and you are getting old. Who is going
> to use Delphi after you?

Everyone is getting old, but I would hardly say that 35 years is "old". My
grandfather was 98 when he died and was still quite active in his old days.
Also, you are forgetting that good products continue living far beyond their
original authors keep working on them.

--
Danijel Tkalcec
RealThinClient components
http://www.realthinclient.com
0
Danijel
2/6/2010 1:46:32 PM
David,

|... that was the earliest Pascal source I could find.

The earliest Pascal source I have is from 1982.  And the Earliest
TurboPascal (1.0) from 1983.

I just ran a piece of that code in a cmd box.  It blew me away that it
still runs!  And boy!...  Was it FAST!  Wow!  At first I thought it
didn't work until I looked at the output.

02/06/2010 09:55:36

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/6/2010 6:02:20 PM
Yogi,

| A grand success story but it also portrays that there is no one to
| follow/succeed in your footsteps and you are getting old.

Says who?

And Danijel is NOT old!!!

I'm physically "old" by years count.  But people, especially tech
types, are only as "old" as their mind.

02/06/2010 10:02:27

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/6/2010 6:09:10 PM
Larry,

BTW,... Backus' name was John, not Jim.

Jim Backus was a comedian of the era. <g>

02/08/2010 11:22:11

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin
2/8/2010 7:26:15 PM
Quentin Correll <qcorrell@pacNObell.net> wrote in news:211798
@forums.codegear.com:

> Larry,
>
> BTW,... Backus' name was John, not Jim.
>
> Jim Backus was a comedian of the era. <g>

That's what happens when you start getting old!  The first thing that goes
is memory.  I'll never forget old what's-his-name.

Regards,

Larry Drews
TheSoftwareRonin
0
Larry
2/8/2010 8:40:56 PM
Larry,

| That's what happens when you start getting old!  The first thing that
| goes is memory.  I'll never forget old what's-his-name.

 <g>

02/08/2010 13:24:45

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q's Screwed-Up ToolBar Mods]
0
Quentin

ANN: wxForms for Delphi

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi and virus, or virus and Delphi.

Web resources about - ANN: My Delphi success story (15 years Delphi anniversary) ... - embarcadero.delphi.tools

Anniversary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An anniversary is a day that commemorates or celebrates a past event that occurred on the same date of the year as the initial event. For example, ...

Anniversary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An anniversary is a day that commemorates or celebrates a past event that occurred on the same date of the year as the initial event. For example, ...

Facebook Announces Plans To Mark 9/11 Anniversary
Facebook's Washington D.C. office announces plans to mark the ten-year anniversary of 9/11.

Mark Zuckerberg - Today is Facebook's 10th anniversary.... - Facebook
Today is Facebook's 10th anniversary. It's been an amazing journey so far, and I'm so grateful to be a part of it. It's rare to be able to touch ...

Facebook will now wish you a happy anniversary
If you’ve shared your dating anniversary or wedding anniversary on Facebook, the social network will now wish you, “Happy Anniversary!” The ...

New Edition & Bobby Brown 25th Anniversary - The Urban Daily
We grew up listening to New Edition and Bobby Brown, take a trip down memory lane as we revisit their best moments together (and a part) throughout ...

50th Anniversary Edition Mellotronics M3000 on the App Store on iTunes
Get 50th Anniversary Edition Mellotronics M3000 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Flickr: Rosebud Cakes - 24 Year Anniversary's Photostream
Check us out on Facebook; www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Rosebud-Cakes/315722703... www.flickriver.com/photos/14559934@N04/ www.rosebudcakes.com/ ...

Sydney siege anniversary: What we know about Martin Place's Lindt cafe attack
The ABC takes a look at the questions that have been answered, and those that remain a mystery, one year after Sydney's Martin Place siege.

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony going on "Tha Crossroads" 20th anniversary tour in 2016
Cleveland rap greats Bone Thugs-N-Harmony celebrated the 20th anniversary of 1995's E. 1999 Eternal on tour this year, and in 2016 they'll go ...