RAVE Reports and Delphi 2009

I've just upgraded from Delphi 6 and actually, I'm not sure if the upgrade is a good investment. Okay, only got the pro edition, but with the added problems, maybe Delphi 6 was a better option.

More importantly, Rave Reports!!! Wow, is this reporting tool just rubbish or what! It's absolute pants. I'm really dissapointed with the quality of it. Though I suppose as it's bundled they'll get their cash whatever the quality of it within Delphi. I'm just hoping SCT Associates get a newer version of Ace Report out v.soon for Delphi 2009.

Anyway, RAVE, It doesn't compile properly, it gives a number of compile errors, I've already had to rewrite a complete report after accidently typing in the events page and it completly trashed the report. And even after patching it, which it doesn't do automatically you need to look for this, it now just gives a different compile error and shows garbage characters for the printer name. Even something as simple as selecting the zoom levels, 75%, 100% etc gives type cast errors!!!!!!

Dissapointing and frustrating to say the least.
0
greg

greg martin wrote:
> I've just upgraded from Delphi 6 and actually, I'm not sure if the upgrade is a good investment. Okay, only got the pro edition, but with the added problems, maybe Delphi 6 was a better option.
>
> More importantly, Rave Reports!!! Wow, is this reporting tool just rubbish or what! It's absolute pants. I'm really dissapointed with the quality of it. Though I suppose as it's bundled they'll get their cash whatever the quality of it within Delphi. I'm just hoping SCT Associates get a newer version of Ace Report out v.soon for Delphi 2009.

Don't judge D2009 by Rave Reports! Rave has some great features, but the
designer is not there. That's what I like about QuickReports -- they use the
Delphi designers (duh!), and version 5 even works in a web server. Or use
ReportBuilder or FastReports, they are both excellent. Or List and Label.

There are plenty of good options. And D2009 is a major upgrade from D6. Live
templates alone is worth the price of admission.

Loren sZendre
0
Loren
1/8/2009 4:58:24 PM
> Don't judge D2009 by Rave Reports! Rave has some great features, but the
> designer is not there. That's what I like about QuickReports -- they use the
> Delphi designers (duh!), and version 5 even works in a web server. Or use
> ReportBuilder or FastReports, they are both excellent. Or List and Label.

Can't argue with that really, and my boss is sooo impressed with the dev times using delphi and he is a hardened VB guy and although we're a VB.NET software dev house, I'm being allowed to produce my next piece of Delphi becuse of the obvious dev time benefits.

I've used Delphi since version 1, and each employer I've been to I've been able to impress with the benefits of designing win32 software in delphi over that of vb, it's always seen me right.

BUT I pitched my argument this time on being able to generate reports faster and more effeciently with Delphi than a VB/Crystal combination which has problems on Cytrix, only to get knee capped on the first day by what is more "bungled" software than "bundled".  I can't actually go back and say "can I have a bit more cash please to buy a report tool that works".....I'm hoping the Ace Reporter upgrade will work.

Cheers and happy new year,
Greg

Edited by: greg martin on Jan 8, 2009 9:09 AM
0
greg
1/8/2009 5:10:36 PM
Rave version 7.6.1 is available at the CG download site:

http://cc.codegear.com/reg/delphi2009

There are still some scripting issues with 7.6.1 but nevrona is working on 7.6.2 from what I have seen in the newsgroups.
0
Carl
1/8/2009 9:03:12 PM
greg martin wrote:
> BUT I pitched my argument this time on being able to generate reports faster and more effeciently with Delphi than a VB/Crystal combination which has problems on Cytrix, only to get knee capped on the first day by what is more "bungled" software than "bundled".  I can't actually go back and say "can I have a bit more cash please to buy a report tool that works"

If you don't want to spend money, I think you can download the Std version of
QuickReports for free if you have a recent Delphi license.

Loren sZendre
0
Loren
1/8/2009 9:41:54 PM
Rave for Delphi 2009 is simply unusable, because of that we can not use 2009 version, that's not mean that 7.5.2 (D2007) did not contains bugs, unfortunately Nevrona don't WANT to correct bugs that are present since the version 5 shiped with D7.

We don't know why Borland choose this buggy solution, and Nevrona team are not communicate, their site is out, no fixes, no consideration, nothing.

We hope that Embarcadero will choose another partner for reporting solution in the next release.

Sorry but we don't know where we can get the std solution of QuickReport for D2009 we are a registred users of course, may be you can help us.
0
Hichem
1/28/2009 8:00:56 AM
> {quote:title=greg martin wrote:}{quote}
> I've just upgraded from Delphi 6 and actually, I'm not sure if the upgrade is a good investment. Okay, only got the pro edition, but with the added problems, maybe Delphi 6 was a better option.
>
> More importantly, Rave Reports!!! Wow, is this reporting tool just rubbish or what! It's absolute pants. I'm really dissapointed with the quality of it. Though I suppose as it's bundled they'll get their cash whatever the quality of it within Delphi. I'm just hoping SCT Associates get a newer version of Ace Report out v.soon for Delphi 2009.
>
> Anyway, RAVE, It doesn't compile properly, it gives a number of compile errors, I've already had to rewrite a complete report after accidently typing in the events page and it completly trashed the report. And even after patching it, which it doesn't do automatically you need to look for this, it now just gives a different compile error and shows garbage characters for the printer name. Even something as simple as selecting the zoom levels, 75%, 100% etc gives type cast errors!!!!!!
>
> Dissapointing and frustrating to say the least.

I've just installed D 2009.  And it is not an upgrade.  It's a downgrade.  If I decide to use it I have to convert all my reports to Rave (6mths at least), or buy QR Pro (another $600 NZ).  In that case I may as just well buy QR Pro and never "upgrade" again.  Codegear has dropped the ball by including Rave and not providing for legacy issues.  Ok, you did for D 2007/2008.  How about for D 2009?

I can appreciate that those of us familiar with QR would boggle when meeting Rave.  After all the design philosophy is so different.  But Codegear must be aware that they are, literally, breaking people's software development strategies (and costing heaps) by not providing for a legacy such as this.  And getting hold of Nevrona - forget it - Page 404 errors.  Do they really exist?
0
Alan
1/29/2009 9:40:58 PM
I can say that I see the same issues with Nevrona / Rave.  There's still bugs in Rave 7.6.1, Scripting and can't use Bitmap / Metafile data.  I have tried numerous things .. changed using “RvCustomConnection with WriteField('PieChart', dtGraphic, 30, '', ''); “  to saving the Bitmap image and using the FileLink property in the Rave project, still no success.  I have also created a brand new test project with a simple table and image data stored … passed that to a bitmap on the test Rave project and the sa
me error … “Bitmap image is not valid”.

Make a long story short ... I have sent numerous emails over the last few days and NOT even one response.  I think they are out of business ... their website is a joke.  I found a blog where someone from Nevrona said they lost their main server and it put them behind ... that post was June 2008 and now it's almost Feb 2009 !!

I started testing FastReports (comes on the CD with D2009) and I like what I see, their scripting is nice ... allows for pascal, C++, Basic, Java scripts as well.  Unfortunately ... I have to pay ... the cost is not unreasonable ... and I was considering upgrading / purchasing Rave 8, IF it fixed their bugs.  But now with NO response and terrible customer service there is no way I want to do that.

Embarcadero / CodeGear need to ditch Nevrona, cause they are getting a bad rap by associating with them.

This post really belongs on Nevrona's site ... but that's out of the question ... NO one is home ...or at least answering    :(

Larry

> {quote:title=Alan Jeffery wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=greg martin wrote:}{quote}
> > I've just upgraded from Delphi 6 and actually, I'm not sure if the upgrade is a good investment. Okay, only got the pro edition, but with the added problems, maybe Delphi 6 was a better option.
> >
> > More importantly, Rave Reports!!! Wow, is this reporting tool just rubbish or what! It's absolute pants. I'm really dissapointed with the quality of it. Though I suppose as it's bundled they'll get their cash whatever the quality of it within Delphi. I'm just hoping SCT Associates get a newer version of Ace Report out v.soon for Delphi 2009.
> >
> > Anyway, RAVE, It doesn't compile properly, it gives a number of compile errors, I've already had to rewrite a complete report after accidently typing in the events page and it completly trashed the report. And even after patching it, which it doesn't do automatically you need to look for this, it now just gives a different compile error and shows garbage characters for the printer name. Even something as simple as selecting the zoom levels, 75%, 100% etc gives type cast errors!!!!!!
> >
> > Dissapointing and frustrating to say the least.
>
> I've just installed D 2009.  And it is not an upgrade.  It's a downgrade.  If I decide to use it I have to convert all my reports to Rave (6mths at least), or buy QR Pro (another $600 NZ).  In that case I may as just well buy QR Pro and never "upgrade" again.  Codegear has dropped the ball by including Rave and not providing for legacy issues.  Ok, you did for D 2007/2008.  How about for D 2009?
>
> I can appreciate that those of us familiar with QR would boggle when meeting Rave.  After all the design philosophy is so different.  But Codegear must be aware that they are, literally, breaking people's software development strategies (and costing heaps) by not providing for a legacy such as this.  And getting hold of Nevrona - forget it - Page 404 errors.  Do they really exist?
0
Lawrence
1/30/2009 4:29:51 PM
Just got a message on the Nevrona news group site, where I posted a message previously, and apparently barracuda was blocking their email. This is one of their responses:

Hi Larry,

Are you getting any of our messages? We have sent several in the past = few days and your messages seem to indicate you have no replies.

OK, on to your questions. Rave BE 7.6.2 is at CodeGear being checked by = their QC. Once it passes the QC, it will be released by CodeGear. *It = does fix the BMP, metafile problem.*

> [...]
> > >
> > > Dissapointing and frustrating to say the least.
> >
> > I've just installed D 2009.  And it is not an upgrade.  It's a downgrade.  If I decide to use it I have to convert all my reports to Rave (6mths at least), or buy QR Pro (another $600 NZ).  In that case I may as just well buy QR Pro and never "upgrade" again.  Codegear has dropped the ball by including Rave and not providing for legacy issues.  Ok, you did for D 2007/2008.  How about for D 2009?
> >
> > I can appreciate that those of us familiar with QR would boggle when meeting Rave.  After all the design philosophy is so different.  But Codegear must be aware that they are, literally, breaking people's software development strategies (and costing heaps) by not providing for a legacy such as this.  And getting hold of Nevrona - forget it - Page 404 errors.  Do they really exist?
1/30/2009 5:26:55 PM
Dear Lawrence Hudson!

Thank you for good opinion. You are welcome.

We will talk with Embarcadero about reporting tool in next versions of
Delphi/C++Builder/Studio.

I very hope to your support in this question.

"Lawrence Hudson" wrote: news:74709@forums.codegear.com...

--
Best regards,
 Michael Philippenko         mailto:michael@fast-report.com

Antti Kurenniemi

"Lawrence Hudson" wrote in message news:74709@forums.codegear.com...
>I can say that I see the same issues with Nevrona / Rave.  There's still
>bugs in Rave 7.6.1, Scripting and can't use Bitmap / Metafile data.  I have
>tried numerous things .. changed using “RvCustomConnection with
>WriteField('PieChart', dtGraphic, 30, '', ''); “  to saving the Bitmap
>image and using the FileLink property in the Rave project, still no
>success.  I have also created a brand new test project with a simple table
>and image data stored … passed that to a bitmap on the test Rave project
>and the sa
> me error … “Bitmap image is not valid”.
>
> Make a long story short ... I have sent numerous emails over the last few
> days and NOT even one response.  I think they are out of business ...
> their website is a joke.  I found a blog where someone from Nevrona said
> they lost their main server and it put them behind ... that post was June
> 2008 and now it's almost Feb 2009 !!
>
> I started testing FastReports (comes on the CD with D2009) and I like what
> I see, their scripting is nice ... allows for pascal, C++, Basic, Java
> scripts as well.  Unfortunately ... I have to pay ... the cost is not
> unreasonable ... and I was considering upgrading / purchasing Rave 8, IF
> it fixed their bugs.  But now with NO response and terrible customer
> service there is no way I want to do that.
>
> Embarcadero / CodeGear need to ditch Nevrona, cause they are getting a bad
> rap by associating with them.
>
> This post really belongs on Nevrona's site ... but that's out of the
> question ... NO one is home ...or at least answering    :(
>
> Larry
0
Antti
2/5/2009 5:52:49 AM
Dear Antti Kurenniemi!

Thank you for good words!

Can you place your opinion here:
http://fast-report.com/en/responses/report-generator-for-delphi-fastreport-4.html#sendResp
for our web-site?

"Antti Kurenniemi" <no@email.com> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> Rave was bad in D2007 too. I ditched it a long time ago, went for
> FastReports and have had nothing but smooth sailing since. It's very
> affordable, it really works and they answer support messages fairly well.
>

> Antti Kurenniemi
>
> "Lawrence Hudson" wrote in message news:74709@forums.codegear.com...
>>I can say that I see the same issues with Nevrona / Rave.  There's still
>>bugs in Rave 7.6.1, Scripting and can't use Bitmap / Metafile data.  I
>>have
>>tried numerous things .. changed using “RvCustomConnection with
>>WriteField('PieChart', dtGraphic, 30, '', ''); “  to saving the Bitmap
>>image and using the FileLink property in the Rave project, still no
>>success.  I have also created a brand new test project with a simple table
>>and image data stored … passed that to a bitmap on the test Rave project
>>and the sa
>> me error … “Bitmap image is not valid”.
>>
>> Make a long story short ... I have sent numerous emails over the last few
>> days and NOT even one response.  I think they are out of business ...
>> their website is a joke.  I found a blog where someone from Nevrona said
>> they lost their main server and it put them behind ... that post was June
>> 2008 and now it's almost Feb 2009 !!
>>
>> I started testing FastReports (comes on the CD with D2009) and I like
>> what
>> I see, their scripting is nice ... allows for pascal, C++, Basic, Java
>> scripts as well.  Unfortunately ... I have to pay ... the cost is not
>> unreasonable ... and I was considering upgrading / purchasing Rave 8, IF
>> it fixed their bugs.  But now with NO response and terrible customer
>> service there is no way I want to do that.
>>
>> Embarcadero / CodeGear need to ditch Nevrona, cause they are getting a
>> bad
>> rap by associating with them.
>>
>> This post really belongs on Nevrona's site ... but that's out of the
>> question ... NO one is home ...or at least answering    :(
>>
>> Larry
0
Michael
2/12/2009 1:08:05 PM
Agreed. It does seem a step down. I actually completed my other piece with Delphi 6 so I could use Quick Reports and Ace Reporter. So the jobs done at least. There were bugs in both Ace and Quick Reports, but none as bad as just plain breaking your application.

Unfortunately, I can't get the free copy of Quick Reports because my last Delphi version before 2009 was version 6. tut..

Greg

> {quote:title=Alan Jeffery wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=greg martin wrote:}{quote}
> > I've just upgraded from Delphi 6 and actually, I'm not sure if the upgrade is a good investment. Okay, only got the pro edition, but with the added problems, maybe Delphi 6 was a better option.
> >
> > More importantly, Rave Reports!!! Wow, is this reporting tool just rubbish or what! It's absolute pants. I'm really dissapointed with the quality of it. Though I suppose as it's bundled they'll get their cash whatever the quality of it within Delphi. I'm just hoping SCT Associates get a newer version of Ace Report out v.soon for Delphi 2009.
> >
> > Anyway, RAVE, It doesn't compile properly, it gives a number of compile errors, I've already had to rewrite a complete report after accidently typing in the events page and it completly trashed the report. And even after patching it, which it doesn't do automatically you need to look for this, it now just gives a different compile error and shows garbage characters for the printer name. Even something as simple as selecting the zoom levels, 75%, 100% etc gives type cast errors!!!!!!
> >
> > Dissapointing and frustrating to say the least.
>
> I've just installed D 2009.  And it is not an upgrade.  It's a downgrade.  If I decide to use it I have to convert all my reports to Rave (6mths at least), or buy QR Pro (another $600 NZ).  In that case I may as just well buy QR Pro and never "upgrade" again.  Codegear has dropped the ball by including Rave and not providing for legacy issues.  Ok, you did for D 2007/2008.  How about for D 2009?
>
> I can appreciate that those of us familiar with QR would boggle when meeting Rave.  After all the design philosophy is so different.  But Codegear must be aware that they are, literally, breaking people's software development strategies (and costing heaps) by not providing for a legacy such as this.  And getting hold of Nevrona - forget it - Page 404 errors.  Do they really exist?
0
Greg

Rave Reports and Delphi 2009
Rave Reports 7.6 starts with *EAccessError in rtl120.bpl* and crashes ???? Edited by: Peter Diekert on Nov 14, 2008 6:08 AM > {quote:title=Peter Diekert wrote:}{quote} > Rave Reports 7.6 starts with *EAccessError in rtl120.bpl* and crashes ???? I'm presuming you saw this post (about 10 below yours): https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=4363&tstart=0 ...

Rave Reports 8 and Delphi 2009
Hi All, Was Rave Reports 8 ever released? Are Nevrona Designs still in business? If the answer to both the above is No, can anyone recommend a product with equivalent functionality for code-based reports that supports Delphi 2009? Thanks -Mohamed Dear Mohamed Koker! What about no equivalent but richer functionality? "Mohamed Koker" wrote: news:89272@forums.codegear.com... > Hi All, > > Was Rave Reports 8 ever released? > > Are Nevrona Designs still in business? > > If the answer to both the above is No, can anyone recommend a product...

ANN: Delphi HTML Reports preview

Delphi 2009 automatic bug reports appear as Delphi.NET issues
For automatic bug reports, Delphi 2009 seems to put 'Delphi.NET' into the field for 'Project'. I will try to verify it and enter it in QC. Unfortunately this means I have to use the QC database for 'testing', but will delete my test entries if I have verified the problem. Michael Justin Michael Justin wrote: > For automatic bug reports, Delphi 2009 seems to put 'Delphi.NET' into > the field for 'Project'. AFAIK this is as expected. There is no project "RAD Studio" and so "Delphi.NET" has been choosen as proj...

View Microsoft Reporting Services Reports in Delphi
Do you ever think (or can) Delphi take the leap of providing a report viewer for Microsoft Reporting Services RDL reports. I have been using Fast Reports for years. Recently I have been developing MS Reports and Cubes. This is a far better alternative for developers and end users than the current solutions written for Delphi. Can someone comment on this or provide an alternative for me? Or even better provide me with a product that 3rd party product that can view ms reports. Delphi need to take the next step in medium to enterprise reporting and what I see, lags behind in this department. ...

Does Delphi XE3 has Rave reports ?
Guys I have applications has been built by BDS 2006 and I would like to upgrade to XE3 when I did recompile I got errors concerning rave reports .Please If anyone could tell me ,Does Delphi XE3 has Rave reports ?.If no please could you help me to solve the errors which I have got . > {quote:title=Mahroos Ali wrote:}{quote} > Guys I have applications has been built by BDS 2006 and I would like to upgrade to XE3 when I did recompile I got errors concerning rave reports .Please If anyone could tell me ,Does Delphi XE3 has Rave reports ?.If no please could you help me to solve the error...

Delphi 2009 and Crystal Reports XI
Hello @all, I've created a patchset, so you can use Crystal Reports with Delphi 2009. If anybody is interested - please let me know. Nils > I've created a patchset, so you can use Crystal Reports with Delphi 2009. > If anybody is interested - please let me know. As it is Delphi and Crystal: I'm interested. What are you patching? The Crystal VCL? You might post your patch to the attachments newsgroup. Gert > {quote:title=Nils Dzubiel wrote:}{quote} > Hello @all, > > I've created a patchset, so you can use Crystal Reports with Delphi 2...

Erro RAVE REPORTS DELPHI 2010
Estamos com problemas na migração de nossos relatórios do Delphi 7(Rave Reports 5.0.8) para Delphi 2010 (Rave reports 7.7.0). Já convertemos todos nossos relatórios e fontes para delphi 2010. No Rave Reports em alguns relatórios acontece erro de Access Violation ou Invalid typecast quando executado pela segunda vez o mesmo relatório. Na primeira vez ocorre tudo certo. Uma observação é que no delphi 7 o relatório funcionava perfeitamente e está extamente igual no delphi 2010. Podíamos executar várias e várias vezes o re...

Ace reporter in Delphi/Builder 2009
Our company wants migrate our large project to Builder 2009. The problem is that we have hundreds reports in Ace Reporter and no upgrade for it is aviable. Is there any way to get Ace reporter working in 2009 or is there any reporter which can import reports from ace ? Dear Milan Bačík! You can send report templates to "virtual windows printer" and try convertor from XPS (windows printer format) to FastReport: http://fast-report.com/pbc_download/xps_converter.zip "Milan Bačík" wrote: news:105462@forums.codegear.com... > Our company wants migrate...

Delphi report
Hello, Is there any FREE reporting tools for Delphi other than QuickReport and Freereport ? Thank you Dear Mike Thomas! Also you can use internal in Delphi Rave Reports :) Or use non-free report generators like FastReport (price starts from $79). Try to find free/chipper but better... "Mike Thomas" wrote: news:169748@forums.codegear.com... > Hello, > > Is there any FREE reporting tools for Delphi other than QuickReport and > Freereport ? > > Thank you -- Best regards, Michael Philippenko mailto:michael@fast-report.com Fast Repor...

Rave Reports 9 BE with Delphi XE problem
Hello, not sure if anyone has found out this possible issue or not. I am trying to upgrade a Delphi 2007 Intraweb application to use the most recent version of Intraweb and I am using Delphi XE to do this. I managed to get so far but when testing the reporting in the application it would just hang and eventually give an out of memory error message. I have tracked this down to a memo on the rave report that has tabs in it, so it is quite easy to get around by avoiding using tabs. However I tested to see if this problem would also arise if some of the database fields also had tabs in them, ...

Fast Report or Rave Report?
Hello, i just started to use Delphi XE2. Now i want to start to print some reports from within a Delphi application. While looking at the help i saw that there are to report tools. Fast Report and Rave Report. Which one should i use? Which is more commonly used, newer, better or preferably used? Which one is easier to deploy. > {quote:title=Magnus Mueller wrote:}{quote} > > While looking at the help i saw that there are to report tools. Fast Report and Rave Report. > > Which one should i use? Which is more commonly used, newer, better or preferably used? >...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Web resources about - RAVE Reports and Delphi 2009 - embarcadero.delphi.reporting

Latest Marketing, Tech, Social Media, and Blog Marketing Finds - The Friday Traffic Report
The Friday Traffic Report Home Blog Subscribe! About Jack and Jim Website Promotion Social, Tech, Marketing News Subscribe Now Latest Marketing, ...

Mile High Report - For Denver Broncos Fans
MileHighReport(MHR) is the ultimate independent resource for the Denver Broncos on the web. Along with MHR Radio, the official podcast of MHR, ...

the rajam report
… I kept having trouble with understanding what “mode” I was in, for lack of a better term. Specifically, it was weird that “glances” could only ...

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere
Rasmussen Reports - The best place to look for polls that are spot on

Insider Trading Report - Institutional Ownership & Insider Trades
Crude Futures Break Below $60, Supply Glut, Weak Demand... Asia Continues to Rally, India Shines, China...

U.S. News & World Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
U.S. News & World Report is an American news magazine published from Washington, D.C. Along with Time and Newsweek it was for many years a leading ...

Missing surfers: Families of Australians Adam Coleman, Dean Lucas head to Mexico amid reports unidentified ...
... with two identified bodies inside. The families of two West Australian surfers missing in Mexico hold grave fears for their safety, amid reports ...

Tom Brady Trolls Broncos on Facebook Ahead of 'Sunday Night Football' Showdown - Bleacher Report
The Facebook page of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has done it once again. Every so often, the perfect photo will be posted to the ...

REPORT: Colorado Springs Gunman Registered to Vote as ‘Unaffiliated Female,’ Was ‘Unknown’ to Pro-Lifers ...
The gunman who opened fire in a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood Friday was "unknown" to pro-lifers in the area and registered to vote as ...

Jay Skurski’s scouting report: Defense has to bring the heat while offense must warm to task
1. Rediscover the running game. The Buffalo Bills’ rushing attack was humming in two games coming out of the bye week, but it hit a pothole Monday ...