Windows Mobile 6.1

Right, I have done ziltch development for mobile devices, but that
moment won't let itself be pushed back much longer.

My naive questions:

- will I be able to stay with Delphi in order to develop for mobile
devices, such as the HTC Touch HD?

- can I use Delphi 2009 in any way to deliver apps for these devices,
even with third-party components?

- is any support for Windows Mobile planned in the future? If so, what
will it look like? Would it be based on .NET, or could we expect a
native solution?

Thx.

Dominic

"Dominic Willems"
> - will I be able to stay with Delphi in order to develop for mobile
> devices, such as the HTC Touch HD?

No. Delphi doesn't support WinCE.

> - can I use Delphi 2009 in any way to deliver apps for these devices,
> even with third-party components?

AFAIK, no.

> - is any support for Windows Mobile planned in the future? If so, what
> will it look like? Would it be based on .NET, or could we expect a
> native solution?

It is on the roadmap but not sure about the timeframe.
0
farshad
9/24/2008 10:24:36 AM
> My naive questions:

Yes

> - will I be able to stay with Delphi in order to develop for mobile
> devices, such as the HTC Touch HD?

This works on my HTC Diamond pro WM6.1 (and also on my old HTC Touch WM6):

http://dn.codegear.com/article/33507

Pro: It works, you can even use delphi.net (2006) turbo explorer as I'm actually doing now.

Con: Since you didn't mention the version of dotnet: it's .net1.1

Maybe look at this: http://delphi-notes.blogspot.com/2006/03/eager-to-use-delphinet-for-net-20.html

> - is any support for Windows Mobile planned in the future? If so, what
> will it look like? Would it be based on .NET, or could we expect a
> native solution?

We are waiting for the new .net roadmap, that should appear in near future. Rumors=plugin for VS

mvg Daniel
0
Daniel
9/24/2008 11:41:12 AM
Hello,

the best version for PDA/PPC development is BDS2006 or Turbo Delphi.NET
2006 as they have a WinForms designer. With some add ons from Jeremy
North (CF Builder) you can integrate some steps conviniently into the IDE.

It has some severe drawbacks:

- it only supports .NET Compact Framework 1.0 (current version is
  3.5, but most current devices will come with 2.0)
- if it doesn't work properly you have to adjust the source code
  generated by the designer for your forms by hand. (throw out
  what's not supported)
- the designer won't indicate which controls aren't available on the PPC
- no debugger!
- the IDE can't filter out methods not supported of CF

=> I've done some application with it but it's sometimes hard.

Additional remarks:

- WinForms designer was droppend in D2007 because MS did
  breaking interface changes and CG wanted to push VCL.NET
- I think the commandline CF compiler is still included
- D2009 has not yet any .NET part so this won't work
- PPC development is on the roadmap but uncertain when it will come and
  nowdays it's expected that it will be a native solution, as MS seems
  to have hardcoded some parts of the CF designer to C# and VB.NET
  (what, .NET should be language neutral? MS is kidding again)

I've  made the following QC reports which you might want to vote on:

 61699   	Create a native Windows Mobile (ARM4) compiler
 62288   	Create a basic VCL for a native ARM compiler
 62941   	Create a debugger for the native ARM compiler
 58346   	Provide a form designer for VCL.net compact framework
 58345   	Provide a base VCL for the compact framework
 58344   	Provide a debugger for compact framework projects

So unfortunatelly the best choices currently would be VS or FreePascal
with Lazarus if you get it to work (I didn't the last time I tried, but
it might have been my mistake, will retry it sometime).

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
9/24/2008 2:16:45 PM
So nothing native in sight then. Would you, by any chance, know what
they used on the HTC Touch HD, on top of WiMo 6.1? Could it be a .NET
app?

Groeten.

Dominic
9/24/2008 11:00:14 PM
Markus Humm wrote:
> So unfortunatelly the best choices currently would be VS or FreePascal
> with Lazarus if you get it to work (I didn't the last time I tried,
> but it might have been my mistake, will retry it sometime).

Thanks for the comprehensive post.

Before contemplating any other IDE/language, I wanted to make sure I
wouldn't be investing the time in something that Delphi could also
offer me in the near future.

Dominic
9/24/2008 11:04:26 PM
> {quote:title=Dominic Willems wrote:}{quote}
> Right, I have done ziltch development for mobile devices, but that
> moment won't let itself be pushed back much longer.
>
> My naive questions:
>
> - will I be able to stay with Delphi in order to develop for mobile
> devices, such as the HTC Touch HD?
>
> - can I use Delphi 2009 in any way to deliver apps for these devices,
> even with third-party components?
>
> - is any support for Windows Mobile planned in the future? If so, what
> will it look like? Would it be based on .NET, or could we expect a
> native solution?

My Take On Windows Mobile, Codegear Etc
I wouldnt expect to see anything for Delphi to do Windows Mobile development anytime soon (or long for that matter).  Sure its kinda on the roadmap, but its been kinda promised, kinda mentioned, kinda coming soon or kinda supported since Delphi 8.  My company (day job) put a freeze on buying ANY more delphi upgrades after D8 was supposed to support it in a follow on update that didnt happen then D2005 became shelfware.  I finally got them to upgrade to D2007 for other reasons, but the hope of ever having
a multiplatform solution for delphi is all but lost.

Pascal based Alternatives..

Free Pascal Compiler + Lazarus
This is multiplatform and many seem to be using it without problems.  Its still a beta product though which may cause problems for commercial use... its up to you.  (Native compiled apps)

Oxygene 3 (formerly chrome)
This is a .net dev environement...  can compile .net and mono apps and target windows, windows mobile, Linux and Mac OSX,  although there is no visual form designer for .net apps.

With other languages there are alot of options,   basic4ce,  visual studio, etc.

> Thx.
>
> --
0
Dan
9/25/2008 3:19:35 AM
Dan Ridenhour wrote:

> With other languages there are alot of options,   basic4ce,  visual studio, etc.

Dan,

I cannot find any info on Basic4CE on net.

Can you point me to the exact location on net?

TIA

Yogi Yang
0
Yogi
9/25/2008 4:37:22 AM
<Dan Ridenhour>
> Pascal based Alternatives..
>
> Free Pascal Compiler + Lazarus
> This is multiplatform and many seem to be using it without problems.  Its
> still a beta product though which may cause problems for commercial use...
> its up to you.  (Native compiled apps)
>
> Oxygene 3 (formerly chrome)
> This is a .net dev environement...  can compile .net and mono apps and
> target windows, windows mobile, Linux and Mac OSX,  although there is no
> visual form designer for .net apps.

Lazarus is the closest option to Delphi and the only Pascal based solution
with a form designer. For Lazarus always use the latest snapshot as it has
many WinCE related bugs fixed.
0
farshad
9/25/2008 6:43:10 AM
> So nothing native in sight then.

Nope.

>Would you, by any chance, know what
> they used on the HTC Touch HD, on top of WiMo 6.1?

Don't know

>Could it be a .NET  app?

I doubt that.

Maybe these guys can get you started: http://www.resco.net/developer/ they have a 'touch scroll support'

mvg Daniel
0
Daniel
9/25/2008 7:32:13 AM
Try this one instead, excellent and cheap
www.basic4ppc.com
0
John
9/25/2008 12:13:38 PM
John Terry wrote:

> Try this one instead, excellent and cheap
> www.basic4ppc.com

Looks great.

Dou you (or anyone else) know of anything similar I could use for Nokia
E90 (Symbian OS v9.2 S60 Platform, 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1)?

I would like to write my own thing to control things like these.

http://www.audon.co.uk/mfc8800.html

http://www.controlanything.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BTADR410ProXR&Category_Code=CAT_RELAY4
0
Adem
9/25/2008 2:43:37 PM
Hello,

I hope you've voted on my QC reports?
With any current QC client (except web client) you can now cast up to 10
votes per report!

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
9/25/2008 5:01:39 PM
[snip]

> Oxygene 3 (formerly chrome)
> This is a .net dev environement...  can compile .net and mono
> apps and target windows, windows mobile, Linux and Mac OSX,
> although there is no visual form designer for .net apps.

Would that allow debugging this .NET CF applications?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
9/25/2008 5:03:27 PM
John Terry wrote:
> Try this one instead, excellent and cheap
> www.basic4ppc.com

Thanks for the pointer John.
0
Yogi
9/28/2008 7:23:02 AM
adem . wrote:<br />
<pre wrap="">John Terry wrote:<br />
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Try this one instead, excellent and cheap<br />
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.basic4ppc.com">www.basic4ppc.com</a><br />
</pre>
<pre wrap="">&lt;!----&gt;<br />
Looks great.<br />
Dou you (or anyone else) know of anything similar I could use for Nokia<br />
E90 (Symbian OS v9.2 S60 Platform, 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1)?<br />
I would like to write my own thing to control things like these.<br />
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.audon.co.uk/mfc8800.html">http://www.audon.co.uk/mfc8800.html</a><br />
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.controlanything.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BTADR410ProXR&Category_Code=CAT_RELAY4">http://www.controlanything.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=BTADR410ProXR&amp;Category_Code=CAT_RELAY4</a><br />
</pre>
On the Nokia front we use AppForge Mobile for VB. It has runtime<br />
work on Palm OS, Pocket PC, and Symbian OS.<br>
HTH<br>
Yogi Yang<br>
0
Yogi