Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

How is a D7 Win32 program compared to a Delphi XE5 one in terms of stability
and performance?
Is Delphi XE5 good enough for a big ERP project with several DLL's and
hundreds of units and forms?
Thanks in advance
0
lior
12/26/2013 2:02:30 PM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Am 26.12.2013 15:02, schrieb lior ilan:
> How is a D7 Win32 program compared to a Delphi XE5 one in terms of stability
> and performance?
> Is Delphi XE5 good enough for a big ERP project with several DLL's and
> hundreds of units and forms?
> Thanks in advance

Hello,

XE5 has increased functionality. Stability seems to be ok for most
people (I mean IDE stability here) and at runtime it's ok as well as
they e.g. fixed those TSream issues they introduced in XE3 or so.

I wouldn't recommend the Firemonkey GUI framework for desktop apps
though. That has still a few things which need fixing in my eyes.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
12/26/2013 2:49:14 PM
> Is Delphi XE5 good enough for a big ERP project with several DLL's and hundreds of units and
> forms?

Definitely yes. Almost zero effort going from XE2 to XE5.

If you are coming from a version earlier than D2009 you will have the Unicode issue to deal with. I
converted a hefty string-heavy application from D2007 to XE2 with little real effort. Most issues
were with Rich Edit components and printing of RTF data. Before starting I was worried about the
effort involved. However, since the application doesn't use strings to hold binary data, as you
would find in programs that communicate with external peripherals and other devices over RS232, TCP
or USB links, this was a non-problem for me.

--
JF
0
> {quote:title=lior ilan wrote:}{quote}
> How is a D7 Win32 program compared to a Delphi XE5 one in terms of stability
> and performance?

Having moved from D7 to XE5 and have migrated code over am really happy with the changes..

> Is Delphi XE5 good enough for a big ERP project with several DLL's and
> hundreds of units and forms?
> Thanks in advance

Yes it will cope from what I see, however you may want to spend a few weeks looking at the enhancements, as you may well find you can significantly reduce the number of units/forms
0
Dominic
12/27/2013 10:00:05 PM
> {quote:title=lior ilan wrote:}{quote}
> How is a D7 Win32 program compared to a Delphi XE5 one in terms of stability
> and performance?

Performance at runtime is almost the same (if you used FastMM4 as memory manager in Delphi 7).
Executable are bigger, but behave almost the same.

For instance, our mORMot regression tests (several millions of individual checks, including low-level conversion, database process and multi-thread):
 Delphi 7
 Time elapsed for all tests: 25.17s
 Delphi 2007
 Time elapsed for all tests: 25.67s
 Delphi XE4
 Time elapsed for all tests: 27.49s

> Is Delphi XE5 good enough for a big ERP project with several DLL's and
> hundreds of units and forms?

I guess yes.
But Andy's fix pack is a need!
http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/ide-tools/ide-fix-pack-2009-10/
0
Arnaud

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

Debugging DLL compiled with Delphi 7 in Delphi XE5
Dear Sirs/Madams, We are considering changing from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE5. Our project consists of a dll and an .exe file. I have begun converting the .exe file to Delphi XE5 and have successfully accessed the DLL compiled with Delphi 7. When I debug the DLL (using the "run parameters" and changing "host application" to the .exe file) in Delphi 7 I can set breakpoints etc. and they are triggered. However, when I attempt to debug the project in XE5, I get the following message: Module Load: xxx.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $015A0000. Process xxx.exe (2928) ...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Win32 Delphi language features introduced since Delphi 7
Hi, Am I right in thinking that the language features introduced since Delphi 7 fall into the categories: a) language features dictated by .Net compatibility. e.g. Namespaces, Inlining, records with methods, operator overloading, pure interfaces, generics, extended RTTI and reflection; b) Unicode strings and supporting procedures? c) 64-bit support What other language features, if any, have been introduced since D7? Had most of the post-D7 languages features, except for generics, Unicode strings, and 64-bit support, been introduced in or before Delphi 2005? How bug-free were ...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

Converting from Delphi 2005 to Delphi XE5
I have developed a number of Windows applications in Delphi 2005. I recently purchased Delphi XE5. I have started by trying to compile an existing 2005 application. I am getting a 7 errors about FMXTeeEditor. [dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'FMXTee.Editor.Brush.fmx' Not able to find a solution to this. Any help greatly appreciated. Did you open every form before compiling? The old forms get updated with new properties when they are opened. I would make a copy of the old project before doing any of this. maybe you have links to the older tchart files....i.e its not usi...

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Moving from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? Specifically, is there better Vista/Win7/Win8 integration provided by Delphi 2007? (In the project I am already using a custom manifest file for Vista/Win7 etc.. and not the std XPMan component) Does 2007 add any new bugs to the scene? Thanks Rael Rael wrote: > Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from > Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? If you are going to upgrade, why not upgrade to something newer? > In the project I am already using a custom man...

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Web resources about - Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech