Which iMac, MacBook or MacMini for XE8 ios-development

I'm starting ios-development with XE8 and need to buy some
Apple-hardware. What do I at least need for this. Can I do this with a
Mac-mini or do I need a powerfull iMac or MacBook.
Any advice is appreciated.

TIA,

Ronald
0
Ronald

I use a Mac Mini hooked up to a 50 inch flat screen. The cheapest one which was ~$500. Delphi really only uses it for packaging and signing.
0
Eli
7/30/2015 12:30:54 PM
Eli M wrote:

> I use a Mac Mini hooked up to a 50 inch flat screen. The cheapest one
> which was ~$500. Delphi really only uses it for packaging and signing.

Do you think I can use the iOS-simulator on the MAcMini?
0
Ronald
7/30/2015 1:10:34 PM
Eli M wrote:

> I use a Mac Mini hooked up to a 50 inch flat screen. The cheapest one
> which was ~$500. Delphi really only uses it for packaging and signing.

Do you think I can use the iOS-simulator on the MAcMini?
0
Ronald
7/30/2015 1:11:13 PM
Eli M wrote:

> I use a Mac Mini hooked up to a 50 inch flat screen. The cheapest one
> which was ~$500. Delphi really only uses it for packaging and signing.

Do you think I can use the iOS-simulator on the MAcMini?
0
Ronald
7/30/2015 1:18:49 PM
Eli M wrote:

> I use a Mac Mini hooked up to a 50 inch flat screen. The cheapest one
> which was ~$500. Delphi really only uses it for packaging and signing.

Do you think I can use the iOS-simulator on the MAcMini?
0
Ronald
7/30/2015 1:19:32 PM
Eli M wrote:

> I use a Mac Mini hooked up to a 50 inch flat screen. The cheapest one
> which was ~$500. Delphi really only uses it for packaging and signing.

Do you think I can use the iOS-simulator on the MAcMini?
0
Ronald
7/30/2015 1:26:27 PM
Yes, it works great.
0
Eli
7/31/2015 2:38:20 PM
MacinCloud is other possibility. There you rent a Mac in the cloud.
https://www.macincloud.com/

JT from Embarcadero has video on YouTube: 'Building and testing a Delphi for iOS app using macincloud.com'.
https://youtu.be/zORe2voUHIU

Best regards,
Erwin
0
Erwin
7/31/2015 4:43:05 PM
MacMini is an inexpensive way to add a box to any existing machine you might be using.

Older ones can be gotten on eBay for pretty cheap, and you can increase the RAM and HDD if you're mechanically inclined.

Newer ones can be used to replace desktops for full dev environments, especially if you install a hybrid drive.

An iMac or MacBook Pro can be used with VMWare, Parallels, or some other VM software to host a Windows VM on OS X. I've done that for years, and Delphi runs fine that way.

One benefit of hosting a Windows VM on OS X is that you can run the Mac part outside the VM and you don't need any cabling to an external box.

If you've got a Mini or MacBook Pro, it's best to have a larger external monitor or two. (You can plug up to two monitors into both devices.)

You can also plug multiple monitors into the newest iMacs if you want.

(I'm looking at getting a 40" 4k monitor to plug into my MBP.)

BTW, if you run any Mac product, remember they've got something that used to be called "spaces" and is now called "Mission Control" that lets you set up a bunch of alternate desktops. They're now independent across all monitors. I've got 10 configured into each of my displays, which is like having 10 computers attached to each desktop! It's very cool.

-David
0
David
7/31/2015 9:26:13 PM
David Schwartz wrote:

> An iMac or MacBook Pro can be used with VMWare, Parallels, or some
> other VM software to host a Windows VM on OS X. I've done that for
> years, and Delphi runs fine that way.
>
> One benefit of hosting a Windows VM on OS X is that you can run the
> Mac part outside the VM and you don't need any cabling to an external
> box.

Indeed, indeed. It is what I am still doing (Windows in Parallels VM on
an iMac). No cabling, no problems, it is very easy to switch between
Mac and Windows, etc.

The Mac Mini solution is probably a lot cheaper and will work fine too.
But the iMac is the most convenient solution, and I prefer iMac/OS X to
a Windows setup anyway.

--
Rudy Velthuis        http://www.rvelthuis.de

"Democracy used to be a good thing, but now it has gotten into
 the wrong hands."
 -- Jessie Helms
0
Rudy

Can I do this with iOS apps developed in Delphi XE4 Pro + iOS?
I still don't have XE4/iOS as I have some questions first. Do I have access to iOS "native" library/system? What do I use for internet (downloading files etc.) - Indy? *If my research is correct, Google maps is available for iOS? Can I use Google maps or Apple's maps solutions in Delphi iOS apps?* If I have XE4 Pro, can I still use database functionality? Any restrictions? (Am I allowed to use what iOS offers or connect with a database on a webserver?) Anyone here developed demo apps I can see available in Apple iTunes store? (Even simple apps is okay as I onl...

Delphi XE8 IdSSLOpenSSL crashes on iOS
Hi! I got an e-mail from one of my users of my component: Hi, I’ve managed to locate where the code is failing and put together a simple test case which demonstrates the problem. The problem occurs in TCPClientThread.pas in procedure TTCPClientThread.IdTCPClientConnected in the line SendPassWord := HashSHA512String(Trim(ServerResponse) + PassWord)); The call to HashSHA512String fails consistently on IOS with the error “Access violation at address 0000000000000000, accessing address 0000000000000000. This occurs on iDevices running IOS 8.3 both in 64 bit and 32 bit...

Delphi and Native Development for iOS and Android
I have seen a lot of flame wars here and in blogs about Delphi and its "native" development for iOS and Android (and of course speed). I think a lot of it has to do with unrealistic, or perhaps oversold, expectations. I decided to throw my 2 cents about it (or maybe I should just say oil :-)) in this blog post. It is too long to post here but if you are interested, please go to http://blogs.riversoftavg.com/index.php/2013/09/28/delphi-for-ios-and-android-the-natives-are-restless/ These are my +personal+ beliefs and thoughts, but I believe if you choose Delphi with open eyes t...

I will never use Delphi for iOS development
I posted an article on my blog explaining why I would never use Delphi for anything other than Windows development: http://mihaelamj.com/delphi/i-will-never-use-delphi-for-ios-development/ I just wanted to point out the "(BTFTJ) best tool for the job" paradigm, and when it comes to Delphi, the job is done on Windows. I love Delphi, I'm still using it and will continue to use in the future. But I just want other developers no to be seduced by "do it all in Delphi" frame of mind, because that is just plain wrong (BTFTJ agin). Cheers There is a bug in your b...

Delphi XE2 iOS Development PDF courseware manual
Hi All, Yesterday I held my Delphi XE2 iOS Development seminar in The Netherlands (for about 75 developers), and today - on Delphi's 17th birthday - I've released the first edition of my Delphi XE2 iOS Development manual in PDF format. With 150 pages, and more to come (if you buy it now for 99 Euro, you'll also get all updates until the end of this year, as usual). See http://www.ebob42.com/courseware/56.htm for more information, or http://www.ebob42.com/courseware for an overview of all current titles. Groetjes, Bob Swart -- Bob Swart Training...

OSX Lion okay for developing IOS apps with XE8?
Hi All, The docwiki says: Your Mac has a qualified GPU if your Mac is running either of the following operating systems: OS X 10.9 Mavericks OS X 10.10 Yosemite Does this mean that at least 10.9 is required to develop for iOS? (Just asking... I've been offered a Mac Mini, but it has OSX 10.7 - Lion, not sure if its useable for XE8 / iOS) Thanks, John Hi, why don't you upgrade you mac mini to OS X 10.9 ? I have also a mac mini, 2011 ( start with OS X Mountain Lion ) and now, it run ok with OS X 10.10.2 ( 8 Go RAM ) On 17/04/2015 18:53, Chad GEBELIN wrote:...

How to create iOS Service application using delphi XE8
Hi, I'm using Delphi XE8 for developing mobile application. In that I have tried to create Service application for Android and iOs. And from the internet I found some of the sample code for developing Service application in Android. [Sample code for Android Service application|http://blog.blong.com/2013/11/delphi-and-android-services.html] . And Please provide me any sample code for developing Service Application for iPhone(iOs) or is the same code can be used for iPhone also. Please help me in this. Thanks A lot. https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iPhone/Concept...

Delphi XE8, using iOS framework gives AV
The app uses the iOS framework CoreMIDI and works fine targeting iOSDevice (8.2), but on iOSSimulator (iOS8.2) I get an AV on the first function call (MIDIGetNumberOfSources) from this framework. There are no errors shown by Delphi, nor by the paServer in Verbose mode, and a *new empty app that only calls MIDIGetNumberOfSources, does not fail either*! How can calling a framework suddenly not work, in this main app? I think the bindings for the framework are correct. I have added the framework to the iPhoneSimulator 8.2 SDK in the Delphi SDK manager, updated local File Cache and verifi...

Delphi XE8, using iOS framework gives AV
The app uses the iOS framework CoreMIDI and works fine targeting iOSDevice (8.2), but on iOSSimulator (iOS8.2) I get an AV on the first function call (MIDIGetNumberOfSources) from this framework. There are no errors shown by Delphi, nor by the paServer in Verbose mode, and a *new empty app that only calls MIDIGetNumberOfSources, does not fail either*! How can calling a framework suddenly not work, in this main app? I think the bindings for the framework are correct. I have added the framework to the iPhoneSimulator 8.2 SDK in the Delphi SDK manager, updated local File Cache and verifi...

Delphi XE8 FireMonkey iOS Style problem with segmented buttons
Hi, Going through some tutorials to get used to mobile development using FireMonkey and Delphi XE8. One of the most basic layouts tend to use the toolbar component with segmented speed buttons, and then applying the correct segmented style to each button. However, there seems to be an issue with the iOS style. ...

Delphi XE8 FireMonkey iOS Style problem with segmented buttons [Edit]
Hi, Going through some tutorials to get used to mobile development using FireMonkey and Delphi XE8. One of the most basic layouts tend to use the toolbar component with segmented speed buttons, and then applying the correct segmented style to each button. However, there seems to be an issue with the iOS style. [Screenshot.|https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68Ju-patBf-RVVEMmI5UDd2cG8/view?usp=sharing] Using the "segmentedbuttonleft", "segmentedbuttonmiddle", and "segmentedbuttonright" styles is producing an extra border on the right button in iOS. It seems...

Simple Form gets System.IO.FileNotFoundException when run on non-development system
I have a empty vb.net form that when built on my computer will not run on any other computer(System.IO.FileNotFoundException ). If I build the same solution on a different computer it works on all computers. I think it has something to do with the security policy, but as far as I can tell both VS 2005 environments are configured exactly the same. Any Ideas? Thanks, Josh It is a security policy issue most likely. I had that problem with another web host when working with the Cryptography namespace. Contact your webhost or the administrator of the server.Cheers,    ...

Delphi developers who are also Python developers [Edit]
I'm interested in knowing how many Delphi developers here also have expert level skills in Python/Django web-framework and use the same in production / at work? How long did it take you to get started and then up and running? What were the best resources that helped in learning learn Python/Django? What are the difficult topics to master? I'm applying for a job here in Nigeria that requires Python/Django, but have only PHP (and some Zend framework) skills. I'm wondering how quickly I will be able to pick up Python and then get up and running with Django. -- Steve...

Web resources about - Which iMac, MacBook or MacMini for XE8 ios-development - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

iOctocat - GitHub for iOS - Code and Development with Git on the App Store on iTunes
Get iOctocat - GitHub for iOS - Code and Development with Git on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

iOS development Articles - AppAdvice iPhone/iPad News
Latest iOS development Articles - AppAdvice iPhone/iPad News

Look away from the iPhone: Non-iOS development is where it's at
Mitchell Baker, executive chairwoman at Mozilla, says that there's huge opportunity around the world targeting people who've never even heard ...

Test-Driven iOS Development with Specta and Expecta
I’ve always enjoyed Test-Driven Development. I find that it helps keep me focused on thinking about small steps and object interactions. But ...

TinyGrab Stops iOS Development Over New In-App Subscription Policies… And Dropbox Could Be Next - Cult ...
The makers of Readability aren't the only small app developers openly criticizing Apple this morning for their prohibitive new in-app subscription ...

What Are The Best New Resources For Learning iOS Development In 2014?
What are the best new resources for learning iOS development in 2014? This question was originally answered on Quora by Richard Henry.

Did iOS Development Just Get a lot Simpler?
Apple commenced WWDC, their annual developer conference in San Francisco, with a two-hour keynote. The presentation featured several software ...

Apple iOS development extended to Visual Studio
With Xamarin version 2.0, Visual Studio developers can build C# apps to run on Apple devices

Apple will 'relax' some iOS development restrictions, notably third-party tools like Flash CS5
In case you haven't been following along too much at home, we'll give you the quick recap: The Apple App Store submission and review process ...

Apple Compiles iOS Development Resources in New 'Designing Great Apps' Hub
Apple is making it easier for developers to find the resources they need when designing their iOS apps. The company added a new "Designing Great ...