What we need to learn as we migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2012

As we prepare to move from Delphi 2007 to the Delphi of next
summer/fall, and 64bit some day, we are looking for a list of
improvements to Delphi (from IDE to the language) that have been done
from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE, as well as any planned ones for the next
version.

We understand the daunting migration to Unicode that awaits us but know
that we have missed some "new and improved" items where we have to get
all our developers up to speed on that may not be related to Unicode.
So, we will need to plan some training before we jump in.

Is there such a list out there?  There used to be one on what has been
done since Delphi 7 to D2007 <?> or so.  Maybe there is one to XE.

Thanks!

-Eduardo
0
Eduardo

> {quote:title=Eduardo A. Salgado wrote:}{quote}
> As we prepare to move from Delphi 2007 to the Delphi of next
> summer/fall, and 64bit some day, we are looking for a list of
> improvements to Delphi (from IDE to the language) that have been done
> from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE, as well as any planned ones for the next
> version.
>
> We understand the daunting migration to Unicode that awaits us but know
> that we have missed some "new and improved" items where we have to get
> all our developers up to speed on that may not be related to Unicode.
> So, we will need to plan some training before we jump in.
>
> Is there such a list out there?  There used to be one on what has been
> done since Delphi 7 to D2007 <?> or so.  Maybe there is one to XE.

You can check out the "what's new" pages on the Embarcadero DocWiki:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/What%27s_New_in_Delphi_and_C%2B%2BBuilder_2009
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/What%27s_New_in_Delphi_and_C%2B%2BBuilder_2010
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/What%27s_New

Marco Cantu and Bob Swart have both published books on the subject.  PDF versions of Marco's books are available on Embarcadero's registered user site, and Bob has beaten everyone to the punch by publishing the first XE book.

--
Regards
Bruce McGee
> {quote:title=Eduardo A. Salgado wrote:}{quote}
> As we prepare to move from Delphi 2007 to the Delphi of next
> summer/fall, and 64bit some day, we are looking for a list of
> improvements to Delphi (from IDE to the language) that have been done
> from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE, as well as any planned ones for the next
> version.
>
> We understand the daunting migration to Unicode that awaits us but know
> that we have missed some "new and improved" items where we have to get
> all our developers up to speed on that may not be related to Unicode.
> So, we will need to plan some training before we jump in.
>
> Is there such a list out there?  There used to be one on what has been
> done since Delphi 7 to D2007 <?> or so.  Maybe there is one to XE.

The only real technical hurdle is the Unicode.  Once you get that working right, you can use the rest of your code mostly unchanged, with the exception of a few syntax issues that will cause compile errors and can be fixed trivially.  For example, in D2010 they fixed a bug where you could use *with* and a read-only property of a record type to try to modify the record, with weird results.  That will no longer compile, but it's not hard to fix.

Once you update, you'll get all the bugfixes and new functionality added into the VCL and RTL, and your existing code should still work fine.  The other differences are new language and library features added in the last three releases.  Those are completely optional.  You don't +need+ to learn them, but they can definitely be helpful for certain situations, and your team would do well to pick them up over the next few months.  Bruce's links give you some examples of the new features that are available an
d what they can be used for.
0
Mason
11/8/2010 11:36:41 PM
<Mason Wheeler> wrote in message news:303936@forums.embarcadero.com...

> Once you get that working right, you can use the rest of your
> code mostly unchanged, with the exception of a few syntax
> issues that will cause compile errors and can be fixed trivially.

Like stuffing pointers into Integers.  Hopefully they will be wise enough to
update TComponent.Tag, callback parameters, etc to use a more suitable data
type under 64-bit, like IntPtr, instead of Integer.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
"Remy Lebeau (TeamB)" <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message >

> Like stuffing pointers into Integers.  Hopefully they will be wise enough
> to update TComponent.Tag, callback parameters, etc to use a more suitable
> data type under 64-bit, like IntPtr, instead of Integer.

I think that it has already been mentioned that the Tag property will become
a NativeInt type for the next release of Delphi.

Mike
0
Mike
11/9/2010 10:29:48 AM
On 09.11.2010 00:36, Mason Wheeler wrote:
>> {quote:title=Eduardo A. Salgado wrote:}{quote}
>> As we prepare to move from Delphi 2007 to the Delphi of next
>> summer/fall, and 64bit some day, we are looking for a list of
>> improvements to Delphi (from IDE to the language) that have been done
>> from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE, as well as any planned ones for the next
>> version.
>>
>> We understand the daunting migration to Unicode that awaits us but know
>> that we have missed some "new and improved" items where we have to get
>> all our developers up to speed on that may not be related to Unicode.
>> So, we will need to plan some training before we jump in.
>>
>> Is there such a list out there?  There used to be one on what has been
>> done since Delphi 7 to D2007<?>  or so.  Maybe there is one to XE.
>
> The only real technical hurdle is the Unicode.  Once you get that working right, you can use the rest of your code mostly unchanged, with the exception of a few syntax issues that will cause compile errors and can be fixed trivially.  For example, in D2010 they fixed a bug where you could use *with* and a read-only property of a record type to try to modify the record, with weird results.  That will no longer compile, but it's not hard to fix.
>
> Once you update, you'll get all the bugfixes and new functionality added into the VCL and RTL, and your existing code should still work fine.  The other differences are new language and library features added in the last three releases.  Those are completely optional.  You don't +need+ to learn them, but they can definitely be helpful for certain situations, and your team would do well to pick them up over the next few months.  Bruce's links give you some examples of the new features that are available
an
> d what they can be used for.

As I understood  it from another thread, also Readln/Writeln don't work
at all with Unicode so you need to use a stringlist instead, if I
haven't misunderstood completely
0
Alf
11/9/2010 12:06:48 PM
https://forums.embarcadero.com/message.jspa?messageID=241386

https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=35085&tstart=44
0
Robert
11/9/2010 12:49:55 PM
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

> Hopefully they will be wise enough to update TComponent.Tag

IIRC, Allen's already mentioned this has been done.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.embarcadero.com/johnk
Embarcadero Developer Network: http://edn.embarcadero.com

> As I understood  it from another thread, also Readln/Writeln don't work
> at all with Unicode so you need to use a stringlist instead, if I
> haven't misunderstood completely

Afaik you're right on this.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
11/9/2010 9:14:54 PM
Eduardo A. Salgado wrote:
> As we prepare to move from Delphi 2007 to the Delphi of next
> summer/fall, and 64bit some day, we are looking for a list of
> improvements to Delphi (from IDE to the language) that have been done
> from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE, as well as any planned ones for the next
> version.

Thanks for all your answers.

Today, Embarcadero put out a White Paper on just what we may all have
missed in the various versions of Delphi from 7 to XE.

See White Paper: Reasons to Migrate to Delphi XE – What you might have
missed since Delphi 7
(http://www.andreanolanusse.com/blogen/white-paper-reasons-to-migrate-to-delphi-xe-what-you-might-have-missed-since-delphi-7/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=white-paper-reasons-to-migrate-to-delphi-xe-what-you-might-have-missed-since-delphi-7)

http://tinyurl.com/38ug8vt

Just what we were looking for!

Thanks!

-Eduardo
0
Eduardo

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Migration from Delphi 2007 Rad to Delphi XE Where is Quickreports
Have installed and finally registered Delphi Xe, I am looking for Quickreports but am unable to find it anywhere, I asked the Distributer and was told its packaged in Delphi XE, Well I should have gone to specsavers......cos I cant see it any where ? > {quote:title=Colin Coleman wrote:}{quote} > Have installed and finally registered Delphi Xe, I am looking for Quickreports but am unable to find it anywhere, I asked the Distributer and was told its packaged in Delphi XE, Well I should have gone to specsavers......cos I cant see it any where ? Hello Colin, Delphi X...

Delphi 2010
*Upgrading from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010* (as of February 1, 2010) I bought a new computer in December and decided to upgrade from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010. Here are some lessons learned related to the Delphi upgrade, which I hope will make a similar transition easier for others. I still have an insurmountable problem with the speed of the IDE (#13 below). As background, my old system had 3 GB of RAM, 40GB of unused disk, a 3.8 GHz CPU, and ran under Windows XP. My new system has 12 GB of RAM, 770GB of unused disk, a quad core 2.67 GHz CPU, and runs under Win7 Home Edition. ...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

DBExpress terrible performance when migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Hi, When I'm migrating my project from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007, I found that the speed slow down 3-4 times. I've started to investigate what is the reason of that and I've found that the problem is in the TSQLDataset component. So I make a simple example of an application that run one of my problem queries that fetches about 30000 rows and the result was amazing d7: 1500ms, d2007: 13500ms 8 times slower !!!! Here are some perameters of the TSQLConnection Delphi 7: object SQLConn: TSQLConnection ConnectionName = 'OracleConnection' DriverName = '...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Migration from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005
Hi, Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005. My question is - 1. Is it possible to migrate directly from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005, my old code was developed using Delphi 5 IDE. Can we able to compile and build without any issue in Delphi 2005? 2. If we can able to do then what are the ways to migrate to Delphi 2005 IDE and also provide some link regarding this migrate? Thanks, Rizwan Rizwan Ahmed schrieb: > Hi, Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source > f...

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

is there a Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Web resources about - What we need to learn as we migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2012 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

1-800-Flowers Becomes the First Client to Migrate to Facebook’s Revamped Atlas Ad Platform
... platform , which Facebook announced at Advertising Week 2014 in New York at the end of September, has its first client, as 1-800-Flowers migrated ...

Facebook Migrates 400,000 Users to Fans of Apple’s Page
While Facebook has been turning up the marketing on businesses and brand owners to create Facebook Pages, one feature of Pages that is less well ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

'You don't migrate to this country unless you want to join our team': Tony Abbott renews push on national ...
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has elaborated on his "Team Australia" remarks, telling a radio interview that "you don't migrate to this country ...

Tony Abbott's woman problem migrates to his ministry
Tony Abbott is having women trouble. It's nothing he said, mind.

Doctors and Nurses From Poor Countries Migrate To Rich Ones
Australia has saved almost $640 million by poaching doctors from some of the poorest countries in Africa.

Pacific Islanders reject 'climate refugee' status, want to 'migrate with dignity', SIDS conference hears ...
Pacific Islanders who may be forced to flee rising sea levels say they want to be able to migrate with dignity.

Polar bears migrate to Canadian Arctic for longer lasting ice: study
Some polar bear clusters have slowly moved to islands north of Canada's mainland that are retaining the Arctic ice for longer, according to a ...

Apple Music giving former Beats subscribers month grace period to migrate libraries
... all of their content, playlists, music, and preferences will be safe until January 19th, 2016. That means that you have until then to migrate ...

Verizon Explains the Real Reason Geese Migrate
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots , new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv , a company that catalogs, tags ...