What flavour of Delphi would be better for me to migrate to, from Delphi 2009 Architect?

Hello.

I do single development and need access to database tools, so I have
today bought the updated Devarts Unidac for D2009E,
since my previous version was from back in 2010.
Then I thought, why not take the full step, when I'm in the move anyway.
Have read a lot in ng's of slower compiler and about drowning in new
stuff that does Delphi harder to get productive,
with my knowledge level.
I'm now, for me, doing the biggest project ever, so perhaps I should
take the step now, but fear the time consuming consequences.
Perhaps the time needed for the project itself will have to be used to
master the new Delphi.
At the same time I'm afraid of getting outdated during the project.
With the new versions of Database Workbench and Firebird, the 2010
flavour of TUniConnection started
to complain about 'Unsupported metadata kind', thus the today's update.
Perhaps there is more to come in the near future, for my Delphi 2009.
So I'm in a pain here.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Environment:
Win7
Delphi 2009E CodeGear™ RAD Studio 2009  Version 12.0.3420.21218
Copyright © 2009 Embarcadero Technologies, Inc.
madExcept 4.0.9
Character Set: UTF8
Raize components 6.1.2.0
UniDac components, like:
TInterbaseUniProvider->TUniConnection->TUniQuery->TDataSource->DBGrid.
Firebird 2.5.0.26074
Database Workbench 5 pro

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai

Kai,

I would suggest going with RAD Studio Pro XE7.

Also Use NexusDB for your database DBMS!!!!!!!

1.19.1.372  (Q's Broken Toolbar.)
0
Quentin
2/26/2015 8:53:52 PM
Am 27.02.2015 um 11:10 schrieb Marcin Bury:
> Kai
>
> Upgrading Delphi (or RAD Studio) to current one might be a good option, as Quentin suggested.
> But I would definitely recommend using Firebird if you are familiar with... only upgrading it to 2.5.3 and 3.x in the future.
>
> M.

Hello,

I've just read about a new EMBT promo: if you buy XE7 now you'll get XE8
for free when it comes out.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
2/27/2015 1:01:01 AM
Kai

Upgrading Delphi (or RAD Studio) to current one might be a good option, as Quentin suggested.
But I would definitely recommend using Firebird if you are familiar with... only upgrading it to 2.5.3 and 3.x in the future.

M.
0
Marcin
2/27/2015 10:10:47 AM
I did not face any problem until now. Since XE4 Delphi works pretty well. XE6 and Update 1 works in my case but the translation environment is broken and that's fixed with XE 7. So you have either slow floating point in XE6 no update or no translation environment in XE6 Update 1. iirc. That does not hurt me personally. I like XE 6 most but XE7 is a patched XE6.

You can definitely use XE, XE4, XE5 and XE7.

In XE4 and XE5 the remote debugger had some issues with tool tip evaluation but those are gone. The first improvement did come with XE4 - the IDE survived that kind of problem and in XE6 the problem was gone. But I do no longer test that way. There have been some tiny glitches every now and then. More or less since XE5 they are gone more or less better said more than less. The moment you started working on Win64 those problems didn't hurt anyway.

I run various configurations since I don't touch a configuration for years. I still work with XE4 in a configuration you described on my oldest laptop together with a naked XE Enterprise for several 'sever side stuff' and all the good things from the repositories but no components installed.. Productive work too in XE6 and XE7. Somehow similar to the configuration you described.

I guess using XE7 definitely does make sense but I don't compile millions of code lines. I tried the Enterprise version of XE > 0 too. For me Delphi is still a very good choice.

--
Delphi Programming is fun. Hilarious.
0

--
Delphi Programming is fun. Hilarious.
0
Michael
2/27/2015 4:51:00 PM

--
Delphi Programming is fun. Hilarious.
0
Michael
2/27/2015 4:52:21 PM
Sorry for the mulitple replies - the forums web interface did not indicate that the reply was published and remained in edit mode. Again sorry for that.

> {quote:title=Kai Inge Buseth wrote:}{quote}

--
Delphi Programming is fun. Hilarious.
0
Michael
2/27/2015 4:54:15 PM
"Markus Humm" <markus.humm@freenet.de> wrote in message

> I've just read about a new EMBT promo: if you buy XE7 now you'll get XE8
> for free when it comes out.

online reference of information available (link/url?)?
0
david
2/27/2015 8:47:51 PM
"david hoke" <dhoke.nojunk@east-shore.com> wrote in message
> "Markus Humm" <markus.humm@freenet.de> wrote in message
>>
>> I've just read about a new EMBT promo: if you buy XE7 now you'll get XE8
>> for free when it comes out.
>>

> online reference of information available (link/url?)?

never mind...
http://www.embarcadero.com/radoffer#freeUS
0
david
2/27/2015 8:50:07 PM
> Perhaps the time needed for the project itself will
> have to be used to master the new Delphi.

There's definitely a learning curve, and it does take time, but it's well worth it.

I can't speak to which to choose, but about the process... As far as I know, you have to purchase
whatever is the current version of Delphi, in this case, XE7.  Once you have that registered, you
will have access to licenses and downloads for several older versions.  If XE7 doesn't suit, you
can try those, and see which one fits for you.

See david hoke's post for a link to the current promotion.
This page: http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-offer-eligible#freeUS says upgrades can be done
from any previous version.  These are U.S. pages though (I think you're in Europe?) -- you'll want
to verify that you qualify.

---

Note that S&M has been changed to "Update Subscription".  This isn't just a name change, there
are significant feature changes too. My understanding (per sales rep) is that updates and hotfixes
for the current version will be available *only* with an Update Subscription.

hth,
John

Edited by: John Gray on Feb 28, 2015 9:51 AM
0
John
2/28/2015 5:52:56 PM
On 26.02.2015 21:14, Kai Inge Buseth wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I do single development and need access to database tools, so I have
> today bought the updated Devarts Unidac for D2009E,
> since my previous version was from back in 2010.
> Then I thought, why not take the full step, when I'm in the move anyway.
> Have read a lot in ng's of slower compiler and about drowning in new
> stuff that does Delphi harder to get productive,
> with my knowledge level.
> I'm now, for me, doing the biggest project ever, so perhaps I should
> take the step now, but fear the time consuming consequences.
> Perhaps the time needed for the project itself will have to be used to
> master the new Delphi.
> At the same time I'm afraid of getting outdated during the project.
> With the new versions of Database Workbench and Firebird, the 2010
> flavour of TUniConnection started
> to complain about 'Unsupported metadata kind', thus the today's update.
> Perhaps there is more to come in the near future, for my Delphi 2009.
> So I'm in a pain here.
>
> Any advice?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Environment:
> Win7
> Delphi 2009E CodeGear™ RAD Studio 2009  Version 12.0.3420.21218
> Copyright © 2009 Embarcadero Technologies, Inc.
> madExcept 4.0.9
> Character Set: UTF8
> Raize components 6.1.2.0
> UniDac components, like:
> TInterbaseUniProvider->TUniConnection->TUniQuery->TDataSource->DBGrid.
> Firebird 2.5.0.26074
> Database Workbench 5 pro
>

> :)
> Kai Inge

I don't have much experience with products I don't use :-) - so this is
just what I do use:
   Delphi XE7 Pro (moving up from XE2)
   Firebird 2.5.3 (and other 2.5.x versions)
   IBObjects
Since you are using Raize and UniDac it might be a good idea to continue
using stuff you already are familiar with (if you like them!).
I don't use the fancy UI components on the market, so the ones provided
with IBObjects have served me well (and I can almost always use the
slightly more advanced components rather than the TDataset compatible ones).
In place of DBW I just use IB_SQL (from IBObjects) and a text editor,
and sometimes FlameRobin.  These are all free, but I expect DBW to be
more advanced in most/all respects.
I've used earlier version of the products for many years: Delphi from
1995 and IBO and Firebird from about 1998 (IIRC).

--
Aage J.
0

Now I have got something to think about.
I have to decide before the end of March it seems.

Another matter; my XanaNews has a lot of trouble with error 61 socket
connection refused.
Is it just me or does others bother with this?

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
3/1/2015 10:35:45 PM
Kai Inge Buseth wrote:

> Thank you all for answering.
>
> Now I have got something to think about.
> I have to decide before the end of March it seems.
>
> Another matter; my XanaNews has a lot of trouble with error 61 socket
> connection refused.
> Is it just me or does others bother with this?
>
> :)
> Kai Inge

Everybody I know!  (Includes me, myself and I.)

--
Tredmill
0
<Michael Thuma> escribió en el mensaje news:715771@forums.embarcadero.com...
>I did not face any problem until now .... XE6 and Update 1 works in my case but the translation
>environment is broken and that's fixed with XE 7. So you have either slow floating point in XE6 no
>update or no translation environment in XE6 Update 1. iirc.

I am in the final stages of migrating my three applications to XE6, having paid for all the updated
component sets, EurekaLog, etc etc., changed over from XP to Windows, migrated the databases, etc. A
lot of work. Really a lot, and have had to do it in fits and spurts to fit into the evolution of the
three applications.

Your post seems to imply that I will not be able to translate my base applications to other
languages. Is that correct ??

If this is so, EMBT will hear from me. Product NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Could you please elaborate on how the translation environment is broken ??

Thanks in advance,

JF
0
Jim
3/2/2015 4:14:00 PM
Am 01.03.2015 um 23:35 schrieb Kai Inge Buseth:
> Thank you all for answering.
>
> Now I have got something to think about.
> I have to decide before the end of March it seems.
>
> Another matter; my XanaNews has a lot of trouble with error 61 socket
> connection refused.
> Is it just me or does others bother with this?
>
> :)
> Kai Inge

YXep, forums are quite unstable currently, but I heared that EMBT
already took meassures to imprive that but I fear they will take further
time until that can be rolled out.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
3/2/2015 7:20:40 PM
John Gray wrote:

> > Perhaps the time needed for the project itself will
> > have to be used to master the new Delphi.
>
> There's definitely a learning curve, and it does take time, but it's
> well worth it.
> I can't speak to which to choose, but about the process... As far as
> I know, you have to purchase whatever is the current version of
> Delphi, in this case, XE7.  Once you have that registered, you will
> have access to licenses and downloads for several older versions.
> You can try those, and see which one fits for you.
> See david hoke's post for a link to the current promotion.
> This page: http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-offer-eligible#freeUS says
> upgrades can be done from any previous version.  These are U.S. pages
> though (I think you're in Europe?) -- you'll want to verify that you
> qualify.
> ---
>
> Note that S&M has been changed to "Update Subscription".  This isn't
> just a name change, there are significant feature changes too. My
> understanding (per sales rep) is that updates and hotfixes for the
> current version will be available only with an Update Subscription.
>
> hth,
> John

Hello again

and thank you for answering me.
I have been away and working with other things for a while.
Yesterday I just decided to do the jump to get upgraded.

Then I did a terrible mistake, misleaded by the text on the top of
their site
and picked the wrong link on the site to download XE7 Enterprise .
(I have Delphi 2009 Enterprise, not Architecht, to correct my own
subject line here.)

After downloading I realized that this was for XE3 and above and then
saw that only the bottom link was for earlier versions.
I imediately contacted the sales and they had a automatic response that
they will come back to me 'Shortly', but I'm not sure what shortly
means in this case and the offer is only until march 31.
Now I'm lost in how to correct this error and don't know what more to
do.
It's too much money to let go down the drain.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai
3/20/2015 3:37:10 AM
Kai Inge Buseth wrote:

> Now I'm lost in how to correct this error and don't know what more to
> do.
> It's too much money to let go down the drain.

Have you tried contacting Embarcadero directly by phone?

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
Bruce McGee wrote:

> Kai Inge Buseth wrote:
>
> > Now I'm lost in how to correct this error and don't know what more
> > to do.
> > It's too much money to let go down the drain.
>
> Have you tried contacting Embarcadero directly by phone?

Some hours ago I found a site where to contact them by mail.
Then I got contacted by a firm in Norway, who will help me
on monday.
So now I'm relieved. It was a pain waiting when I did such an error
and then saw the line of policy: No return.
In fact I saw my money lost in a product that I could not use. :-)

When I calmed down, I also saw that the flavour XE 7 Enterprise also
had the very small text 'older Delphi versions'.
So on monday I will find out why the linsence number was only for XE 3
and above.
Perhaps it was the right link after all and they have some way to
accept D2009E until the end of March.
Until monday I'm just confused.

Thanks anyway.

:)
Kai Inge
0
Kai

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 migration
Hello, for migrating a Delphi 7 application to Delphi 2009, I wonder if there is some kind of best practices guide available? For example, general pitfalls to watch out, ... or a tool which analyse the current code base in respect to problems with Delphi 2009. Basically it is a BDE based application accessing a MSSQL database. The only third-party component in use is an ActiveX thingy integrating a reporting engine. Thanks, Thomas At CodeRage 2008 session there is this Migrating your Applications to the Latest Delphi Many developers use Delphi 5, 6, 7, 2005, 2006 ...

Problems
Hi; We have a software developed in the Delphi 2009 and we do NOT use the runtime themes. So, the option: Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED. When I'm on the Delphi 2009, it's all right. The problem is when I use the Delphi 2010. The same configuration (Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED). The form editor (IDE) insists on show the forms with the current Windows theme. I don't like this, I want the runtime themes off while I'm programming and editing my forms. How can I solve it? Thanks to...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Ways to prove Delphi is better than Delphi?!?!?!?
The subject sounds interesting isn't it? I read an article on PHP with similar title. Reading the title sparked my interest! I thought something like this should also exist for Delphi. Here is the original PHP article link: http://tinyurl.com/blbky43 Hope someone will compile such a list of existing Delphi code. I like the "Evolving the language without Waiting for New Versions" point... I have played with some ideas to do that in Delphi. 1- The latest one was "array of vars" (like array of const but to modify the values) I posted the source code...

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

is there a Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Migration from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005
Hi, Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005. My question is - 1. Is it possible to migrate directly from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005, my old code was developed using Delphi 5 IDE. Can we able to compile and build without any issue in Delphi 2005? 2. If we can able to do then what are the ways to migrate to Delphi 2005 IDE and also provide some link regarding this migrate? Thanks, Rizwan Rizwan Ahmed schrieb: > Hi, Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source > f...

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

Web resources about - What flavour of Delphi would be better for me to migrate to, from Delphi 2009 Architect? - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Architect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An architect is a person who plans, designs, and oversees the construction of buildings . To practice architecture means to provide services ...

Architect - Wikipedia
An architect is a person trained and licensed to plan, design, and oversee the construction of buildings. To practice architecture means to provide ...

ObamaCare architect Ezekiel Emanuel says Australia heading for health showdown
ObamaCare architect Ezekiel Emanuel says Australia's health system is heading for a showdown.

Manhunt continues after Paris attacks architect killed
Search is on for French suspect Salah Abdeslam after key planner killed in operation.

CEO: Chief Brand Architect And Advocate
While the marketing department should have the skill sets necessary to create the brand’s identity, communicate its promise, increase its awareness ...

Blind architect drafts different blueprint for success
California architect Chris Downey lost his sight after having surgery to remove a tumor, but he hasn't lost his "vision"

Aziz Ansari on stereotypes: ‘Why can’t there be a Pradeep who’s an architect?’
... Indian guys are often typecast as convenience store owners and spiritual gurus. “ Why can’t there be a Pradeep just once who’s like an architect ...

Architect Jeanne Gang's vision expands from the skyscraper to the police station
... 10th Police District on the West Side might be the last place you'd expect to command the attention of the ever-more-prominent Chicago architect ...

Obamacare architect: Cut costs
Ezekiel Emanuel, a former health policy advisor, tells CNBC the plans offered on exchanges need to be more affordable.

Gene Amdahl, IBM mainframe architect then a rival, has died
Gene M. Amdahl, chief architect of IBM's System/360 mainframe and later the creator of the IBM plug-compatible mainframe vendor that bore his ...