using Indy to send a email with SSL

Hello -

I have been using a very simple procedure shown here written with Delphi 2010 to send emails to selected recipients using the Indy components which shipped with my D2010.  I am using hMailServer and the procedure works very well as written.  I have now decided to install a SSL certificate in hMail for encryption purposes and have gone through the certificate installation process and I have attached it to my mail ports.  When I run the procedure now the application locks up.  I can turn the problem on and
off just by attaching or detaching the SSL certificate on my SMTP port in hMail.  I've tried various settings as I imagine there are some component properties which need modified in the IdSMTP or IdMessage components, and maybe some minor code alterations as well.  Thus far my fiddling has been unsuccessful.  If someone sees what I am missing, please sing out.  Thanks very much.   Mark

{code}

procedure SendEmail;

begin

  Form1.IdMessage1.Clear;
  Form1.IdSMTP1.AuthType := satDefault;
  Form1.IdSMTP1.Username := 'me@mydomain.com'; //AccountName;
  Form1.IdSMTP1.Password := 'abcdefgh'; //EMPassword;
  Form1.IdSMTP1.Host := 'mail.mydomain.com';
  Form1.IdSMTP1.Port := 25;

  Form1.IdMessage1.From.Address := 'me@mydomain.com';
  Form1.IdMessage1.Recipients.EMailAddresses := 'you@yourdomain.com';
  Form1.IdMessage1.Subject := 'An interesting subject';
  Form1.IdMessage1.Body.Text := 'boorish drivel';

   try
     Form1.IdSMTP1.Connect;//(1000);
     Form1.IdSMTP1.Authenticate;
     Form1.IdSMTP1.Send(Form1.IdMessage1); //MailMessage
   finally
    if Form1.IdSMTP1.Connected then
      Form1.IdSMTP1.Disconnect;
    end;

end;
{code}
2
Mark

Mark wrote:

> When I run the procedure now the application locks up.

If you have not already done so, you need to:

1) assign an SSL IOHandler component, such as TIdSSLIOHandlerOpenSSL, to
the TIdSMTP.IOHandler property, and configure it as needed (set the IOHandler.Method
or IOHandler.SSLVersion property, at a mimimum).

2) set the TIdSMTP.UseTLS property to either utUseImplicitTLS or utUseExplicitTLS,
depending on whether your SMTP server expects an SSL/TLS encryption handshake
immediately upon connecting before any other data is exchanged (Implicit)
or if it allows the client to connect unencrypted and send a STARTTLS command
when it is ready to enable encryption (Explicit).

3) set the TIdSMTP.Port property to the server's SSL/TLS port (if the UseTLS
property did not already set it to the correct value for you).  Implicit
SSL uses port 465, whereas explicit TLS is typically done on port 587 but
may also be supported on port 25.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Mark

> Mark wrote:
>
> > When I run the procedure now the application locks up.
>
> If you have not already done so, you need to:
>
> 1) assign an SSL IOHandler component, such as TIdSSLIOHandlerOpenSSL, to
> the TIdSMTP.IOHandler property, and configure it as needed (set the IOHandler.Method
> or IOHandler.SSLVersion property, at a mimimum).
>
> 2) set the TIdSMTP.UseTLS property to either utUseImplicitTLS or utUseExplicitTLS,
> depending on whether your SMTP server expects an SSL/TLS encryption handshake
> immediately upon connecting before any other data is exchanged (Implicit)
> or if it allows the client to connect unencrypted and send a STARTTLS command
> when it is ready to enable encryption (Explicit).
>
> 3) set the TIdSMTP.Port property to the server's SSL/TLS port (if the UseTLS
> property did not already set it to the correct value for you).  Implicit
> SSL uses port 465, whereas explicit TLS is typically done on port 587 but
> may also be supported on port 25.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Mark
8/10/2012 6:30:25 PM
Jumping in with both feet I have attempted to follow the guidance issued below (though I used TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL because I didn't see the TIdSSLIOHandlerOpenSSL as an available component).  I used many combinations of setup parameters for the Delphi code and the hMailServer settings, and while the program no longer locks up, I have not had success (as in receiving a test email).  In my search for information on hMailServer settings, I've come across information which leads me to believe I am not
 really following the best path for what I wish to accomplish.  I'll briefly reiterate my situation.

Using Delphi 2010 and Indy components I have created a simple send mail only (not necessary to have receive capability) email client to operate from within my application.  The client has always worked very well, and I call the sendmail procedure from my application, providing the appropriate recipient address to the procedure.  The recipients are located throughout the country and have typical email clients or have their company email addresses. I currently am not encrypting the contents of the message,
and that is all I wish to do, just in case there is some personal information contained therein.  I only need a process to send a few emails per day, not receive, and my intent is to encrypt the contents during transmission. It occurs to me that the use of SSL may not be the answer.

If anyone can suggest an easy and effective method of encrypting simple 3 or 4 sentence messages, and then sending them to various email addresses through my Delphi application, please let me know.  Thank you.  Mark

> Mark wrote:
>
> > When I run the procedure now the application locks up.
>
> If you have not already done so, you need to:
>
> 1) assign an SSL IOHandler component, such as TIdSSLIOHandlerOpenSSL, to
> the TIdSMTP.IOHandler property, and configure it as needed (set the IOHandler.Method
> or IOHandler.SSLVersion property, at a mimimum).
>
> 2) set the TIdSMTP.UseTLS property to either utUseImplicitTLS or utUseExplicitTLS,
> depending on whether your SMTP server expects an SSL/TLS encryption handshake
> immediately upon connecting before any other data is exchanged (Implicit)
> or if it allows the client to connect unencrypted and send a STARTTLS command
> when it is ready to enable encryption (Explicit).
>
> 3) set the TIdSMTP.Port property to the server's SSL/TLS port (if the UseTLS
> property did not already set it to the correct value for you).  Implicit
> SSL uses port 465, whereas explicit TLS is typically done on port 587 but
> may also be supported on port 25.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Mark
8/12/2012 4:05:48 PM
Mark Naples wrote:

>  It occurs to me that the use of SSL may not be the answer.

But SSL is exactly the answer (without resorting to manual
encryption/decryption of the email - meaning that the recipient will
need to run a program to decrypt the encrypted message).

Following is sample code that I use to send email via SSL in my
application (Using Delphi XE2, Latest version of Indy from daily
download site, Latest version of SSL Dlls ie
openssl-1.0.1c-i386-win32.zip):

[CODE]

unit Unit1;

interface

uses
  Winapi.Windows, Winapi.Messages, System.SysUtils, System.Variants,
  System.Classes, Vcl.Graphics,
  Vcl.Controls, Vcl.Forms, Vcl.Dialogs, IDMessage, IDSmtp, IdSSLOpenSSL,
  IdExplicitTLSClientServerBase, IDMessageBuilder, IdAntiFreezeBase,
  Vcl.StdCtrls;

type
  TForm1 = class(TForm)
    Button1: TButton;
  private
    { Private declarations }
  public
    { Public declarations }
    procedure SendEMail;
  end;

var
  Form1: TForm1;

implementation

{$R *.dfm}

begin
  SendEMail;
end;

procedure TForm1.SendEMail;
var
  IDSMTP1: TIDSmtp;
  IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1: TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL;
  IDMessage1: TIDMessage;
  idMBHTML: TIdMessageBuilderHTML;
  stream: TMemoryStream;
  mesg: String;
  enc: TEncoding;
begin
  IDSMTP1 := TIDSmtp.Create;
  IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1 := TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL.Create;
  idMBHTML := TIdMessageBuilderHTML.Create;
  IDMessage1 := TIDMessage.Create;
  stream := TMemoryStream.Create;
  try
    with IDSMTP1 do
    begin
      Host := 'smtp.gmail.com';
      Port := 465;
      AuthType := satDefault;
      IOHandler := IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1;
      UseTLS := utUseImplicitTLS;

      Username := 'gfandango@gmail.com';
      Password := 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxyz';
    end;

    mesg := 'The <u>Delphi Indy VCL component suite</u> is the
<b>best!</b>';
    stream.Write(mesg[1], Length(mesg) * SizeOf(Char));

    enc := nil;
    TEncoding.GetBufferEncoding(BytesOf(mesg), enc);

    with idMBHTML do
    begin
      stream.Position := 0;
      // HTML.LoadFromStream(stream, enc);
      PlainText.LoadFromStream(stream, enc);
      // Attachments.Add('FileName here');

      FillMessage(IDMessage1);
    end;

    with IDMessage1 do
    begin
      Subject := 'Test email';
      From.Address := 'gfandango@gmail.com';
      From.Name := 'Grim Fandango';
      Recipients.EMailAddresses := 'steve_goa@yahoo.com';
      // ReceiptRecipient.Address := '';
      // ReceiptRecipient.Name := '';
    end;

    with IDSMTP1 do
    begin
      if not Connected then
        Connect;
      Send(IDMessage1);
    end;

  finally
    stream.Free;
    IDMessage1.Free;
    idMBHTML.Free;
    IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1.Free;
    IDSMTP1.Free;
  end;

  ShowMessage('Email sent.');

end;

end.

[/CODE]

Please note that there is still something wrong with this code. In the
email that is received, I see only the first character of the message
ie 'T'. I'd appreciate if Remy would be so kind as to point out what is
wrong and how it can be fixed. TIA.

--
Steve Faleiro
0
Mark wrote:

> Jumping in with both feet I have attempted to follow the guidance issued
below (though
> I used TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL because I didn't see the TIdSSLIOHandlerOpenSSL
> as an available component).

Yes, that is the correct component, sorry.

> I used many combinations of setup parameters for the Delphi code and the
hMailServer settings

What EXACTLY did you try?

> while the program no longer locks up, I have not had success (as in receiving
a test email).

You are able to call TIdSMTP.Send() without problem and TIdSMTP is not raising
any exceptions then the emails are being sent correctly and it is the SMTP
server's responsibility to deliver the messages to the recipients.  If the
messages are not arriving in their inboxes then the SMTP server, not your
app, is having delivery problems (bad recipients, fulll inboxes, network
issues, etc).  Once your app has called TIdSMTP.Send() and it exited without
exception, it is not your app's issue anymore.  Check the original sender's
inbox to see if there are error messages being delivered explaining why your
app's messages could not be delivered to the recipients.  That is how SMTP
reports errors that occur after the initial SMTP transaction is complete.

> In my search for information on hMailServer settings, I've come across
information which leads
> me to believe I am not really following the best path for what I wish to
accomplish.

What EXACTLY did you read?

> I only need a process to send a few emails per day, not receive, and my
intent
> is to encrypt the contents during transmission. It occurs to me that the
use
> of SSL may not be the answer.

The only other option besides SSL is to encrypt the actual email contents
itself before sending it to an SMTP server.  Indy does not support that option
at this time, so you will have to encrypt the email yourself.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Steve wrote:

> But SSL is exactly the answer (without resorting to manual
> encryption/decryption of the email - meaning that the recipient will
> need to run a program to decrypt the encrypted message).

Yes exactly.  SSL will encrypt the communication between your app and the
receiving SMTP server, but the email itself will not be encrypted.  If you
need that, that is completely separate from SMTP.

> Please note that there is still something wrong with this code. In the
> email that is received, I see only the first character of the message
> ie 'T'. I'd appreciate if Remy would be so kind as to point out what
> is wrong and how it can be fixed.

There are several problems with your code.

You are using TEncoding when you should not be at all, and you are using
it wrong anyway.  Your use of TEncoding.GetBufferEncoding() will return TEncoding.Default
because mesg is a UTF-16 encoded UnicodeString that does not have a UTF-16
BOM in front of its data.

When you call PlainText.LoadFromStream(), you are passing it TEncoding.Default
from TEncoding.GetBufferEncoding(), so it will interpret the stream contents
incorrectly.  You should be using TEncoding.Unicode instead since the stream
contents are UTF-16 encoded.

The correct thing to do is get rid of the use of the TMemoryStream and TEncoding
completely, and let Indy handle encoding the data for you, by setting the
MessageBuilder's PlainText/HTML and PlainTextCharSet/HTMLTextCharSet properties
as needed, which will then set the TIdMessage's CharSet properties accordingly.

For example:

{code}
procedure TForm1.SendEMail;
var
  IdSMTP1: TIdSmtp;
  IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1: TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL;
  IdMessage1: TIDMessage;
  IdMBHTML: TIdMessageBuilderHTML;
  mesg: String;
begin
  IdSMTP1 := TIdSMTP.Create;
  IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1 := TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL.Create(IdSMTP1);
  IdMessage1 := TIdMessage.Create;
  try

    IdMBHTML := TIdMessageBuilderHTML.Create;
    try
      with idMBHTML do
      begin
        // UTF-8 is more accepted on all platforms
        // let Indy convert the UTF-16 input data to UTF-8 for you...
        HTML.Text := mesg;
        HtmlCharSet := 'utf-8';
        // Attachments.Add('FileName here');
        FillMessage(IdMessage1);
      end;
    finally
      IdMBHTML.Free;
    end;

    with IdMessage1 do
    begin
      From.Address := 'gfandango@gmail.com';
      From.Name := 'Grim Fandango';
      Recipients.EMailAddresses := 'steve_goa@yahoo.com';
      // ReceiptRecipient.Address := '';
      // ReceiptRecipient.Name := '';
    end;

    with IdSMTP1 do
    begin
      Host := 'smtp.gmail.com';
      Port := 465;
      AuthType := satDefault;
      IOHandler := IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1;
      UseTLS := utUseImplicitTLS;
      Username := 'gfandango@gmail.com';
      Password := 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxyz';

      Connect;
      try
        Send(IdMessage1);
      finally
        Disconnect;
      end;
    end;
  finally
    IdMessage1.Free;
    IdSMTP1.Free;
  end;

  ShowMessage('Email sent.');
end;
{code}

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

> [...]
>     end;
>
>     with IDSMTP1 do
>     begin
>       if not Connected then
>         Connect;
>       Send(IDMessage1);
>     end;
>
>   finally
>     stream.Free;
>     IDMessage1.Free;
>     idMBHTML.Free;
>     IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1.Free;
>     IDSMTP1.Free;
>   end;
>
>   ShowMessage('Email sent.');
>
> end;
>
> end.
>
> [/CODE]
>

> Please note that there is still something wrong with this code. In the
> email that is received, I see only the first character of the message
> ie 'T'. I'd appreciate if Remy would be so kind as to point out what is

0
Mark
8/13/2012 1:47:21 AM
Using your guidance from above I successfully transmitted emails from my application using the gmail host rather than hMailServer.  This will be my baseline process until such time as I successfully get the hMailServer working.  My sincere thanks.

You wrote above: "SSL will encrypt the communication between your app and the receiving SMTP server, but the email itself will not be encrypted."  I take that to mean that the contents of the message can not be seen anywhere along the transmission path from the time it is created by my application until the message arrives at the recipients mail server. This being the case, the weak link in the entire process comes down to any security shortcomings associated with the SMTP server of the recipient. If this
 is not an accurate description of the process feel free to set me straight.  Many thanks again.

Mark

> Mark wrote:
>
> > Jumping in with both feet I have attempted to follow the guidance issued
> below (though
> > I used TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL because I didn't see the TIdSSLIOHandlerOpenSSL
> > as an available component).
>
> Yes, that is the correct component, sorry.
>
> > I used many combinations of setup parameters for the Delphi code and the
> hMailServer settings
>
> What EXACTLY did you try?
>
> > while the program no longer locks up, I have not had success (as in receiving
> a test email).
>
> You are able to call TIdSMTP.Send() without problem and TIdSMTP is not raising
> any exceptions then the emails are being sent correctly and it is the SMTP
> server's responsibility to deliver the messages to the recipients.  If the
> messages are not arriving in their inboxes then the SMTP server, not your
> app, is having delivery problems (bad recipients, fulll inboxes, network
> issues, etc).  Once your app has called TIdSMTP.Send() and it exited without
> exception, it is not your app's issue anymore.  Check the original sender's
> inbox to see if there are error messages being delivered explaining why your
> app's messages could not be delivered to the recipients.  That is how SMTP
> reports errors that occur after the initial SMTP transaction is complete.
>
> > In my search for information on hMailServer settings, I've come across
> information which leads
> > me to believe I am not really following the best path for what I wish to
> accomplish.
>
> What EXACTLY did you read?
>
> > I only need a process to send a few emails per day, not receive, and my
> intent
> > is to encrypt the contents during transmission. It occurs to me that the
> use
> > of SSL may not be the answer.
>
> The only other option besides SSL is to encrypt the actual email contents
> itself before sending it to an SMTP server.  Indy does not support that option
> at this time, so you will have to encrypt the email yourself.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Mark
8/13/2012 6:21:21 PM
Mark wrote:

> Thanks much for your reply.   If I use gmail as the host do I need to
> establish a gmail account corresponding to the username shown in the
> code?

If you want to send out emails using Gmail as the sending server, then yes.
 But you can send emails to Gmail recipients without having your own Gmail
account.

You could alternatively use TIdSMTPRelay instead of TIdSMTP.  That would
make your app act like its own pseudo SMTP sending server.  It would connect
directly to recipients' receiving SMTP servers, bypassing any intermediate
SMTP servers.  The only requirement would be that you have to provide it
with the IP/Host of a DNS server for it to use for its queries.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Mark wrote:

> You wrote above: "SSL will encrypt the communication between your
> app and the receiving SMTP server, but the email itself will not be
> encrypted."  I take that to mean that the contents of the message
> can not be seen anywhere along the transmission path from the time
> it is created by my application until the message arrives at the recipients
> mail server.

No.  Only along the path between your app and the first SMTP server that
your app is directly connected to.  Once that SMTP server has the email,
it may pass it along to another SMTP server, and another, as needed until
the email eventually reaches the recipient.  Each of those connections is
outside of your app's control, and may or may not be SSL encrypted on their
end.  If you want to ensure the privacy of the email along all transmission
paths, you will have to encrypt the contents before giving it to the first
server, and the recipient will have to decrypt it.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Mark

> Mark wrote:
>
> > You wrote above: "SSL will encrypt the communication between your
> > app and the receiving SMTP server, but the email itself will not be
> > encrypted."  I take that to mean that the contents of the message
> > can not be seen anywhere along the transmission path from the time
> > it is created by my application until the message arrives at the recipients
> > mail server.
>
> No.  Only along the path between your app and the first SMTP server that
> your app is directly connected to.  Once that SMTP server has the email,
> it may pass it along to another SMTP server, and another, as needed until
> the email eventually reaches the recipient.  Each of those connections is
> outside of your app's control, and may or may not be SSL encrypted on their
> end.  If you want to ensure the privacy of the email along all transmission
> paths, you will have to encrypt the contents before giving it to the first
> server, and the recipient will have to decrypt it.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Mark
8/13/2012 8:20:37 PM
Mark wrote:

> I understand.  Given this information, is it worthwhile setting up the
> SSL for the purpose of ensuring privacy if it is a sure thing only on
> the first part of the journey?

That is really up to you to decide based on your needs.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
On 2012-08-13 16:20:37 -0400, Mark Naples <> said:

> I understand.  Given this information, is it worthwhile setting up the
> SSL for the purpose of ensuring privacy if it is a sure thing only on
> the first part of the journey?

The important privacy that the SSL connection gives you is the
protection of your SMTP logon credentials (user id and password), which
are often the same as your POP/IMAP credentials, so they are worth
protecting.

Also, don't undervalue the privacy given by SSL between your mail
client and the SMTP server.  Just run a traceroute to your SMTP server
address and see how many servers your mail will pass through.  Though
the SSL connection will not secure your message beyond that point,
every little bit helps, IMO.

Of course, if the ultimate goal is to protect the contents of the
e-mail from everyone other than the intended recipient, you will, as
has been indicated, need to encrypt that email in a way that the
recipient will be able to decrypt it.

I suggest using a known encryption library with plug-ins available for
popular email clients so that you don't have to write something
yourself for the recipients. Something based on PGP, such as OpenPGP,
is probably a good bet.

--
Kevin Powick
0
Kevin wrote:

> The important privacy that the SSL connection gives you is the
> protection of your SMTP logon credentials (user id and password),
> which are often the same as your POP/IMAP credentials, so they are
> worth protecting.

Very true.  But even without SSL, credentials can still be protected via
SASL if the server supports that (which most do), and that does not require
SSL.  SSL encrypts the connection itself.  SASL hashes/encrypts just the
credentials regardless of whether the connection is encrypted.

> Also, don't undervalue the privacy given by SSL between your mail
> client and the SMTP server.  Just run a traceroute to your SMTP
> server address and see how many servers your mail will pass through.

A traceroute will only show you how many servers a connection might pass
through to reach that particular SMTP server (a different route might be
used when establishing the real SMTP connection).  Once that SMTP server
has the email, the email may have to hop through even more servers when it
is delivered to recipients.  Traceroute will not show that leg of the journey.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
On 2012-08-13 22:03:21 -0400, Remy Lebeau (TeamB) <no.spam@no.spam.com> said:

> A traceroute will only show you how many servers a connection might pass
> through to reach that particular SMTP server (a different route might be
> used when establishing the real SMTP connection).

True.  I wasn't focusing on the specifics of internet communication;
just trying to show that a connection from client to SMTP server was
likely to involve many servers along the way.

> Once that SMTP server
> has the email, the email may have to hop through even more servers when it
> is delivered to recipients.
> Traceroute will not show that leg of the journey.

Yes, I believe that the part of my paragraph that you chose not to
quote noted that SSL would not secure the message beyond the point of
the SMTP server.

--
Kevin Powick
0
> [...]
>     end;
>
>     with IDSMTP1 do
>     begin
>       if not Connected then
>         Connect;
>       Send(IDMessage1);
>     end;
>
>   finally
>     stream.Free;
>     IDMessage1.Free;
>     idMBHTML.Free;
>     IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1.Free;
>     IDSMTP1.Free;
>   end;
>
>   ShowMessage('Email sent.');
>
> end;
>
> end.
>
> [/CODE]
>

> Please note that there is still something wrong with this code. In the
> email that is received, I see only the first character of the message
> ie 'T'. I'd appreciate if Remy would be so kind as to point out what is

I keep getting errors when trying to execute this code, first it says can't find SSL library then after I put that in the bin directory it says can't find vsinit.dll finally after I put that in bin it goes back to saying it can't find SSL library.  I have Delphi XE2 professional and can't seem to get this indy email thing to work no matter what.
0
Al
3/28/2013 7:45:07 PM
Al wrote:

> I keep getting errors when trying to execute this code, first it says
> can't find SSL library

The standard OS search path for DLLs applies, unless you call Indy's IdOpenSSLSetLibPath()
function to specify the exact folder that the OpenSSL DLLs reside in.

> then after I put that in the bin directory it says can't find vsinit.dll

Neither Indy nor OpenSSL use that DLL.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
>You could alternatively use TIdSMTPRelay instead of TIdSMTP.  That would
>make your app act like its own pseudo SMTP sending server.  It would connect
>directly to recipients' receiving SMTP servers, bypassing any intermediate
>SMTP servers.  The only requirement would be that you have to provide it
>with the IP/Host of a DNS server for it to use for its queries.

Is there any downside to that?  Any reason why using regular SMTP
server would be better in any common circumstances?
0
Paul
4/3/2013 11:43:49 PM
Paul wrote:

> Is there any downside to that?

Many SMTP servers restrict who can directly connect to them, to reduce spamming.

> Any reason why using regular SMTP server would be better in any common
circumstances?

Legitimate SMTP servers tend to white-list each other, while providing validation
of sending users to block known spammers.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
>Legitimate SMTP servers tend to white-list each other, while providing validation
>of sending users to block known spammers.

Thanks.

This thread probably belongs in the Winsock group.  I tried using the
relay, and it didn't work and I don't think it was because of this
specific issue.  I'll post a separate post in the winsock group.
0
Paul

A problem to send email using Smtp
I have a proble to send an email from asp.net I do the following code to send an email: MailMessage mail=new MailMessage(); mail.From="test@server.com"; mail.To="myemailaddress@server.com"; mail.BodyFormat=MailFormat.Html; mail.Subject="testing..."; mail.Body="cool"; SmtpMail.SmtpServer="localhost"; SmtpMail.Send(mail); But I dont' receive an email when I use this method. Why is that? How can I send an email? Thanks in advance! check and see if.. -your client-side code has no errors -you imported the System.Web.Mail namespace -your email is setup right -your 'localhost' supports smtp.. hope this helps"programming open-source is programming communism." I checked IIS it looks like localhost supports smtp(there is a default smtp server?!). What do you mean I should check if my email is setup right? Any other ideas. Thanks hi , you have to set relay in your smtp server , or your smtp server requires username & password when you are trying to send and emial with .net mail object . do the following : go to access tab of of your smtp server properties on last section there is a relay button , click on it check all expet the list below . (the list must be blank) its done . now check your application , it should work . ps: im using windows xp , in other version of windows , u have to do the same thing . Hi, Tak...

How to send email using Delphi?
In the past, I used Jedi MAPI wrapper, but it won't work in Unicode Delphi where I get "General MAPI failure" " TmpEmail := TjclEmail.Create; TmpResolve := False; try TmpResolve := TmpEmail.ResolveName(TmpStr_Name, TmpStr_Email, True); except // new code for Delphi unicode... Also gives mapi failure end; if TmpResolve then TmpEmail.Recipients.Add(TmpStr_Email) else TmpEmail.Recipients.Add('smtp:' + TmpStr_Email) ; TmpEmail.Recipients[0].Name := TmpEmail.Recipients[0].Address; TmpEmail.Subject := 'bla bla...

Send Email with Indy and SSL [Edit]
I must send a mail with Indy 10.0.1.1 and SSL This is my code: procedure SendEmail; var IdMessage: TIdMessage; SMTP: TIdSMTP; SSLHandler: TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL; IdUserPassProvider: TIdUserPassProvider; IdSASLCRAMMD5: TIdSASLCRAMMD5; IdSASLCRAMSHA1: TIdSASLCRAMSHA1; IdSASLPlain: TIdSASLPlain; IdSASLLogin: TIdSASLLogin; IdSASLSKey: TIdSASLSKey; IdSASLOTP: TIdSASLOTP; IdSASLAnonymous: TIdSASLAnonymous; IdSASLExternal: TIdSASLExternal; begin IdMessage := TIdMessage.Create(nil); try IdMessage.ContentType := 'text/plain'; IdMessage.Charset := 'UTF-8'; IdMessage.Body.Text:='Prova di invio tramite SSL'; IdMessage.Sender.Text := 'giovanellip@gmail.com'; IdMessage.From.Name := 'Paolo Giovanelli'; IdMessage.From.Address := 'giovanellip@gmail.com'; IdMessage.ReplyTo.EMailAddresses := 'giovanellip@gmail.com'; IdMessage.Recipients.EMailAddresses := 'giovanellip@gmail.com'; IdMessage.Subject := 'Prova invio SSL'; IdMessage.Priority := TIdMessagePriority.mpHighest; IdMessage.CCList.EMailAddresses := ''; IdMessage.ReceiptRecipient.Text := ''; IdMessage.BccList.EMailAddresses := ''; SMTP := TIdSMTP.Create(nil); try SSLHandler := TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL.Create(SMTP); SSLHandler.MaxLineAction := maException; SSLHandler.SSLOptions.Method := ...

Indy: Sending E-mails using SSL
I am a newbie to Indy and want to send e-mail notifications from my app. Below is my first shot code. It works with GMail but I want it to works with a resonable subset of existing SMTP-servers. Will I have a chance? I am probably committing several beginners errors, so correct me, please. I am using Delphi XE2, Indy 10.5.8.0 (shipped with Delphi XE2) and openssl-1.0.0d-i386-win32. {code} unit UEmail; interface uses UStrings {My unit: GetLocalComputerName}, Classes, IdBaseComponent, IdComponent, IdTCPConnection, IdTCPClient, IdExplicitTLSClientServerBase, IdMessageClient, IdSMTPBase, IdSMTP, IdMessage, IdSSLOpenSSL, IdGlobal; type TEmailData = class edSMTPServer: string; //GMail: smtp.gmail.com edSMTPPort: integer; //GMail: 465 or 587 edSSLConnection: boolean; //GMail: True edSenderEmail: string; //GMail: you@gmail.com edSMTPUserName: string; //GMail: you@gmail.com edSMTPPassword: string; //GMail: GMail Password edToEmail: string; edCCEmail: string; edSubject: string; edSenderApp: string; edPriority: TIdMessagePriority; edBody: TStringList; constructor Create; destructor Destroy; override; end; procedure SendEmail(ED: TEmailData); implementation constructor TEMailData.Create; begin inherited; edBody := TStringList.Create; end; destructor TEMailData.Destroy; begin edBody.Free; inherited; end; procedure SendEmail(ED: TEmailData); var ...

I can`t send email using Indy [Edit]
I have such a exception: +First chance exception at $7C812AFB. Exception class EIdSMTPReplyError with message 'RCPT first (#5.5.1)+ +'. Process Project1.exe (956)+ I use Indy 10 rev. 3670. C++ Builder 2009. This exception appear on old project, but if I build a new project using Indy there is no problem. I tried to delete all components Indy and add them again to project but nothing changed. How can I change old project to work properly ? IdMessage1->Clear(); IdMessage1->From->Name = "j.ai@ago.pl"; IdMessage1->From->Address = "j.a@ago.pl"; IdMessage1->Recipients->EMailAddresses = "j.a@ago.pl"; IdMessage1->Subject = ""; IdSMTP1->Host = "mail.ago.pl"; IdSMTP1->Password = "00000"; IdSMTP1->Username = "j.a@ago.pl"; IdSMTP1->Port = 25; try { IdSMTP1->Connect(); } catch ( const Exception& ) { ShowMessage("A"); return; } try { if ( IdSMTP1->Connected() ) { IdMessage1->MessageParts->Clear(); TIdAttachment* IdAtt = new TIdAttachmentFile( IdMessage1->MessageParts, "test.txt" ); IdSMTP1->Send( IdMessage1 ); delete IdAtt; IdAtt = NULL; IdSMTP1->Disconnect(); ShowMessage("OK"); } } catch ( const Exception& e ) { ShowMessage("B"); return; } Edited by: Jacek Pawel on Jun 8, 2009 10:13 AM <Jacek Pawe...

unable to send email out using non groupwise account
I seem to have a problem in that I installed Windows XP x64 and can't send out email using a non Groupwise account. When attempting to send out I get mail service not available. (It looks like the MS messaging backend isn't loading for some reason). Any idea's? 64 bit windows is not officially supported. HAve you tried this on another computer? -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee! All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's unless specifically identified as such. Novell does not officially monitor these forums. Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at http://support.novell.com/enhancement "You've got a way to keep me on your side/You give me cause for love that I can't hide/For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide/Because you're mine, I walk the line" Johnny Cash (RIP) "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message news:fAO3f.2545$l%3.965@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... >I seem to have a problem in that I installed Windows XP x64 and can't send >out email using a non Groupwise account. > > When attempting to send out I get mail service not available. (It looks > like the MS messaging backend isn't loading for some reason). >...

Problems sending emails with attachments in Indy SMTP in Delphi 2009
Hi, I'm working with Delphi 2009 fully updated (12.0.3420.21218 with Update Pack 3), and I had the original version of the Indy 10.2.5. All attachments were going with a file name ATT000043.dat, instead of the correct name. I updated to the latest Indy from the Dev Snapshot, and it went to version 10.5.7. However, now the attachment does not appear as an attachment at all, the the message appears as: This is a multi-part message in MIME format --HF2WOHttwwLp1TZg=_wwY6H2qbRC0RDTyU Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline H...

How to enable SSL for smtpclient when use Password Recovery control to send email
 I can send email with secure connection (SSL) in my program;  Web.config: <system.net>  <mailSettings>   <smtp from="fromaddress">    <network host="smtphm.sympatico.ca" password="password" userName="username" />   </smtp>  </mailSettings> </system.net> ----------------------------------     Protected Sub SendEmail()        '!!! UPDATE THIS VALUE TO YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS  &nbs...

"SSL is not available on this server" Exception Sending Emails with Indy
Hi I'm using the Indy (version 10.6.0.5122) TidSMTP component on Delphi XE6 to send emails (see component details below). object SMTP: TIdSMTP OnStatus = SMTPStatus IOHandler = IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1 Host = 'smtp.gmail.com' Password = '***' Port = 587 SASLMechanisms = <> UseTLS = utUseExplicitTLS Username = 'username' Left = 480 Top = 76 end object IdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL1: TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL Destination = 'smtp.gmail.com:587' Host = 'smtp.gmail.com' MaxLineAction = maException Port = 587 DefaultPort = 0 SSLOptions.Mode = sslmUnassigned SSLOptions.VerifyMode = [] SSLOptions.VerifyDepth = 0 Left = 480 Top = 24 end I have the following issue: although it works fine on my computer (Windows 7, on which I have Delphi XE6 installed), I get the following exception on all computers (Windows Server 2012 Foundation, Windows 7) located at a different location when trying to send emails : "SSL is not available on this server" Can anyone help me find out what the problem is exactly? Thanx in advance. Mike wrote: > I have the following issue: although it works fine on my computer > (Windows 7, on which I have Delphi XE6 installed), I get the following > exception on all computers (Windows Server 2012 Foundation, Windows 7) > located at a different location when tryi...

Delphi XE2, Indy 10
Dear folks The following code is supposed to send a text string to a client that is listening on a set port and ip address. The connection works fine. The problem is that nothing seems to be sent. {code} function TFCSelectForm.SendNitroMessage(NitroRequest: String): String; var sStrm: TMemoryStream; begin try sStrm := TMemoryStream.Create; try sStrm.WriteBuffer(Pointer(NitroRequest)^,Length(NitroRequest)); // sStrm shows as () in the debugger IdTCPClient1.IOHandler.Write(sStrm, 0, False); sStrm.Position := 0; finally ...

Creating Email Alias which would send email to select email accounts using HMC 4.0
Hello all,   I was wondering what is the best method of creating a email alias in exchange 2007. I tried using exchange 2007 console, but it seems the only way is to add the smtp address to each user. I did try a group, but it add's the default smtp address which I do not want there, and it complains when I try to remove it. I was wondering if there is a way from provision or exchange console....

Using Email Interface
Hi-- I recently set up a version of Bugzilla for my company (v 3.0.2) and I want to use the email interface so I can submit bugs via email. I know how to format an email in order to do this, but I don't know what email address to send it to. Where do I find this email address/how can I set it up? Thanks rmandal@gmail.com wrote: > Hi-- > > I recently set up a version of Bugzilla for my company (v 3.0.2) and I > want to use the email interface so I can submit bugs via email. I know > how to format an email in order to do this, but I don't know what &g...

Sending email to non-registered email addresses
Hello, I there a way to send email(add to a bug entry's cc list) to email adresses that are not registered in the bugzilla system Under Bugzilla Version 2.18rc3 Thanks -wdj On 4/22/05, Weddie Jackson <weddiedjackson@netscape.net> wrote: > I there a way to send email(add to a bug entry's cc list) to email > adresses that are not registered in the bugzilla system No. -- http://wurblzap.net/ Bugzilla hosting and professional support On 4/22/05, Weddie Jackson <weddiedjackson@netscape.net> wrote: > I there a way to send email(add to a b...

Using ALTAS to Send Email (Email Form)
Hello all. I have yet to find anywhere an example on how one might use the underlying ATLAS API (not the fancy controls that come with it) to send a simple email from a simple webform. Can anyone point one out for me? Or maybe someone has an example tucked away somewhere that they might want to let out ino the public? Thanks,Andrew There is nothing special about sending e-mail with "Atlas". On the client you can use a link with the "mailto:" pseudo protocol, to fire up the default e-mail client. See mailto protocol for more information.On the server you can use the features in the Syste...

Sending HTML Email Using EMAIL::MIME::CreateHTML
------_=_NextPart_001_01C7D5F2.CEEC49EF Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am using the Email::MIME:CreateHTML module to send html formatted emails. It all works fine until I try to change the "To" line to a scalar so that I can mass mail to different individuals. Has anyone used this module in a manner like this before? Thanks, my $email =3D travis_hervey@georgetowncollege.edu; while(<DAT>) { $line =3D TRIM($_); $html =3D $html . $_; if($line eq "</b...

email in asp using CDONTS... cant send email
HELP!!! PLS!! I NEED REPLY NOW!! OR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE PLEASE.... IM DEVELOPING A WEBSITE USING ASP... in DREAM WEAVER... MS ACCESS DATABASE... MY OS IS WINDOWS XP PRO.... I CANT SEND AN EMAIL... I TEST MY WEBSITE USING IIS.. I HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION... CAN I POSSIBLY SEND AN EMAIL?? THERE IS AN ERROR WHEN I TRIED TO TEST SENDING AN EMAIL... IM ONLY USING ASP... NOT ASP .NET  Error Type:Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01AD)ActiveX component can't create object: 'CDONTS.NewMail' WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? HELP PLEASE.... WHAT SHOULD I DO?? WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS.... PLEASE HELP....

Use the email adress in the users profile to send an email
Hi, hope you cn help me. I am using the createuserwizard to create new users. In this template the users are asked for their email adress. All is working fine, but how can I use the email adress the user entered during registration later in a session to send him an email? I thought just "profile.email", but its wrong.   Hope you can help me, Chrissi Hi Chrissi, When you use the CreateUserWizard, you're creating a user through the current membership provider, which is different than Profiles.  To get a user's email, tryDim myUser As System.Web.Security.Mem...

hide email addresses from email after using smtp.send()
hello , I have some kind of subscribe feature , the emails are saved in database so am using a sqldatareader and a loop , inside loop am adding the emails with msg.to.add() , but what is happening that all the emails are being shown ( in the to place) when a subscriber receives an email , but I dont want that , cause the subscriber shall not know email addresses of other subscribers , how to fix this thing ?!? thanks alot place all the recipients on the BCC of the email. this prevents them from seeing the email of other BCC recipients  Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need...

Send a message with a different way that send an email using outlook
Guys I don't know what is happening with me or my outlook express, this is the fouth time that I try to send this post and all are included in the first one, so I had to change the title, I hope this is the last try TIA Osvaldo "Osvaldo Valenzuela" <ovalenzuela@ias-tecnomex.com> wrote in message news:... Sorry if I post my problem again, I noted that I sent it with date of yesterday, this is not my good day, thanks again. "Osvaldo Valenzuela" <ovalenzuela@ias-tecnomex.com> wrote in message news:... Hi all, maybe it sounds very strang...

Non existing email address cancels sending to other email addresses
Hello ppl.. My WebApp sends emails to a series of email addresses without any problem... the problem is that when i send a email to a series of email addresses which contains a non existing email account... the email doesn't go at all.. Do you know what's the problem and what can be the resolution? Thanks in advance Bracoute How are you running the email process? Is it running in multiple threads so that more than 1 is sending at a time? If not, this should take care of that. Perhaps checking the email addresses for validation before allowing them to be entered into the database. Please explain more on the non existing email account, I assume you mean something like name@blah without .com or something screwed up.Chris Paterra are you sending one email to multiple addresses in one shot? or are you sending the same email individually to a list of email addresses ? i.e. is there one email with N number of recipients or N emails each with one recipient ? Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ Hello... Thanks for your replies... I've got one mail that i relay via IIS to many email addresses at one go... that is by putting multiple recipients (each of them followed by a ';')... Does that help? Thanks in advance bracoute My email is relayed to a group of addresses (each seperated by a ;)... But if one of these email addresses doesn't exist,...

Get email address from DB and send email using VB
OK every time I figure something out on my own, there's 10 more things I can't seem to figure out. I feel like a VB moron. Ha. Anyway. Here's what I need to do...1. Retrieve the email addresses from my database table of people whose memberships to my organization has expired in the past month.2. Somehow plug those email addresses into a code to send them a prewritten, preformatted email.I have found an article on how to send an email using VB coding. I just don't know how I would send one email to every person whose membership has expired in the past month. Ideally, I'd like to be able to log into my page and click a button that would send the email to every person. Is this even possible? Here's the article I found if seeing that code helps at all... http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/080801-1.shtmlThanks in advance for any help. Hi,append email ids in one string separated by semi colons and put the string in bcc property. and then send it....may be it worksbut beware if usend these many emails then the receivers email providers may list ur server's IP as spam source so then ur mails will be delivered to junk email folder. Yahoo is most active in these activities.Retrieve all data from database & fill dataset & then loop then email address in to field. however dont forget to sleep the thread for a while or else ur isp will treat u as spammer. also by putting each address indiv. in to will not be treated as spam. Kunal MehtaWeb professionals who ...

How can I send an HTML format email using send mail
Does anyone know how to send an HTML formatted email using sendmail. I can send plain text email OK. If I format the message using HTML the message shows the HTML tags. I can't find any information regarding this on cpan. Are there any other modules that have this capability? Any help is greatly appreciated. Jeff I've sent you a private message with a script. I didn't think it would be appropriate to post that much code to the list. Agustin Rivera Webmaster, Pollstar.com http://www.pollstar.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "jeff" <we...

how to get the correct email format when sending email using sqldatareader
I'm getting the email address from an excel sheet.But i need to send the email to multiple peopleWhen printing the below i geta@a.com;b@b.com;; But i want a@a.com;b@b.com; i don't need the extra semicolon Thanks code below------ while (oledr.Read()) { smail = oledr[0].ToString() + ";" + "<br>";   //smail += oledr[0].ToString() & ";"; //mail.To.Add(smail); //this.Label1.Text = smail; Response.Write(smail); }   If oledr[0].ToString() contains only one email address (and not a few), then you can do it this way:while (oled...

Send email by using email set at google app (URGENT)
Hi there,  Currently I facing a problem to send email out.right now my customer email has been pointed to use google apps, then i trying to send email use it. but i am getting this message for port 587 "The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first." and "The operation has be timed out" for port 467.I have enable the SSL, but I still getting the same result.  Just read this forum post for few possible chances. http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php...

Web resources about - using Indy to send a email with SSL - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Monday Night News: Xena, Todd Palin, Screening Room, T. Rex, Vatican, Male Model Instagram
TELEVISION. Xena and her sidekick Gabrielle are definitely going to be gay in NBC’s reboot of the series that first starred Lucy Lawless. SCREENING ...

Android N Lets Users Adjust Their Display Calibration
If there is one way that handset makers differentiate themselves from the others is through its display. We’re sure you’ve noticed why some displays ...

Hoop Dreams: TBS Preps for Cable TV's First March Madness Title
For the first time in the 78-year history of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament, a cable network, TBS, this year will carry the ...

Dehradun: BJP MLA attacks police horse with lathi, breaks its leg
The assault took place during a BJP protest against the Harish Rawat government in Uttarakhand.

Remains of the Day: Skype for Web Can Now Call Mobile Phones and Landlines
Happy Pi Day. Skype for Web has been updated with more functionality of the desktop app, Microsoft Outlook for iOS has some new security features, ...

Muhammad Jamal Amin: American ISIS Fighter Reportedly Captured In Iraq
Muhammad Jamal Amin, an American who left the U.S. and tried to join up with ISIS, has been captured by Kurdish forces as the would-be jihadist ...

Putin Withdraws Troops: Russian Forces Start Pullout From Syria On March 15
Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Monday that he is ordering the withdrawal of the majority of Russian troops from Syria, stating that ...

The Walking Dead Recap: Negan's Angels
by Wm. Steven Humphrey Hey! Did you catch last night's lady-centric edition of The Walking Dead ? Second question: Would you like to chitty-chat ...

Kalamazoo shooting suspect says he was being controlled by the Uber app
A man charged with killing six people in a series of shootings in southwestern Michigan interspersed with stints as an Uber driver told investigators ...

Watch the first trailer for ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ season 2
This year has already been incredibly busy for Netflix , with both new and returning shows hitting the streaming service nearly every week. But ...