To use or not to use Delphi

Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race between the two threads, for and against using Delphi in new projects, with more or less the same users posting in both threads. Arguments are fiercely debated in both camps.

Borland had their own vision. As a community, now that Delphi has changed ownership I believe we should try to be more consistent, more clear, and more articulate in what we expect from Embercadero in terms of Delphi. We can contribute to keeping Delphi alive and moving in the right direction.
0
Laurent
1/2/2009 8:22:15 PM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 1 followers. Follow

"Laurent Cocea" schrieb:
> Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race ...
<snip>

Some people go fishing, some go to the movies, some like to take long walks
on the beach, and then some like to type their fingers bloody discussing
totally irrelevant issues on public Newsgroups. And my wife likes to watch
soap operas and follow posts from a forum where new-baked parents are
discussing their kids-issues.

Everyone needs a hobby :-)

Regards,
Danijel
0
Danijel
1/2/2009 8:41:05 PM
Laurent Cocea wrote:

> Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race between the two
> threads

They're essentially the same thread with a little more trolling in one
than the other.  Lots of free time over the holidays and all.

I think the discussion in general is a good thing, though.  Help remind
people why a tool like Delphi is worth while, and maybe even shed some
light on some of the things that still need attention.  I still learn
about new things that I didn't know existed.

> I believe we should try to be more consistent, more
> clear, and more articulate in what we expect from Embercadero in
> terms of Delphi. We can contribute to keeping Delphi alive and moving
> in the right direction.

For the most part, I think we (community, CodeGear, Emparcadero) are.
There has been some stumbling, but I think Delphi has taken a distinct
turn for the positive in the past few releases.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
> {quote:title=Laurent Cocea wrote:}{quote}
> Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race between the two threads, for and against using Delphi in new projects, with more or less the same users posting in both threads. Arguments are fiercely debated in both camps.
>
> Borland had their own vision. As a community, now that Delphi has changed ownership I believe we should try to be more consistent, more clear, and more articulate in what we expect from Embercadero in terms of Delphi. We can contribute to keeping Delphi alive and moving in the right direction.

Use the right tool for the job. If you are developing Windows Desktop applications then Delphi is hard to beat. If you are developing server side and web applications/sites then I think there are better options. If you are building device drivers then Delphi isn't even an option.

Craig
0
Craig
1/5/2009 12:56:50 AM
Craig van Nieuwkerk wrote:

> If you are building device drivers then Delphi isn't even an option.

Both of these support Delphi:

  http://entechtaiwan.net/dev/index.shtm
  http://www.jungo.com/st/wdusb.html

Also google for Martin Harvey on the subject.

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
0
Dave Nottage wrote:

> Craig van Nieuwkerk wrote:
>
> > If you are building device drivers then Delphi isn't even an option.
>
> Both of these support Delphi:
>
>   http://entechtaiwan.net/dev/index.shtm
>   http://www.jungo.com/st/wdusb.html
>
> Also google for Martin Harvey on the subject.

I think the OP was talking about kernel mode device drivers (*.sys),
which, the last time I checked, was impossible to do with Delphi. Just
the lack of the DDK as for starters.

--
Pieter

"To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me."
 -- Charles William Stubbs
0
Pieter

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

delphi Win32 using delphi .NET dll

How design a COM using Delphi and Using in PB7?
I need some component, So, we want using DELPHI5 to develop a COM or Activex. What type of knowege or Skill I must know it. Can anyone tell us? from DRAOGN Can you explain what type of component you want to create? You may not need to a) build your own, or b) use Delphi. If the component should be used from within a PB application, you ought to use PB to develop it unless it is something that PB does not let you do. regards, Bill DRAGON wrote: > I need some component, So, we want using DELPHI5 to develop a COM or > Activex. > What type of knowege or Skill I ...

can i use delphi 2007 bpls in delphi 2009

MOVED: Use Delphi XE TLB importer in Delphi 2007?
....to the ActiveX group: https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=47170 -- Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/ ...

How to use AppModeler to generate Delphi forms using Cached Updates
<HTML> <TT>A beginner's question regarding AppModeler 6.1, Delphi 3, and Interbase 5.x...</TT> <P><TT>While I am impressed with the amount of thought and work that has gone into AppModeler, I have nonetheless been surprised to discover that the Delphi application generated by AppModeler is not suitable for real-world situations because of the "fly-away" problem afflicting newly-entered records.</TT> <P><TT>When I enter a record on an AppModeler-generated Delphi form, the record disappears ("flies away") immedia...

If you use Delphi...
If you use Delphi for .NET with ASA, please vote for this: http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=31677 ...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

How to use a .dmp file for a system which crashes using a delphi app
Hi, I put this post here because I am not sure of the best location. I have been given a memory dump (.dmp) file by a client who thinks that a Delphi 7 application is causing their system to blue screen from time to time. Does anyone know how I can use this .dmp file to locate the problem in the delphi app? The build the client is using has debug symbols turned on. I have downloaded Microsoft Debugging Tools for windows and have dupmchk.exe (and kd.exe) but I would really appreciate some help with how these or any other useful tools should be used? Many thanks Ben > I have down...

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { ...

Trying to call a .DLL from Delphi XE (used to work with Delphi 6 :-) )
Hi everyone, I have a problem where perhaps some one could help point me in the right direction. In Delphi 6 I used a stand alone package to train a neural netowrk,. The trained neural network was stored as a .DEF file. The standalone software provided a .DLL and Delphi code to call the network and get the prediced values from your sw. (The .DLL was created in 2002 and apparently is 32 bit.) I have'nt used it for years but am now coming back to it.... I now use Delphi XE on Windows 7 (32 bit) The old .exe's I had compiled from that time work fine. However in Delphi XE ...

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an appli...

What pattern use? How to use these patterns in Delphi XE 3? Developing new
My firwst post here, and i REALLY need yours help... My main objective is to create a _*standard system to register products, clients, sell items, control stock*_, and so on. I want to use *Multi Tier, using Datasnap*, I dont want the classic client-server systems. There are several considerations I would like to discuss: 1 - I really want to do a *GOOD system, using patters* to make easier maintenance. I have read about MVC, saw some examples, but I read examples using Interfaces, and other posts in internet say Interfaces are bad. *MVC is good for this kind of system*? 2 - I wan...

Cannot use Microsoft Excel when a Delphi application that uses automat. run [Edit]
Dear all, I built an application that connect to an Excel file using a OleObject: Excel := CreateOleObject('Excel.Application'); LCID := GetUserDefaultLCID; all works fine but I cannot use Microsoft Excel externally when my application is running. If I try to open another xls file, Excel tries to open the file in my Delphi application in read only mode. It does not even show it properly but opens a weir transparent application. I just want to be able to use Excel externally and I'd like the instance opened by my Delphi application to be independent from other Exc...

Debugging in Delphi XE2 using another Delphi BDS process as host
Hi I've been using delphi a long time And I always had the possibility of debbuging Packages using another Delphi process as host. This is very useful to test the design-time side of packages. Now with XE 2 I can whether running with options - Debugger - Host Application or Attach to process Any ideas? Thanks Plp Pedro wrote: > Now with XE 2 I can whether running with options - Debugger - Host > Application or Attach to process What exactly are you having trouble with? Error messages, unexpected behavior, etc. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) Hi Remy ...

How to use the arguments to use() in the package being used
Howdy,=20 The subject says it all believe it or not :) What I'm trying to figure out is how to pass an argument=20 (pragma I believe is the proper term) to use() and do=20 sonethign in the package based on it. I've looked at CGI.pm source but can't seem to track it down.=20 (Similar idea as to CGIs -oldstyle_urls -newstyel_urls) http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.04/CGI.pm#PRAGMAS What I'd like to do is something like this: # for old time's sake we'll just use our favorite module use Foo::Monkey qw(:Foo :Bar -doamazingthings); #then in Foo::Monkey...

New Tech Doc
Just passing on the information that we have posted a new tech doc discussing that talks about using Delphi with ASA. The doc is available at the following url: http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=1002208 SUMMARY: Borland Delphi is a rapid application development tool for Windows. Due to the increasing popularity of developing with Delphi and SQL Anywhere Studio, Sybase has provided a white paper on how the two work together, some common issues and methods to resolve those issues. This document will provide you...

Code regardin post: Spread 8 COM
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_5f856.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Code samples Spread Custom Cell Sample.zip = Delphi code Spread_ActiveX_Samples.zip = GrapeCity sample (VB, VC) -- Regards, Ronald Hoek Application Developer ComponentAgro B.V. Oud-Beijerland - The Netherlands http://www.componentagro.nl KvK: H24264020 --JivePart=_5f856.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: application/zip; name="Spread_Act...

Which Delphi version do you use?
Since we seem to be in a mood to take surveys in here, I'd like to pose the following questions. Which version of Delphi do you use for "current" projects? Which is the most recent version have you purchased? If these are different, why are you not using the latest version? Let me be the first to answer my own questions. On 10/01/2014 9:20 AM, John Furlong wrote: > Since we seem to be in a mood to take surveys in here, I'd like to pose > the following questions. > > Which version of Delphi do you use for "current" projects? XE2 >...

How to use USB in Delphi
Hi, Does anyone know where I can find info on how to address USB devices? I would like to know which devices are connected and how I can communicate with these, for example with a mouse or joystick. Thanks in advance for any info Arnold > {quote:title=Arnold Reinders wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I can find info on how to address USB devices? I > would like to know which devices are connected and how I can communicate > with these, for example with a mouse or joystick. In Windows you can communicate with hardware via a device driver...

Using OpenCASCADE with Delphi?
Hi all, I'm curious as to if anyone here has ever used the open source OpenCASCADE 3D modeling and numerical simulation software (http://www.opencascade.org/) with Delphi before? I have found Python bindings online, but no Delphi 'bindings', and I am confused as to what files I should try to interface with. Thanks for your time. Cheers, Paul. "The plastic veneer of civilization is easily melted in the heat of the moment" - Paul Nicholls. paulfnicholls@gmail.NOSPAM.com Remove ".NOSPAM" to reply. "Paul Nicholls" <paul_nich...

You probably should not be using Delphi if ...
1. You couldn't care less about lugging (massive) runtime libraries with your Windows program; and 2. You don't use TDatasource! :) > {quote:title=Abdullah Kauchali wrote:}{quote} > 1. You couldn't care less about lugging (massive) runtime libraries with > your Windows program; and > 2. You don't use TDatasource! I dunno about #2. I've seen plenty of good Delphi programs with no dataset/datasource functionality. On 2011-06-24 22:41:14 +0100, Mason Wheeler said: >> >> {quote:title=Abdullah Kauchali wrote:}{quote} >> 1...

Web resources about - To use or not to use Delphi - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Domestic firms eye Delphi
BizChina offers latest business and market information of China, online updates of 17 industries, investment guides, business events and industry ...

Official: Verizon's Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi now on sale for $250
Filed under: Technology Partnering with Verizon Wireless, Delphi Automotive has released its Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi product that allows ...