Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7

Hi,
  I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most
important improvements between these versions of Delphi.
The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to
D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for
which we have licenses).

Fire at will!

--
Saluti,
  Alessandro Federici

-------------------------------
"I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually
happened." (Mark Twain)
0
Alessandro

Alessandro Federici wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most
> important improvements between these versions of Delphi.
> The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to
> D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for
> which we have licenses).

http://dn.codegear.com/article/39076
0
Utf

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/305016/what-are-major-incentives-to-upgrade-to-d2009-unicode-excluded#305262

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
Alessandro Federici wrote:

> Fire at will!

What kind of applications are you writing?  Win32 client apps,
services, websnap?

--
Iman
0
"Alessandro Federici" <none@none.com> wrote in message

> The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to
> D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for
> which we have licenses).

What are you moving from?
0
Uffe
12/5/2008 10:43:17 PM
Alessandro Federici wrote:

> Fire at will!

http://dn.codegear.com/article/34324 -- needs to be updated for
generics and anonymous methods

http://dn.codegear.com/article/34323 -- add Build Configurations, Class
explorer, Windows RES/RC handling.

http://dn.codegear.com/article/34325 -- same -- doesn't have Ribbon
controls in there.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Embarcadero
Alicia Kensington wrote:
> I appreciate the idea that D7 is a mature product and is very
> compatible with FPC/Lazarus. If I were your powers-that-pay-the-bills I
> wouldn't throw any money for some new syntactic sugar of dubious
> utility and a not too reliable compiler. :)
I've used Delphi 7 for around 6 years, and I can say without a doubt
that Delphi 2009 has a better IDE, and the new language features is more
than worth the upgrade.  The resulting code is faster.   And perhaps
it's just my imagination, but Delphi 2009 loads as fast or faster than
Delphi 7.
0
Phillip
12/6/2008 5:01:35 AM
Alessandro Federici wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most
> important improvements between these versions of Delphi.
> The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to
> D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for
> which we have licenses).

Sorry, I don't have a URL -- but a friend of mine has moved all his
companies projects from D2007 to D2009. He debugs complex RemObjects and
Web servers while simultaneously debugging the clients -- and he tells
me that D2009 is infinitely more stable than D2007 when asking the IDE
to some very heavy lifting.

I've played around with it, and the Unicode support is fantastic. I've
showed some developers what I've been able to do so far -- and those
developers went from "I won't need Unicode for a few years" to "it's
going into the roadmap for the next 12 months". A lot of Delphi
developers will shortly realize how important Unicode is to Delphi (even
if it should have come a few years earlier).

I just finished perusing Marco Cantu's new book on D2009 -- 400 pages to
scratch the surface on all the new goodies!

I love the enhancements to TEdit, and a host of other parts of the VCL.
Truly useful.

I love the enhancements to the Project Manager. Inner exceptions are
very useful in some circumstances. Exiting with a value makes for
simpler, more readable code.

Anonymous methods -- I'm still pondering how I'm going to use this going
forward.

Anyway, if there was ever a time to upgrade, this is it. I've never been
so impressed with a new version.

Loren Szendre
0
Loren
12/6/2008 8:04:25 AM
Indeed, Delphi 2009 is very nice. And they have done a lot of good things.
From what I have experienced so far, I have only two minor annoyances
(worked with it on real projects for a week now).

IDE (no restart crashes at all):
1. Once the execution point visual edit marker freezed when doing program
reset (Ctrl+F2). Fixed by closing the unit and reopening it.

WebSnap:
2. Nasty hack done inside TWebResponse setter of Content
(TWebResponse.SetUnicodeContent) to get unicode working.
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=69622 (already opened :) )

The IDE is really snappy, and you don't even need DelphiSpeedUp anymore.
That should tell you something. So they are really back on track, and I'm
very excited to see how it will evolve in the next versions to come :)

-Atle
0
Atle
12/6/2008 3:35:37 PM
"Alessandro Federici" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>  I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most
> important improvements between these versions of Delphi.
> The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to
> D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for
> which we have licenses).

There's no way to intelligently answer this without knowing a few things:

1) What type of apps are you creating? Do they have an international
customer base?
2) How many third-party components do you use? Are they still maintained and
updated for D2009?

D2009 is a breaking change.

However, I should probably point out that now that I have done the hardest
part of the port to D2009, I am very glad I did. It is indeed one of the
best Delphi releases ever.
0
John
12/6/2008 4:13:51 PM
Loren Szendre wrote:

> Anyway, if there was ever a time to upgrade, this is it. I've never
> been so impressed with a new version.

Wow -- thanks very much for the kind words.

Can we quote you on that?

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Nick
12/7/2008 5:05:06 AM
Atle Smelvaer wrote:

> and you don't even need DelphiSpeedUp anymore.

We worked very closely with Andreas and incorporated much of his
excellent work right into the product.  We and the whole Delphi
community are very indebted to Andreas's expertise and selfless efforts.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Nick
12/7/2008 5:08:14 AM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> selfless efforts

I'm actually not that selfless.

DelphiSpeedUp: Ever worked on an old and slow laptop and Delphi 7 needs
5 minutes to start and load all installed packages? And don't tell me
that this is the time to get a cup of coffee.

DDevExtensions: ICQ took over Ctrl+Shift+I (indent) and Ctrl+K+I needs
two key strokes, so I wanted the TAB key (that is the defacto standard
in all other applications) in the default keyboard layout. I hate the
VS keyboard layout. The only selfless extension is the Old Component
Palette.

bcc32pch: I needed to compile Qt 3 in a reasonible time and to show
somebody that Borland (at that time) still had the fastest compiler.
Unfortunately also the one with the most bugs (at that time, the one
that caused me to change thousands of Qt 3 source code lines is still
present and was reported in 2001)

DFMCheck: If you use visual inheritance and frames a lot in your
product and you ever have deployed a broken form to a customer, you
learn to love DFMCheck.

AsyncCalls: I'm also only a developer who looks for an easy
multithreading framework and nothing at that time satisfied me.

XP-Themed DBGrid: DBGrid looks old and outdated without theming.
Especially if you have reimplemented themes for Windows 2000.

dcc32speed: The compiler took ages to create map files that are needed
for stack traces. DelphiSpeedUp had fixed that for the IDE Compiler,
but a homegrown build system that calls the command line compiler
didn't profit from DelphiSpeedUp.

IDE Fix Pack: Should speak for itself.

VCL Fix Pack: Should speak for itself.

IDE Compiler Plugin: That's a different story, that I won't talk about.

Have I forgotten something?

A long time ago in a land...

VisualCLX Patches: There was a time when I had ported some applications
to Linux. And for this I needed a VisualCLX that could be used. But
those times are long gone.

And now tell me that I'm selfless :-)

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
0
Andreas
12/7/2008 9:47:09 AM
"Andreas Hausladen" <AndreasDOTHausladen@gObviousToBeRemovedmx.de> wrote in
message news:52256@forums.codegear.com...

> DelphiSpeedUp: Ever worked on an old and slow laptop and Delphi 7 needs
> 5 minutes to start and load all installed packages?

Maybe you should extend those 640 Kb? :-)
0
Uffe
12/7/2008 11:34:07 AM
"Iman Crawford" <ilcrawford@hotmail.com> wrote in message
[..]
> What kind of applications are you writing?  Win32 client apps,
> services, websnap?

Win32 clients for the most part that D2009 is concerned with.
0
Alessandro
12/7/2008 2:31:28 PM
"Uffe Kousgaard" <oh@no.no> wrote in message
[..]
>> The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to
>> D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7
>> (for which we have licenses).
> What are you moving from?

D5 and D7
0
Alessandro
12/7/2008 2:31:48 PM
"John Jacobson" <jake@NOSPAMjsnewsreader.com> wrote in message
[..]
> There's no way to intelligently answer this without knowing a few things:

That doesn't seem to be the case :)

> 1) What type of apps are you creating?

A mix of client server apps need to be ported and so does a RO/DA client.
Servers are being converted to .NET code and will need to interact with some
of these (and obviously there's going to be RO in the mix <G>)

> Do they have an international customer base?

Not yet, but those that are potentially coming don't seem to need unicode
(or so I am told).

> 2) How many third-party components do you use? Are they still maintained
> and
> updated for D2009?
> D2009 is a breaking change.

Yes, that is our biggest concern as one of the environments we need to port
has something like 100 3rd party componentsets installed, a bunch of which
are still using the D5 package format.

> However, I should probably point out that now that I have done the hardest
> part of the port to D2009, I am very glad I did. It is indeed one of the
> best Delphi releases ever.

Good to know.
0
Alessandro
12/7/2008 2:43:42 PM

>> However, I should probably point out that now that I have done the
>> hardest
>> part of the port to D2009, I am very glad I did. It is indeed one of the
>> best Delphi releases ever.
>
> Good to know.

IMO, On the whole this is not the release that would justify rewriting your
code-base to accomodate a "breaking change". unless you need unicode
capability.  But, it is clear to me from the general community feed-back
that this is a rock-solid release of D7 quality which has enough interesting
features to justify an upgrade - just to have it; especially as a "good
will" upgrade.

-d
0
Dennis
12/7/2008 3:29:15 PM
"Dennis Landi"  wrote:

>  - just to have it; especially as a "good  will" upgrade.

https://eservices.goodwill.org/donate/index.cfm

;-)
0
John
12/7/2008 3:57:19 PM
Andreas,

| And now tell me that I'm selfless :-)

I will tell you that you and your efforts sharing are very much
appreciated!

12/07/2008 09:29:58

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
12/7/2008 5:32:11 PM
"Alessandro Federici" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> 2) How many third-party components do you use? Are they still maintained
>> and
>> updated for D2009?
>> D2009 is a breaking change.
>
> Yes, that is our biggest concern as one of the environments we need to
> port has something like 100 3rd party componentsets installed, a bunch of
> which are still using the D5 package format.

That could be a problem, unless the vendors have D2009 versions of their
components. There's no way to use DCU's from earlier versions of Delphi,
unlike the compatibility that existed between D2006 and D2007.
0
John
12/7/2008 6:11:15 PM
> D5 and D7

Wow, that's a big jump. But if there are plans to maintain this code for
several more years, I think it could be worth it. You could definitely
improve performance, if nothing else.
0
John
12/7/2008 6:28:10 PM
Alessandro Federici wrote:

> D5 and D7

And I'm working in D6, of all things, every day.

Wishing it were D7...

--

Bill
0
Andreas Hausladen wrote:

> I'm actually not that selfless.

:-)  In any event, we are very appreciative and grateful for your help.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Nick
12/7/2008 11:55:13 PM
> [..] There's no way to use DCU's from earlier versions of Delphi,

I am well aware of the problem, so I need good reasons to justify the
upgrade.
That is, by itself, the biggest problem of them all (accounts for probabily
95% of the fact we're not more current).

--
Saluti,
  Alessandro Federici

-------------------------------
"I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually
happened." (Mark Twain)
0
Alessandro
12/8/2008 3:49:20 AM
Alessandro Federici wrote:

> I am well aware of the problem, so I need good reasons to justify the
> upgrade.  That is, by itself, the biggest problem of them all
> (accounts for probabily 95% of the fact we're not more current).

Almost comes down to the question, of do you /ever/ upgrade that D5
app. I guess you have to weigh up the question of how much active
development will occur with it, how much longer will it be maintained.

I would say that if you are going to actively enhance the product, then
its worth upgrading now, it will always be painfull, best to suck it up
now, before any more significant breakages, and if you are going to
just maintain the product, but will do so for years to come then that's
also probably worth an upgrade (refactoring support in d2006+ gives you
"callee graph" type ability, that's worth the price of admission in
complex projects by itself)
0
Tim
12/8/2008 4:22:13 AM
Tim Jarvis wrote:
> also probably worth an upgrade (refactoring support in d2006+ gives you
> "callee graph" type ability, that's worth the price of admission in
> complex projects by itself)

"callee graph" type ability?

Okay, I'm an idiot.  What does this mean?

David Erbas-White
0
David
12/8/2008 4:49:49 AM
"Tim Jarvis" <tim@jarvis.com.au> wrote in message
[..]
> Almost comes down to the question, of do you /ever/ upgrade that D5
> app. I guess you have to weigh up the question of how much active
> development will occur with it, how much longer will it be maintained.

It's one of the most important apps we sell and it's being
developed/expanded almost on a daily basis.

> I would say that if you are going to actively enhance the product, then
> its worth upgrading now, it will always be painfull, best to suck it up
> now, before any more significant breakages, and if you are going to
> just maintain the product, but will do so for years to come then that's
> also probably worth an upgrade (refactoring support in d2006+ gives you
> "callee graph" type ability, that's worth the price of admission in
> complex projects by itself)

Good to know. I'll look into this feature for advertisment purposes <G>
0
Alessandro
12/8/2008 1:04:51 PM
In article <52256@forums.codegear.com>,
 wrote:

> (at that time, the one
> that caused me to change thousands of Qt 3 source code lines is still
> present and was reported in 2001)

   What's the QC/RAID number on that? I can't find anything of yours
that is that old.
--
David Dean (Embarcadero)
Lead C++ QA Engineer
David Dean (Embarcadero) wrote:

>    What's the QC/RAID number on that? I can't find anything of yours
> that is that old.

Sorry, I mixed up the QC report. The one I thought of is already fixed in Delphi 2009 but the one I meant isn't.

And here are my steps:
bcc32 -c main.cpp

main.cpp:
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
class QString {
public:
    inline QString() {}
    inline QString(char *c) { str = c; };

    operator char*() const { return str; }
    QString operator=(char *c) { return QString(c); }
private:
    char *str;
};

int main(int, char*[])
{
    bool condition = false;
    QString c = "Hallo";

/* ?-operator fails with:
   Error E2354 main.cpp 23: Two operands must evaluate to the same type
in function main(int,char * *)
*/
    QString s = condition ? c : "Hallo";
    return 0;
}
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
0
Andreas
12/9/2008 6:03:52 PM
Here is the QC report for the bug I meant:

QC 24830 / RAID 428251
?-operator does not convert the expressions to the same type

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
0
Andreas
12/9/2008 6:07:03 PM
In article <53025@forums.codegear.com>,
 wrote:

> Sorry, I mixed up the QC report. The one I thought of is already fixed in
> Delphi 2009 but the one I meant isn't.

   OK, that one is on my radar. It affects several libraries and
utilities so I also very much want to see it fixed.
--
David Dean (Embarcadero)
Lead C++ QA Engineer
David Erbas-White wrote:

> "callee graph" type ability?
>
> Okay, I'm an idiot.  What does this mean?

You are far from being an idiot David.

> David Erbas-White

:-)

I stole the term from an earlier version of Lutz Roeder's reflector,
it's now referred to as "depends on"

Basically you can get a report/graph on references to and from symbols.
When you are trying to get your head around a complex (or even not too
complex) frameworks it's a (imo) must have.

Regards Tim.
0
Tim
12/9/2008 9:05:53 PM
William Meyer wrote:
> Alessandro Federici wrote:
>
>> D5 and D7
>
> And I'm working in D6, of all things, every day.
>
> Wishing it were D7...

Hey!  I liked D6 and would have used it longer had it had support for new
ComCtrl theming.  That said, D2007 and now D2009 are really very nice products.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee
0
Lee
12/9/2008 9:25:09 PM
Lee Jenkins wrote:

> Hey!  I liked D6 and would have used it longer...

Well, I'd really much rather move at least to D7.

--

Bill
0
"William Meyer" <meyer.wil@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Lee Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Hey!  I liked D6 and would have used it longer...
>
> Well, I'd really much rather move at least to D7.
>
> --

Hmm?  The Golden Delphi?   I am afraid this is an Invitation-Only club.
Very exclusive.  Sorry.

-d
0
Dennis
12/11/2008 3:57:31 AM
Dennis Landi wrote:

> Hmm?  The Golden Delphi?   I am afraid this is an Invitation-Only
> club. Very exclusive.  Sorry.

Yeah, the one I have used since it was brand new, everywhere but on
this job....

--

Bill
0

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Can delphi 2009 and delphi 7 be on the same computer?
Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same computer or will they interfer with each other? I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) when installing 2009? Lorne Anderson wrote: > Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same > computer or will they interfer with each other? > > I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) > when installing 2009? It works fine. You usually want to install the older version first. As for folders, the root folde...

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

How to access Delphi 7 & 2009 after purchasing Delphi XE
I have purchased and installed Delphi XE and now I'm unable to find information on how to download previous versions of Delphi, namely Delphi 7 and 2009. Please respond. Regards, SB, L&T Hi sushweta biswas, > I have purchased and installed Delphi XE and now I'm unable to find information on how to download previous versions of Delphi, namely Delphi 7 and 2009. Your reseller should have told you: after registering Delphi XE, you can go to http://www.embarcadero.com/xe-earlier-versions to enter your serial number of Delphi XE as well as your EDN account informati...

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 migration
Hello, for migrating a Delphi 7 application to Delphi 2009, I wonder if there is some kind of best practices guide available? For example, general pitfalls to watch out, ... or a tool which analyse the current code base in respect to problems with Delphi 2009. Basically it is a BDE based application accessing a MSSQL database. The only third-party component in use is an ActiveX thingy integrating a reporting engine. Thanks, Thomas At CodeRage 2008 session there is this Migrating your Applications to the Latest Delphi Many developers use Delphi 5, 6, 7, 2005, 2006 ...

How to fix get IP-MAC pairs code below from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 ?
How to get All IP - MAC address pairs on local PC by Delphi 2009 ? The Code below can get correct answer on Delphi 7, but get error answer on Delphi 2009. How to fix ? or Are there the better method ? // Delphi 7 (Delphi 2009 failed) // // Get Alll IP-MAC address pairs on local PC // unit Unit1; interface uses Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Variants, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms, Dialogs, StdCtrls; function GetIPMAC: String; const ANY_SIZE = 1; MAX_ADAPTER_ADDRESS_LENGTH = 8; // arb. MAX_INTERFACE_NAME_LEN = 256; { mrapi.h } MAXL...

Web resources about - Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Question Of The Day: Greatest hood scoop ever?
Filed under: Automotive History Just about every manufacturer has installed some sort of scoop, functional or not, to at least one vehicle hood. ...

If you want to work for Airbnb, get ready to answer these 27 ridiculous interview questions
Airbnb is the third-most valuable private tech company in the world — it has a $25.5 billion valuation . If you want to work there, you might ...

Review: Ten Economic Questions for 2015
At the end of each year, I post Ten Economic Questions for the coming year. I followed up with a brief post on each question. The goal was to ...

Questions raised about San Bernardino shooter's visa
Chair of House Judiciary Committee says immigration officials had insufficient evidence to issue Tashfeen Malik a visa to enter the U.S.

“R. Kelly walked out of a HuffPo interview after some awkward questions” links
R. Kelly walked out of HuffPo interview after being asked some awkward questions about his fans’ reactions to his sexual assault of minors. [Dlisted] ...

Where's Conservative Outrage Over Hugh Hewitt's Questions To Ben Carson?
One of the biggest tools the conservative punditry uses to make itself look like underdogs is to complain that the librul media is out to get ...

Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump
Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump

David Foster Defends His Ex Yolanda Foster: Don't Question Her Lyme Disease
David Foster Defends His Ex Yolanda Foster: Don't Question Her Lyme Disease

Five Questions With Advertising Executive Kitty Lun, CEO of Lowe China
By Linda Kerstin Kitty Lun, Chairman and CEO at Lowe China, is one of the most awarded and respected advertising professionals in Greater China. ...