Protected methods and properties in Objective-C vs Delphi

I'm presently involved in writing an iPhone app and have come against
yet another learning curve.

Whereas Delphi has good visibility specifiers and easy ways to declare
properties and methods as private and protected, Objective-C has
traditionally been a tad "imprecise" about visibility :-)

For those who fancy a trip into the surreal world that is Objective-C
programming, I have written a small article in my own forums -
http://carterconsulting.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18

Read it and you might be glad you still have work in Delphi ;-)

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter [Team OOAD]
0

Thank you!

--
Michael Bunny [Team 101st Hareborne] Nuts!
Bunny @ Bugs - Shift + F7 - Insect of terror, face your faith like a man!
On 07/12/2011 13:00, Joanna Carter (Team OOAD) wrote:
> I'm presently involved in writing an iPhone app and have come against
> yet another learning curve.
>
> Whereas Delphi has good visibility specifiers and easy ways to declare
> properties and methods as private and protected, Objective-C has
> traditionally been a tad "imprecise" about visibility :-)
>
> For those who fancy a trip into the surreal world that is Objective-C
> programming, I have written a small article in my own forums -
> http://carterconsulting.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18
>
> Read it and you might be glad you still have work in Delphi ;-)
>
> Joanna

Alert! you are in danger of losing your Apple 'fangirl' status.
I can't believe that something Apple created would not be "best in
class", you must be doing something wrong because surely objective C
'just works'? As SJ would say,'just don't program it that way'. ;-)

CB
0
Charles
12/7/2011 1:33:01 PM
"Charles B" <c@b.a> wrote in message news:427185@forums.embarcadero.com...
> On 07/12/2011 13:00, Joanna Carter (Team OOAD) wrote:
>> For those who fancy a trip into the surreal world that is Objective-C
>> programming, I have written a small article in my own forums -
>> http://carterconsulting.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18
>>

> Alert! you are in danger of losing your Apple 'fangirl' status.
> I can't believe that something Apple created would not be "best in
> class", you must be doing something wrong because surely objective C
> 'just works'? As SJ would say,'just don't program it that way'. ;-)

Vague (possibly not at all) recollection - wasn't Objective-C created by
Next Computing, not Apple?
0
david
12/7/2011 2:04:43 PM
> {quote:title=david hoke wrote:}{quote}
> "Charles B" <c@b.a> wrote in message news:427185@forums.embarcadero.com...
> > On 07/12/2011 13:00, Joanna Carter (Team OOAD) wrote:
> >> For those who fancy a trip into the surreal world that is Objective-C
> >> programming, I have written a small article in my own forums -
> >> http://carterconsulting.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18
> >>

> > Alert! you are in danger of losing your Apple 'fangirl' status.
> > I can't believe that something Apple created would not be "best in
> > class", you must be doing something wrong because surely objective C
> > 'just works'? As SJ would say,'just don't program it that way'. ;-)
>
> Vague (possibly not at all) recollection - wasn't Objective-C created by
> Next Computing, not Apple?

But Next Computing was by Steve Jobs.
0
Phillip
12/7/2011 3:30:04 PM
david hoke wrote:

> Vague (possibly not at all) recollection - wasn't Objective-C created
> by Next Computing, not Apple?

Objective-C existed already before that (since 1980). NeXT just chose
it as their prime language (in 1988), which popularized the language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C#History

--
Rudy Velthuis

"Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it can't be done and it only
 ticks off the pig."
 -- Robert Heinlein
0
Rudy
12/7/2011 7:34:41 PM
On 07/12/2011 14:04, david hoke wrote:
> "Charles B"<c@b.a>  wrote in message news:427185@forums.embarcadero.com...
>> On 07/12/2011 13:00, Joanna Carter (Team OOAD) wrote:
>>> For those who fancy a trip into the surreal world that is Objective-C
>>> programming, I have written a small article in my own forums -
>>> http://carterconsulting.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18
>>>

>> Alert! you are in danger of losing your Apple 'fangirl' status.
>> I can't believe that something Apple created would not be "best in
>> class", you must be doing something wrong because surely objective C
>> 'just works'? As SJ would say,'just don't program it that way'. ;-)
>
> Vague (possibly not at all) recollection - wasn't Objective-C created by
> Next Computing, not Apple?

Doesn't matter, Apple/Jobs chose to use it.

CB
0
Charles
12/12/2011 8:55:44 AM
Charles B wrote:

> > Vague (possibly not at all) recollection - wasn't Objective-C
> > created by Next Computing, not Apple?
>
> Doesn't matter, Apple/Jobs chose to use it.

Not sure if it was Jobs himself who chose it, but it came from NeXT and
NeXTStep, which was Jobs' baby.

--
Rudy Velthuis

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find
 it."
 -- Andre Gide
0
Rudy

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

Objective-C to Delphi bridge
Hi, Can someone explain the Wrap and OCCClass stuff? Is there a document or article that explains how we access Objective-C methods and vice-versa? It's a little confusing to me right now. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe Joe Sansalone wrote: > Hi, > > Can someone explain the Wrap and OCCClass stuff? > Is there a document or article that explains how we access > Objective-C methods and vice-versa? If you must access an NSObject derivate (all Cocoa classes, etc.), you wrap them to get an interface with the name of the class. You can then ...

Delphi vs Winform
This might be a little techie, but I think most people here are familiar with Delphi to understand the difference between a TWinControl and TGraphicControl. I was trying to create a C# Winform project based on a Delphi prototype and ran into this problem which I posted to some Winform forums ... This led me to an *obvious* deficiency in Winforms programming. I'd like to hear your thoughts. My question to the Winforms forums describing the problem is copied below: <snip> Hi, I mostly do Delphi development but would like to start my next small work project in Visual S...

Memory usage in Delphi 2007 vs. Delphi 5
Going from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2007 and finding something way unexpected. The reportedly *same code, and same data,* uses about 104 MB in Delphi 5 and about 400 MB in Delphi 2007 according to the Windows Task Manager. Now, I know that it is not the most accurate way of measuring memory usage, but it gives us an idea of the proportion of memory use in Delphi 2007. Before we go deeper, we just created 20,000 objects and added them to an object list in Delphi 5 and 2007. The result in memory use still looks like 50 MB (Delphi 5) to 178 MB (Delphi 2007). We've downloaded ...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Project Manager Delphi 2007 vs Delphi 5
I am in the midst of moving from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2007. I have a .BAT file that I use to do some post processing on the executable after it is built. In Delphi 5, I just added the .BAT file to the project manager. Then when I wanted to execute the .BAT file I just right clicked its entry in the project manager and selected Execute. There doesn't seem to be anyway to add the .BAT file to the project manager in Delphi 2007. How can I set up something similar to what I had in Delphi 5? I thought about using a Post Build event but I don't necessarily want to execute the .BAT fi...

Delphi 5 (string[80]) vs Delphi XE
Hi guys i'm trying to convert a old application made with Delphi 5 to Delphi XE 5 The probleme i have right now is about String[80] and the Read / Write procedure i have a type like that Type TEnrMess = record Mess : String[80]; MessSuiv : Word; Hint : Word; end; And i read/write this type to a File of TEnrMess My probleme is that the string have changed from Delphi 5 to Delphi XE i join the link of a simple of the probleme that can be compiled on delphi 5 and any Delphi XE https://mega.co.nz/#!wV1VyZzY!1ha5oOxTg7L1WJAOXutUygkj...

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

I have Delphi 2010 which includes c++, but it always loads as Delphi
Hi there, I have Delphi 2010 which includes c++, but it always loads as Delphi. How do I forced to load as c++? Thanks for the help Jorge <Jorge Uriarte> wrote in message news:393178@forums.embarcadero.com... > I have Delphi 2010 which includes c++, but it always loads as Delphi. How > do I forced to load as c++? Did you actually install the C++ personality? Are you loading the IDE using the "Delphi 2010" shortcut (which loads bds.exe with the "-pDelphi" command line parameter)? You should be using the "C++Builder 2010" shortcut (...

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Delphi to C++ property issue [Edit]
Hi All, I was compiling a Delphi third party library in C++. I fixes a few issues and left to this. It seems compiler has some problem when it comes to index and array in property. Separately seems to be fine. Solutions/fixes to pas file or other pointers greatly appreciated. *Works* Pascal: {code} property Attributes[const aName: OWideString]: OWideString read GetAttribute write _SetAttribute; function GetAttribute(const aName: OWideString): OWideString; {code} C++: {code} __property System::UnicodeString Attributes[const System::UnicodeString aName] = {read=GetAttribute, write=_S...

C# vs Delphi Prism, what are the differences?
Frankly, there are some features that must be implemented by Delphi Prism, such as: - C# Collection initializers http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384062.aspx - C# "volatile" fields http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa645755(VS.71).aspx Additionally, VS "Class View" and Object Browser windows aren't working with Oxygene now: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sy6s2t6h(VS.80).aspx Will be these features in Delphi Prism RTM or in the near future? Janos Janka http://jankajanos.spaces.live.com ...

vcljpg to vclimg, packages and Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2010 compatibility
Hello, everybody. I have a package A which has vcljpg in its "requires" clause. I have another several packages B, C, D, E, etc which has A in theirs "requires" clauses. All packages are both Delphi 2006 and Delphi 2010 compatible. The problem is that there is no vcljpg package in Delphi 2010 and in order to compile the whole bunch of packages I have to change vcljpg to vclimg and compile. Unfortunately it renders the whole set of packages incompilable under Delphi 2006. Is there a way to create an alias for vclimg or vcljpg in order to get the same code...

RAD Studio 2010 (Delphi, C++Builder, and Delphi Prism) Posted
All, The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 Enjoy, Mike Michael Rozlog wrote: > All, > > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. > > Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 > Thanks for the info, Mike. One thing I'm missing in the slides is the effort to bring the compiler into the C++ Standard compliance (lamda/closures, auto/decltype, etc.) I hope it's just an omission! :) Il Tue, 11 May 2010 09:01:04 -0700, Alex Bakaev <a@b.cc> ha scritto: >Than...

Web resources about - Protected methods and properties in Objective-C vs Delphi - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Objective-C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.h, .m, .mm Objective-C is a general-purpose , high-level , object-oriented programming language that adds Smalltalk -style messaging to the ...

How-to articles for iPhone development and Objective-C
This question is protected to prevent "thanks!", "me too!", or spam answers by new users. To answer it, you must have earned at least 10 reputation ...

Beginning Objective C for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Beginning Objective C on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Apple popularity boosts Objective-C language past C++ - Mobile Development, mobile technology, iPhone ...
Tiobe's language usage index now has the Objective-C language used for building iPad and iPhone apps taking third place, knocking C++ to fourth ...

Swift vs. Objective-C: 10 reasons the future favors Swift
... paradigms do. If you're developing apps for mobile devices and you haven't investigated Swift, take note: Swift will not only supplant Objective-C ...

Adobe Rewriting The Wired iPad App... In Objective C
Remember Wireds iPad app? It might still arrive, but rewritten in Objective C.

Programming with Objective-C: Working with Protocols
Describes elements of best practice when writing code with Objective-C using ARC.

Apple's top secret Swift language grew from work to sustain Objective C, which it now aims to replace ...
... on SwiftApple's surprise new programming language unveiled at WWDCstarted development four years ago in conjunction with efforts to keep Objective ...

Objective-C Programming Language
Holen Sie sich „Objective-C Programming Language“ im App Store. Sehen Sie sich Screenshots, Bewertungen und Kundenrezensionen dazu an.

Basic Unit Testing in Objective-C
... option of creating unit tests, which you can use to verify your code without manual intervention. Here's an example... // IntroductionToObjectiveCTests.m ...