Occasional errors with 32-bit Delphi 7 application on Windows 7 64-bit

Hi,

I have a 32-bit Delphi 7 application which was deployed on some machines with Windows 7 64-bit. The application occasionally displays errors such as:

"Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value"
or
"Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" (here the name "Charset" was apparently truncated to "Ch")

I checked how those properties are declared on the form where the errors occurred, and all seems ok:

- First form (where "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" occurs):
Border.BorderPositions = []
*Border.Color = clBlack*
Border.Style = psSolid

- Second form (where "Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" occurs):
Color = clBtnFace
*Font.Charset = EASTEUROPE_CHARSET*
Font.Color = clNavy

If the form containing those components is closed and opened again (or if the application is restarted), the problem does not reproduce. Also, on 32-bit Windows (e.g. XP) the problem does not show at all. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of those errors? Maybe any suggestion on what to check to find out the root cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance
0
jure

jure wrote:

> I have a 32-bit Delphi 7 application which was deployed on some
> machines with Windows 7 64-bit. The application occasionally displays
> errors such as:
>
> "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value"
>
> or
>
> "Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" (here the
> name "Charset" was apparently truncated to "Ch")

Those errors are related to DFM streaming.  Changes are, the DFM resource
inside of your execuable file has been corrupted.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

thanks for the response.

If the DFM resource inside the executable file is corrupted, I guess the error would show up every time this particular resource is accessed, but if the application is restarted, it doesn't show anymore (or at least, not every time). The other thing is that on 32-bit Windows, those errors don't happen although the same executable is copied to those machines. (I hope I didn't misunderstood what you meant.)

However, your comment about the corrupted resource made me think of another possible cause. Do you think it's possible that a 3rd part application (e.g. antivirus software or something similar) somehow "corrupts" the loaded executable image? That would be consistent with the fact that the problem doesn't always reproduce. If so, do you have any suggestion on what to check (e.g. the application stack trace at the moment the exception happens)?

Thanks and regards

> jure wrote:
>
> > I have a 32-bit Delphi 7 application which was deployed on some
> > machines with Windows 7 64-bit. The application occasionally displays
> > errors such as:
> >
> > "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value"
> >
> > or
> >
> > "Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" (here the
> > name "Charset" was apparently truncated to "Ch")
>
> Those errors are related to DFM streaming.  Changes are, the DFM resource
> inside of your execuable file has been corrupted.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
jure
3/3/2013 9:42:30 PM
jure wrote:

> However, your comment about the corrupted resource made me think
> of another possible cause. Do you think it's possible that a 3rd part
> application (e.g. antivirus software or something similar) somehow
> "corrupts" the loaded executable image?

Possibly.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Windows 7 and Delphi 7, 32 or 64 bit?
I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7). I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7. My question now is: Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7? This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64. I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64..... Bo ...

Installation of Delphi 7 onto Windows 7 64 bit platform.
Hello, I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ". How do I get around this error, or is it even possible? Thank you very much in advance. John Shyer John Shyer wrote: >Hello, > >I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep >getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files >(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to '...

ProcessHandle is always NULL on 64 bit windows 7 for 32 bit application
Hello, I have a 32 bit application that is required to close processes depending upon the situation. The application runs in my corporation and under certain cirmumstances I need to close certain applications on the desktop. So I am using the following to try and obtain the process handle; ProcessHandle = OpenProcess( PROCESS_CREATE_THREAD || PROCESS_VM_OPERATION || PROCESS_VM_WRITE || PROCESS_VM_READ || ...

Delphi 2006 in Windows 7 32 bit / Windows Server 2008
Hi All, I need to install Delphi 2006 IDE in my new windows 2007 system. Could you please advise me whether Delphi 2006 will be supported in Windows 7 / Server 2008. If 2006 version is not supported please advise from which version onwards will be supported in Windows 7 / windows server 2008. Many thanks. Thanks Windows 7/ 2008 did not exist when Delphi 2006 was released, so this combination is untested. Most likely, if you follow these guidelines: http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42598 it will work with current OS's. If you want something we stand behind, you ...

D2009E 32 bits and Windows 7 64 bits
Hello. I've now installed my D2009E 32 bits version on my new PC which has Windows7 24 bits. Since my customers not yet are on 64 bits I would prefere not to use a 64 bits version of Delphi, which I expect will raise some surprises when porting the application to my customers 32 bits XP. With my first application project ported from my XP 32 bits PC and with Delphi20009E running I get a popup message with this text: bds.exe-bordbk120N.dll Assertion Failure "C!"SetThreadContextfailed")" in ..\win32 src\thread32.cpp at line 434 Continue Execution? I...

OpenGL 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit
I have an older OpenGL application using OpenGL 1.4 calls in both software and hardware modes that works fine on 32 bit XP and Win 7 but gives me issues with color depth on Windows 7 64bit. There aren't any errors but it displays fewer colors when it draws to the screen than when it draws to a bitmap. The AMD driver has the screen display set to 32bit color and when I step through the GL context creation whether for HW or SW everything appears correct with the PixelFormatDescriptor set to 8bits per color. GetDeviceCaps confirms that the screen DC is set to 32bit. I'...

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

[Windows 7] Benefit of 64-bit vs 32-bit (?)
I'm contemplating getting Windows 7 (for various reasons I'd rather not discuss here), and am wondering whether to go 64-bit or 32-bit. My current machine runs a Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G (rev_1_0) mainboard, 2 GB RAM, and soon to have a Seagate ST32000641AS (2TB) hard drive. I'm not a gamer (at all), and other than database work (MS Access) and photograph hoarding, I'm pretty much an "average" Windows user. -- Any thoughts appreciated. tbl On 8/22/2010 5:02 PM, tbl wrote: > I'm contemplating getting Windows 7 (for various reasons I'd &g...

Windows 7 - 64 bits
Hello! I know that this is probably not a Delphi issue, but I ask, just in case... perhaps someone had a similar problem... I use D2007, Firebird 2.5 and IBX components, and ClientDatasets (I know IBX doesn't support FB, but I just use it in a very simple way, so there's no problem with that - I think) A customer of mine has this problem: Using Windows 7 64 bits, when he deletes a record in a table the PC hungs completely. The mouse, the keyboard... everything. He has to turn the PC off. I'm sorry I have not more details about the problem. The question is: is t...

Disadvantage in running an ASP.NET 32-bit application on a 64-bit Windows server in 32-bit mode?
 Hello,My ASP.NET application has some 32-bit DLLs I can't change.  I've deployed the application to a 64-bit Windows 2003 server and I can get it to run if I enable 32-bit ASP.NET support.My question:  is this configuration worth it?  Or would I be better off just running it on a Windows 32-bit Server?  Even more specifically, can a 32-bit application running on 64-bit Windows take advantage of the extra RAM the machine might have?Thanks!Mike There's really no disadvantage in running 32 bit application pool on a 64 bits system.With 64 bits OS, the OS ...

Delphi 4 and later on Window-7/64-bit
Folks, I have to install Delphi 4, 5, 2007 and 2009 on Windows-7, 64-bit. I'm aware of the need to install outside the \Program Files\ directory (but including the "common" files or not?), but I do wonder whether any of these versions may include a 16-bit installer, which doesn't run under Windows-64? Thanks for any other advice. David > {quote:title=David Taylor wrote:}{quote} > I have to install Delphi 4, 5, 2007 and 2009 on Windows-7, 64-bit. I'm > aware of the need to install outside the \Program Files\ directory (but > including th...

Running 64 bit console application from a 32 bit Delphi GUI app?
I want to improve the usability of a 64 bit command line program so it can be handled by fairly inexperienced users. For this I need a normal Delphi program to have data specifiers etc, which in the end results in a command file for the console application. This is no big deal. The problem is the following: ------------------------------ 1) Can I start the 64 bit console app in Windows7X64 using the CreateProcess API like I am used to for 32 bit applications? Or are 64 bit programs different? 2) And if that is possible, can I somehow snatch what it sends to standard out (the co...

How to install Delphi 4 on Windows 7 (32-bit) OS?
How to install Delphi 4 on Windows 7 (32-bit) OS? -- Thanks, Nilesh (Delphi Developer) > How to install Delphi 4 on Windows 7 (32-bit) OS? > > -- > Thanks, > Nilesh (Delphi Developer) Exactly the same as any other OS! I recommend installing to: C:\Tools\Delphi4 where C:\Tools\ has been created with a security setting of Everyone, Full control. This assumes you are the only user of that PC. This works on my Windows-7/64 system. Be aware that multiple Delphis should be installed in increasing version number, so Delphi 5 after Delphi 4 and so on. ...

Trial Delphi XE4 will not install under Windows 7 64 bit
Hello, i just loaded the trial version and wanted to install it. When the dialog for serial no appears and i try to type it, the application crashes. The message ist "BDS funktioniert nicht mehr". In the details i see APPCRASH in Module ntdll.dll. The computer ist brand new and there is nothing installed on it. I tried serveral times and also with administration rights. Thanks Theo Theo Lang wrote: > Hello, > i just loaded the trial version and wanted to install it. > > When the dialog for serial no appears and i try to type it, the application cra...

Web resources about - Occasional errors with 32-bit Delphi 7 application on Windows 7 64-bit - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Pre-Christmas job application rush hits Australian public service
Speed required for pre-Christmas job window opening for public servants. Check out who is hiring.

Cloud application adoption increases 71 percent in 2015
The adoption of cloud applications is soaring, up by 71 percent in the last year according to the results of a new survey. The latest Cloud ...

NASA is accepting astronaut applications, and this quiz will tell you if you qualify
... gone before, then you might want to sign up to be a NASA astronaut. On Dec. 14, for the first time in four years, NASA began accepting applications. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

SMIC and M31 introduce differentiated IP solutions for storage controller applications
China-based IC foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) has announced the company will expand its IP portfolio with M31 Technology's ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...

Apple Patent Application Hints at Waterproof iPhone
The patent application describes special rubber ports over headphone and other openings to protect them from water coming in.