Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Hello, Its time to leave the old Delphi 7 and move to the new (but not the latest) XE3.
I was wondering if there is a good book or reference to learn all new things XE3 added.

Any suggestions?
0
George
5/4/2013 2:17:34 AM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5933 articles. 1 followers. Follow

10 Replies
1724 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 37

On 5/3/2013 10:17 PM, George Karatsiolis wrote:
> Hello, Its time to leave the old Delphi 7 and move to the new (but not the latest) XE3.
> I was wondering if there is a good book or reference to learn all new things XE3 added.

Try this one for starters:
http://tinyurl.com/cgsu243

Aside from that you really need to evaluate your application. XE3 is 
Unicode for example....

So here are the biggest issues you will have and they determine how easy 
or hard your port is.

1) Do use strings for byte arrays or memory blocks?

2) Do you access a lot of pointers into strings?

3) What third party components do you have.

Likely #3 is your biggest problem as many of the 3P vendors have gone 
poof and don't have newer versions.


-- 
"Programming is an art form that fights back"
IntraWeb IRC and Web Chat:
http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Support/IRC.aspx
0
Chad
5/4/2013 2:41:53 AM
I am not so beginner as you describe me.
Of course I want unicode support (application + database) and I dont use pointers.
It is just a commercial ERP-like software using MySQL and DevExpress components.

I think with Raize and DevExpress I can survive in XE3, I dont need more components.

Edited by: George Karatsiolis on May 3, 2013 8:04 PM
0
George
5/4/2013 3:05:08 AM
> Hello, Its time to leave the old Delphi 7 and move to the new (but not the latest) XE3.
> I was wondering if there is a good book or reference to learn all new things XE3 added.
> 
> Any suggestions?

Try the TIndex for starters:

http://www.tindex.net/
0
Chris
5/4/2013 9:39:32 AM
On 5/3/2013 11:05 PM, George Karras wrote:
> I am not so beginner as you describe me.

No where in my reply did I describe you as a beginner.

> Of course I want unicode support (application + database) and I dont use pointers.
> It is just a commercial ERP-like software using MySQL and DevExpress components.

If you don't use pointers into strings then you move to Unicode will go 
generally pretty smoothly.

> I think with Raize and DevExpress I can survive in XE3, I dont need more components.

You'll need to check the status of those components that you use from 
those packages and see if all of them are available in XE3.

Another are that may impact you is your database connectivity depending 
on which connectivity you are currently using.


-- 
"Programming is an art form that fights back"
IntraWeb IRC and Web Chat:
http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Support/IRC.aspx
0
Chad
5/4/2013 11:06:16 AM
> {quote:title=Chad Hower wrote:}{quote}
> On 5/3/2013 11:05 PM, George Karras wrote:
> > I am not so beginner as you describe me.
> 
> No where in my reply did I describe you as a beginner.
> 


Chad, I think that might be a language (English) / colloquialism barrier.

The replies said:-

  Try this one for starters:
    http://tinyurl.com/cgsu243

To which one might say "I'm not a starter, is there anything for more advanced programmers?"

  :)

IanB.

Edited by: Ian Barker on May 4, 2013 10:15 AM
0
Ian
5/4/2013 3:15:45 PM
Ian Barker wrote:

>   Try this one for starters:

This means "Try this first". 

It is a colloquialism.

-- 
Nick
0
Nick
5/4/2013 3:19:16 PM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> Ian Barker wrote:
> 
> >   Try this one for starters:
> 
> This means "Try this first". 
> 
> It is a colloquialism.

I usually translate it as "to begin with".



-- 
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)    http://www.teamb.com

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it 
 harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
 -- Bjarne Stroustrup
0
Rudy
5/4/2013 3:58:04 PM
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:

> 
> I usually translate it as "to begin with".

That's a better translation.

-- 
Nick
0
Nick
5/4/2013 5:48:55 PM
On 5/4/2013 11:15 AM, Ian Barker wrote:
> Chad, I think that might be a language (English) / colloquialism barrier.
>
> The replies said:-
>
>    Try this one for starters:
>      http://tinyurl.com/cgsu243

Did any of you click the link to check out the book recommendation? :)


-- 
"Programming is an art form that fights back"
IntraWeb IRC and Web Chat:
http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Support/IRC.aspx
0
Chad
5/5/2013 12:37:39 PM
Ah, the perfect book for both beginners and old fogeys like me too!

IanB.


> {quote:title=Chad Hower wrote:}{quote}
> On 5/4/2013 11:15 AM, Ian Barker wrote:
> > Chad, I think that might be a language (English) / colloquialism barrier.
> >
> > The replies said:-
> >
> >    Try this one for starters:
> >      http://tinyurl.com/cgsu243
> 
> Did any of you click the link to check out the book recommendation? :)
> 
> 
> -- 
> "Programming is an art form that fights back"
> IntraWeb IRC and Web Chat:
> http://www.atozed.com/intraweb/Support/IRC.aspx
0
Ian
5/5/2013 2:58:19 PM
Reply: